Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Reached over a boiling tea kettle on the stove to grab a pot handle. My forearm went right over the spout. What's worse than a steam burn? An infected steam burn.

Also, aluminium foil cuts. Like paper cuts only more horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

My husband right now is a cook in the military. He has ~2 years left on his enlistment. We're trying to decide if he should get out or stay in. I absolutely despise being a military spouse.
Any insight on what the industry could throw at us in the real world?

Stay in.

Whatever shithole you're stationed in is temporary- you'll PCS soon enough. Stop hanging around other military spouses, that will improve your quality of life right there.

If he gets out and goes into the industry with just Army experience on his resume he'll be an entry level cook. Between that and your teacher's salary you two are looking at a hugely reduced standard of living and no benefits.

AND his hours aren't going to get any better- if anything they'll get LESS predictable and you will have less opportunity to take time off to travel and see family, etc.

I can afford to cook for a living ONLY because my husband is in the Army and I don't have to worry about health insurance or job security.

Don't even think of wasting the GI bill on Le Cordon Bleu.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Staying at the same duty station isn't ALWAYS part of the deal to retrain for a new MOS- in our case we HAD to PCS because there were no slots for his new MOS at our current base. I'm assuming he's airborne? (you said something about a bad jump) So basically no matter how you slice it, he's going to need a new career path soon, preferably one that won't exacerbate his back problems. Line cooking is a poor choice. It's REALLY hard to get into a position in the restaurant world where you sit down on anything other than a toilet during any given 8-12 hour shift. If he does really want to stay in the culinary field, look at corporate and institutional dining. The companies tend to be larger, the hours more humane and regular, and there are benefits to be had. Morrison Dining (a subsidiary of Compass Group) does that sort of thing all over the country and they offer good benefits and regular hours. Look at compass-usa.com (I think) and you can search jobs by state and see what the job market is like. (the site is confusing- "morrison" jobs are always institutional, "Eurest" and "Restaurant Associates" tend to be corporate and "FLIK" is either schools or high-end corporate.) Aramark and Sodhexo are the two other big foodservice contractors in the US. Around here we tend to define "the industry" as "crazy people like us who are passionate about cooking and serving amazing food in restaurants" but there are plenty of foodservice jobs that are not like that. "Hospitals, Prisons and Schools" are words that strike fear into the heart of foodie cooks, but you know what? If your skillset is organizing and deploying huge amounts of food on time and on budget, running a nursing home kitchen can be a pretty cushy gig that will give you the hours and benefits to spend time with your family and set up an amazing home kitchen that you actually have time to cook in.

The week after I took a job managing a restaurant, my landlord replaced our stove. I didn't notice for days. I've used it once. There is something to be said for work-life balance.

If he gets the chance to reclass to something he likes before he gets medically retired, that seems like the best case scenario, despite you guys maybe having to stay in SC longer. That way he learns a new (hopefully marketable) skill/trade and when he gets out he can go to work and you can use the GI bill for your Masters degree.

Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Heyfresh: Awwww, is your quail getting married? And by that I mean "those plates look/sound fantastic- I just have a thing about inedible garnishes." Best of luck on working with family. I get out to your neck of the woods every few years, I will make it a point to look you up.

Bartending school might get you enough skill to lie on your resume and say you have bartending experience. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. Don't ever put it on your resume or tell anyone you went. That's actualy how, um, a friend of mine got a foot in the industry door in New Orleans. Yeah. A friend....

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

heyfresh888 posted:

It's traditional for presentation.

Cool! I did not know that.

In other news, I lost the job and saved the marriage. These are both good things!

I outlasted all but one of the past 6 GMs, but he drank on the job so he doesn't count. I learned a TON, and hopefully made most of my 'new manager' mistakes. So I'll be ahead of the curve for my next gig. I'm actually really happy to walk away from that job when I did- I was being asked to compromise some principles I didn't want to compromise. Staying longer would have meant becoming part of the dysfunction, instead of being a force for positive change. I also want to get a time machine and go back and punch myself in the face when I was an overachieving server.

Please, for the love of Pork, get right to the loving point when you are asking your manager for something. The length of your buildup is inversely proportional to my desire to grant your time off request.

There won't be a new thread for awhile- I'm sidelined due to my respiratory tract being one huge Rube Goldberg machine of disease and dysfunction, plus dealing with domestic stuff.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Thanks.

I believe the rule is we get a new thread every time I get a new job, so it will be awhile. For those of you just joining us, I have rotten luck, I tend to see the best in people even when I shouldn't and I prefer independently-owned restaurants. Add to that the fact that I'm a military spouse so I move across the country about every three years, not always to places with a great food scene... Plus I have the extreme luxury of not "having to" work to make ends meet. So I've taken some strange gigs that I knew were unstable in order to put a bullet point on my shitshow of a resume or to learn a skill.

The plan now is to cozy up to a big hotel chain or maybe Darden and get on their FOH/Food and Bev management ladder and start climbing.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

Wrought getting divorced: "Man, gently caress that douche"

Wrought saving her marriage: "I am ecstatic you and your wonderful husband were able to work things out. (gently caress that job, I guess)"

More than anything, I'm glad I'm no longer going to feel the need to come out of "retirement" and come work FOH for you to help you out of your lovely job situation.

Have you thought about trying to work for Kimpton? Great benefits, and they have hotels everywhere so transfers may not be that big of a problem. My friend tells me switching locations is easy, too.

I find that not getting too personally invested in making sense of my personal life is the best way to keep it from driving me crazy. That advice goes double for people who don't know all the boring and confusing details. :-)

Kimpton is pretty high on my list. We're going to be in the DC area for another few years and it will be awhile I'm healthy enough to work again, so I have plenty of time to go on interviews.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, what do you mean, 'healthy enough to work again'? How exactly did this job fall apart? :staredog:

Me getting sick and losing the job happened at the same time, but it wasn't exactly cause and effect. I'm sick with the flu plus hosed up lungs and sinuses, plus my head isn't exactly in the game, as Skinny King Pimp pointed out. I'm loaded up with all the steroids, inhalers and expectorants modern medicine can throw at me, but it will be a few weeks at least before I can sit through a job interview without having a coughing fit.

Also, Thanks, Tweek- sorry I took you the wrong way. :-)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Enderzero posted:

New questions: POS systems. I'm assuming the $25000 quote for one location is way too high (a $600 firewall? WHAT) but do you guys know where to research info about this loving huge topic? Google is all eaten up with websites representing companies but I don't see much out there to help you make an informed decision.

Nope, 25k is not at all outlandish. Overpriced? Yes. But that's about standard for a Micros/Aloha system. There has to be a better way, but every time I've been tasked with helping an owner research the subject they get sticker shock when I tell them how much Micros costs, then there's usually an awkward conversation about why I can't "just make one" out of two CRT monitors, an old laser printer and their kid's old Gameboy.

I think most of that 25k goes to the extensive psychiatric care needed for anyone who makes a career out of troubleshooting computers and restaurant managers at the same time.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

I spend most of my time looking at technology venture investments, but my boss has a lot of investments on the side including a piece of a restaurant chain. They're planning to expand aggressively in 2014 and need to get their operations really dialed in before they do so. So I'm digging through the financials and metrics, and working with the CFO/COO to get a handle on things.

So restaurant goons - aside from the really obvious things e.g. average check size, number of covers, etc., what would you track and optimize for if you were running a restaurant chain?

(also the average hourly wage numbers make me :gonk:)

Food Cost
Food Cost
Food Cost.
Booze Cost/Accountability.

Also, what does "planning to expand aggressively" mean? What markets? How do they intend to maintain brand consistency? How do you track customer satisfaction? Do they have one location that has a proven track record? What standards do FOH and BOH managers have to maintain?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/hospitality-management/index.aspx

Good idea, great idea or horrible idea? I already have three years worth of undergrad credits from MU, so it's not like they won't take my transfer credits, and the might take some from my AAS, too. But out of state tuition is stupidly expensive. On the upside, I wouldn't be hosed if we had to move. I hate hate hate the idea of taking out more loans, but I really need to finish my Bachelors if I ever want to get a good paying job.

Also, that last gig knocked a screw loose in my brain and the idea of "just" going to school and working part time as a fine dining server/bartender/pizza delivery girl/whatever sounds so nice...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Gonna echo this opinion. BBA in Management can go pretty much anywhere. Ever. You've already hospitality experience on your resume, so even the middle management bullshit that a business management degree has will be applicable, and it opens up other 'white collar' management positions for exactly what Liquid Communism said.

How much do you think one's major matters? I did some more research and I can attend a Virginia state school for way less money than the program I posted- the downside being that I would be hosed if we had to move before I finished. If I do go to school here, the easiest thing would be to get a Bachelor of Music Performance. The nearest school to me doesn't have a large core curriculum (Mizzou did) so going for a management major would add several semesters. Also, there is the small matter of re-learning how to sing after 8 years and remembering music theory.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Roxy Rouge posted:

State school credits will generally transfer, as will state school tuition and acceptance to programs if you are a military spouse.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think I explained it very well. I'm not just starting from the beginning choosing a major.

I went to school for three years as a music performance major at the University of Missouri. As such, I have about 70 credits from there- mostly music and core curriculum. All of these will transfer to the Virginia state school I plan to attend.

Problem: This school has very little core cirriculum. Most of your courses in any degree program are "in your major." So, I could finish my music degree in maybe three semesters, or start over in business/management and it would take at least 6- and I can't be sure I'll be living here past the summer of '15.

Obviously a business degree is better than a music degree or my line of work. However, I also have an AAS in culinary arts and 10 years industry experience. This degree is so that I don't get screwed when upper management jobs require a Bachelors. (I've seen this happen more than once to very well-qualified people.) What I'm trying to decide is if it's worth it to spend twice as much time and money to change one word on my diploma. I'm leaning towards no, but there's a lot that remains to be seen.

Also, the military spouse tuition assistance program only applies to "portable careers" which they define as Associates or certificate programs. They'd pay for me to go to school to be a nail technician but not a restaurant manager. Fuckers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kimitsu posted:

That horrifying to read as a host. I can understand a bad day, but even on the worst day you should be smiling and polite in front of the customer because it's the goddamn job. It really does enforce how important first impressions are.

I just finished a 9-day-straight run with 4 double shifts. I'm exhausted, and all I really do is smile prettily, take customers to seats, and check in coats. You chefs (and Wrought) are insane.

I love how I am included with my own special category. And yes, I am most certainly insane. :-)

Anyway, I've found myself with an abundance of free time to think about my future. I realized what any one of you probably could have told me- that working for nasty people to the point of mental collapse and then getting fired for being crazy is not a sound career plan. I'm going to file for unemployment (go ahead and argue it was a justifiable termination, assholes, I loving dare you) and then find a place that just does lunch and is run well by sane people. Either that or find a field where I can use my talents and skills to work 9-5 and get paid a lot of money. You would think that the ability to turn angry customers into happy repeat customers would have applications somewhere other than the "people skills" bullet on my resume, but so far I haven't come up with anything.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Are you kidding me? Can you imagine Wrought in corporate America? It'd be like every single trainwreck thread all rolled into one (no offense Wrought). Consider my interest piqued.

None taken. I'm surprisingly sane in person. I even own several flattering work outfits complete with blazers, several dresses and some nice jewelry! Plus I've worked in the FOH enough to be able to control my vocabulary when I need to. I think the hardest thing about working an office job would be all the sitting down. You simply don't sit down at work. (Unless you're making GBS threads. Always poo poo on the clock.) I'll probably end up in corporate dining again. In the meantime, I'm taking a few more weeks off to actually take care of my mental health instead of reenacting Hyperbole and a Half cartoons.

After school special time:
Seriously- take care of yourselves physically and mentally. Nobody is going to give you a gold medal for working yourself to death. You just eventually end up broken somehow. No matter how much you love the industry, the industry does not love you. Not even a little.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Industry Thread: Where we are more likely to check into the loony bin than go to the ER for a mere flesh wound.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Especially when I was supposed to be on days, so now I get to tell my family that no, I don't actually get to come to any of the holiday events for the third year running!

If I get you in GWSSS you're getting a light therapy box and a bottle of whiskey.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I may have to look into light therapy. I've been getting by on making whimsical rum drinks and spending a couple hours a day in the gym.

(rum. noted.)

Seriously try it. Being a crazy person, I meet a lot of people who have tried various therapies for various things, and I have heard nothing but raves from people who have done (and actually stuck with) light therapy. Even those sunrise alarm clocks seem to help a lot of people with getting out of bed in their "morning." There's also drugs, but those don't always play well with alcohol.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Dude I made like $14/hour (with tips) and all I did was make/serve coffee for 3 weeks and I got burned out.

What do you do now that's easier and how much do you make? I'm serious.

Because, to quote one of my role models, "I want to go to there."

So far, my adventure in career change has involved me surfing indeed.com and seeing what looks interesting. I'm not qualified to do anything. Even if I had a bachelors, pretty much all entry level jobs require two years of experience which I guess means interning for free for two years? Or maybe they're making sure you're ethically compromised enough to lie on your resume. who knows.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress that noise. Basically, two years' experience means they don't want some dumbfuck never-worked-a-day-in-his-life straight out of highschool. You could wrangle your experience into being applicable for an admin assistant or office manager position with your eyes closed.

I could also probably manage an office with my eyes closed. I have exceptional hearing.

Kidding aside (and no offence intended to admins) I have always wanted a career. I can deal with a job in the short term, I'm just getting antsy about not having a 5 year plan.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well yeah, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it.

There is something satisfying about being able to ignore physical pain much better than everyone else. Sometimes I don't even notice that I've burned myself until the next day.

In group therapy, (what? don't pretend you're surprised) I've learned to just not mention work stuff and to shut my mouth when anyone else does. When I talk about what I do (did) people either compare themselves and feel bad, or it turns into an intervention, which is pointless.

It's an alright life if you've got your eye on a future in the industry or if you're only doing it for awhile and then it's off to bigger and better things. But being a line cook your entire working life is not a fate I would wish on my worst enemy.

Which is why I'm getting out. I can't work 70 hour weeks, stay sane and have a family life. That seems to be kind of a "pick any two" situation. But I won't say I didn't love it while it lasted.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

there are a billion office jobs out there, with a baseline requirement of 'you know how to use microsoft word and excel, and can be there 9-5 and answer a phone'. I helped hire this girl recently for a client of mine, and our basic requirement were that she be smart, on top of things, personable, and know how to google poo poo and figure things out for herself. she does some data entry now (ie, take a company name, type it in to google, copy and paste address information into a spreadsheet), answer some phone calls, check e-mail boxes, set up contracts with caterers and event spaces (the other end of what you do now), and we're paying her $18/hr.

if you really wanna switch careers, just do it girl!

it's pretty boring though :/

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to land a job doing officey stuff someplace that does something that I actually care about and might have a future doing. The problem is a lot of the jobs like the one you described also inexplicably require a bachelors degree and three years office experience, but I've been told by quite a few people to ignore that and apply anyway if it's something I'm otherwise qualified for. I'm also looking for desk jobs with companies like Sysco where my experience is actually relevant.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It's that last thing. Do you mean I should ask their catering manager what tip is appropriate?

I agree with dino. but I don't think you owe anyone an apology. If their policy is to set up and they're not doing it because you're a bad tipper- that's their gently caress up. Either way, a nice phone call to the manager is in order. She can set everyone straight about the policies, including, if necessary, her delivery guys.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

slimskinny posted:

5 years ago I got a job washing dishes in a country club to see if I could make it in the restaurant business. Moved up over the years, passed on a salary position so tomorrow I could get in near the ground floor of one of the hottest restaurants (groups) in town (James Beard circuit). Gonna get some butchering experience, high volume, and even more upscale experience than what I was doing.

Pretty drat excited.

I remember when you first joined us, I think I was in culinary school at the time or had just graduated. You've always been one of my favorite GWS sucess stories. :3:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Excellent post. I love insider looks at these sort of things. Thanks for that.

As for my excessive interviews, it's both a big chain restaurant, and it's also been sort of a weird setup.

Some of what you're saying sounds like typical corporate bullshit, but a lot of it sounds like seriously disorganized management. If their hiring practice is so scattershot it's a good bet everything else is, too. I think you're talking to a lot of people who don't have the authority to hire you, which raises a red flag.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take the job, just that you shouldn't assume that four interviews means they are super-exclusive in their hiring. Also that you should expect things like schedule changes and problems with your paycheck to be resolved in a similar manner. Thirdly, expect at least a week of training before you have your own section and are making tips.

Sorry to be such a bucket of cold water, like others have said- there is no reason to have that many interviews for a server position. I have a pretty good track record for hiring good people, and two interviews was the absolute max. And even that only happened if I was seriously on the fence about somebody and wanted my boss to weigh in. If that's the case with you, it might be because of your friend. Managers tend to be extra careful about hiring friends and relatives because it can contribute to clique culture which is a pain in the rear end to deal with. Your friend's reputation will be a factor in their decision, and they will assume you are going to be a lot like your friend.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Nah, you were right. I called them back and they said they didn't want me after all. Now begins panic and anxiety as I have no money and only 2 days of work this week. That was a waste of valuable time I could have spent looking for another job.

I think you dodged a bullet. Good luck

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

this sounds like an excuse

you're never going to find an office job doing something you actually care about and might build into a future. at least, not coming from no bachelors degree and no three years experience working in an office.

You're probably right. I have a lot of excuses not to work (We can live on my husband's salary, I am not super psyched about leaving the industry, I have health concerns that weigh heavily into choosing a job) but none of those things are as significant as the fact that I can't just sit around the house all day being useless or I'll go back into a depressive death spiral.

Thanks (really) for the motivational rear end-kicking. Time to send out some more resumes and make follow-up calls. I've got a lead on a good temp agency- that might be a good fit for now.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh, he is 100% right. Do you have any idea how many people want that office job right now? And 98% of them have a Bachelors or higher.

My GF is in the exact same boat right now. Specially here in the Boston area, having no college degree drastically reduces your job prospects. Also, she has had two major surgeries this year, so she hasn't been able to work much, and it's driving her insane. Right now she could be working 60 hours week cooking, but she can't stand on her gimpy foot for more then an hour. So, I've been teaching her how to be a consultant (I do analytics and business process engineering). She actually landed a consulting gig helping some folks down in Florida start up a new restaurant: recipe development, food sourcing, nutritional calculations, etc. etc. At some point they going to fly her down to hire and train the staff. This has been a great transition, because she doesn't have to stand all day.

So the work isn't as steady, you have to file taxes as self-employed, and you have learn a bunch of the consulting "soft skills", but she is making WAY MORE money then she ever did being directly employed. More importantly, shady business owners used to "hire" her for basically the same work, but give her the low pay that most food-service workers typically earn. Rebranding yourself as a consultant is a great way to move up, but its an entirely different mindset that you have to learn. This could be an option for you, given that you don't have to worry about health care bennies.

Consulting crossed my mind but I dismissed it thinking I was underqualified- I've never been Exec at any place larger than a 35-foot schooner. I might revisit that at some point.

The current Great Idea is to go to school to be a radiologic technician. Pay is good, the course is 18 months and there's room for upward mobility. Health care is a growing field so getting a job would be fairly easy, and I'd still be interacting with "guests" and not sitting down very much. And I would get to wear a very comfortable uniform. I think this one might be a winner. Office work is not going to work out for me unless I wake up one day and find I suddenly enjoy it. Also, I can get tuition assistance from the Army since it's considered a "portable career" and doesn't require a Bachelors. (Military spouses can't get tuition assistance for anything above an Associates. Yeah. I know.) I'd only have to take out a couple grand in student loans.

Next step is more research and finding the downsides.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Huzzah! Flexeril. My new doctor is the best doctor, and I am so glad he was a cook when he was younger, so that when I tell him something hurts, he actually gets that it hurts and doesn't tell me to just work out more for the back pain.

Flexeril is the best. Just be careful with the knifework, it will gently caress up your coordination a bit. Also, don't keep doing whatever stupid poo poo caused you to hurt yourself in the first place. Not having the pain to remind you can cause you to do more damage.*

*this PSA brought to you by my left trapezius

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Woo! Congratulations, TB. You deserve it!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Cercies posted:

Last night I got word from my GM that the chef and her husband are expecting an invite to the holiday party I am hosting next week. I really don't want to invite her, because none of the staff particularly enjoys her company and it was a chance for us all to get drunk and bag on work for a moment. Normally I would just send an email explaining that this is for the hourly crew at a dive bar, but she has a bad reputation of taking it out on people who don't invite her to things. Also, she just gave me a raise and complimented my work (which is another rarity) and I don't want to jeopardize me being in her good graces for once.

Any advice on how to invite the boss but not actually invite her?

"Pimp or ho attire required."

"I will be reading from my epic poem, Dish Bitch Rising."

"Paint your own pottery"

"Enjoy food, wine and a new opportunity to invest money in your future!"

"In keeping with my new religious views, there will be no alcohol, caffeine, sugar, meat, dairy or grains served. Please do not bring your own."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

nwin posted:

That makes sense. I wouldn't expect a bottle of wine to be comped. In the drink that was too boozy, it was a cocktail that was made up at that place and we had no idea about the stuff in it, but it sounded interesting, so we gave it a shot. I liked it, but I was driving, so I couldn't drink it, and it tasted way too strong for her, so luckily it was comped.

My rule of thumb is that a guest never pays for something they don't enjoy. Bottles of wine being the sometimes exception, but if it's refused when the waiter pours a taste for the guest right after opening the bottle (i.e. the customer never touches it,) the wine goes behind the bar to be sold by the glass (unless it's corked, obv.) People who have "enjoyed" their entire entree or drink and then complain get offered a free dessert and a concerned "oh! I wish you had said something sooner, I would have happily gotten you something else!"

I was always pretty heavy-handed with the comps, but I also had a great record for guest service. My various bosses over the years never complained.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

speaking of sending stuff back/being disgruntled in restaurants

and I don't mean to bring up tipping chat, but

is there an acceptable way to let a waiter/waitress know they've done a horribly lovely job?

I tip 20% across the board, even with mediocre service - and closer to 30% if I think someone has really gone above and beyond. but, I feel like I really don't know how to leave a 'poor' tip - like if I just leave 15%, I feel like that might be in the realm of what an average patron would leave - so it might not get the message across. I feel like a huge dick leaving 10% or below, so that leaves me sort of in the 12% range for 'sending a message'? but I'm not really sure that's even effective. I mean, I've never even worked front of house, I don't know how much attention waiters even pay to individual table's tips. I could just say something, but I'm actually a really nice and non-confrontational guy in real life, and hate doing that.

dunno. thoughts?

Tip 10%, using exact change.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Place we sell desserts to gave me the ur-example of this a while back. One of their cooks went down with what he thought was food poisoning. He took a day off, then went right back to work because they had a 75 person wedding party to cater for. Ended up plating the salads.

While sweating norovirus.

70 guests, the bride and groom, and half the staff down within a week. Several hospitalizations. The restaurant settled out of court to the tune of fat sacks of cash.

Don't gently caress around with contagious diseases.

Now if only employers would let employees take sick days without repercussions. Most chefs I worked for expected me to be at work unless I was unconscious or bleeding from an artery.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Zadmaster posted:

Enjoying reading your x-mas horror stories; haven't hit up this thread in close to a year.

Not to rub it in, but this is the first holiday season I've actually not had to work. Feels weird. A couple months ago I took a corporate dining gig, and sold out hard. The job itself I really don't get very passionate about (at a blue collar account where the customers shun anything new), and I also have a crippling fear that I'm wasting my abilities, but nights, weekends, and holidays off is pretty drat appealing.

Any of you guys ever stepped back from the restaurant world and faked the funk like this? I know that right now it's what I need to do for my family, but I miss being in a fast paced, a la carte type dining environment. Is there a middle ground?

Either way, happy whatever to all you bastards.

I sold out and did corporate. I was at a nicer place so there was some professional satisfaction. When I would feel like a sell-out I would just go home at 3 in the afternoon and cook myself a nice dinner and spend time with my husband. That usually cured me of self-doubt. I loved restaurants, but I love time with family more. I would still be doing the corporate thing if personal stuff hadn't gotten in the way.

If you want to find a better corporate gig check out Compass USA's job postings online and look for postings that mention FLIK in the description. Avoid Morisson- that's Compass's "schools, hospitals and prisons" division. Eurest and Restaurant Associates can be good, too.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

On one hand I have a new job now with actual responsibility and work to do. On the other hand it is starting with letting 35 employees know they are now unemployed and we are closing the location they work at effective immediately. Including my roommate. drat.

That is The Worst Feeling. I'm so sorry you have to do that. Just be prepared with answers to the questions people are going to ask, even if that answer is "I don't know."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

It's not your fault, dude. Really and truly, it's not. For all you know, corporate was planning to shut down that location at the end of the year all along. Quit beating yourself up.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Reiz posted:

In my experience keeping the cooks from bitching about how they always have to hold your hand in the dishroom is the #1 way to get promoted out of the dishroom, just remember your original plan to get out while you still can. After 7 years I'm almost out, and it would've been a lot less painful if I listened to the first guy who told me to get out while I still can.

If you're a chump, it's also the #1 way to make sure you never get promoted out of the dishpit. Good dishwashers who show up on time and work hard and don't require endless supervision are like unicorns that poo poo gold, and managers won't want to replace them in the pit. Often, you have to show your willingness to quit and go somewhere else to get that promotion to prep cook.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ohemgee posted:

On the other side of that coin, there seems to be a consensus at the place I work at, that if the host/hostess isn't seating you, that they obviously hate you. Never mind the fact that the reataurant has a huge fireplace and when I have five tables in a row say "Ohh, do you have the fireplace going? Can we sit by it??" that we have to honor it and seat them at the tables closest to the fireplace.

And that's after the "I need to sit by the window/against the wall/in a corner/at a larger table" requests.

Now that I'm a server too, I've found that I still have little to no patience for servers' whining.

Hassling the host should be a punishable offence at any decent restaurant.

Also, how many of those fireplace tables asked to be moved because they were too hot? ;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah. It's bullshit, and probably illegal. I've been doing a bit of research into national/California law around on-call employment and I think I can make the case that they need to pay me my two hours even if they don't call me in. I bet that would alter calculations a bit.

I had to look into that for myself awhile back and as far as the FLSA is concerned, the determining factor is whether or not you have to be at your place of employment while you're on call, and the frequency of calls. This might help: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/hoursworked/default.asp

• Locked thread