Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It seems weird to have secret retirement savings, even if she doesn't ask, but I don't know you or her so I'm in no place to judge your relationship. I don't have a wife or anything, but I tell my cats everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Lightning Zwei posted:

1) The people who put the money in their Vanguard are selfish and honest about it.
2) The people who give their money away are selfish and deluded.*

*The exception being that a lot of people give to charity because it makes sense tax-wise but you could argue they belong in the first category.

Like others have said above, if you're going to donate anything then donate your time. Haplessly throwing money at people in the hopes that you can change the laws of nature is just foolish. In the end, all altruism is inherently selfish so instead save your money, be responsible, and take care yourself and your loved ones.

I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but come on this is ridiculous. There's lots of great charities out there that can be identified by thorough research and communication. Sure, volunteering your time is great, but they need money too. You don't have to choose between keeping 100% of your money for yourself and donating 100% of your money. Plenty of us aggressively save as well as donate regularly to charity. Nobody is telling you that you have to do the same, but don't call my decisions foolish when you don't know how I reached them.

As has been said before, Financial Independence is about being able to make decisions for yourself.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

Goons literally giving their money away ITT.

Have you seriously never given anything to anyone? You've never done somebody a favor or helped out a friend? I guess that's in line with frugality, but it's not a life I'd want to live.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Somebody said it best in another thread here, that an emergency fund should generate a return like airbags should make your car go faster.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I don't understand why anybody would do that unless they entered some weird alternate reality where savings accounts and money market accounts no longer exist?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I might be paranoid, but I'm personally more worried about theft. If somebody gains access to my account in some way (forged check, lifted debit number and pin, or even in person with a gun and a ride to an ATM), I want my emergency fund to be safe. In fact, something happening where my checking account got cleared out is one of the specific emergencies I'd think an emergency fund would be useful for. Even if you get the money back, it would likely take some time and I don't want to miss a mortgage payment over it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

A debit limit serves to help this as well. Also you should probably be even more worried about identity theft and malware on your PC getting your online banking/investment passwords than you are about whatever is in your savings/checking accounts.

Sure, but to me it's about balance between risk and liquidity. Moving money from checking into savings has just about no decrease in liquidity, but has an arguably large decrease in risk. You could decrease your risk even further with bars of gold in a safety deposit box, but that would reduce liquidity. A good rule of thumb for me is that if I wind up in jail, I should be able to access that money from jail that night to post bail.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, it can be pretty discouraging when you find out how much people like money mustache actually rake in. Of course financial independence is easier when you have more money. The easiest situation would be inheriting enough money to be set for life, and then it gets progressively harder from there. Learning how to live on 50% of your income at $30k though is theoretically just as effective as living off of 50% at $100k. Sure it's more difficult to do, but if you can pull it off, you're in just as good a spot.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

TLG James posted:

My checking account is pulling 2% interest. I think my savings account is pulling something pitiful like .2%.

It used to be 4%.

Sorry, lack of context; I was talking about an emergency fund. There are definitely very valid reasons to put money in a checking account instead of a savings account, and it seems like you've got a great deal on yours.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

He's just a bit of a hypocrite now, because while he seems to have started out completely honestly and legitimately, he's basically come out of retirement to work his new job as a super famous blogger who makes an undisclosed but presumably huge amount of money by blogging about how you don't need to make money.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cicero posted:

The whole point of financial independence isn't that you do zero work, it's that any work you do is chosen without the implicit coercion of "I have to do this or I won't be able to afford rent." Besides, writing roughly one blog post a week doesn't exactly strike me as a time-consuming endeavor. He probably spends what, a few hours a week actually writing?

My point is more that Financial Independence is really easy when you're pulling in (presumably) six figures for making one blog post a week, so any information about his current situation isn't really relevant to me.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

It doesn't matter how much he's making now, just that he's spending <$25k/yr and is presumably happy. All because he saved up $600k and can now live off those dividends alone. Not getting why his current income is relevant.

I may be mistaken, and it's difficult to say since he redacts all the numbers whenever he posts stuff about money, but I am under the impression that he's no longer living that lifestyle and his blog has basically become a work of fiction. I could be wrong, and it's honestly not my business how he lives, I just found his blog to be taking a shift towards more political opinion than useful financial advice, and it was no longer relevant to me so I stopped reading it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ah cool, I hadn't seen that post, so that's some interesting insight. That said, I don't even see that as a particularly frugal budget. For somebody that champions bicycles and calls people "car clowns," he sure spends a lot on gas. 25k sounds like a cheap annual expense, but considering he pays no rent or mortgage, it's not that unusual. If you figure average is something like $1250/mo on mortgage or rent (and this varies wildly by location, but humor me), that's an additional $15k, bringing us to $40k annual expenses. To afford that, you'd need an annual pre-tax household income of over $50,000, which is right around the median income in the US.

Again, I don't mean anything personal against the guy, and there's good advice to be had there, but he's honestly a pretty average guy with pretty average habits. The big huge important advice he gives, is that you don't have to expand your lifestyle as your salary increases, and everyone can be pretty happy living with totally normal and average spending habits. If this were the way he phrased it, I think I'd be more likely to continue reading his blog, but he's got this awful attitude where he thinks he's better than everyone else and it's really off-putting.

He's a fortunate dude who was smart enough to exercise common sense and take advantage of windfalls, but I don't think he deserves his reputation as a champion of frugality. I don't think that means he's lazy or a sell-out or anything though, and I agree that the criticisms of that nature posted earlier have got to be trolling.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

No Wave posted:

They're not trolling. I don't think you're in touch with the reality of how people see money in the US.

You say "early retirement" and 95% of people look at you like you have three heads.

I think we're talking about two different things. I was referring to the comment that being frugal and riding a bicycle is lazy. That just seems intentionally inflammatory to me. I do however think statements like the above can be dangerous. What's relevant to the people who subscribe to SA is not representative of the general public. Most people will think you're crazy to consider early retirement because they're living paycheck-to-paycheck not because of irresponsible spending but rather being born into inescapable poverty. That's outside the scope of this thread though.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cicero posted:

Most people in the US aren't born into inescapable poverty though, and yet most Americans still live paycheck to paycheck. What is with the whole "lol the US is a third-world country" thing going around SA these days? Yes the US has crappier social services compared to western Europe and things suck more for the poor here, but goons seem to be intent on exaggerating the problems until it sounds like the US is some North Korea-level hellhole.

You're twisting my words around, but this thread isn't the place for this argument. I didn't say most people are in poverty, I said most people who can't comprehend early retirement are, but maybe my experience is different from yours. Anyone I know who's well-off enough to be able to consider a 401k have at least had a brief mental debate about the possibility of retiring before 65, even if they ultimately discounted it. The only people I've met who would "look at me like I have two heads" if I mentioned ER did so because they had no money to set aside for retirement at all.

Whether or not we need more social programs or anything to that effect has nothing to do with what I said, and I never called the US a third-world country, so I don't know where the hell that came from and can only assume you're the one with an agenda.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

God, this threads and the Newbie Personal Finance one remind me that
1) I'm single, and haven't had a lot of luck in the dating world
2) Maximizing savings is of course way easier with two income earners and reduced joint expenditure (housing/utilities/food), especially early on for the best compounding interest benefits
3) Whomever I do eventually find, I may have to convince them to get under the same financial goals. Luckily, the MMM article linked above about savings rates graphs and years off working also had a link to an article about convincing your spouse to follow the same path (haven't read it yet though).

It could be worse, my girlfriend has six figures of student loan debt and can't find a job.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Don't try to time the market. Barring any obvious signs of a bubble, buy a house when and if you feel is the right time for you to enter home ownership. Things like market price fluctuations are fairly minor compared to the ongoing expenses (time and money) of home ownership.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

loki k zen posted:

I guess my issue was there are loads that say yes and loads that say no, and without knowing much about finance idk who to believe.

It's a home, not an investment. If you want to set down and stay somewhere a long time, consider buying a house. If you don't there's nothing wrong with renting and using all the money you save to invest more. They both have their pros and cons.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If you're going to factor in things like that, you'd also need to factor in the savings of not having medical costs in later life from being out of shape and obese. Alternatively, add in the savings of not needing a gym membership to the bike riding.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

loki k zen posted:

This may not be a popular one, but not drinking alcohol has saved me so much money.

I didn't exactly have a choice about that, but my fiance has found that living with me it's really easy to just not drink at home except on special occasions (house party, occasional beer and pizza night) because nobody else is and it has saved him a huge amount of money too.

I haven't completely quit, but cut way back for health reasons (I need to lose a ton of weight), and a nice side-effect is that I'm saving about $200/mo. I knew how much I was spending, but I never really thought of how ridiculously large of an amount that is. My new regime is I pick up a box wine (that's actually pretty decent) for $18 and it lasts me 2-3 weeks when I limit myself to one glass per night. Now that I've broken the ritual of cracking open a bottle of nice wine with every dinner, or tossing back a six-pack on the weekends, I sometimes don't even have my one glass because it's really just not that important.

I think the key here isn't that it has to be cheap poo poo, or that you have to be a teetotaler, but rather that it should be treated more like a special occasion thing than a hobby.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It's been interesting for me since I've been undertaking lifestyle changes to lose the aforementioned weight, how similar the lifestyle changes for weight loss are to frugality and FI. You can go on spending freezes or crash diets to get yourself out of a really bad situation, but without major lifestyle changes, you'll probably go back to your old ways and get right back into the same kind of trouble. The solutions are pretty similar too: tracking spending and tracking calories.

The greatest advice that I've found for both situations is to never do anything unless you're willing to do it every day for the rest of your life. If you try it and it's not something you can imagine doing long-term, it will eventually fail and you need to try a different approach. Generally what it comes down to is finding sustainable moderation in all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

This is very state based, but licensing for food making can be onerous. Some states require a commercial kitchen which can cost over $100 an hour to rent out.

We looked into this when my wife wanted to make and sell caramels and it just didn't make sense. Some states have exemptions for production below a certain amount. Ours, alas, does not.

If this is something you want to do, check and see if your neighborhood has a community association that has a commercial kitchen available, or if anyone you know has one in theirs. You might be able to find one that's available very cheaply or even free to people living in the neighborhood.