Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Splizwarf posted:

Boiling sugar is probably the most dangerous thing on Earth, for a variety of scars reasons.

I'll preface this by saying I do not work in a bakery.

One of our desserts features dulce du leche, which was in the process of being made and not ready when an order came in for that exact dessert. I start helping out garde manger, making caramel on the fly as a substitute. Naturally, I forget exactly what power I am working with and I quickly dip my finger in it (!!!!) and taste it (!!!!) before my finger tells me to stop you loving idiot what are you doing to me.

Fortunately no third degree burns, but gently caress that blister sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Invisible Ted posted:

Fortunately no third degree burns, but gently caress that blister sucked.

You know how we've all done that stupid thing were you see a knife falling and you either try to grab it or prevent it from hitting the floor with your foot like it's a spoon or a pot?

Well, my candy thermometer fell into some sugar that was boiling like crazy to make pralines or something. While I was standing there. So what do I do?

I see it.

I reach for it.

I grab it.

An inch into the sugar.

Two of my fingers and my thumb were completely hosed for a solid month. Because I'm super smart.

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, no opinions on using processed poo poo cheese?

My latest attempt used 16 oz of Velveeta (one half of a "loaf"), and 8 Oz of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. This provided a nice cheesy flavor, without tasting too much like processed cheese. If there is no "durability advtange" to using the Velveeta I'll skip it, but for now I want something that can be reheated a few times without breaking.

Processed poo poo cheese will probably end up by holding your soup together until the apocalypse comes because of all the poo poo in it. You're probably fine using whatever gives you the best texture/taste/price point.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Why would you stick your finger in anything in the first place??
Tasting spoons exist for a reason, we've had it beaten into us so much. One spoon to go into whatever your tasting drip onto the spoon that goes in your mouth.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Thumposaurus posted:

Why would you stick your finger in anything in the first place??
Tasting spoons exist for a reason, we've had it beaten into us so much. One spoon to go into whatever your tasting drip onto the spoon that goes in your mouth.

I usually use tasting spoons but I was rushing super hard and not thinking (obviously). Fortunately the caramel was hot enough to kill living tissue :gonk:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm still acutely paranoid of all heat and hot things in cooking thanks to a 2nd degree burn trying to make pancakes as a kid. Spitting oil makes me reflexively leap for cover. When I worked with the head chef learning some things at the bistro, he immediately noticed my skittishness around the pan sizzling and plainly told me "Whatever happened, stop letting it happen, and don't fear the pan. Get used to little burns."

Sure he's right, but easy for him to say. I'm stupidly acute to sensation and pain. I'm still working on not flinching all the same. :(

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

I'm still acutely paranoid of all heat and hot things in cooking thanks to a 2nd degree burn trying to make pancakes as a kid. Spitting oil makes me reflexively leap for cover. When I worked with the head chef learning some things at the bistro, he immediately noticed my skittishness around the pan sizzling and plainly told me "Whatever happened, stop letting it happen, and don't fear the pan. Get used to little burns."

Sure he's right, but easy for him to say. I'm stupidly acute to sensation and pain. I'm still working on not flinching all the same. :(

I'm also easily/overly startled by things. There are various ways to address that problem. From a cognitive perspective, you can recognize your reaction as one that doesn't help you do your job and consciously decide to shut down that flinch/jump/panic reaction as soon as you can. Think of your job as exposure therapy. Every time you flinch, that's a chance to recover faster and be less afraid. If you let that poo poo get into your head and let every tiny drop of oil that hits your skin reinforce your fear, you will be panicky and jobless. You are not a special super sensitive snowflake. You are a badass line cook who refuses to take poo poo from a god damned frying pan. Yes, it's easier said than done. I am saying it because I have done it. You've got this.

Garregus can you gmail me? shesajar. You don't have PMs. Muchas Gracias.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Also, those coats go down to your wrists for a reason. They're heat guards and oil guard.

That said, us badasses roll them the gently caress up or wear short sleeves.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I don't think any of my burns were as bad as the time I slammed an oyster knife into my hand so hard that it split the skin without cutting through my glove. None of them took as long to heal, either. Still can't open my hand really wide without the scar pulling and hurting over a year later.

Though that one time I got a big ol' splash of oil from the fryer when I was frying chicken thighs was pretty goddamn unpleasant.

Funniest kitchen injury story I've heard recently: Dude at the place I worked at when I first moved here is a tall gay guy who apparently decided that he was going to celebrate DOMA being overturned in the gayest way he could think of: skipping everywhere he went that day. This ended in a concussion and stitches, and I'm sure you're thinking that he slipped or caught a mat or something, but no. It's better than that. Motherfucker skipped up and hit his head on the door frame to the kitchen so hard he gave himself a concussion. I mean seriously, what the hell is that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yup, that was the first change I made, as he has a nice little niche business in GF pizza. Also, I used Knorr veggie cubes instead of chicken stock, so he can sell it as Vegetarian AND Gluten-Free.

This is probably a large part of your problem - if you're looking for better-than-panera quality anyways.

Making real soup without real stock, it's just pointless....

Knorr cubes are excellent seasoning - but they're just seasoning. You wouldn't put just salt into water and call it a soup, so don't do it with knorr cubes! :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

Sysco veggie base is awesome :shh:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Haha even with loving long sleeves, I'd use the long-handled black steel pans which would go UP IN THE SLEEVES TO BURN ME.

Xanthan gives a hot jism/boogery consistency which isn't always desired. I think more of the traditional starches should be fine. That being said, I would cheat sometimes on saute.. if a sauce was on the verge of breaking I would mix in a pinch of xanthan and viola!

For my chili dog, we also engineered an unbreakable* cheese sauce that used xanthan, agar, velveeta, and cheddar. It was amazing.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Turkeybone posted:

Xanthan gives a hot jism/boogery consistency which isn't always desired. I think more of the traditional starches should be fine. That being said, I would cheat sometimes on saute.. if a sauce was on the verge of breaking I would mix in a pinch of xanthan and viola!

I've seen places that have little squeeze bottles of "sauce fixer" on the stations. It's just a premixed water+xanthan solution so you don't even need to buzz in the xanthan.

I also don't like using it to for other than a very mild thickening. I like it for purees because it gives them a nice smoothness, shine and stability but I don't really add it for thickness.

Ultratex is pretty awesome for thickening things in place of xanthan. It thickens like a starch but it doesn't need heat to activate, just shear like xanthan. Novation is also really nice if you want to thicken something into an instaglaze without clouding it or adding too much starch flavor but it needs heat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Naelyan posted:

You know how we've all done that stupid thing were you see a knife falling and you either try to grab it or prevent it from hitting the floor with your foot like it's a spoon or a pot?

Well, my candy thermometer fell into some sugar that was boiling like crazy to make pralines or something. While I was standing there. So what do I do?

I see it.

I reach for it.

I grab it.

An inch into the sugar.

Two of my fingers and my thumb were completely hosed for a solid month.

The entire tip of my left thumb isscar tissue from something similar. We bake our pecan rolls in a honey brown sugar smear, then invert the pan to glaze 'em with it when they're done. I was depanning a batch, lost my grip, and grabbed for the pan... just to submerge that thumb in soft ball caramel. I was glad I was alone in here that night, because I swore like a sailor for half an hour straight.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

mindphlux posted:

This is probably a large part of your problem - if you're looking for better-than-panera quality anyways.

Knorr cubes are excellent seasoning - but they're just seasoning. You wouldn't put just salt into water and call it a soup, so don't do it with knorr cubes! :)

Agreed, but seems like it would be wise to do things gradually with his new padawan. Show him that a soup people will pay money for is easy to make and suddenly he MIGHT feel the urge to do a 10 gallon soup stock on a sunday just for kicks and freeze it down into single batch portions.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

For my chili dog, we also engineered an unbreakable* cheese sauce that used xanthan, agar, velveeta, and cheddar. It was amazing.

I still dream of that dog. I never make it to Bmore much anymore sadly so I haven't been to BA in like a year and a half maybe.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

Agreed, but seems like it would be wise to do things gradually with his new padawan. Show him that a soup people will pay money for is easy to make and suddenly he MIGHT feel the urge to do a 10 gallon soup stock on a sunday just for kicks and freeze it down into single batch portions.

The best professor I ever had was fond of saying "Education is the process of lying less to the student over time."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Burns, in order of preference:

Contact (sheet tray, pan, etc.)
Liquid
Oil
Steam
Sugar

Cuts:

Knife (almost never happens)
Another actual blade (robo coupe blade, etc.)
Random sharp edge on a thing that should not have sharp edges (happens all the time)
Mandoline (eveyone does it once)
Slicer
Cardboard
Aluminum foil*cringe*

Anyone ever work with someone who faints at the sight of blood? I got to catch a brand new 17 year old dishwasher when he keeled over after he knicked his finger chopping parsley on his second day. Would it be legal to put that on a job application, or would asking "do you faint at the sight of blood?" be discriminatory?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where does vegetable peeler go on that scale of cuts

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Wroughtirony posted:

Aluminum foil*cringe*

Holy poo poo, this, a thousand times this.

Worse I seen was my manager at the deli who sliced her finger tip off with the meat slicer. Now, I didn't actually see the event, but I came rolling in for my closing shift to be told by upper management to clean up the human gore left splattered on the machine and table. Jesus wept.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Oh my god I literally cringed when I read aluminum foil cuts. Those things are so loving awful.

I will say that you should put grits/polenta on that burn list up towards sugar. It doesn't harden onto your skin and then rip it off, but it sticks for a minute, especially cheese grits. Plus that poo poo will pop at you while it's cooking and send a boiling hot missile of grits right into your goddamned eye.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Invisible Ted posted:

dulce du leche,

De leche.. it's latino, not french. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I still dream of that dog. I never make it to Bmore much anymore sadly so I haven't been to BA in like a year and a half maybe.

Dream on, brother. I haven't been at BA in a few years; the exec chef left a year after me, and so did the chili dog. RIP

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Fun cuts more me include star tips and ice. Like.. ice.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, those coats go down to your wrists for a reason. They're heat guards and oil guard.

That said, us badasses roll them the gently caress up or wear short sleeves.

Chef's been giving me poo poo lately 'cause he somehow just now noticed all the marks on my forearms. "You look like a cutter. Got some problems you wanna talk about?" Jerk. I *am* a bit of a klutz, and after five or six hours those hotbox racks get fuckin' hot as gently caress. Also plastic wrap blades :xd:

edit: ^ Ice? You win.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
How about hardened rice? Scraping it off a bowl or pot with my fingernail has, a couple times, really torn up the bed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

I think I've nicked myself on blades about twice ever in kitchens. I do, however constantly cut myself in ice machines, on frost inside freezers, and by sliding around tongs like a pro (you know, the edges on the inside).

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Weirdest kitchen injury I've had is definitely a dried fish splinter from shaving a sharp piece of katsuobushi that jammed and my hand kept going.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Naelyan posted:

Processed poo poo cheese will probably end up by holding your soup together until the apocalypse comes because of all the poo poo in it. You're probably fine using whatever gives you the best texture/taste/price point.

What about skipping velveeta and just adding some straight sodium citrate? Still easy enough to follow, but it might be too salty for soup on top of the knorr, I dunno.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

The ice was actually more like a frozen piece of meat: I was trimming up a pork butt for carnitas and the inside I guess was still partially frozen and I actually drew blood on a little sliver of ice. I really didn't get too many cuts in the kitchen; I cut myself with a serrated knife cutting croissants for bread pudding like 13 years ago.. then pretty much a boring/dry spell. I've had a couple good mandoline cuts, and the one where the other kitchen gently caress booby trapped me and I had to get stitches.

Burns? Like every loving day. I gave no fucks, and I never yelled out or said anything like a bitch.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

crackhaed posted:

Weirdest kitchen injury I've had is definitely a dried fish splinter from shaving a sharp piece of katsuobushi that jammed and my hand kept going.
Ooh!! If we're playing this game, then I'll add spearing my thumb with a chicken bone

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueGrot posted:

yeah, definitely. not advocating someone who can't even look up a recipe suddenly start making their own chicken stock. (though of course it'd be ideal) but there are commercial broth/stock products that are at least a little better than knorrs, nutritionally and body wise...

Turkeybone posted:

yeah, this is my weirdest too. I physically just lanced myself with a sharp???? shard of ice? like a splinter, where it's under your skin, and you can pull it out still. I put my hand into the ice dispenser aggressively, screamed, completely wtfed at a giant shard of ice stuck almost halfway under my thumbnail, pulled it out intact, and bled everywhere for the next half hour.

what the gently caress man, how can ice be so brutal? have gotten smaller skin cuts from it too.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

feelz good man posted:

Ooh!! If we're playing this game, then I'll add spearing my thumb with a chicken bone

Salmonella injection.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I cut out a large piece of my pointer finger while grating carrots. I was out of action for a few days to make sure the bleeding had stopped since I nicked a vein apparently.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Yeah cuts not very often, although I tend to scrape the back of my hands on loving plastic wrap cutters all the time. Burns though, practically a daily occurrence.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

mindphlux posted:

yeah, definitely. not advocating someone who can't even look up a recipe suddenly start making their own chicken stock. (though of course it'd be ideal) but there are commercial broth/stock products that are at least a little better than knorrs, nutritionally and body wise...

Absolutely. Additionally, to me, the lip smacking deliciousness of a bone boiled stock is key to a great soup. For the sake of a business, however, I'd make it gluten free, vegetarian safe and maybe even vegan safe. Are there any great choices that fall into the latter category?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

90s house continuous mixes are motherfucking marching music in the kitchen. Some guitar-solo-heavy classic rock is nice for the last hour of a closing shift; bonus points if it's an hour's worth of just 2 or 3 extended jams.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I've cut myself on ice pretty often: when you get big bags delivered from one of the ice houses for an event, you often end up with fast-frozen barrels that start melting the moment they come off the machine, so they're gathered into 35lb bags and stuck in a freezer. Thing is, the outside has started to melt and when it refreezes, it tempers and becomes more brittle. Cue me getting a delivery and using an event grade ice pick (a crowbar rinsed in gin, sometimes) to break it up and cutting my hand on sharp, brittle ice that now needs to be burned because I bled on it. Yay.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I stuck a knife into my hand once causing a 3 week holiday but the injury was so big it didn't actually hurt all that much at the time. The inner skins of chestnuts are irritating because they end up wedged in your nail bed and its hard to get out once its wedged in there.

Music tends to either be the radio or whoever's ipod cranking along. If it's my ipod it's a huge mix of various things but I've always found my go faster prep music is definitely electro and I used to listen to huge amounts of crystal castles or pendulum when I'd have to prep up the spring rolls in a previous kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bowmore posted:

ME GUSTA GASOLIIIIIIIIINA!!!!!

• Locked thread