Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is a few days late, and it's amateur stuff, but my worst burn was a quarter-sized blob of dark roux that jumped out of a cast iron skillet onto the top of my flip-flop foot.

I swiped at it immediately but it turned into a wicked blister. Wearing oxfords was out of the question so I went in to to the office with a one shoe/one flip flop combo for the next week while the burn festered.

Thankfully I live in New Orleans so whenever people asked what was up I just said "makin gumbo and spilled some roux" and the response was usually an understanding nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not in the industry but I am surprised not to see New Orleans on any of those lists. Does it still suffer from the Alan Richman attitude? I mean there are not a ton of avant-garde places but in the last decade a bunch of real top notch restaurants have opened up and gained pretty wide acclaim.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Does your restaurant start with a C, L, or an M?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted to let folks know about a set of restaurant industry openings. Who wants to serve the most idlest and richest of the idle rich?

Perfect opportunity to get the cream of the cream together in one place, and sink it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You're not getting a cabin like that with amenities and planned world cruises for the cost of a $700,000 boat.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Tonight I do dish at Chef 2's place, and I'm confident as hell (your kind words of encouragement help, industry goons!) with one exception: dish is responsible for oyster shucking, and I've... maybe shucked 6 oysters in my life, several years ago? I'd buy some to practice on, but we're literally living off my under-the-table takings from this weekend until the first checks roll in. Any tips? Youtube recommendations on the subject?

TheParadigm posted:

Get two knives and/or stock up the house knives for oysters. One WILL snap on you in the middle of when you need it. Not easily, but at some point.

The right knife makes all the difference for your technique. There's generally two different styles of oyster knife: The huge shank tip, and the bendy-point-at-the-end one. Thin tip and the bend works best for me ; the less you have to wrestle with getting it stuck in the faster you can shuck the whole batch.

Cut glove is good advice. Those knives may be dull, but slips will still wreck you. Its easy to get infected cuts from oyster knives because of all that nasty sea bacteria.

Technique, Loosely: Find the point opposite the spot holding the shell together, where its weakest/most open. Shove the knife in, pry up/to the side until it pops open. Run the blade along the top to sever the 'foot' connecting to the inside of the shell, and then do it along the bottom. Turn it over, if you like. You're done! repeat.

You can use a thick rubber-coated glove. You can find them at hardware stores. Get the fully-coated kind.

The kind I am used to:

Thin, long:

Or this, wide blade:

I have used both but probably prefer the narrow one on average. However, I have always approached the oyster from the hinge. That may what Paradigm is saying, I'm not sure. But you can usually get excellent leverage by sticking your knife into the natural gap of the hinge itself, then rocking the knife up and down and twisting until you get it open. Then it's easy to slide the knife around and cut the oyster free.

It's also safer to put it on a surface, and hold it down, rather than hold it in your hand. If you are going to town on a tough one and slip with the oyster in your palm, the knife will go straight through your glove and 1/2" into your hand, unless it's chain mail.

What kind of oysters are you talking about? I'm used to gulf oysters, which are big and heavy with very solid shells. More delicate oysters are probably a little different as far as how much elbow grease you have to use.

Also, are you shucking for serving on the half shell? Or just to get out? Also affects how rough you can be with them. Here's the industrial operation with a hammer, where the only purpose is getting the meat out of the shell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijSbQ4k0ZKs

They show it a few times in that video--there is a little point on that metal plate, and they crack it with the hammer, then use a knife to cut it open. But they don't give a poo poo about the shell.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Hinge is the word I on the tip of my tongue when i posted.

As far as demovids: this one will do you right. Additionally, it shows off how not to stab yourself, technique, and the curve-point oyster knife. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI87Sprn6h4

Some people come at it from the other side of the oyster, so I didn't know what you meant! I know some coonasses that hit the end opposite the hinge with a hammer to bust a hole in the shell, then stick their knives in that and pry it open. Different shucks for different fucks, I guess!

But the obvious best advice is ask someone in the kitchen with you do show you how to do it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If I prefer to sit at this table by the window and not the one wedged between the waiter station, the kitchen door, and the shitter, and I'm totally okay with it being unbussed at first and don't say anything about it, are you still such a whiny passive aggressive baby?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

JawKnee posted:

were your legs simply too weak to keep you upright while you wait for the table to be cleaned?

Not at all! I'm happy to make your job easier and as tolerable as possible, and I'm a good tipper. I was a waiter for years too. Can you accommodate me without rolling your eyes or totally owning me by making me wait 5 extra minutes for everything?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Then, and here's the tough part, wait for the loving table to get cleaned before sitting at it

why? Putting aside that it's rude as poo poo, there's really 2 scenarios here:

a) the restaurant is busy and that's the only table available. Given that the restaurant is busy in this scenario it's likely that your server is busy too - so congrats, you've just interrupted whatever they were doing because you were more important. Way to go.

b) the restaurant is not busy - meaning there are other tables, likely even good ones for you to sit at - but you were too special to, again, wait for the table to be cleaned.

I'm not in the industry any more, opting for better pay and less stress elsewhere, but I want to make it clear that if a customer asked me to clear a table so they could sit at it, that was a-ok with me. The only kind of person who sits at a dirty table is too loving good to be polite, and is certainly not 'making my job easier'

Lol you sound angry. Nobody said anything about not waiting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

JawKnee posted:

are you not, in fact, sitting at a dirty table here, idiot?

No, I'm happy to do whatever the waitstaff ask me to do if they're cool seating me where I'd like. Sit, stand, wait at the bar where I was originally. But stay mad for no reason you whiny passive aggressive babby.

"I can't bus a table with people sitting at it! I'm so angry!"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I know this is hyperbole central and all restaurant customers are slobbering impolite idiots but try and imagine not everyone is like you.

Normal interaction between humans:

Hostess brings guest to table. Guest would prefer unbussed table.

Guest: "Do you mind if I sit at that table instead?"

Hostess/Waiter: "Sure, give me a few minutes to get it ready. Would you mind waiting at the bar?"

"No problem, thanks."

Fantasy interaction between obnoxious idiots:

Guest strolls past hostess and sits his fat rear end down at unbussed table although there are literally dozens of open tables. "Why is my table dirty?!"

Cool and rational waiter: "How am I supposed to pick up those napkins now? I will punish you all night by slightly inconveniencing you and complaining about you while I do my side work. Enjoy the view."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Alright, well if you think this never happens then you're just plain wrong but whatever dude.

I'm sure it happens, man! Those guys said it happened to them! Autistic people, assholes, and the just plain clueless have to eat too. And I'm probably much further removed from waiting than you (and most people here) are, so I'm certainly not as keyed in to how annoying that poo poo is. So my earlier comment was snarky--sorry.

Just so we're clear:

I do not seat myself when it's not open seating. That's obnoxious.

I don't walk into every restaurant and scan the tables for the best one or whatever. I know there are other things in play, like keeping sections balanced.

If there are lots of options, I don't ask to be seated at the one dirty table even if it's got the best view or is in the corner or has loving models giving blowjobs under it or whatever. It usually doesn't matter!

If I am offered a bad table (i.e. I've been seated there before and didn't enjoy it), and there is an unbussed table that I'd rather sit at, I ask if I can be seated there. If there is any hesitation, I say "don't worry about it." I do not complain about it, I do not ask to be reseated, and I do not passive aggressively cut the tip.

If the staff says "sure, have a seat, as long as you don't mind it being messy," I usually say okay and thank you. If they say "sure, as long as you don't mind waiting for it to get cleaned" I say not at all, and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

How much should I tip someone for bussing a specific table so I can sit at it?

Nothing, obviously. That's their job

*ducks*

• Locked thread