Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoht posted:

I don't think most people understand that if a restaurant is serious about allergies and they say they're allergic it means having to possibly change cutting boards, knives, mixing bowls, cooking utensils, towels and anything else that might have touched said allergen over the course of the day during the middle of the loving rush. So please, don't make us go through that poo poo if we don't actually have to.

And yeah, that's the problem. By the time the 7th person in a dinner rush has ordered something with a SEVERE ALLERGY (when probably only two of those people actually did), who thinks that the 17 year old salad kid is really going to grab all new bowls and boards and tongs? We all say in our place he will, but we also care enough to be on the internet talking about it. The kid at Susie's Homestyle Cook Shack is not going to, and now some guy is getting his salad dragged around in a bowl that accidentally had a teaspoon of peanut sauce dropped in it 10 minutes ago and he's going to have a reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
8 pcs Dinosoar chicen: The Restaurant Industry Thread

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
My place is closed every Sunday, I never have to do brunch.

Except for Mother's Day. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

this is gonna be fun, doing eggs with 2 nonstick pans in my entire restaurant. gonna put poached on every loving dish, gently caress 'em

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Non-stick pans? What are you, afraid of butter? :P

And my not-nonstick pans are from before I started when the dishwashers apparently washed everything with a rusty nail and a hammer. There's no way to make eggs not break in them.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoht posted:

You can't just buy a couple new pans?

I mean, I can, but they're perfectly adequate for what I normally use them for and even an extra $40 just for a stupid brunch (this is literally the first brunch we've ever done, I'm going to try really hard to not ever do another) seems like a waste.

If it becomes a regular thing, then yes. I can buy new pans.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah man. I've been cooking eggs for a bit of time now, I can usually handle them. My not-nonstick pans are hosed to the point of unless I'm oil poaching an egg in them, there's no way they're usable (for eggs).

This has gone on a really long derail. I'm touched that you're all so concerned about my pan situation.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

RG3 2.0 posted:

Jesus Christ.

We talking about cooking eggs.

:allbuttons:

It's the mother's day insanity setting in.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Now he'll have to do my expense reports. Gonna start buying tons of poo poo with my personal card, 1 item at a time. :getin:

I already mostly do this (out of necessity rather than spite) and usually submit receipts and paperwork a week after the month has ended. Whups.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So my province (Ontario) is potentially looking at a minimum wage hike to $15/hour across the board, and instituting paid sick days and vacation pay increases (currently 2 weeks a year). Facebook and the newspapers are currently a shitstorm of "This is awesome and good for people and long overdue" and "What the gently caress government this is going to destroy small businesses and gently caress X, Y, and Z industries into the ground". It's fun.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Well, everyone knows Seattle, San Francisco and Oakland had their entire restaurant industries completely and totally collapse when they increased the minimum wage.

"But our cost of living is already so high! Other places don't have to deal with that!" <------ actual argument I got from someone

after pointing out nordic countries and san francisco to them

so

i've been arguing on the internet a lot lately and it's kind of depressing

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Current minimum is $11.40/hour so to $15 is like a 24% increase. Had some guy tell me (even after clarifying) that if we were to raise minimum that the cost of living would go up at least 24% as a result.

people are fuckin stupid man

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Every restaurant I've worked at in Northern Ontario had a hard liquor limit of 1.5-2oz per drink and a limit of 2 drinks per half hour.

That's not a provincial law thing, that's probably just a "we're up north and this is what's best for people not getting drunk and loving up our property". Northern Saskatchewan (where I grew up) has similar things, yet where I am now (southern Ontario) the limit is 3oz of hard alcohol at a time (per person, so you can still do pitchers/fishbowls/punch bowls/whatever).

And the 2 drink limit per half hour is probably suggested by Smart Serv (the provincial accreditation you need to serve alcohol) but no one ever follows that.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

You'll pry my ritual double shot n' brew from my cold, bourbon-shivering hands.

(My restaurant owner drinks Maker's so it's even cheaper than our usual staff drinks, so now I drink Maker's)

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

I don't know about all that, but finely ground white pepper actually works just like styptic powder (and as much as your brain says it probably should, it doesn't burn or hurt in any way).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
what is it about summer that makes people order gumbo?

it's loving hot out.

stop ordering the heavy meat soup.

what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

As long as I don't gently caress up my tasting tomorrow, I'll be taking a sweet exec banquet sous position that pays better and doesn't have poo poo hours.

If I only knew how to cook.

Study up tonight. Learn how to.... pan? food. You'll rock it, I have faith.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

RIP Willie Tomg

But congrats CDC. Now live the hell that is finding staff for an omelette station in the morning and a risotto station at dinner every day from now until forever.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I did it guys, I hit the mid-career jackpot.

Congratulations, internet friend. Seriously, that's an accomplishment and loving awesome.

I had a talk with my restaurant owner today that ended with us having a 3-month plan to open up a new 25-30 seat space because we're currently making money (the restaurant, not either one of us personally) so why the gently caress not. I'll be stuck making no money and working obscene hours in sub 60-seat restaurants forever! Huzzah!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yes, immersion blender are used in pro kitchens. More often that standard blenders. We just use giant fuckoff Warings that can blend 10+ gallons of stuff.

Absolutely this, but I've also got a $40 black and decker piece of poo poo in my kitchen that gets used constantly. No sense in dirtying and washing an entire blender when I can just throw something in the litre container it's going to be stored in and puree the poo poo out of it (or mix it, or emulsify it, or whatever).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm currently cooking for a natural foods co-op deli

This post made me happy by the time I got to this part. I hope things are going well for you, JD.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jesus gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Man and his dog posted:

Anyone else getting the rear end kicking that summer season is?

It's been brutal this summer.

Oh yeah and the AC unit is out... :suicide:

Summer is actually my slow season. I just got back from my first week-long vacation in 3 years, to my kitchen not being a shitshow (because my crew is awesome) and then last night we hosted a burlesque show and did the most sales we've ever done on a Wednesday. It was loving awesome.

Sorry about your troubles, AMAHD.

• Locked thread