Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Welp, looks like I'm back in da bidness. The missus is working days, and I'm stuck with nights. I've worked on and off in the industry since 2012, I know my way around a dish pit got the knife skills to bang out prep work fast, bussed tables, done expo/food runner, and covered salad station. There's just something about working in a kitchen that keeps drawing me pack. It's exhausting work, but satisfying at the end of the day. Across all kinds of occupations, managers will talk about working as a team, communicating with team members, etc. Nothing else compares to a tightly run kitchen. It's more than just teamwork. Every single body in the room is a cog, the machine's running full blast. You are all on the same page, not because "it's good for morale" but because it's absolutely necessary.

It can be back-breaking work, but if you bust your rear end just like everyone else you're golden. You're all in this together, and you will all make it out alive.

I'm hundreds of pages behind on this thread and don't have the quote, but someone a long time ago posted that "if you can handle the work, you will ALWAYS have a job lined up." Even if you move out of town, the restaurant closes, etc. you can jump right back into it with a cursory job search. Once you have the experience, it's so easy get "in" at another place. You show up on time? You can use a knife? Thas it mane you got the job and we will throw extra hours at you until you quit.

The cherry on top, you get the best stories. Kitchen crew are always a colorful bunch.It's also nice to be able to pick up weed while you're at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
At the place I've started working at, things are pretty good. I'm getting paid more as entry level dish and prep than what line cooks at my old job made. The work is still hard, but easier. The floor seats less people but the kitchen is the same size as my old job. My only complaint is that one of the prep cooks likes to run the floor blower (for drying floors after washing and mopping) upwind of the dish pit. He does it just to cool down and get some fresh air.

The problem is that if you're doing dishes, you get Marilyn Monroe'd by the updraft. It's a floor level gust of air. Your apron flaps all over and sits itself in dirty dishwater. Every 30 seconds you're pulling your whites and undershirt down. Also when you open the dish machine it gusts 130F-170F degree steam all over you.The breeze does feel good, I get where he's coming from. I'd rather live with the heat than deal with all the annoying side effects though. Dish and prep don't have their own vent hood so it does get warmer than the line, but a floor dryer is not the solution to the problem. I'll see if we can get a desk fan in there to replace the floor blower.

The fact that this is the worst thing I have to bitch about makes me think that it should be smooth sailing otherwise. The walk-in is well organized, people clean up after themselves, and even after a crazy dinner rush things aren't trashed. Nobody is abusing degreaser and bleach as some kind of cleaning ambrosia. I have yet to run into anything that screams HEALTH CODE VIOLATION WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?? So far, so good.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

80 hours this week :toot:

I signed up for 30-ish hours but the person I'm replacing is incredibly loving flakey. I've come in to cover a few extra shifts they called out after their two weeks' notice. Gonna get a little overtime on my first paycheck, and the GM threw a few extra bucks at me for covering on short notice. If you are willing to throw your body into the meat grinder, you can always have as many hours as you want.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 17, 2017

• Locked thread