Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mofabio posted:

Fair, yeah. I kind of suspect that he's fine with high-earners being free from work, and fine with low-earners having to work - even though his and anarchist criticisms of work apply to both. And I suspect he'll justify this view with something like, well, you have to "earn" your retirement though hard work and self-sacrifice.
Uh oh, scare quotes!

This is getting dangerously off-topic, but I'm curious as to what you're saying the anarchist alternative is. In an ideal anarchist world, everyone would be FI and free from work, because...? What exactly is the replacement for people earning an early retirement by working and saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BossRighteous posted:

60k as an on-the-top bonus? To stay 1 year? Woah.
Not to stay 1 year. To stay 1 year full-time instead of 80% time. So 60k for ~50 days of work.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Well it's more than just anarchist, but some people (myself included) believe that every human should have a certain set of base standards simply because they are alive and a fellow human and we have the ability to do so. I mean, isn't this veering into "why should we keep a quadriplegic person alive if they can't contribute to society?"
I was asking that specifically because I was curious as to what mechanism anarchists would propose to provide for people, considering they don't believe in having a state.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

Governance =/= Government.

Stateless pirates provided workers comp for lost limbs. It's not impossible.
How much workers comp? For what period of time? What percentage of pirates who lost limbs did this happen for?

But seriously, I don't doubt that providing for the needy could happen some of the time in some stateless societies. I just seriously doubt it would happen at anywhere close to the same rates it currently happens in modern developed countries.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The main problem I have with that calculator is that there's no way to set a different spending rate for post-retirement.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's a good post, don't see what the problem is (he even includes a counterpost). He's absolutely correct that most people don't seem to consider the real costs of a dog. That doesn't mean nobody should get dogs, it just means that people should really consider all the downsides.

For example, I have a relative who doesn't make much money (or seem to be managing it very wisely...) whose family recently donated some money to him to help pay for his dog's medical expenses, because he didn't have enough to pay for them. Or just look at how it's hamstrung KG: he's a programmer living 4 hours away from the programming capital of the world, normally it would be a no-brainer for him to go there early in his career for career growth, but it's extremely difficult for him to consider taking a job there because of his dogs and cats.

Dogs aren't like other lifestyle purchases because the emotional component is obviously so strong. That means they can be more rewarding, yes, but it also means that giving them up if you decide getting a dog was a mistake is super hard, arguably harder than reversing a mistake with a car or home purchase, so really contemplating whether it's a good idea to get a dog is important.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Inverse Icarus posted:

He definitely makes a bunch of leaps, though. "WHAT IF THE DOGS MAKE YOU BUY A HUGE TRUCK YOU NEED TO FILL WITH GAS ALL THE TIME?! HOW ARE YOU GOING TO RIDE WITH YOUR DOGS ON YOUR BIKE?!"
No, he's absolutely correct that getting pets can lead to other potentially expensive lifestyle decisions. As I said, just look at how having pets has handicapped KG's job search. And before that, he moved from a cheap apartment to a more expensive rental home mostly because of pets. That's not everyone, but I don't think those kinds of decisions are an outlier either. I have another single friend who moved from an apartment close to work to a house further away, partially justified because of getting a backyard for his dog.

edit: to be sure, this same logic applies to kids except even more so, but I think that people tend to be more aware of the huge impact having a kid will have on their life.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 8, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think it's hard for him to figure out how to do it creatively (or rather, it wouldn't occur to him to post about how to do it creatively, or maybe he doesn't think he could do the topic justice) because he doesn't have a dog himself, whereas he does shop for groceries, use the internet, drink beer, etc.

edit: I admit I am biased here because I don't want a dog or cat for precisely the reasons he outlines. I do like pets, but kids are enough of a restriction on my freedom/drain on my finances, thanks.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 8, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Struensee posted:

So in Denmark, we pay taxes on both realised and unrealised gains on securities year by year. The tax rate on these gains starts out at 27% for the first ~10000 bux and 47% on anything above that.
Whhhoooooaaaa. Guess Denmark can't be awesome in every way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

20k emergency fund sounds fine to me since it also sounds like you two have frugal habits. Have you looked into whether your company supports the mega backdoor Roth IRA?

http://www.bedrockcapital.com/blog/bedrocks-guide-to-saving-for-retirement-the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm surprised that people are surprised. His blog is extremely popular and it was already known that he monetizes it, he's talked about this before.

It'd be one thing if someone discovered that he secretly takes luxury trips to Paris every year or something, but simply making lots of money doesn't directly undermine his message, especially since he stopped working before he had the blog.

Not a Children posted:

Welp, it was a big mistake to let that out. No matter how anal you are about saving, it's hard to truly believe someone who espouses the possibility of FIRE for the layman while making mid-6-figures from sponsorships. Hell, I found it hard to buy into it knowing that he rode the height of the dot com boom to an exceedingly good start in his 20s.
But he already was FIRE'd before that.

Whether the path he followed to initially become FI applies to "the everyman" depends on your definition of everyman. If you go by the median household income for everyone, becoming FI quickly is definitely very difficult. On the other hand, if you're talking median household income for college-educated white collar professionals (which seems to be the target demographic for the blog), then it's at least moderately realistic, especially if it's a DINK household.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 23, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm adopted and I think it's awesome - we want more kids than we have time, so I think we're going to try to adopt the last ones.
Maybe you could use Adoptly to find the right one!

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14319654/adoptly-tinder-for-child-adoption-app-kickstarter-parody-startup

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

Agreed here. Goodwill tends to be more miss than hit for men's clothing, but I don't think I've purchased a shirt that wasn't from Goodwill in the last two or three years. I'd never buy socks and underwear there and men's jeans are usually too worn out to be worth buying used, but you can typically find 1-2 decent things whenever you go even for men.
Check your size privilege! As a skinny dude trying to get stuff at thrift stores or retailers like Ross/TJ Maxx was an exercise in frustration. I have a pair of APCs because they actually fit me, which is more than I can say for almost any mainstream brand (I do most of my clothes shopping on occasional binge trips to Uniqlo now).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ralith posted:

What risk are you eliminating by paying off a mortgage? You're never going to magically end up owing more money than interest, and interest is predictable (not to mention cheap).
The risk that that money would've otherwise been in stocks that could collapse in value. Paying off a large debt that requires monthly payments provides a safer effective return.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mofabio posted:

Recession's more likely in the next year when you're 10 years away from the last one, versus 2 years. I don't think anybody, except maybe Ralith, disagrees with that.
Of course it's more likely. The problem is that even when that's true and you use it as the basis for a strategy, you may well end up losing compared to just buy and hold, because the market may continue to rise before the recession, and so the bottom of the recession might still be higher than the point at which you reallocated to safer investments.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

Basic question that's most definitely answered but it's not in the OP so :shrug: : Should I focus on maxing out my 401k if I intend to retire early? I'll definitely have to pay the early withdrawal penalty, right? So what would be the point? Shouldn't I just put all my savings into an index fund instead?
You can pull money out early from a 401k using a roth conversion ladder or SEPP (aka Rule 72t), so in practice yes max out your 401k.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The problem is that the high-paying jobs are usually the ones that are less flexible about reduced hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hoodwinker posted:

I absolutely use consumables and pop cooldowns whenever possible in RPGs. It doesn't make sense to hoard them when you can derive a non-zero value from them with use.
We should make a game where consumables sitting in your inventory slowly generate a tiny trickle of new gold over time.