Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thoht posted:

So, this is interesting.

Willows Inn got busted by Department of Labor for unpaid stages and unpaid overtime.

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Excellent.

I've said it before, and will never stop saying it: If you can't afford to pay your workers a decent wage, your business has already failed, and you're just relying on others to prop it up out of their pockets.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I think the idea of a decent wage is very relative in this industry

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This. I always worked FOH or management, and was pretty horrified the first time I heard about stages. I still can't believe people agree to that nonsense.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The one true heezy posted:

I think the idea of a decent wage is very relative in this industry

i think we can all agree that the equivalent of less than $4 an hour is beyond the pale

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
So I got hit by a driver riding my bike again. This time it was a hit and run, probably no chance of catching the guy, unless a few nearby businesses had cameras pointing toward the street.

Broke my collarbone clean in half on the right side, and I'm supposed to start the new job on the 5th. Still haven't informed them of the injury, not even sure if I should. Wife's insurance coverage is insanely good, so I'll only be out maybe $200 when all is said and done, and I'm really going to insist on surgery, because I really don't have 6-8 weeks to just lay in bed and wait for bone to mend.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

So I got hit by a driver riding my bike again. This time it was a hit and run, probably no chance of catching the guy, unless a few nearby businesses had cameras pointing toward the street.

Broke my collarbone clean in half on the right side, and I'm supposed to start the new job on the 5th. Still haven't informed them of the injury, not even sure if I should. Wife's insurance coverage is insanely good, so I'll only be out maybe $200 when all is said and done, and I'm really going to insist on surgery, because I really don't have 6-8 weeks to just lay in bed and wait for bone to mend.

drat, dude. I'd say that cycling isn't kind to you and give it up. Glad you're not dead, though.

As far as not telling your new employers...how could you not? I think they'd understand, given the circumstance.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jesus gently caress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Midniter posted:

drat, dude. I'd say that cycling isn't kind to you and give it up. Glad you're not dead, though.

As far as not telling your new employers...how could you not? I think they'd understand, given the circumstance.

Yeah dude tell them. Not like it's a DUI.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hahaha tipping the kitchen out $52 today, wooooooo

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah dude tell them. Not like it's a DUI.

I did, haven't heard anything back though. Think they're all on vacation due to the holiday.

Got an appointment with my ortho guy Monday, just gonna ask him to do surgery since it'll only cost me 20bux, and it's a shorter recovery time, and doesn't involve me having to keep my arm mostly still for 6-8 weeks, which may as well be impossible for me.

On the upside, I found the guy that hit me's truck via Google Street View, he lives literally down the street from where I was hit, just hoping the police actually follow up on it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A while ago I brought up the problem of ants getting into the kitchen. I ended up dusting the problem area with some boric acid and that seemed to do the trick of keeping ants off our prep area floor. A week ago, however, we were invaded by swarms of flying ants coming in from a light fixture in the ceiling above the aforementioned problem area. I understand this is just a thing that happens with ant colonies but c'mon, that's just silly. Thankfully such swarms are short-lived and I doubt they found any suitable ground to expand in our kitchen.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone ever used the Crocs Bistro or Bistro Pro shoes? There is a sale going on. I've had one co-worker use them before and he seemed to like them. I've had my current ones for 11 months and the bottom part starting at the toe is starting to rip off heavily.

Deal: https://dealnews.com/Crocs-4-th-of-July-Sale-35-off-10-off-free-shipping-w-25/2022983.html Free Shipping on both.

Regular Bistro: $26.32

Pro: $35.09

Old shoe: ~$30 https://www.amazon.com/Townforst-Re...c+Work+Shoes+12

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Republicans posted:

A while ago I brought up the problem of ants getting into the kitchen. I ended up dusting the problem area with some boric acid and that seemed to do the trick of keeping ants off our prep area floor. A week ago, however, we were invaded by swarms of flying ants coming in from a light fixture in the ceiling above the aforementioned problem area. I understand this is just a thing that happens with ant colonies but c'mon, that's just silly. Thankfully such swarms are short-lived and I doubt they found any suitable ground to expand in our kitchen.

Are you sure it was ants and not swarming flying termites? Because that's a sign of a substantial colony feasting on your walls. 5 termite stars on Yelp.

https://cdn.orkin.com/images/termite-vs-flying-ant_350x240.jpg

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you sure it was ants and not swarming flying termites? Because that's a sign of a substantial colony feasting on your walls. 5 termite stars on Yelp.

https://cdn.orkin.com/images/termite-vs-flying-ant_350x240.jpg

Nope, I've seen both happen before and they're definitely ants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

odinson posted:

Anyone ever used the Crocs Bistro or Bistro Pro shoes? There is a sale going on. I've had one co-worker use them before and he seemed to like them. I've had my current ones for 11 months and the bottom part starting at the toe is starting to rip off heavily.

Deal: https://dealnews.com/Crocs-4-th-of-July-Sale-35-off-10-off-free-shipping-w-25/2022983.html Free Shipping on both.

Regular Bistro: $26.32

Pro: $35.09

Old shoe: ~$30 https://www.amazon.com/Townforst-Re...c+Work+Shoes+12

I used to rock Bistros back in the day, pretty comfortable and good non-slip, plus they can go through the dishwasher.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Am I the only one who's seriously freaked out by wearing kitchen shoes with holes and no backs?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

pile of brown posted:

Am I the only one who's seriously freaked out by wearing kitchen shoes with holes and no backs?

Ahaha, it's not that kind of croc.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The models he linked to are...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

:confused:

e: I mean, I think you should probably be wearing steels in the kitchen, but I know doing that all day sucks, especially if it's hot.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Steels meaning steel toe? Totally not necessary, but something that doesn't let 350 degree oil in is, and the Bistro and Bistro Pro models referenced above scare me.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Unrelated to shoes: I have a new minion at work, and it's the first time in almost a year I've had a minion that didn't immediately indicate how poo poo and useless they were. She's quick and picks things up fast and actually listens and we don't have to train bad habits out of her because she's never worked in a restaurant. 3/4 of the last minions have gotten fired or quit almost instantly, either due to being worthless or our GM being awful to them. I really hope this one lasts, we really need an extra closer. :3:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheKennedys posted:

Unrelated to shoes: I have a new minion at work, and it's the first time in almost a year I've had a minion that didn't immediately indicate how poo poo and useless they were. She's quick and picks things up fast and actually listens and we don't have to train bad habits out of her because she's never worked in a restaurant. 3/4 of the last minions have gotten fired or quit almost instantly, either due to being worthless or our GM being awful to them. I really hope this one lasts, we really need an extra closer. :3:

You know in your heart in a week she'll be gone at a different job.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Getting a metal plate in my chest Thursday. :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Getting a metal plate in my chest Thursday. :black101:

CdC slowly working on turning himself into an actual Cuisinart.

Stay safe, cyborg chef.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Bussamove posted:

CdC slowly working on turning himself into an actual Cuisinart.

Stay safe, cyborg chef.

That's my real endgame.

Man let me tell you h'what, the stockpile of painkillers and benzos I have right now is kinda ridiculous. And I can only assume it gets sillier after surgery because it's just assumed that people can't handle pain for a month or more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's my real endgame.

Man let me tell you h'what, the stockpile of painkillers and benzos I have right now is kinda ridiculous. And I can only assume it gets sillier after surgery because it's just assumed that people can't handle pain for a month or more.

That's the major reason we have such an opioid addiction problem in this country.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/06/before_addiction_man_who_stole.html

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think a high pain tolerance is a requirement for working in this industry.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's the major reason we have such an opioid addiction problem in this country.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/06/before_addiction_man_who_stole.html

Opioids also lower your pain tolerance after you go off them, too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Going back to bug chat:

Flies. We have a serious fly problem now that summer's in full swing here in VA. I mean, it's not a plague of biblical proportions, but it's bad enough that I'm terrified of accidentally packing out a clamshell with a fly in it. Someone will ask "JD, where's [thing in the walk-in]?", I'll turn away for second to answer, and when I look back there's three flies just chillin', getting their curry mango chix salad on. Blech.

Heard we had an Orkin dude come in the other day, but if it's anything like how fast stuff usually gets fixed (eg, took five loving days to get someone to look at our one fridge that was running at 50 degrees), I'm stuck with these flies for a while, unless someone's got some cool tips...?

One of the managers said we can't hang fly paper because it's against code, but I'm thinking that's BS. I've seen plenty of places with fly paper (granted most of them were hole-in-the-wall Chinese/taco joints); is that really verboten in kitchens? Frankly I'd rather risk an easily correctable VDH write-up than an irate customer finding a fly in their food --- and this being a co-op, you just KNOW it would be a vegan board member or some poo poo.

also: CdC, best wishes for your upgrade to cyberchef! :black101:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Please be extremely careful with those.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Steels meaning steel toe? Totally not necessary, but something that doesn't let 350 degree oil in is, and the Bistro and Bistro Pro models referenced above scare me.

None of the work models of Croc have holes in the toe. They're just a rubber clog with a back strap instead of a low heel. They're as good against hot oil as any other low shoe and aren't permeable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

I think a high pain tolerance is a requirement for working in this industry.

every time i've met someone who's worked in the industry at some point in the night we end up drunkenly competing to see who has more burns and scars

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Going back to bug chat:

One of the managers said we can't hang fly paper because it's against code, but I'm thinking that's BS. I've seen plenty of places with fly paper (granted most of them were hole-in-the-wall Chinese/taco joints); is that really verboten in kitchens?

There are the wall mounted fly trap systems, those use fly paper, but they smell. The blue light UV zapper traps work great, but are expensive.

If you have drain flies, see if you can hit the drains with Simple Green. It's almost identical to the stuff the pest control person will use. It breaks down the flies food source and stops them from breeding.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Our DM is cheap as gently caress so we've just been bleaching the drains every night and keeping fans running in the dish pit and prep area. So far it's worked pretty well keeping the little bastards out, honestly. We have a relatively small kitchen though.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Going back to bug chat:

Flies. We have a serious fly problem now that summer's in full swing here in VA. I mean, it's not a plague of biblical proportions, but it's bad enough that I'm terrified of accidentally packing out a clamshell with a fly in it. Someone will ask "JD, where's [thing in the walk-in]?", I'll turn away for second to answer, and when I look back there's three flies just chillin', getting their curry mango chix salad on. Blech.

Heard we had an Orkin dude come in the other day, but if it's anything like how fast stuff usually gets fixed (eg, took five loving days to get someone to look at our one fridge that was running at 50 degrees), I'm stuck with these flies for a while, unless someone's got some cool tips...?

One of the managers said we can't hang fly paper because it's against code, but I'm thinking that's BS. I've seen plenty of places with fly paper (granted most of them were hole-in-the-wall Chinese/taco joints); is that really verboten in kitchens? Frankly I'd rather risk an easily correctable VDH write-up than an irate customer finding a fly in their food --- and this being a co-op, you just KNOW it would be a vegan board member or some poo poo.

also: CdC, best wishes for your upgrade to cyberchef! :black101:

The thing I have learned about pest control is that no matter what professional service you use, you won't be happy, and flies are probably the hardest thing to control of all. Our restaurant has an especially hard time with them since we have this open air vibe thing going with two huge garage doors that lead from the dining room onto the patio. The only way I have managed to get flies under control is by making the front of house KEEP THOSE DOORS loving CLOSED. You need to get probably some fly lights (and preferably blowers for your kitchen entry/exit), or rent them from your pest control company, and then just try to keep your doors closed as much as you can (make sure nobody is propping them open for deliveries, convenience, "fresh air" or whatever). Also look for anything gross around your entrances like sloppy loading areas, mop stations, grease recycling bins, linen hampers etc. and clean that poo poo up. My staff also completely obliterate the air with contact insecticide twice a day when no one is in the building, but I can't in good conscience recommend that to anyone else. As far as I know, at least where I am, the fly strips that hang from the ceiling are a health code violation, but if I were in between inspections and felt like I wouldn't be seeing anybody from the dept. I wouldn't feel too bad putting some up, because it's definitely less gross than having flies landing in/on your food!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 5, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Place I used to work at had a bad fly problem in the summer that nothing could get rid of. They just resorted to hanging up fly sticks after service and taking then down before service started the next day.
It was either that or run around with a fly swatter.
The place was immaculately clean it was just way the gently caress out in the country.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, where I'm at, it's the deli in the back of the store. So it's not a far journey for the flies to venture from the dumpsters/compost bins, thru the loading dock, and into my kitchen. :/

Usually the production cooks and bakers are done by 1 or 2 pm, and they turn the Vulcan off and kill the hood fan since no one's gonna be using the range. I have definitely noticed that the problem's worse in the afternoon, so today I told them to please leave the hood on. Maybe it was just me, or the fact that we didn't get trucks today, but that seemed to help a bit. I'll see about getting some more fans in.

I'd forgotten about those UV traps! We had them at the DFAC, and they actually worked fairly well. We're about to do a major remodel, but this is our slow season, so we're in a weird spot of "holy poo poo we're getting upgrades!" vs "holy poo poo, our sales are slow, budget cuts all around!" Money is flowing but tight at the same time. I'll suggest 'em, though, thanks for the reminder.

Also, confidential to Suspect Bucket and TheKennedys: love both your avs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone have any experience with pizza delivery systems?

My buddy has two pizza shops, and he wants to invest in heated delivery bags, where they have a ceramic disk that you plug in between orders. Something like this:
http://www.rediheat.com/

Personally, I think that it's not a great idea.
-too expensive
-takes up more room in the shop (you need to have a dedicated staging area to plug them in)
-the bags don't fold
-more poo poo that can/will break

I also think that plain old insulated bags work great, as long as you pack them and close them up properly.
The only time I see it being useful is for double/triple runs in the winter time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well this doesn't hurt, yet.

• Locked thread