Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I'm about three weeks into my first real job in the industry. Steakhouse that's pretty well regarded. I'm working the pantry station which encompasses the salads, raw bar and oddly desserts. Mostly bounce between the raw bar and desserts but I'll jump in on salads if they get slammed. I wish we could listen to music but sadly it's an open kitchen so no deal there. I just settle for listening to our head chef go off on the hot line guys. Poor guy's gonna have a heart attack because of them.

No injuries to report yet from here although I do have a good scar one of my fingers from slicing it open with a serrated knife. Cutting cake into layers can be tricky. And gently caress isomalt burns too. That poo poo is like napalm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Turkeybone posted:

It's not that odd, "cold side" is a pretty typical setup for a restaurant that doesn't have a dedicated pastry person during service. Hope you enjoy getting DP'd; you'll get hit with desserts from the first turn and first courses from the second turn.

Oh, I already have. It's really hasn't been too bad all things considered. Although the waiters seem to have a sixth sense for ordering stuff while I'm doing something else. Fortunately, none of the desserts require too much work so they can put it together if they really need to. Still, it's a lot of fun nonetheless.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So this past Thursday, I was supposed to get my first taste of working the hot line. Last second though I got moved back to my normal spot on the raw bar and desserts. It was probably a good thing however since it seemed like the guys who normally work the hot line had no idea what they were doing. I think the chef wanted to wait until we weren't so busy to give me my first go. I think because we had around 400 on the books including a large party, he didn't want it to get any more hosed then it ended up being.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Today's lesson to remember when doing prep work: when making lobster mashed potatoes, it's a good idea to actually put some lobster in it. Fortunately, it was a quick fix and it wasn't a desperate rush to get it done.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Man, last night was a real poo poo show. We had two really big parties come in (like 36 and 42 people roughly) and it seemed like the guys on the hot line just fell apart. Our head chef was not having a good day yesterday. At one point, he came over to my station with three microwave plate things and threw them into the microwave. I'm not exactly sure what they were for (I think it may have been some request for something we don't serve) but he was not happy with having to do it. The one bright spot was that our station (the pantry and raw bar)held up pretty well. Although I did get a bit spun around towards the end of the night when the second large party wanted their desserts and I had to scramble a bit. But otherwise, it went pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They were probably kosher meals. We have them on hand for banquets. If a group notifies us at least a day in advance, we can get a meal made by a kosher kitchen. Usually we don't and we have to give them SYSCO's finest frozen kosher meals.

You know what, I think you're right. Later in the night, I overheard one of the waiters mention that "the kosher table" had left.

• Locked thread