Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DanManIt posted:

Just a FYI but the average return of the market at 7-8% is after inflation is factored in. The reason for the 4% safe withdrawal rate is because that is the average dividend yield.

All of this is derived from long term trends (20+ years) and that's why the financial independence crew likes to use it.

Is it even reasonable to extrapolate past trends into the future, given the troubles virtually every developed nation is going through along with impending issues in nations like China or India?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tuyop posted:

I really don't see how it's this huge emotional issue for people. My parents bought a cottage instead of paying for my education. This is literally exactly how it was explained to me, and so I joined the army to pay for part of my school (I didn't qualify for public OR private loans) and ruined my back for the rest of my life. I don't feel any resentment toward my parents for this, I have no idea what kind of person I'd be if they hadn't bought the cottage, but I'm very happy now.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but if you were to have money and still do this in America, you would screwing over your kid pretty fierce because of the financial aid regulations. It would be absolutely immoral to not contribute to your kid's college funds if you had the means, simply because not doing so would completely ruin their chance at going to university since they'd be ineligible for aid and be unable to afford school most likely (Even a state school without any aid whatsoever costs more than the maximum amount of federal loans you're allowed to take out when you look at housing costs, and any campus work wouldn't start to make a dent in those costs in most places).

But even if that's not how it works in Canada, if you simply can't grasp the concept of helping your own child out, then please, don't have kids. For their sake as well as everyone else's who can't stand to see kids grow up with such resentment for no good reason.