Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Freeezer inventory -- gently caress man I liked doing that at my job. Yes, it sucked, but as the sous it helped me know EXACTLY what we had (and didn't have), so I could plan out prep for a whole week or two. Also.. nobody else wanted to do it (I worked in an ice cream factory :btroll: one summer, so I'm cool with the freezer :iceburn:), so I could always say "I'm doing the freezer," and I could get out of anything, and make people feel sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah I mean n theory you can poach fries in water, so you could perhaps do that with the bare minimum of fat, and keep it at a lower temp to preserve it. Perhaps you could also blend stuck fat and something else.. Would all sick fat be too... Ducky?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

BAck in the day, we did secret santa at the restaurant. Every kitchen person got a bottle of alcohol. Said alcohol did not leave the party.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

The Tenderloin? Sounds like a gay bar!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

New thread?

Just kidding! I'm sorry to hear it, but hopefully you'll end up in a better place in the long run. If it makes you feel any better, I've now gone full-blown insane and trying to win back my ex that I dumped a year ago... yeah Im a loving idiot.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Ugh.. whenever someone takes a demotion, ESPECIALLY at the same place, it never ends up well. There's always these thoughts of "I'm gonna get my old job back! Let's see I can either.. be even more awesome than I was before, work hard, eat my metamucil, or.... throw my boss under the bus!!"

My GM friend now has an AGM who used to own a restaurant, so he's dead set on keeping all his little quirks and pain in the rear end poo poo. He can't get simple lists of stuff done, he's maybe late 40s early 50s but still hilariously spends like 20-30m trying to find files on a computer (my dad texts and forwards emails from his iPhone, and he's loving 70), and just can't get poo poo done. BUT he's there, he is a breathing soul, and can at least hold down the fort while GM is gone.

It's that lovely case that Danny Meyer rightly maligns in his book: too lovely to promote, but too good to fire.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 6, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

To be fair, ice is pretty loving cheap.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, why don't the cooks offer to take a pay cut this year to pay for it? Profit or not, it's always like squeezing blood from a stone sometimes.

At my last restaurant, well, we were a Belgian beer place. Diverse crowd, lots of college folk. Everyone orders fries. Fries and mayo. Steak frites was huge.. more fries. I would wager we sold at least 1,000 pounds a week. So, what was the backbone of this fry empire for more than 5 years? Two dinky loving tabletop fryers. Professional, but tabletop. Both could be filled with one standard fry-oil jug-in-box. One of them was particularly finnicky -- really had minimal heat control, pilot always went out (during service), a couple strange fires, bitches to clean, etc. And like no loving capacity. The grill could would have to spend most of his day blanching fries for service, it was a constant task in addition to everything else.

Well finally, FINALLY, by the grace of God or Dr. Fryvorkian, one of those fuckers finally bubbled its last bubble. Then after about two weeks of EVEN WORSE fry life (only one fryer and getting a pot of oil for blanching), they finally arrvied: the wonder twins. Two 3.5' tall fryers, not these dinky 18" things we had before. They had proper oil reservoirs, big loving baskets, and a lot of power.

Fries instantly went from the biggest pain in the rear end, scream induced, brick-making GBS threads, bottlenecking task in the whole kitchen, to really no big loving deal at all. Capacity quadrupled. We were some comfortable with our fry throughput now, we would even have other fried foods and such on the menu, which we never had before! Oysters, clams; the potato crusted cod that always was a pain to pan fry on the saute station became a cinch for the grill guy -- and the fish came out more beautiful and delicious than ever.

So why didn't we do that poo poo in the first place? Even though we were profitable? And fries were such a lynchpin and equally such a bottleneck?

Perhaps it was :effort:, or maybe :shrug:. But really I think it was pride from the one owner who was also the brewmaster and resident handyman. He was a great guy, just really intense while working. I respect him totally, and understand the reasons for his ire, because he never had much time to give, so if he had to waste it on "stupid poo poo" like something we broke or THAT MOTHERFUCKING FRYER AGAIN???, he let everyone know. I mean, he must've changed that thermostat 20 times. But he'd still rather fix it than by new ones.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Alright, let's talk kitchen tattoos! They don't necessarily have to be "porkfat" on the inside of your lip, but let's see some tattoos that we psychos put on our bodies (I'm actually going to a shop today to consult about my first :3: ).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Dane posted:

My old boss had an awesome burn scar - probably 3 1/2 inches long - on the fleshy side of his lower left arm that sorta in a cloud-scape kinda way looked a bit like a duck and some blob with legs. He had the outline of a duck chasing a pig tattooed around it. I think I have a pic of it somewhere, I'll look.

Haha that's interesting -- I just had a first brainstorming with an artist just now, so hopefully I can contribute in a few weeks. That being said I do have some gnarly scar tissue on my other shoulder, so that could be a fun muse later on.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I mean.. he can try and claim like some whistleblower protection for reporting to OSHA or something, but sadly despite the bullshit I'm not sure what he can do besides sue for those hours that got changed.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Best profile pic/post combo.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

WELP.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I'm pretty close to actually having my first job out of the industry in loving forever, fingers crossed.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

So yeah, Charlie Trotter died.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

In group therapy, (what? don't pretend you're surprised) I've learned to just not mention work stuff and to shut my mouth when anyone else does. When I talk about what I do (did) people either compare themselves and feel bad, or it turns into an intervention, which is pointless.

It's an alright life if you've got your eye on a future in the industry or if you're only doing it for awhile and then it's off to bigger and better things. But being a line cook your entire working life is not a fate I would wish on my worst enemy.

Which is why I'm getting out. I can't work 70 hour weeks, stay sane and have a family life. That seems to be kind of a "pick any two" situation. But I won't say I didn't love it while it lasted.

Around here, group therapy is a pitcher of beer and kamikazes for $6.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Also, interviewed with one of the big wine/liquor distributors in Manhattan, and they loved my poo poo, so I might end up doing data analysis for 3400+ wine portfolios in NYC. Depends on where the other offers end up.. and that they actually become offers. Limbo sucks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Final (sheesh I hope) interview with an SVP for this data gig in Boulder, then tomorrow I go to Queens to interview for the wine data job. Then I'm spending Thanksgiving with my friend who works at Nomad and his fam (already planning an epic meal), then back for the final week of college EVER. Adulthood is approaching rapidly.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Terrifying! Let us know when you move to Queens, we'll get you drinking some good wine (lots. lots of good wine).

Yeah.. well it's really going to come down to the nuts and bolts of it all (Boulder is def. going to give me an offer), but I'm secretly hoping that they blow me away tomorrow and make the choice easy. Friend of a friend in Boulder actually works for one of their distributors out there, and says that he basically gets infinite wine. How much of a salary do I need to live in Astoria?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Not sw&s, the other one. Their offices are right near LaGuardia.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Today was my last day of class ever as an undergraduate.

Also, got the unofficial offer from wine-people.. it'll be enough to live on in NYC. So yeah.. pretty likely that I'll be moving to NYC. There are really no words.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Welp.. the two gigs (hotel analysis in CO and wine analysis in NYC) are pretty comparable as far as wages, now I have to spend some time up on the mountain thinking about benefits and other factors.. but I should have a decision by Monday.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

It's "facebook official," I accepted the gig doing wine analysis in Queens! Now for the "joy" of finding a place to live.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Ugh. Living with someone in NY would save me like $500-600 a month. The downside, of course, is:

"* No allowed to cook- yuo need to help keeping de pleace clean
* You can use the toaster, microwave and wash dishes
* Please no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no pets
* Pay rent on time is very important
* One mount rent + one mouth deposit to move in "

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah well my great friend just got a roomie, otherwise that would literally be 1000% perfect. Ah well.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Ugh. Beyond all of the big issues now my new direct boss guy wants me clean shaven and with boring hair. Maybe I'll find a job with a wine or spirits distributor. Half their reps look like extras from punk rock music videos.

Hey now, I clean up quite nicely, thanks. Apartment hunting is "fun" so far, but I think I'll have some options.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

$279 can get you a very nice Misono. I get that it looks very nice and probably will make you feel happy and good, but $279 for a case?

e: Also I'm 95% sure that I have a place to live in Queens, but also going to have to couch surf for a few weeks. Meh.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, the Misono UX-10 is a great knife, a great step up from the Wusthof world into the Next Level.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, I haven't worked a NYE since 2010, but it's still weird for me to not be getting my rear end kicked and having my stomach turn today. Good luck to y'all.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I've had a real job for two days. Nine to five. This is so weird.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah.. yesterday I went snowboarding and made more progress on my 1000 paper cranes. The real world is really... strange.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Got a nice bottle of bourbon from work today. I do kinda like this sometimes.

It's helping me do two of the worst activities known to man: looking for apartments and being on okCupid.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah.. here's an interesting twist. Having worked weekends and holidays for so long, now that I have a 9-5 I really don't know how to just go out somewhere solo and make friends. :/

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

More fun facts about the real world: now that I don't work crazy hours and exhaust my mind and body every night, I have much more time and energy to think about how lovely and sad I am.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Finally, finally after months of agony (last night airbnb bailed on me and I had to crash with a friend last minute, and the 6 train was loving stuck for 45 minutes), I have a place to live. I'm on the floor of my room with a bottle of champagne and some See's Molasses Chips, hooked onto the free network called "Big Moe." For once in a long time, I'm content.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Finally oh loving finally my keyfob works and I can come and go from my apartment as I please. 9-5 is still REALLY weird to me. The rinky-dink market next to my apartment has humboldt fog and d'artagnan chorizo. Yay Queens.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Last night was an Italian wine tasting with like 60 producers, then the after party at Spice Market, then the after after party with the boss buying falafel from Mamoun's. And now for whatever reason, we're off for Lincoln's birthday.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah.... today we cut out of work early for a ten wine tasting, then a catered bowling alley thing with more of said wine. This is a weird loving world.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I rocked Crocs when I was a fat gently caress, there's no excuse not to wear that hot neon orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Lynxxie posted:

Hey ya'll so I recently moved up from cook to assistant kitchen manager at the restaurant where I work and I'm trying to help my chef out with scheduling.
Does anyone have any suggestions for, preferably free, scheduling software? Something that would allow me to input the days people need off or want to work etc. and then generate possible schedules.

We've had a lot of crazy poo poo go down lately including our bookkeeper getting arrested for embezzling $180,000 from the restaurant over the last 4 years.
We could have had a bigger walk in... and a better meat slicer... and a new line fridge... so long ago... maybe I could have even gotten a raise!? :suicide:

Just suck it up and pay the ~$30 for schedulefly. They use it at Nomad and my friend there loves it; very easy for people to switch shifts on their mobile phones, that kind of poo poo. $30 a month, you can swing that for the convenience. Theres a free trial.

• Locked thread