Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Murder him, don't get your tires slashed as well Oldsrocket, and congrats deceiver! I'm thinking my firing was a blessing in disguise too.

Speaking of which, I finally made my way back to the old job last week. Things seem to be going the same as they were, guy doing my job now is power tripping and not as good at the receiving as I was, both of which don't surprise me. But on a high note, karma seems to have worked in my favor. The girl who I'm sure snitched on me got herself fired, for stealing a donut of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

no cdc, you can't play Hydrogen by M.O.O.N six-hundred and sixty six times throughout the day, that's not the game. we've been over this.

That's why you play the whole Hotline Miami soundtrack, duh.

Prep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgM67enfwQ

Weeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wW6jXZ5cRk
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINi-b5Fi1o

Close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl58QllW2QM

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AcP3VHiak
This whole album would be pretty good too. Or the first Ziltoid album, Ziltoid the Omniscient.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best of luck to all of you degenerates who are working over the weekend. I'm on my vacation finally, leaving to see my boyfriend tomorrow afternoon. It felt good to sleep in after my 9 days straight at the hospital job. Getting called in for the 5am shift was interesting, and didn't go as badly as it could have. And I've learned how to do pretty much every station in my department now, aside from the registers. I should ask to learn those too, just to make myself that little bit more useful. Initiative is a good thing, especially with a new company coming in to take over the food service contract.

I'll drink a cider and eat some fresh picked Georgia apples for y'all. :3:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steritech and EcoLab (I think) are some of the bigger private companies. I assume EcoLab is one, or maybe they just provide supplies.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, never heard of them. I just know of Steritech since Giant Eagle would always freak the gently caress out over them, every drat time :v:. And our lettuce always temped a little high, because it would always be right around lunch when they'd come for inspections.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can confirm, working in one right now. It's easier than any other kitchen I've worked in so far.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't tease us like that then NOT post the story.

I have no real fun stories. Aside from last year this time, when I was still doing receiving for the grocery store job. Our Turkey dinner things would come as side bundles, already packed from the central kitchen, all together in a shoddy cardboard box that wasn't very durable. I think we ended up with somewhere around 90 of those bundles, and then like, 10 more cases of each of the sides for people to buy separately. About 6 different ones, 8 or so to the box. So many of those. It was a pain in the rear end to organize the dinner bundles, much less all the extra sides we ended up with in the department.

Now this year I'll be making double time, for so much less work since I'm scheduled to do the serving. And I've heard tell I can schedule that day as PLT AS WELL, and earn triple time basically.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Second, after the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Agreed, do whatever you can do about that.

On a brighter note, I'm getting promoted after only a few months at the hospital I'm working at. Guess the new management likes me. I've mentioned it before, but AVI is now running the foodservice at the hospitals I work for (there's about 4 of them around Columbus.) Things seem to be working out well with them.

But anyways, promotions. I'm being moved from the front (grill, deli/pizza, directly interacting with hospital staff and visitors, and some patients.) Back to mostly doing prep for room service (food for the patients, delivered by "Ambassadors" who are our servers, basically.) It's all been fairly easy, straightforward work most days. Even the busiest aren't nearly as bad as the last job (fryer bitch for Rusty Bucket which is easiest described as a more upscale Friday's.) I've been full time since day 1, benefits after the first month, and I started at 12.48. The promotion gets me a new title (Senior Cook), and another $1.50 an hour, to 13.98. And holidays are double time. Triple if I spend a PLT day as well, which I was told about by a manager.

Hospitals are easy life. At least relatively small ones. We've got around 200 beds. Even cooking on the room service line isn't very stressful. Even when the orders all start coming in at once. I'm feeling good about this job. So much less stress than the last job, or the grocery store one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, are you a top? With a big dick? ;-*

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not in the hospital world. Apparently holidays are about as dead as weekends for us, and those are pretty slow. And I'll be picking up triple time for the day. Double time for holiday, then spending a PLT day for extra pay.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

Well that sucks because fresh pineapple is sooooooo good. Best part of cutting fruit trays for banquets.

Small sad related story. We had a catering thing today at the hospital for an unknown number. So there was a tray of danishes, fresh cut fruit, etc. Turns out only two people showed up for it. So...90% of it went to waste. I snagged a few pieces of the pineapple. But man, it sucks all that work went for nothing really.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

I hope someone ended up eating it because I absolutely cannot stand throwing perfectly good food away. Luckily my employer is real nice about letting us take leftovers and whatever we don't want we usually end up feeding to bar customers at our three locations one way or another. Just last week I took home over 2lbs of smoked beef and a half hotel pan of blackberry cobbler.

Some of it, yeah. I had leftover herb & ricotta crepes from my special for the day that I ended up taking home. Didn't want em to go to waste.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mezzanon posted:

Everybody in the industry enjoy your one day off today!

Unless you work in a hospital and volunteer for the shift! Sweet sweet triple time (by spending a PLT day.)

e - and in the interest of sharing then, I'm making 13.98 an hour as a Senior Cook. Making that fun low sodium food for our patients.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang, not bad. I made 41.94 an hour, and we had around 170 or so employees come through for their free holiday meal, not counting visitors or patients. (I was still up front in the bistro. After New Year's is when I shift back into my current position, since we still had to train the new people that're taking over my former position.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This x10.

What's everyone's NYE theme?

Being off the 1st through the 3rd. And working at 6am - 2:30 pm on the eve.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nuru posted:

Weird, most people in Ohio only care about OSU.

Or we just don't care at all. Thank gently caress I'm out of retail and no longer have to worry about OSU traffic.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I work in a hospital, making food for the patients. The most :smith: tickets I've seen come up are bread-y things pureed. Such as french toast and pancakes at breakfast, or pasta and grilled cheeses at lunch/dinner. I get why they need them pureed and the like, but it's still a weird concept to me.Thankfully the new company in charge is *slightly* less rigid on the recipes, so I can actually make things taste good.

The room service line is a 5 person group on the schedule, we're right at the top of the list. AM/1st shift cook (5:30 - 2), PM/Cook 3 (11:30 - 8), and me, Cook 2, which I typically have a 10:30-7 shift. Ideally we have a second Cook 2 that comes in the morning, usually 6-7 and out at 2:30-3:30. Unfortunately we're down a person, due to the former Cook 1 disappearing when she was needed.

The Cook 2 folks do most of the more labor intensive prep, 1 and 3 do the cooking on the line itself. I make the soups, gravies, sauces, proteins (that aren't burgers or chicken), and most of the sides. It's also far, far less stressful and busy than most restaurants. At our highest, we do 500ish tickets for a 150 or so bed hospital, when we're at "Status C" or (near) full capacity. On weekends or lower bed count, it tops out at 3-400 tickets for the day. Better pay too than my last few jobs. I started out making 12.48 day one, compared to the 11.30 I was at in my retail/grocery foodservice job I've talked about, or the 12 (and very much part time) I made at this chain which is a *slightly* upscale bar food kinda place.

So, there's another option for y'all trying to get out of the industry. Come join us in the medical-related world. Get good benefits, better pay (hopefully), and less stress.

This is all in addition to us also having a cafe for visitors and staff. Our kitchen is pretty loving huge. The dishroom alone is at least as big as the whole of the kitchen and pit at my last job. Those big industrial dish beasts really are pretty rad.

e - oh, and pureed cream of tomato soup. We use straight up Campbell's condensed soup. You can't puree that one, it's liquid tomato already. :v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Man and his dog posted:

What's y'all's places of employment doing for V-Day and how much of a living hell is it going to be?

No idea since I won't be there. It's my weekend off.

Plus, well, it's a hospital so we're not a romantic destination so probably nothing special. We did have some nice stuff for Fat Tuesday at least, although the hot cross buns we got in were awful and dry.

e - on the topic of repeat exposure allergies. Does anyone else get dry hands in the winter with constant changing of gloves? That's the one thing I hate about the season, other than people who can't drive properly for the weather, or just go way to slow. But that's a constant.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 12, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Hotel dude, I get treated like a human being.

Hospitals too.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whiskey Sours.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're forgetting the DRM pods, that are less harmful on the environment than leftover tortillas for the following reasons.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Am I like, the only person doing relatively well in this industry around here?

Nah, I'm doing pretty good too at my hospital gig.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

I've never seen a busy 4th. Everyone around here spends all their money on grilling and fireworks so they don't eat out.

Last year when I was still at Rusty Bucket, Father's Day was the day of hell. 15 hours straight reaming most of the day. And no break except to pee. Thank gently caress I had the 4th off, then I started my new job a few weeks later at the hospital, and poo poo's been so much easier since then.

Lesson learned, avoid chains. Though I might consider CostCo when I move down South if I can get a job/the company I work for now doesn't have anything reasonably close to where I live.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 24, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yup, one of the fancy Market District ones. I got let go for eating one piece of bacon in the kitchen, and getting snitched on by a girl who's baby daddy and one of her friends were fired for the same thing (though they were taking home boxes of food.) Then she got fired for eating a donut from the bakery, out on the sales floor.

As for where? Probably north of Atlanta, my boyfriend lives in Canton currently and he has a house. He's the fiscally responsible one. Though it's not going to be *super* soon or anything. I'm gonna move out on my own for a year or so still in the Columbus area to build up more funds and get my student loans and stuff paid down more. I have no experience with Wegmans, but I've heard many good things about CostCo, outside of the everyone starting part time.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is one of the high points, and their insurance and other various factors. And if I worked with food, it'd probably be a potential for higher raises than *just* a cashier.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slaapaav posted:

I got really drunk and started making out with the head chef tonight. Im a little bit attracted to him i guess and hes so hosed in the head that hes down with anything even though hes not really that gay.

So you're saying he Get's Down?

I got a 2% raise at work. Not super amazing, but hey, I'm making a little under 14/hr for relatively easy work. I've got no complaints about that. Aside from it being kinda boring.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

do not take out a loan to pay for culinary school.

At least mine's going decently, down to 6600 to go.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, I'm not a heavy drinker either or anything.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossposting from the BSS Newspaper Comic thread.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stay safe, fellow reprobates. Don't get hosed over to badly is the strange new terrible world.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well, I picked a terrible time to stop drinking.

I drank for you bud. Cheap moonshine + fireball. But it was tolerable. Also some Jaeger Spice straight from the bottle.

e - Agk. That was a bad idea. It needs to be mixed with something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The moonshine was fine. Not great, but tolerable. The Jaeger, ow.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not if you work at a hospital! Sweet sweet triple pay, $.68/minute.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naelyan posted:

Lost me at Heinz 57. gently caress that garbage sauce.

It's like a thick Worcestershire, I will fight you.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Recoome posted:

J/k it's good if never be a dick to fellow waitstaff, also they make great spearmint shakes

Spearmint... Shake? Explain.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

...poo poo, this is turning into a novel. And there's more to come. Am I boring y'all?

Not at all, this is what the thread needs and craves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAYhuGFa0U

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Get a sous or exec position at a place that does mostly banquet business, enjoy your upper middle class salary, and 50 hour work weeks. Also 401k, paid vacation, and cheap rates at your hotel properties.

Seriously people, work in hotels. Even when it sucks, it's better than privately owned restaurants.

Hospitals are good too in my experience so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Man and his dog posted:

Whose ready for some Easter service tomorrow !

:suicide:

Ain't nobody ordering Easter pizza. :smugdog:
I'm just loving with ya.

I'm still at the hospital. It's the weekend, so it shouldn't be bad. Which is weird because you'd think people would be visiting over the weekend. But also, assuming people go during the week to get out of work for a legit reason.

Two more months and I've got vacation coming up. I've accrued about 3-4 weeks of PLT.

• Locked thread