Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Jobs I've been offered this month:

Wine/spirt sales rep
AGM of a upscale sports bar
Staying on the coverage list of every Derossi property except Death & Co.

Hmm. I want a job that will afford me more nice things, but I don't want to leave hospitality. I want to move up in hospitality, but I don't really want to leave beverage. I want to ball hard at great spots but I I don't want to freelance through the high season only be out of work again in February.

Also I want a pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

I truly have no idea what you do currently anyway.

I'm a consultant. Read: whatever pays. I'm probably more likely to get that pony than get into brand work, but we'll see.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've cut myself on ice pretty often: when you get big bags delivered from one of the ice houses for an event, you often end up with fast-frozen barrels that start melting the moment they come off the machine, so they're gathered into 35lb bags and stuck in a freezer. Thing is, the outside has started to melt and when it refreezes, it tempers and becomes more brittle. Cue me getting a delivery and using an event grade ice pick (a crowbar rinsed in gin, sometimes) to break it up and cutting my hand on sharp, brittle ice that now needs to be burned because I bled on it. Yay.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Garregus posted:

Oh, we have drains. They are about 1" above the floor.

With a 2" air break between the drain and pipe? Because that's regulation in NYC, keeps sewage contamination to a minimum. Pain to clean, but thems the breaks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

90% of FoH is showing up. 5% is up selling, 5% is being attractive and attentive.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Don't beef on Philly. The BYOB culture makes for a lot of really great little places, it's not all roast cheesesteaks and Garces joints.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

crackhaed posted:

Wait, places drug test the chefs?

Yeah, if you come up negative, they send you back a proper kitchen for a few weeks until you pop for stimulants and weed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Does your restaurant start with a C, L, or an M?

I sure hope so, since I dipped on Tales this year and need to go visit a few of my transplanted homies.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've been rocking a pair of Red Wings steeltoe boots since late last year, and they're bulletproof for bar work. Probably wouldn't fly on the floor, but they're a real life saver when you work without mats.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Barback if you want to bartend. The work is crushing but the payoff is real if your bosses aren't assholes. Don't work drunk, even if your bartenders pour you crazy shots.

That said, if you can get an education, get out.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I hope that wasn't us at seat 6 tonight. That was in my top three meals of life.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

And "true" on your other hand.

Nothing beats bartender tats, since they either have to be discreet or else inspire confidence that you should not gently caress with someone who has no fear of being on the inside.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Dunno how Aloha works, but MicrOS lets us automatically append a surcharge for adds and subs.

So if someone orders a Manhattan but they want Bulleit, it adds 2.50 when you pick Bulleit. Is it possible for you to do that?

Same idea in reverse; you can set your buttons by item and then modify, or have buttons for call drinks/liquors/apps and have modifiers pop up. If you have to train a lot, it's easier to say "ring the booze then the modifiers" than it is to say "what kind of drink/what liquor/how do they want it"?

Essentially, think backwards from the steps of service, and you'll make fewer mistakes at the POS.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

No Wave posted:

I'm really interested in what you mean by this - I totally believe you, I just don't intuitively understand what the social process of advancement is in this case.

Not being in the starred world myself, but knowing a few who are and more than two PR kids, I'm guessing he means that people are playing the "cook for Keller, stage Noma, get two gold stars for being quiet at nap time and open your own kitchen somewhere to great fanfare" hustle.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Black August posted:

It's also about who you know, not what. I got a fellow busser who does it for shits and exercise from his day office job. Told me if I can blow the $100 for a few days of bartending school, he'll hook me up to be a bartender with a friend who owns like 3 places. So that's my next move, and I gotta be fast with winter setting in.

Anywhere that asks for a Bartending school as a credential is full of poo poo and not somewhere you want to bartend. Barback and learn the trade, not eight variations on shooters and how to waste away at an Applebee's wannabe.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I can train larger breeds of dog to make cocktails and serve graciously, but I'd rather not break bad habits at the same time.

Barback. Seriously. It's analogous to getting your start as a dish bitch or prep cook.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Also I'd hire BoH anyway to barback. Skills translate well, including the after shift binge drinking, carrying heavy poo poo up slippery steps, and constant lower back pain.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

Tonight I had a man who looked a bit like Mitt Romney ask me to bring the table 6 "Surfers on Acid" shots, and if we couldn't make that, 6 shots of chilled Patron. We are an upscale pan-American restaurant. A Surfer on Acid is Jager, coconut rum, and pineapple juice. We don't stock Jager or coconut rum. This is after they sent back 2 bottles of Malbec for "not tasting right."

I brought 6 chilled shots of Siete Leguas repo, and they ended up giving me one because one of their party had left. It was a weird night.

While the customer is always right, they are often always a boner as well. Two different malbecs? Not corked, I assume.

Also, what is it about chef/owners that makes them impervious to reason when it comes to things they don't understand? They can do menus, yes, and usually have a working knowledge of wine. I also get the kind of mind and behaviors that are needed to keep a kitchen functioning at a profit, so there's that, however once you move into FoH it's like they want to stab everything that they can't control.

I have experiences I don't want to detail because I'm not nearly as anonymous as I'd like to think and my community is shockingly small, but right now I'm working at a restaurant with an excellent cocktail program, and the head bartender is stepping off this month. I decided to go with him because he's a friend and I am going to start working a different program by the time I come back from Portland Cocktail Week mid-month. Chef-owner asks me if I wouldn't mind doing a little consulting after the dust settles, see if I can't tighten down liquor costs and streamline some parts of the menu. He quotes a few figures, most of which I think are costs since opening and not month by month, I say I'll think about it. Next day I call my homie, who is shocked that he's getting the rug pulled out, and quotes me a different, much more reasonable set of data re: costs and P/L.

My experience with chef/owners screams "he wants to kill what he doesn't understand, run!" while my inner whore says to take the money and see if we can't get a revamped menu in the press for winter. I'll wait to see where and how my mans end game goes before I do anything, of course, because I'm not a buddy-fucker.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Just don't expect them to pay you what you think you're worth, because to many hospitallers (especially those who grew up pre-internet), a good clean website that loads easily on a Mobile is more trouble than it's worth, so take your witchcraft elsewhere good sir.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I'm trailing at a unbelievably serious place tonight: think I should get my red wings shined?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Does that $600 firewall come with insurance against having hundreds of credit cards per week getting sniffed?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

heyfresh888 posted:

My brother just bought a breadcrumb POS system for 4000$. It comes with 2 physical cash drawers, 2 full size ipads, 3 ipad mini for servers, 2 ticket machines and the entire wifi network. Along with all the associated support set up and maintenance. I'm sure I'm missing something but it seemed like a pretty good deal.

When it shits the bed, it does so spectacularly, but they're getting better. Pro tip: don't buy two internet connections thinking that'll insulate you from one failing. Chances are they're on the same network anyway, though that time my friends double backed up breadcrumb uninstalled itself during a Friday night service was hilarious. Almost definitely user error but still, getting my tab comped because "gently caress that" is second best to getting a variety of dicks drawn on register tape.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Black August posted:

It appears you need to either be a very savvy and determined human, or a very gross and loving stupid one, to run a restaurant.

Welp here's your new thread title.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Honestly, invest the money, find a job you don't hate for the off season but won't miss you terribly when you have to go. Boom.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

So my roommate works as a server at the restaurant I left about 6 months ago. Last night he hosed another server, in the bathroom, on the clock, shortly after the rush broke.

I'm not sure if there's any meaningful takeaway from this story.

It's called "you don't care about your job, that's what after hours on the bar top is for". Still :golfclap:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Alcohol, nicotine, and 430am Fujanese food is all the drugs I need thank you very much.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

reserve posted:

You smoke????? How ghastly.

Remember how much trouble it nearly led to on the service ramp on Halloween? What an awful habit (jj/k smoking owns and is our only break on 10+ hr shifts spent standing). Don't look down on it just because it raises the cost of your insurance premiums.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Black August posted:

Got a second interview set up Wednesday, so hooray for that. I'll goddamn shoot myself right then and there if they make me a backserver, though.

Gotta start somewhere, and no better way to appreciate the intricacies of fine dining thank working as a backserver.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Terrifying! Let us know when you move to Queens, we'll get you drinking some good wine (lots. lots of good wine).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. well it's really going to come down to the nuts and bolts of it all (Boulder is def. going to give me an offer), but I'm secretly hoping that they blow me away tomorrow and make the choice easy. Friend of a friend in Boulder actually works for one of their distributors out there, and says that he basically gets infinite wine. How much of a salary do I need to live in Astoria?

Not that much depending on how you feel about commuting. Also I don't know where the sw&s offices are. But if your instincts aren't to lace up your gloves and put on your drinking pants to come compete with the big boys and girls in the nations largest liquor market, well, maybe Colorado isn't so bad. But we finna take some cracks at ya if that's the case.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

It's "facebook official," I accepted the gig doing wine analysis in Queens! Now for the "joy" of finding a place to live.

Hop in the LAN thread for advice on where to live. PM me and we'll get drinks. Congrats, or something.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Invite her two hours early then when she texts to say no ones there, tell her you're all still finishing up at work.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

We got loving hit tonight. Huge Christmas Eve. No one was expecting that. Probably did like 15k-18k in sales at dinner. I'm so tired.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Did Santa leave shots? Like, a lot of them?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There's an end of year sale at Korin for those of y'all who are still on the German tip. I got a hammered Damascus togiharu for Xmas,band it's even prettier and sharper than the lady who kindly thought of me when she saw it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Black August posted:

To those of you about to bartend tonight, we salute you. SUCKEEEEERRRSSSSSS

I can't won't be able to hear you over the sound of champagne corks and single nostril inhaling. And drunk girls yelling whooooooooooooooooo.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah, he's by all means a good chef, but in my limited interactions with him he seems to really be shooting for stereotypical I AM GOD persona.
My condolences on the cancer and also on your moms health.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

brick cow posted:

Ahh, you're making me homesick for eastern PA. :allears:

I'm surprised the beer guys didn't beat the ever living poo poo out of him though.

I'm shocked they didn't hire some guys to have him beat but good. Now I want a roast pork.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Oh god someone's opening a high concept new American joint in my hood and asked me about setting up a bar program. Why am I taking this meeting? Don't I know I'll never have another day off, just like last time? Why is my life only fun when it's on fire?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

That reminds me it's time to call in for my on-call shift to see if I put my day on hold for any reason or not.

This is the worst thing. Two busy summer weekends hit, an inexperienced manager says "oh, I'll leave x and z 'on call' in case we experience too much volume". Bullshit. Staff according to anticipated demand, anticipate demand using last years numbers (where applicable), and have a better pressure relief than a confused looking hostess and a manager who ends up running food anyway. Pro tip: if you have enough unused cap on a given late week night to have a swing/call sever, you have dead space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Seamless is great, except for the whole fax thing. I'm of mixed feelings about including the tip on there, as well as doing delivery if you don't have dedicated bussers, but that was just one place in particular.

• Locked thread