Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

I am joining the ranks of the enemy. My new job is FOH floor manager at a greek-style 24h diner. So I get air conditioning, wardrobe autonomy (thank god for highly motivated commissioned salescritters) and the responsibility for keeping our customers happy and keeping the waiters from fighting with the cooks. Whee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

wrought are you at a new company altogether, or a new position within the same company?

New company entirely. I could have stayed with the previous company and found a new contract, but the one I had my eye on was in Bethesda, and that would be a brutal commute. Plus this place seems like a great place to cut my teeth as a manager, and they didn't gently caress around with "oh we'll start you as a server..."

They are pretty old school, though. Take a look at the menu:

That's a Thermapen for reference and no, I do not work at the Cheesecake Factory.

having fun so far. Tomorrow I learn how to deal with the big, scary BOH. LOL

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Cercies posted:

So how do you plan to present yourself to the kitchen? Are they the type of crew who will give you backlash for jumping over to FOH?

The restaurant I'm training at is not the restaurant I will be working at, but if the crew is similar, they'll be more mercenary than frat boy, which suits me fine. As far as presenting myself, I'll introduce myself and then demonstrate the rest, since I have no authority over the kitchen- I just communicate with them. Hopefully the BOH will catch on that I'm an asset, but if I have refuse to send obviously sub-par plates out, they can figure out that I know my rear end from my elbow that way too.

I doubt anyone will give a poo poo that I can work both sides of the swinging doors. If they do, that's their problem, because I was born this way, baby. ;-)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Having been both a dishy and a cook it always pays to look after the kitchen hand but not everyone is like that tbh and it can work the same the opposite way round. The kitchenhand I work with atm does nothing but dishes and never tells you when he is behind you so you go to turn around and he's under your feet once again. It bugs the poo poo out of me but theres nothing I can say or do because he's a co-owner of the restaurant. I just try and work around it and ignore how much it annoys me because I love the kitchen I'm in and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else at this point in time really

Why on earth would you co-own a restaurant and work as a dishwasher? Especially if the guy's health is bad. Can't he expo? or wander around the FOH schmoozing?

Unless you work in New Orleans and this guy's name begins with W, that's a really bizarre situation.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So, I got promoted on my fourth day of work. Uberbossman (who is now just bossman to me) decided he liked me for the gig better than the person who was training for it. I have a feeling he wasn't 100% sure about who he was going to put where from the beginning, but I'm glad I didn't know that it was a Gladiator-style "audition" until I won.

So, I am now the GM of a restaurant. Since it's part of a "group" a lot of the paperwork is handled by the paperwork people, so my job is primarily ordering, server wrangling and customer service- specifically getting our online reputation out of the toilet.

My favorite server snipe hunt is to ask the new girl to empty the water out of the coffee machine so the coils don't rust (when the machine is attached to a water line.) I would tell them "get a big bucket, that thing holds way more water than you might think!"

I had a cook friend who liked to shout "HOT! HOT! I WILL BURN YOUR FACE! I WILL BURN YOU AND LAUGH! I WILL BURN YOUR MOM! COMING THROUGH! I WILL BURN YOUR MOM'S FACE!" I generally stick with "behind" or "right here" unless I'm doing something that the Canadians have made PSAs about.

Congrats on the food truck, Plan Z!

Delicious Sci Fi Well, know you're going to find out a lot about your new boss by how she reacts to that crap.

Kenning, do you ever get into polite-offs when you're out and about? Like, you and the cashier keeps saying the same things to each other at the same time, and leaving is difficult because you're both trying to get the last "thanks so much, have a great afternoon!"?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Haha, the only constant is change.

Nah, this is a promotion, not a new job. And it's probationary for 90 days. They haven't had a GM last that long all year. I think there have been 5 or 6 this year before me. I'm in restaurant management Thunderdome. I'm pretty sure the servers are taking bets on how long I'll last.

But they don't know what I've seen, man... The things I've done.

Right now I think most of the staff (and definitely the entire kitchen) underestimates me by a lot, which is where I like to start.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

I'm still acutely paranoid of all heat and hot things in cooking thanks to a 2nd degree burn trying to make pancakes as a kid. Spitting oil makes me reflexively leap for cover. When I worked with the head chef learning some things at the bistro, he immediately noticed my skittishness around the pan sizzling and plainly told me "Whatever happened, stop letting it happen, and don't fear the pan. Get used to little burns."

Sure he's right, but easy for him to say. I'm stupidly acute to sensation and pain. I'm still working on not flinching all the same. :(

I'm also easily/overly startled by things. There are various ways to address that problem. From a cognitive perspective, you can recognize your reaction as one that doesn't help you do your job and consciously decide to shut down that flinch/jump/panic reaction as soon as you can. Think of your job as exposure therapy. Every time you flinch, that's a chance to recover faster and be less afraid. If you let that poo poo get into your head and let every tiny drop of oil that hits your skin reinforce your fear, you will be panicky and jobless. You are not a special super sensitive snowflake. You are a badass line cook who refuses to take poo poo from a god damned frying pan. Yes, it's easier said than done. I am saying it because I have done it. You've got this.

Garregus can you gmail me? shesajar. You don't have PMs. Muchas Gracias.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Burns, in order of preference:

Contact (sheet tray, pan, etc.)
Liquid
Oil
Steam
Sugar

Cuts:

Knife (almost never happens)
Another actual blade (robo coupe blade, etc.)
Random sharp edge on a thing that should not have sharp edges (happens all the time)
Mandoline (eveyone does it once)
Slicer
Cardboard
Aluminum foil*cringe*

Anyone ever work with someone who faints at the sight of blood? I got to catch a brand new 17 year old dishwasher when he keeled over after he knicked his finger chopping parsley on his second day. Would it be legal to put that on a job application, or would asking "do you faint at the sight of blood?" be discriminatory?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

ME GUSTA GASOLIIIIIIIIINA!!!!!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

If you have open availability, an IQ above room temperature, can count change, take direction, show up sober and showered, and correctly answer the following multiple question, I have a job for you:

When is the best time to ask your manager for a Saturday off?

A. Friday, via text message
B. Two months ahead of time, interrupting a conversation with a customer, verbally, with no subsequent follow-up
C. Two weeks ahead of time, written on the back of a receipt you handed to the night manager.
D. "Hey wrought- here's a glass of water and my completed out time-off request form, I sent a copy to your email, too."
E. "Well yeah, my mom did die in a fire. But that just means nobody is around to guilt trip me about not going to funerals, and it's not like she'll notice. Can I come in early? I hear there's a motorcycle rally AND a Pentacostal tent revival in town that weekend! Oh, want a sugar free redbull? I brought extra."

Today's goal: No yelling

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Today's goal: No yelling

RIP goal. 8am--11:30am. We will never forget you.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Why do you have to yell at them? Are they literally children?

Well, I meant "no yelling" as in also no staff yelling, no customers yelling, and the chef not yelling any more than usual. I lost two, maybe three employees today and demoted one. I think the honeymoon is finally over.

I've read Setting the Table several times, great book.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tom Rakewell posted:

Note: I realize that maybe 3 people in this thread might actually care about Houston vs. Austin, but, hey, I think it's a point worth making. Maybe later I'll try to do a set of tier rankings based solely on street food and international fare.

I've never gotten to really explore Houston because I'm never there for long, and when I am, I'm not in a frame of mind to go adventuring. I'm usually there in the middle of a long trip, picking up/dropping off my car at the airport. And I'm faced with the following decision: Do I eat at Beavers, or do I eat someplace that is not Beavers? Sorry, rest of Houston.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Well, it's been a week and I've fired someone, hired someone, had someone quit in the middle of a shift for good reason and had someone walk out in the middle of a shift for no good reason. Almost the whole staff hates me and multiple plots are being hatched to smear and libel my good name to the owners of the company, our longtime regulars, and anyone else who will listen.

But things are cleaner, a few disgusting/unsafe practices have been halted, and the schedule makes sense. The chef likes me and my boss has my back and knows better than to believe the gossip. All in all, a good first week.

2nd week focus: How to get through the growing pains without cranky servers negatively impacting customer service.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm starting to regret not having kids.

Because I have no idea how to deal with a human being refusing to come when I call him, not do his chores despite many gentle and firm reminders, and constantly go to Daddy to give him things I have taken away because of his bad behavior. Can I send my servers to one of those island reform schools where they torture and "reprogram" troubled kids whose parents don't want to deal with them?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was the bar manager at Beavers when they opened. Eat there.

Much respect. The Myer lemon radish salad won me over. Never had a bad dish there. Its obvious the chef/cooks love what they do.

Work is still an insane pressure cooker. I like it. Wish I could get more/better floor staff but I'm surviving.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

80% of the morning is dead. Yay! I can get some work done!

Oh! It's 8am so here's the bakery delivery and half a dozen tables walking in at once. I can put away cakes, just gotta grab some gloves... drat they bought powdered. I'll remember not to touch my clothes...

Oh hey they brought too many eclairs! Again! Get another tray... Phone for me? Fine. Don't touch clothes....

"Is this the manager?"
"This is she."
"Hi, I'm calling from blah-de-blah banking and I need to speak to the manager."
"Yes. My name is Wrought. I am the general manager of this restaurant, but I don't have time to take a sales call."
"This is not a sales call!"
"Okay, what can I do for you?"
"We are calling to offer you an oppor-"

*click*

*angrily brushes hands on black pants*

Now where was I...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I know in Louisiana it is not difficult to get your home kitchen certified for a small catering operation. From there, you might have to look at permits for vending depending on where you want to sell. Alternatively you could talk to Mexican restaurants about you going in a few times a week and making tamales for them in their kitchen. Get on the schedule at a few places and it could be a good part time gig! They could just pay you as an employee and you wouldn't have to worry about permits.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

cods posted:

So best loving news of my life happed today. Had a sitdown to talk about the Jr. Sous job, expecting to get some lowball salary offer that would barely pay my bills and I was probably going to take it because I really didn't want to work in that hotel, but it ended up being for about 10k more a year, and in a few months(new restaurant) it's going to grow into a sous job when lunch service starts.

Soooo relieved.... Today was my last day at my job before we close for a month, and because I pretty much just moved here so I can't afford to live off unemployment, or not work. And working only forty hours a week for the last two months has left me broke as gently caress and can barely get rent/bills paid. When I started I was working sixty so I could actually feed myself, and other such luxuries.

I've been vomiting in the back of my throat 24/7 for the last few weeks worrying about being homeless and stressing out about not working. It's not official until I sign my offer letter Monday, but for the first time in over a month I can breathe. Thank you goons for listening to my bullsjit, because I know my grirlfiend is tired if it.

Congrats! You're going to kick rear end.

I feel you on the significant other being sick of hearing about work stuff. Mr. W is very much not pleased about how much more time I spend talking/venting about my job since I got promoted. He has no problem "leaving it at the office" so why should I? When I took this job I had no idea how lonely it would be. I don't have any co-workers at the same level of management as I am. I have people who work under me, and people who work over me, and it's not really appropriate for me to commiserate with either. Don't get me wrong, the new job is great, but the lack of camaraderie has been an unexpected downside.

gyrobot posted:

How do you feel about the Berserker work ethic in the kitchen, the guy or girl who works best when angry or stressed out who can easily and effortlessly wash dishes or plate well but on the other hand is as sociable as an angry shark who just smelled blood.

Either learn not to let their behavior effect your mood, or yell back at them. They probably won't mind because you'll be speaking their native language.

One of my problem child waiters declared that he likes me better when I'm sick (nasty head cold) after I snapped "It's loving tilapia- it's a poo poo fish and we probably get it from a cesspit in loving China. Tell them it's from a free-range organic fish farm run by recovering heroin addicts in a commune in Idaho. What the gently caress." after he told me a guest would like to know where we source our fish.

Apparently the chef told him our tilapia was wild-caught in the north Atlantic, and to gently caress off.

(yes, I did go out and personally explain to the guest where our fish comes from, don't get your panties in a twist.)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dryer Lint posted:

I've decided to go into the industry. After volunteering at the food bank's kitchen for a couple months the head chef decided that he couldn't tolerate me anymore and is helping me get a job as a dishwasher in a good restaurant. I have accepted that the next few months/decades of my life are going to be like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6arvgbYUw
But, I want to cook and this is where I'm going to start. Any advice?

"this" is not where you are going to start. If you are lucky, in five years you will work for a chef who cares enough about the plates that go out of her kitchen that she'll yell at you like that. Most likely, you'll end up trying to "up the standards" at a failing gastropub who buys half their poo poo from Sysco and takes shortcuts on the other half. Get out while you can still finish your degree.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Morbid Fiesta posted:

So, my 60 day review for my new job is on Monday and unless I show up drunk and stab somebody I'm guaranteed a raise. I've taken over as the Garde Manger and after service last night the chef mentioned the strong possibly of offering me a salaried position during my review.

The rub being that I'd have to quit my other, formerly full time kitchen job. I stayed on part time to open a day or two a week since I like most of the staff and getting half off at the bar never hurts. But I'm more than okay with putting in my notice.

I'm just not sure what a good baseline would be for working on salary, since I'd be putting in on average 65 hours a week. I live in PA, and was wondering if I'd be making a mistake going on salary depending on their offer and what are the substantial differences between working on salary versus hourly?

My new position is salaried. I was hired for an assistant manager job for XX,000/year, but on my fourth day was chosen to be a general manager at another restaurant in the same group. No increase in salary until 90 day review. I was told the position was 50-55 hours/week with two consistent, contiguous days off.

I work 6 days a week, ~70 hours. When I finally broke down and did the math, I'm making less per hour than our hostess.

I wasn't entirely surprised by this. The lowest salaried person on the totem pole always gets boned. ALWAYS. I have never met anyone in the restaurant business who did not take a (hourly) pay cut when they moved to management. Don't go on salary unless you are actually working as a manager.

In other "Friends Don't Let Friends" news, never buy patent leather work shoes. Mine cracked across the top yesterday:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I think we're forgetting something important here. Has anyone sleuthed out bunnyofdoom's real name and home/work address yet? Because I'm pretty sure he said "drinks are on me." a few posts back.

poo poo Got Real at work today, but I feel like we might have turned a corner. After an incident today, my boss finally realized I wasn't exaggerating about how childish and disrespectful the staff was, and has given me carte blanche to "three strikes" anyone for insubordination, no matter how long they've been there. The assistant manager that was a problem is also being moved to another location. That's a mixed blessing because he was really good at the logistical side of things, but he had horrible people skills, the customers hated him, and he resented me because he thought he should have gotten my job, so he would trash talk me to the staff behind my back. In another universe we would have made a great team, but he couldn't accept a subordinate role. Honestly, I don't really blame him, but customer service skill is kind of a dealbreaker in this line of work...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dear LJ,

I fired two people today. Well, I only actually fired one, the other guy just went ballistic over a 1st write-up for lateness and walked out.

We had a great night anyway, and this was the first Sunday that I ran the entire day without the operations manager (my boss) spending any time at our location.

I need staff.

Anyone have any unemployed friends in northern VA?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

Oh, Wroght. The way you describe your place of work, some days I'm tempted to take you up your offers of employ. :allears:

Nah, I'm unemployed by choice for the time being. Do let me know if your need for staff ever gets apocalypse bad, though.

If you're capable of working a flexible schedule, showing up for work on time, sober, conscious and in uniform, I will throw in a case of Redbull per week on top of our standard salary package. PM me for your start date.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

If the job requires a case of Redbull/week to do it, it sounds like it's packed full of the kind of stress I left restaurants to avoid.

Okay fine. You drive a hard bargain but I like that. Two 5ths of the liquor of your choice (<$30/bottle) but you work 5 doubles a week.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I'm in but I want 5 of them and I get to nurse one a day while I work. When I drink, I sing, so you will need an alto and two tenors to cover my mistakes. If you want more than 5 days I want a fancy bottle and a tin of sardines on Saturdays. Does the health package have a liver & kidney rider? I like Sambuca, hopefully you can find multiple colors.

I'm a soprano, and I just had to fire my baritone for compulsive lateness. Otherwise, we would have a deal, considering the restaurant I work at is owned and operated by two Greek families. I don't really want to ask them about the kidney and liver situation, but I imagine if you were a reliable enough employee, arrangements could be made depending on the blood types of the employees I have to fire next week.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

For a little perspective from the other side, I had to fire a guy the other day because he was an anger bomb that finally went off in a very inappropriate way. He was a server who let the little things get to him. There was other stuff going on, but he was a basically good guy who got inordinately angry when other people didn't do things the way he thought they should be done.

His attitude sucked. It was contagious and poisonous to the rest of the staff. He was incapable of being upset and not showing it/telling everyone about it/sulking. There were lots of talks with him, the floor managers spent lots of time managing his moods that they could have spent doing more useful things. A formal write up would have him flying straight for about three days and then he was back to his old ways. He was taking up way too much of everyone's time and energy because he couldn't just let things go.

Then last week he went off on a host who asked him to help a guest. In front of that guest. Using colorful language. I had no choice but to fire him.

He couldn't see beyond his own narrow view of his job, so he didn't get that what seemed like an injustice or a problem with an easy fix was actually the best solution to a situation that was more complicated than he comprehended. And since I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain every tiny reason why I told the host to seat party X at table Y instead of table Z in his section, or why I went into the kitchen and told the cooks to drop what they were doing and make me one eggs benedict now when he was waiting for his food, too- he just couldn't cope and exploded.

I have no idea how much of this pertains to your particular situation, gyrobot, but maybe you might be happier if you just accepted some of the maddening, confusing and seemingly opposite-of-sensible things that happen at your job as just new aspects of your reality, and moved on with the attitude of "okay, that just happened, now I do this."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Wrought, you sound like a threshing machine, and I applaud your iron guts to be able to not take poo poo and just weed people out. You sound like you'd be fun and terrifying to work under.

Honestly, I'm a wreck. I'm a severely underqualified GM and my job is mostly customer service damage control. Luckily, I am very good at that. This is my first serious management gig and I've been given little guidance and a lot of responsibility, but nobody (upper management and my servers and cooks) expects me to do much except burn out in two months or less like their last dozen GMs. Last year, one GM made to his 90 day review. Shortly before he was fired for drinking on the job.

I'll keep my standards when it comes to guest service, but beyond that, I'm treating this gig as "graduate school." The only servers that get along with me are the hardcore mercenaries who will do anything for a tip/do anything to please a guest. The rest think I'm a raging thundercunt, despite my attempts to give them the schedules they want, etc.

All in all, it's just a restaurant. Nobody lives or dies by me.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

pr0k posted:

You guys are seriously underdrugged and underdrunk. My generation would have kicked your asses. The kitchen could never afford coke, but the KM would give the broiler a line if he got behind and the first waitstation to phase had to buy beer for the kitchen at 7-11 so we could drink on the loading dock.

gently caress you, your generation, and (of course) your mom, pr0k. Do you have any idea how drunk I was when I wrote that? Now if you'll excuse me, my hangover and I are going to go find reasons to yell at people.

:-D

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Let us take a moment to reflect upon marriage, and irony.

Before I took my current job, I was out of town on a leave of absence from work helping a friend get her catering business off the ground. When I got back, for various reasons, Mr W. and I decided to take the US Military up on their generous offer of free marriage counseling. We found someone very well qualified who could see us on my set day off, Wednesday. He saw her a couple of times before I got back. Two days before our first session together with her, I was offered my current job.

My current job came with Mondays and some Tuesdays as my set days off. I saw the counselor once and then we had to find a new one who could see us on Mondays because the one we had didn't see patients that day. It took awhile, but we finally found someone who could see us during the tiny slice of time on Monday when we can both be in the same place at the same time during business hours.

My main assistant manager has a custody hearing tomorrow morning, so I'm covering for her. My other two assistant managers both have day jobs, and the regional manager told me that he can't cover even part of my shift because he needs to spend time with his family because his 20 year marriage is on the brink of collapse because he works too much.

Mr. W will be going to our first marriage counseling appointment alone.

At least I know what the topic of discussion will be next week...

In other news, I kicked rear end today. I ran with a short staff and managed to fill in the blanks so that every customer left happy. One lady who was out with her (very picky) friends made me write down the owner's email address so that she could send him a compliment about me, and made me stand there while she emailed him from her phone. One of my regulars summed it up for me when I was explaining why someone with my background was working at this particular restaurant. (We have a reputation as "well, the service sucks and sometimes the food is bad, but they're open 24 hours!") For me, this is graduate school. I won't be here forever, it's a very difficult position and there's lots of bullshit to deal with that has little to do with how things are done in the "real world" of finer dining, but going through the process will make me a better manager and the "GM" position on my resume will open doors that were previously closed to me.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Anyone ever helped out an employee with getting a work visa? I've had two GREAT applicants this past week get to the interview stage only to have the awkward "oh, bring proof of eligibility to work in the US? uh..." conversation. Neither are in the US illegally- one is here on a student visa which doesn't allow her to work and the other is the son of a diplomat and is also attending college here. Both said that me writing a letter indicating I intended to employ them might help them get a work visa.

1. How do I do this? Just write "Dear State Department, I, Wrought, General Manager of Disaster Diner do hereby offer the position of underpaid food schlepper to one Jane Smith, so please give her a visa, kthxbye"?

2. Am I being scammed somehow?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Uh, yes, I think you're being scammed. Having lived here on various visas (J-1, H1-B) before I got my green card, there is no way USCIS is going to accept a letter from you and go "oh, hey, yes, sure we'll authorize that."

They're probably on F-1 visas - here's the FAQ about what they're allowed to do: https://www.ice.gov/sevis/employment/faq_f_off1.htm

I can recommend a good immigration attorney in Bethesda if you're interested in getting a real answer or trying to pursue getting their status changed but it's not going to be cheap (to get them work authorization would probably be $1-3k?).

hahahaha gently caress no.

The one dude whose mom was here as a diplomat said a letter of "de facto employment" might help grease the wheels, so to speak. The other girl was on an F-1. I'm quite happy to help anyone who wants to live and work here, but I can't afford to hire a lawyer to hire a waiter.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Just wondering how many of you guys work in open kitchens? That's all I've been seeing recently around here. And is it intimidating?

It was no problem with a previous gig. Although after I left I kept the instinct to grab a sample of something on a tasting spoon, squat down to the ground, taste the thing and then ditch the spoon as I bounced back up.

People look at you strangely when you do that in a production kitchen.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

You assholes have time to drink? gently caress all a y'all.

I'll tell you where the GM drinks.

Alone.

I still lovehate my job, and I want a time machine so that I can go back and smack myself in the face five years ago when I was a whiny, entitled server.

Also, I think one of my regulars is seriously giving thought to investing in one of my pie in the sky restaurant concepts- a health food joint where everyone is paid a living wage and it's heavily marketed as "fair trade." They asked me why I didn't hire tons of foreign exchange students like the restaurant used to, and I had to explain the whole F1 visa thing, which lead to the demographic challenges of our particular area, which lead to "why don't you just offer a higher wage to attract good servers?" which lead to them discovering that virtually every waiter in the country is paid $2.13/hr.

Nothing will come of it, but they did leave their server a larger-than-usual tip. :-)

We got slammed today because we are one of the few restaurants in the area that doesn't close for Labor Day (I know, right?) but we managed to pull it off with a minimum of comping and even the crankiest table who had the worst time promised to come back and give us another chance, so I'm putting it in the "win" column.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Danksos. But never the patent leather- they crack.

Another one bites the dust. I'm getting a divorce. I didn't realize that was one of the requirements for managing a restaurant, but really, we all saw this coming. No way a hardened industry bitch like me can get away without a failed marriage to make me harder, more bitter and more ruthless with my staff.

I'll be fine. Condolences/congratulations can be sent via 5 star yelp reviews. After all, my 90 day review is coming up in a few weeks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

<3

Divorce or no, I will EARN that star back because I am good at my job. Stop by if you're in Northern Virginia, but I was not serious about wanting non-legit yelp reviews.

Thanks for the support. I'll be fine. I'm to mean to lay down and die.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Thanks for the support, guys. The kindness of strangers means a lot to me right now. I'm all set in terms of basic needs- I don't want anyone to worry about that.

Without going into detail, this divorce is not a surprise. We were married for five years and the problems started when we had only been married a few months. my ex had all the chances in the world to conquer his demons- support from family, friends and work. But he kept making decisions that hurt and endangered me, and last time I gave him an ultimatum that this last chance was really the LAST chance. He knew his most recent bad choice would end his marriage if/when I found out, he knew he had dozens of people who would love to help him stay on the right path, and he chose the wrong thing anyway. Leaving wasn't a hard decision because it was a decision I had already made.

But since this is (nominally) not the "wrought drama" thread, let's talk about work!

I got a whole day off the morning after I found out my marriage was over! Plus a lecture on how I was a "weak person" and shouldn't let some loser ex stop me from being the best restaurant manger I can be. How generous. The king of backhanded compliments, my boss demanded, "why do you waste your time crying for that loser? You are a perfectly fine woman and you can find someone else. You want to let this ruin your career?" This morning, I had to go in early because my assistant manager called in sick. Or rather, didn't show up at all, leaving the overnight manager to work a 16 hour shift as he had to wait for me to come in, since I turned off my phone to sleep. Also, they're bring back a former GM as an assistant manager. Fine, except he will almost definitely have a problem working under me, and female members of my staff have cited sexual harassment as a reason he left in the first place, and a reason they don't want him back. I figure I'll have a conversation along the lines of "hey there have been changes since you left, so if you see something being done differently than you'd like please come to me before you talk to the staff- there are plenty of things you can help me with, but some of the changes are things I have changed for a reason, so it's important that we give the staff a consistent message about who is in charge."

At least I'm never bored.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

To be fair, Wrought, you also knew when you chose your career path that we all in some way or another end up broken people.

To jump on the support band wagon, first the first time in a long while, somebody asked me out! PM me me the name of your place and I'll try to steer the date venue your way.

For the sake of your possible new relationship, I won't. My place is... kind of strange and inconsistent. I've only been there two months and I have to fight an operations manager who keeps "fixing" all the improvements he hired me to make, a short staff and my poor chef is dealing with insane turnover, so even if you come when I'm there, do the secret handshake (what is the secret handshake?) and I get you a waiter who has been working for me for over a week, I can't guarantee a fantastic experience. Plus my place is a little downscale for a first date. We're more of a "where can we all get fed that has something for everyone on the menu" joint than a romantic dinner spot.

I won't/can't do an e/n thread because there are legal and military matters involved. Like I said, I'm well taken care of and I have the resources I need. I mention it here not because I like drama or need help, just because it's a thing that happened and you guys are part of my "community" I guess. Not mentioning getting divorced would seem like keeping a secret, if that makes any sense.

Dry cleaning is expensive. It used to be that I wore an easily washable uniform for work and loved to dress up and wear makeup on my days off, but now I find myself looking forward to a whole day of wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and not giving a drat about my complexion.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've always wanted to get a semi-traditional "man's ruin" tattoo with the pinup in the cocktail glass, but she's holding a chef knife and she's well dressed. At the bottom of the glass above the banner are my favorite hold'em hole cards. :-) I've made money slinging cards, drinks and food, so I figure I'm entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm revamping how we ring in drinks in Aloha. Suggestions? Right now I'm thinking

code:
SPIRITS
    Vodka
        Absolut
        Ketel One
               For each option you click you are presented with a menu of mixers or other options, with appropriate upcharges.  
               So you could hit "on the rocks" and there would be no upcharge, "Martini" would be an upcharge plus a submenu
               for "dry, extra dry," etc.  "Margarita/Sour" would also be an option.  "Frozen" would add $10 to the price.  
               (j/k... sorta)
MIXED DRINKS
     The stuff on our drinks menu.
The upside here is that it encourages upselling, the downside is that it requires a level of knowledge about drinks that most of my servers don't have. On the third hand, learning the new system will teach them the basics of how drinks are made.

Thoughts?

• Locked thread