Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Liquid Communism posted:

the sheer amount of hot pans, boiling sugar, and other wonderful things that you can get hit with is amazing.

Boiling sugar is probably the most dangerous thing on Earth, for a variety of scars reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I was going to counter with pictures of people getting burned with fryer oil, but instead I read some articles about kids dying from turkey deep fryers. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Turkeybone posted:

I was going to counter with pictures of people getting burned with fryer oil, but instead I read some articles about kids dying from turkey deep fryers. :smith:

Having done both, I'll take the oil, thanks. At least it doesn't stick, solidify, and take skin with it when you desperately scrape it off. :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bunnielab posted:

You guys really are like stagehands.

I am so used to "behind", "hold", and "heads" that I yell them out in public all the time. Its kinda embarrassing at times.

poo poo even FOH people use "behind." At least we did when I was bartending.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Hauki posted:

I use stagehand terms all the time at the climbing gym because it's what comes naturally and people stare at me like I'm batshit crazy.

And yeah, I use behind and corner a lot in public too which is dumb and embarrassing.

I worked in theatre & film before I ever worked in a kitchen, so I also used points/hot points in the kitchen at first and people would ignore me.

I can tell when I work too much when I mean to say thanks while getting off the bus, but I just yell "Behind!" to nobody in particular instead.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Plan Z posted:

I say "heard" all of the time when given commands in World of Tanks. One clan member said it was like watching Hell's Kitchen.

Yes christ not enough people do this in all corners of life. So helpful in kitchens and paintball and everything where you need coordination.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Invisible Ted posted:

I can tell when I work too much when I mean to say thanks while getting off the bus, but I just yell "Behind!" to nobody in particular instead.

Sometimes I just say "Enjoy" to people, irrespective of whatever it is I just handed them.

Yes I work as a server how could you tell.

edit: On long days I sometimes tell people to "Enjoy" the check I just handed them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Some bussers don't learn about saying behind until you catch them coming and throat check them with a bloody cutting board you're "taking to the dish pit"

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
I used to work as a dishy with no aspirations to become a chef. Min wage job and badly organized - I had mountains of dishes to do when I met at my shift. I always thought it was pretty tough work until A. I started talking to the succesful chefs I know today and B. I read George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London. gently caress work ethics, that book's about survival in a kitchen.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
So my old head chef called my new place looking for me and to badmouth me to my new boss. Some one posted an ad on craigslist to not work at my old place because the owner/chef will gently caress with your hours and credit card tip amounts and a bunch of other stuff. He thought it was me even though the thing was mostly about FOH stuff. He called her to warn her that I would make up things on the internet if I didn't get my way. He then asked my boss a bunch of personal questions about me and then about her and her business. In summation, my old boss has gone completely insane.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So, I got promoted on my fourth day of work. Uberbossman (who is now just bossman to me) decided he liked me for the gig better than the person who was training for it. I have a feeling he wasn't 100% sure about who he was going to put where from the beginning, but I'm glad I didn't know that it was a Gladiator-style "audition" until I won.

So, I am now the GM of a restaurant. Since it's part of a "group" a lot of the paperwork is handled by the paperwork people, so my job is primarily ordering, server wrangling and customer service- specifically getting our online reputation out of the toilet.

My favorite server snipe hunt is to ask the new girl to empty the water out of the coffee machine so the coils don't rust (when the machine is attached to a water line.) I would tell them "get a big bucket, that thing holds way more water than you might think!"

I had a cook friend who liked to shout "HOT! HOT! I WILL BURN YOUR FACE! I WILL BURN YOU AND LAUGH! I WILL BURN YOUR MOM! COMING THROUGH! I WILL BURN YOUR MOM'S FACE!" I generally stick with "behind" or "right here" unless I'm doing something that the Canadians have made PSAs about.

Congrats on the food truck, Plan Z!

Delicious Sci Fi Well, know you're going to find out a lot about your new boss by how she reacts to that crap.

Kenning, do you ever get into polite-offs when you're out and about? Like, you and the cashier keeps saying the same things to each other at the same time, and leaving is difficult because you're both trying to get the last "thanks so much, have a great afternoon!"?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wrought I think that has to be some sort of record for you. Congratulations! Time for a new thread? :v:

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

So my old head chef called my new place looking for me and to badmouth me to my new boss. Some one posted an ad on craigslist to not work at my old place because the owner/chef will gently caress with your hours and credit card tip amounts and a bunch of other stuff. He thought it was me even though the thing was mostly about FOH stuff. He called her to warn her that I would make up things on the internet if I didn't get my way. He then asked my boss a bunch of personal questions about me and then about her and her business. In summation, my old boss has gone completely insane.

Incredibly loving illegal iirc. Not a lawyer, but consider consulting one.

So this morning, blessedly slow as it is, my first call is from someone in my city but in the area of the other store (same franchise) asking if its still open because no one is answering the phones.

Okay, call up the GM. Voicemail. Call up the AM. He tells me the new guy is there, he wasn't given a key, and no one can get their rear end over with a key. Joy. Lucky I have a key and a driver to courier it over.

Competence, Motherfuckers, Do You Have It?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Wrought I think that has to be some sort of record for you. Congratulations! Time for a new thread? :v:

Haha, the only constant is change.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Another thing cooking experience translates well to: molecular genetics benchwork.

Work with dangerous poo poo, sometimes sharp things, have to do a few things at once so you're not in the lab until forever, gotta be really accurate about things and keep things clean/sterile, and follow what are basically recipes when you're making up reactions.

And yeah, definitely still say "heard" and "behind" all the goddamn time and do that half slide thing to get around corners of the bench faster.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Haha, the only constant is change.

Nah, this is a promotion, not a new job. And it's probationary for 90 days. They haven't had a GM last that long all year. I think there have been 5 or 6 this year before me. I'm in restaurant management Thunderdome. I'm pretty sure the servers are taking bets on how long I'll last.

But they don't know what I've seen, man... The things I've done.

Right now I think most of the staff (and definitely the entire kitchen) underestimates me by a lot, which is where I like to start.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wroughtirony posted:

Kenning, do you ever get into polite-offs when you're out and about? Like, you and the cashier keeps saying the same things to each other at the same time, and leaving is difficult because you're both trying to get the last "thanks so much, have a great afternoon!"?

I've been known to say "Thanks so much" when I hand the checkout person at the grocery store some cash.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Kenning posted:

I've been known to say "Thanks so much" when I hand the checkout person at the grocery store some cash.

Non-restaurant thread lurker chiming in to say that as a lifelong retail slave, I do this all the time too...and when I get it from other people, I understand why.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Even before working in the restaurant industry I always figured when checking out at a store both sides saying "Thank you" made sense. The clerk is thanking you for your business and the customer is thanking the representative of the store for providing goods/services.

But beyond that I've gotten in the habit of telling people "Enjoy" instead of bye or anything. It has become a bit of a joke that I keep accidentally telling people to enjoy it when they say they are heading to the restroom.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Wroughtirony posted:

Delicious Sci Fi Well, know you're going to find out a lot about your new boss by how she reacts to that crap.

He already has a rep as being a crazy person and that pretty much cemented his status as a crazy person to my boss. She told me about it and asked if I needed any help dealing with him and that she asked him not to call back. I told her no and then we laughed about how crazy he is.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

"my pleasure" when I hand friends drinks :shobon:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

Nah, this is a promotion, not a new job. And it's probationary for 90 days. They haven't had a GM last that long all year. I think there have been 5 or 6 this year before me. I'm in restaurant management Thunderdome. I'm pretty sure the servers are taking bets on how long I'll last.

But they don't know what I've seen, man... The things I've done.

Right now I think most of the staff (and definitely the entire kitchen) underestimates me by a lot, which is where I like to start.

So uh, what's so wrong about this place?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Another thing cooking experience translates well to: molecular genetics benchwork.

Work with dangerous poo poo, sometimes sharp things, have to do a few things at once so you're not in the lab until forever, gotta be really accurate about things and keep things clean/sterile, and follow what are basically recipes when you're making up reactions.

And yeah, definitely still say "heard" and "behind" all the goddamn time and do that half slide thing to get around corners of the bench faster.

Most definitely. As a former lab monkey and devoted reader of this thread I think it's safe to say that cooking is one of the few careers that's even less financially rewarding than being a grad student and then a postdoc!

I once heard the maxim 'never trust a scientist who can't cook,' and I still agree 100% with that statement. If you can follow a PCR recipe you can cook, and (with the exception of baking) you don't need to be nearly as precise, plus you can eat the results, something you wouldn't do in a lab. Since leaving the bench, my few pangs about missing doing experiments can usually be calmed by doing some cooking.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yaaaaaaay, wandered to a seaside Boston restaurant to hand in a resume and got an interview on the spot. Sure, seems like the other 17 people applying there were as well, with years more experience than me, but it still felt good. Weirdly specific times too -- 2pm-4pm. And of course the resume asked 30,000 pointless and creepily specific things like all semi-chain joints do.

Honestly, all they need on application forms for these places is "WHAT POSITION", "HOW MUCH PAY" (None/Zero/Croutons), and "HOW MUCH DO YOU DRINK" to establish how much experience you have already. I'm not gonna cross my fingers, but I can hope. Maybe I can claw my way into server this time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Jobs I've been offered this month:

Wine/spirt sales rep
AGM of a upscale sports bar
Staying on the coverage list of every Derossi property except Death & Co.

Hmm. I want a job that will afford me more nice things, but I don't want to leave hospitality. I want to move up in hospitality, but I don't really want to leave beverage. I want to ball hard at great spots but I I don't want to freelance through the high season only be out of work again in February.

Also I want a pony.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

I generally stick with "behind" or "right here" unless I'm doing something that the Canadians have made PSAs about.

Just because I want to be the first one to post this in the thread, if anyone new doesn't know what she's talking about, it's this: Kitchen One All of them (The rest aren't kitchen related). These aired on cable TV in Ontario for a while. I spliced the kitchen one into my last job's training slideshow after teaching WHMIS 20 times made me crazy. It was awesome.

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm in restaurant management Thunderdome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhv8XoOA-Io

Congrats, and the best of luck. Trying to save (what sounds like) a sinking ship can be pretty loving stressful, but I'm sure you know that and I know you've been through worse. Make that place work, and don't take poo poo from anyone.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Jobs I've been offered this month:

Wine/spirt sales rep
AGM of a upscale sports bar
Staying on the coverage list of every Derossi property except Death & Co.

Hmm. I want a job that will afford me more nice things, but I don't want to leave hospitality. I want to move up in hospitality, but I don't really want to leave beverage. I want to ball hard at great spots but I I don't want to freelance through the high season only be out of work again in February.

Also I want a pony.

I truly have no idea what you do currently anyway.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
As someone who has struggled to save a restaurant as a GM for almost two years (and only starting seeing results a couple of months ago) good luck. You need anything let me know, I don't think we are *that* far from each other and I will be in NOVA a couple times in the coming months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Turkeybone posted:

So uh, what's so wrong about this place?

We'll find out in 3 weeks when it fall off the ceiling and lands on Wrought's head :v:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Turkeybone posted:

I truly have no idea what you do currently anyway.

I'm a consultant. Read: whatever pays. I'm probably more likely to get that pony than get into brand work, but we'll see.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'm a consultant.

Hey, me too! :FISTBUMP: Of course, I don't work in food...

Anyway, posted this last week in the general questions thread, didn't get a response.

Squashy posted:

SO, my buddy with the Pizza shop... finally wants to start cooking his own soup! This is a big deal, he buys all his food frozen from a pizza supply shop; the only cooking that he currently does is frying burgers on a flattop.

He wants to start with Broccoli Cheddar. The stuff he is currently buying is similar to what Panera serves. He is coming over today, and I'm going to teach him how to make soup. I decided to go with this recipe to start with:

http://www.food.com/recipe/panera-b...ese-soup-150384

It needs to be simple enough that he can learn it, as this is someone with no basic knowledge of sauce making, deglazing, etc. etc. This recipe does contain a roux base, but I'll just show him how to do it without explaining what it is.

My concern is my lack of knowledge of restaurant constraints, i.e. will this soup hold up sitting in a hotpot for 8 hours, or will it break? Is a soup made with Velveeta more durable?
Any suggestions for recipes would be greatly appreciated.

The recipe I posted is yummy, but it's way too time consuming. I've since experimented with simpler recipes, but haven't quite nailed it yet.

Any advice/recipes/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, me too! :FISTBUMP: Of course, I don't work in food...

Anyway, posted this last week in the general questions thread, didn't get a response.

The recipe I posted is yummy, but it's way too time consuming. I've since experimented with simpler recipes, but haven't quite nailed it yet.

Any advice/recipes/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can reduce the number of steps to make it a bit easier. In one pot, put your milk/cream/whatever and chicken stock on a low-medium heat, just to slowly warm it. You can start this going as you're chopping up your veg. In another pot, saute the onions in all of the butter, don't take them out of the pot. Once they've sweated out but are not completely cooked, add in your other veg (broccoli, carrots, whateverthefuck) and saute for a minute or two, you'll still want them crunchy (the timing on this will depend on veg and how it's cut). You can add in your spices at this point too, or at the end. Now will give your soup a bit more depth of flavour, at the end will make the spices a bit more pronounced. Once you're there, add in your flour. Turn down to a medium heat, stir like a loving madman (don't burn that roux!) until it's nice and thick. At this point, your liquid should be warm (but still below a simmer) and you can start ladling (or use a cup or whatever is easy, I usually grabbed a 1L measuring cup) the liquid into the roux, while continually stirring, still over a medium heat. If it's warm enough it'll thicken near instantly, and you can basically just keep a steady stream of liquid into your roux. Take off the heat and finish with cheese and spices/herbs/whatever, and then salt and pepper to taste. If your cheese is super lovely and isn't melting properly (packed shredded parm, I'm looking at you), add it in to the roux just before you add in your liquid, give it a good stir to combine and melt.

Short bullet point version:
-Put pot full of milk/cream and stock on stove at med/low heat
-Put butter and onions in pot, med/high heat, soften onions
-Put rest of veg (and maybe spices) in pot, cook but leave a bit crunchy
-Reduce heat to medium, add in flour, stir until thick
-Ladle liquid into roux while stirring
-Remove from heat, finish with cheese and spices/herbs, salt and pepper to taste

If you want a quick and dirty cream/roux soup, that's pretty much it. Substitute veg for whatever you want. Replace some stock with beer and you have a beer and cheddar. Etc etc etc. Last place I worked we had a beer and cheddar soup on the menu (a little more extravagant than this one) and a 'white' sauce for our Mac&Cheese, and I had no problems doing up 20L batches in 20 minutes (not including the time my milk/cream would be on the stove but like I said, just throw that poo poo on and go do some other stuff for a bit). It'll come out nice and hot so you can toss it directly into your steam well, or cool it properly and store. It'll reheat and hold just fine. I saw our poo poo re-used sometimes 4 days in a row (which is loving terrible and illegal and oh god the nightmares) and it still looked just fine. Literally the only way you can gently caress it up is burning the roux, or not cooking out the flour taste enough. Burned roux/cream is very easy to taste, even if you don't know anything, and if both the roux and the liquid are hot enough that they immediately start to thicken when stirred together, chances are pretty drat good that the flour's been cooked out enough.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Always thicken with corn starch, you can be gluten free, and it doesn't scorch like flour.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
With the roux, you know it's done enough when you can't smell raw flour anymore. That was the foolproof test at one of my old jobs when we would make beer cheese soup. As soon as it starts smelling at all toasted, start ladling in your liquid and you should be good to go.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Always thicken with corn starch, you can be gluten free, and it doesn't scorch like flour.
Do you mean "xanthan gum"?

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002

cant do a roux though, right?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Do you mean "xanthan gum"?

I've had 3 people this year tell me they didn't want our cilantro oil that's thickened with xanthan because its derived from toxic mold. :downs:

As far as roux, yeah you can't toast corn starch like you can flour, but you could brown the butter you sauté your veg in.

I personally just don't do roux anymore because every other drat person I get an order from is 'gluten free' :downs:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I personally just don't do roux anymore because every other drat person I get an order from is 'gluten free' :downs:

People turning a legitimate allergy problem into a trendy health-food delusion pisses me right off.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

With the roux, you know it's done enough when you can't smell raw flour anymore. That was the foolproof test at one of my old jobs when we would make beer cheese soup. As soon as it starts smelling at all toasted, start ladling in your liquid and you should be good to go.

Yup, when a roux is done is just something you learn from observation and practice.

Naelyan posted:

Good stuff.

Thanks, I already figured some of that out, but it's always good to get such a thorough reply. I have abandoned the roux, for the reason below.

Yup, that was the first change I made, as he has a nice little niche business in GF pizza. Also, I used Knorr veggie cubes instead of chicken stock, so he can sell it as Vegetarian AND Gluten-Free.

So, no opinions on using processed poo poo cheese?

My latest attempt used 16 oz of Velveeta (one half of a "loaf"), and 8 Oz of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. This provided a nice cheesy flavor, without tasting too much like processed cheese. If there is no "durability advtange" to using the Velveeta I'll skip it, but for now I want something that can be reheated a few times without breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can use iota carrageenan to get that velveeta texture with other cheeses. Nothing wrong with using a little velveeta for texture though.

• Locked thread