Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

iphone/ipod right now and lately we've been listening to Gogol Bordello radio on Pandora and then switching to Tom Waits radio when it gets towards closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:

Wroughtirony posted:

ME GUSTA GASOLIIIIIIIIINA!!!!!

This. Something about how every song has the exact same rhythmic underpinnings makes it both relaxing and energizing to me.

Also random tribal mixed with Yoshida Brothers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

my go faster prep music is definitely electro

Justice is amazing for cranking out a lot of repetitive stuff like prep or cookies or dishes. :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wroughtirony posted:

Cuts:

Knife (almost never happens)
Another actual blade (robo coupe blade, etc.)
Random sharp edge on a thing that should not have sharp edges (happens all the time)
Mandoline (eveyone does it once)
Slicer
Cardboard
Aluminum foil*cringe*

Ohgodfoilnooooo. :gonk:

That said, my least favorite cut is actually splinters from a shattered piece of cast isomalt. Those were hell to get out.

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

Dropkick Murphys at a volume enough to shake flour out of the ceiling tiles, out of an old boombox I scavenged from a garage sale. It was cheap, and it works.

Probably jinxing it, but one of the two other bakers put in her notice yesterday (she got a better job, I'm super happy for her 'cause she's about to get married), and it miiiight get me off of overnights.

I don't know if I'll be able to reintegrate into normal society.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 25, 2013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our overnight custodian has a sirius subscription so we listen to the bluesville station all night when he's working.
When he's not I usually play something on pandora off of my phone.
When I'm by myself it's brootal metalz:black101:

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

I'll preface this by saying I do not work in a bakery.

One of our desserts features dulce du leche, which was in the process of being made and not ready when an order came in for that exact dessert. I start helping out garde manger, making caramel on the fly as a substitute. Naturally, I forget exactly what power I am working with and I quickly dip my finger in it (!!!!) and taste it (!!!!) before my finger tells me to stop you loving idiot what are you doing to me.

Fortunately no third degree burns, but gently caress that blister sucked.

I don't work in the food industry but I work in a print shop that uses plastic to harden our inks and when printing it is boiling at around 350 to 400 degrees. Our ink wells are about 3 inches deep and a new hire was printing and not paying attention. He had been warned and warned but 2 days ago wasn't paying attention and dropped his pen into the fountain and by pure reaction stuck his hand in to grab it. He got all of his finger into the well and we aren't sure he has any skin left on them. Super hot materials that harden on contact with skin? Nothing will save you.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Whenever I got a chance to listen to music, I'd crank up Pandora and run through a lot of Amon Tobin and artists of that ilk. poo poo lets you forget what you're doing while still being able to do it.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Gogol bordello is a fav here, though lately they have been leaning a littl more 90's angsty white boy.

Wrought I just shot you an e-mail.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gogol is great cooking music. It gets you bouncing.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
We don't even have music in the dining room, definitely no music in the kitchen. Fine dining totally rules :smuggo:

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
just heard the soundtrack from Braid

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
We would always listen to Manu Chau when doing our weekly powerwashing.

When this song would come on, we would all stop what we were doing and do this loving bizarre dance in unison which I can't even begin to describe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZny1Zs8ypE

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

crackhaed posted:

We don't even have music in the dining room, definitely no music in the kitchen. Fine dining totally rules :smuggo:

No chamber quartet? Not fine dining. :agesilaus:

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
I really wish I had a kitchen with drains so I could powerwash

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Garregus posted:

I really wish I had a kitchen with drains so I could powerwash

hahaha, drains? Start mopping buddy, gotta push that water outside somehow!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Bjay9 posted:

hahaha, drains? Start mopping buddy, gotta push that water outside somehow!

gently caress that old-time bullshit, technology to the rescue. Get a Shop-Vac for the "pushing it around" stage. Mopping is one thing but shoving the water around afterwards, while character-building, is a huge waste of (paid) time. Ain't great for morale either.

Good ole' Shoppie will have that oyster knife stabbed back through your palm in no time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bowmore posted:

this over and over into infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COghD-UyE3U

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What? Who doesn't have drains in a kitchen?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
We have drains in our kitchen! I mean, they're half clogged and the whole kitchen smells like fresh dog poo poo if you push any real amount of water into them, but they're technically drains...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

"Not available on mobile" :mad:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bowmore posted:

What? Who doesn't have drains in a kitchen?

We don't. If someone mops too enthusiastically, the neighbor next door complains their carpets are getting wet. :\

The landlord is on my list of people who deserve free beatings.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

No chamber quartet? Not fine dining. :agesilaus:

During service we have Gregorian chants playing in the kitchen:catholic:

When the old man custodian powerwashes the floors he has to make a dam of towels in front of the one walk-in door or else it floods into the freezer and makes a tiny skating rink.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Soaking and freezing the FoH management's ties is hilarious.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

bowmore posted:

When I worked in a kitchen, it was pretty much Sublime on repeat from a garage sale CD player.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Oh, we have drains. They are about 1" above the floor.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garregus posted:

Man I love that. I've got the same problem in my area.

And since I haven't made a job update in awhile, have one! I still work for the same grocery store. Another one opened up in the city, further away from me. People are being let go over attendance or quitting for whatever, so more room for advancement is around, assuming corporate lets me :v:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Garregus posted:

With a 2" air break between the drain and pipe? Because that's regulation in NYC, keeps sewage contamination to a minimum. Pain to clean, but thems the breaks.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Another benefit of being involved in the industry: bullshitting your way into invites and free entry to vip events/tastings all the time. Free alcohol forever.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I'm about three weeks into my first real job in the industry. Steakhouse that's pretty well regarded. I'm working the pantry station which encompasses the salads, raw bar and oddly desserts. Mostly bounce between the raw bar and desserts but I'll jump in on salads if they get slammed. I wish we could listen to music but sadly it's an open kitchen so no deal there. I just settle for listening to our head chef go off on the hot line guys. Poor guy's gonna have a heart attack because of them.

No injuries to report yet from here although I do have a good scar one of my fingers from slicing it open with a serrated knife. Cutting cake into layers can be tricky. And gently caress isomalt burns too. That poo poo is like napalm.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It's not that odd, "cold side" is a pretty typical setup for a restaurant that doesn't have a dedicated pastry person during service. Hope you enjoy getting DP'd; you'll get hit with desserts from the first turn and first courses from the second turn.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Vegetable Melange posted:

With a 2" air break between the drain and pipe? Because that's regulation in NYC, keeps sewage contamination to a minimum. Pain to clean, but thems the breaks.

They are talking about floor drains.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Turkeybone posted:

It's not that odd, "cold side" is a pretty typical setup for a restaurant that doesn't have a dedicated pastry person during service. Hope you enjoy getting DP'd; you'll get hit with desserts from the first turn and first courses from the second turn.

Oh, I already have. It's really hasn't been too bad all things considered. Although the waiters seem to have a sixth sense for ordering stuff while I'm doing something else. Fortunately, none of the desserts require too much work so they can put it together if they really need to. Still, it's a lot of fun nonetheless.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I have an interview on Monday for a sous chef at a small hotel. I totally need this job because the fancy pants restaurant I'm at now has left me flat broke, and is closing in about two weeks for god knows how long and I'm almost can't make rent, so I have to find something else.

I already have sous on my resume, but that job was basically just watching the restaurant for the chef when she wasn't there, recieving orders, telling her what we needed to order, major production, and running lunch service. No actual number cruching. This job us going to involve much more managerial poo poo I haven't done before, and I'm just wondering what to say in this interview to help me get this job. I mean obviously I want and am willing to learn all of this, but with what experience I do have I am hoping to talk it up enough to get it.

I'm trying to stay really positive about this though, because I was applying to a ton of poo poo on craigslist, and I sent them my resume for a line cook, they called me back, I looked at the menu and didn't call them back because it was real simple stuff and looking for something more high end. Then about a week later I get another call/email saying they were reviewing my resume and were wondering if I was interested in a sous position instead. Then I called them back immediately and set up an interview. I also remember seeing an add for it on craigslist amongst all the crazy job searching, but since I set up the interview it looks like they pulled the add.

And momo noodle bar just sent me an email wanting me to come in for a trail for a line cook, but the only day/time I can do it all week is when I have the hotel interview, and that jobs a shoe-in becuase my old chef was a sous their and I told her to call them before all this other poo poo happened. I mean I'd rather be a sous and make twice what I'm making right now, but I don't want to burn any bridges or seem like an rear end in a top hat either. fuuuuuuuck. I can't afford booze right now either so it makes this entire situation extra stressful.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Be straightforward, explain what is going on, if they are going to burn you for also considering a job that pays a hell of a lot more than they do then gently caress em. At least tell them you can do the trial but you have other obligations until next week.

Garregus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

cods posted:

And momo noodle bar just sent me an email wanting me to come in for a trail for a line cook, but the only day/time I can do it all week is when I have the hotel interview, and that jobs a shoe-in becuase my old chef was a sous their and I told her to call them before all this other poo poo happened. I mean I'd rather be a sous and make twice what I'm making right now, but I don't want to burn any bridges or seem like an rear end in a top hat either. fuuuuuuuck. I can't afford booze right now either so it makes this entire situation extra stressful.
Don't sweat it - you're a cook, they deal with cooks, cooks actually have to go to work.

Let them know you have an interview that day, they'll probably hook you up with one way sooner if you're talking to a live person.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yeah, the most I can do is be honest. I just got another call back for another sous job, but this one I sent my resume to as kind of a joke. The add said something along the lines of "looking for a dope rear end sous chef with mad skills for x location restaurant. Must have ill sense of humor." But honestly I'd rather have a lovely sous job and be on a decent salary than be a line cook. I'll pencil that poo poo in for Monday afternoon depending on what it is.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yaaaaay another interview lined up for Monday. Watch me get this job which is an hour commute away instead of something in my local neighborhood. Oh well. Money is money right now, as long as the tips are hot. The place does look pretty heavily occupied, but who knows with how the economy is going again of late. Hell, I don't even know what I'll be interviewing for, it's for "General Help" which could very well mean "Dishwashing Slave" or "Living Stool For The Manager To Do Lines Off The Back Of"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly I don't know how one could not get a job FOH in 3 weeks of trying. I guess your market may be different, but if you apply to 10 or 15 joints, follow up once a week, and look super perky, you can't avoid getting a stage. Even some vague experience can work. You just gotta show up.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
90% of FoH is showing up. 5% is up selling, 5% is being attractive and attentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

If you have open availability, an IQ above room temperature, can count change, take direction, show up sober and showered, and correctly answer the following multiple question, I have a job for you:

When is the best time to ask your manager for a Saturday off?

A. Friday, via text message
B. Two months ahead of time, interrupting a conversation with a customer, verbally, with no subsequent follow-up
C. Two weeks ahead of time, written on the back of a receipt you handed to the night manager.
D. "Hey wrought- here's a glass of water and my completed out time-off request form, I sent a copy to your email, too."
E. "Well yeah, my mom did die in a fire. But that just means nobody is around to guilt trip me about not going to funerals, and it's not like she'll notice. Can I come in early? I hear there's a motorcycle rally AND a Pentacostal tent revival in town that weekend! Oh, want a sugar free redbull? I brought extra."

Today's goal: No yelling

• Locked thread