Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Turkeybone posted:

Also, it would take awhile for people to realize that when I say behind, I mean DONT MOVE. If I say something like "coming down," it's like because I'm holding a giant loving stockpot and I am going to run you the gently caress over.

People have the worst habit of thinking that "Behind" or "Behind giant boiling stockpot of doom" means "Turn around immediately with hands full of food/tools as quickly as possible and cross to the other side of the aisle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Even before working in the restaurant industry I always figured when checking out at a store both sides saying "Thank you" made sense. The clerk is thanking you for your business and the customer is thanking the representative of the store for providing goods/services.

But beyond that I've gotten in the habit of telling people "Enjoy" instead of bye or anything. It has become a bit of a joke that I keep accidentally telling people to enjoy it when they say they are heading to the restroom.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Another benefit of being involved in the industry: bullshitting your way into invites and free entry to vip events/tastings all the time. Free alcohol forever.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Plan Z posted:

I remember with fondness the one place at work where the FoH manager actually had pamphlets printed out to show the customers when they got riled up over meat temps to prove them wrong.

We serve breakfast. This breakfast includes eggs. I had pamphlets printed up explaining the differences between over easy/medium/well/hard. Absolute lifesaver for training staff and for the occasional cranky customer.

Speaking of cranky customers we had one today get very angry to the point of me considering inviting him to leave because the server couldn't figure out what he wanted to eat when he asked for "the one served on a crepe" while our menu is 70% crepes. He ended up ordering a salad :bang:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It seems July has finally ended! Yesterday's volume was triple anything I've seen on Tuesday in a bit over a month and a touch more than what I was averaging in June. Now to just see if this sticks/keeps growing.

Thinking about it maybe it'd have been better for this to start in 2ish weeks when we finish and switch to an updated menu.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
20 minutes after opening we had a group of 45 walk in. We seat 86. It was just me and a single cook. Of course they somehow ordered the worst possible combination of items for 2 people to make alone. Also I was taking the orders and making the espresso/blender drinks on top of cooking. Actually handled it pretty OK. Thinking I found my new line lead as well.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 23, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Naelyan posted:

I don't drink coffee.

Unforgivable, locate your nearest quality hipster coffee place and go until you realize you're wearing a flat cap and sharing an opinion on everything anyone in the place mentions.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I remember one of my early line jobs in a "southern comfort food modernized/improved" the chef left 2 weeks after I started and took the sous with him to open a food truck in some other city. The new chef they brought in introduced himself by handing out shots of rum to the line just before our first dinner turn. He handed out shots of vodka after the end of the first rush and bourbon after the second. He then proceeded to do this every big dinner night.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
All of the FoH people here are the sort to push everyone nearby past their limits and then start snorting ritalin before starting in on more drinks. Repeat until dawn. Meanwhile the cooks barely have more than a handful of beers and call it a night after 2 hours out. Also all the dishwashers are recovered addicts who never imbibe anything.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Wroughtirony posted:

You assholes have time to drink? gently caress all a y'all.

I'll tell you where the GM drinks.

Alone.

I thought the GM was supposed to get first dibs on liquoring/using up the newest/most attractive hires until they get fired when the owner decides to check the dry storage security camera feed from home and sees the GM urinating on the new busboy?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Turkeybone posted:

Alright, let's talk kitchen tattoos! They don't necessarily have to be "porkfat" on the inside of your lip, but let's see some tattoos that we psychos put on our bodies (I'm actually going to a shop today to consult about my first :3: ).

M I S E written across your knuckles is always a good choice.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Restaurant people are weird. The past week or two tiny doodles of cats saying either "Meow" or "Bark" have been popping up in the oddest places. On the backs of equipment, insides of boxes of produce, inside of paper towel dispensers, and pretty much everywhere else you'd normally not look. And now this afternoon a bunch of the night/evening crew decided to go in together on a rice cooker, a 20lb bag of rice and an assortment of soy sauces so they can have rice to eat.

I don't even know if I should have a problems with this stuff :confused:

pre-edit: They get free meals/drinks each shift already.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
CEO/owner of corporation I've been crushing my soul for just gave away the promotion/job I've been working towards to his new-never-worked-in-the-industry-has-a-degree-in-art therapy-son-in-law. :smithicide:

Anyone hiring a line cook that's spent the past year being an operations & spirits manager and barely cooked at all?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

We're hiring an outlets(restaurant & bar) supervisor. But it's in Austin, and I couldn't guarantee you the job. Kitchen's actually full for once.

Got an email to shoot at or should I just fly over on Monday? (Only half a joke)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Kenning posted:

So my roommate works as a server at the restaurant I left about 6 months ago. Last night he hosed another server, in the bathroom, on the clock, shortly after the rush broke.

I'm not sure if there's any meaningful takeaway from this story.

We can now debate which is better. Taking a poo poo on the clock or loving on the clock. At first it seems obvious but only at first.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Naelyan posted:

29.5 hours of work (couple different jobs), 2 hours of sleep, then 20 more hours of work. loving ENERGY DRINKS gently caress YEAH. I've drank more espresso in the last 24 hours than I have in the rest of my life combined.

Pro-Tip: Consume Grapefruit Juice with your caffeine and the caffeine lasts longer. Grapefruit juice stops your liver from processing the caffeine out of your bloodstream for several hours. Or something like that.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Why didn't you post this several hours earlier. I just saw this about 3 hours after hammering out a plan essentially the same as what you suggested. Could have saved me much efforts!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Oh hey. Sysco is buying out US Foods. Now that 80% of restaurants that just serve staight-off-the-catalog-crap will be even more similar to each other!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Wroughtirony posted:

My rule of thumb is that a guest never pays for something they don't enjoy. Bottles of wine being the sometimes exception, but if it's refused when the waiter pours a taste for the guest right after opening the bottle (i.e. the customer never touches it,) the wine goes behind the bar to be sold by the glass (unless it's corked, obv.) People who have "enjoyed" their entire entree or drink and then complain get offered a free dessert and a concerned "oh! I wish you had said something sooner, I would have happily gotten you something else!"

I was always pretty heavy-handed with the comps, but I also had a great record for guest service. My various bosses over the years never complained.

This is my policy and I can't believe it isn't just the standard across the industry. A sign that the majority of people in this business are incompetent I guess.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
On one hand I have a new job now with actual responsibility and work to do. On the other hand it is starting with letting 35 employees know they are now unemployed and we are closing the location they work at effective immediately. Including my roommate. drat.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Wroughtirony posted:

That is The Worst Feeling. I'm so sorry you have to do that. Just be prepared with answers to the questions people are going to ask, even if that answer is "I don't know."

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Well its done. Emails and calls went out last night and just finished meeting everyone face to face today. Now begins the minutiae of making sure every little loose string is tied up. At least I managed to land stages/interviews for the handful I felt were a cut above.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ugh. Beyond all of the big issues now my new direct boss guy wants me clean shaven and with boring hair. Maybe I'll find a job with a wine or spirits distributor. Half their reps look like extras from punk rock music videos.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm at a one of the highest end cocktail bars in this city and watching a stream of assholes complain about them not having bud light or ordering patron shots while ignoring the rather nicely put together specialty cocktail menu they've assembled just for tonight. Now I recall why I didn't miss going out on holiday/event nights.

It's just embarrassing when these rather wealthy 30 somethings act like a bunch of college kids/line cooks on payday.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 1, 2014

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I think I am going to leave my job and just work in a half-ok cafe somewhere I can just mindlessly pull shots of espresso endlessly and maybe make a batch of caramel to use for people's precious caramel soy lattes.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Liquid Communism posted:

Bad day, Fuzzy?

For.reference on slow, I turned the ovens off at 2am today. I hate January business.

Since we closed this location and I notified all the staff they were jobless my job has been to work alone in an empty and shut down restaurant to inventory and either sell or relocate to another location every item in the restaurant as well as auditing all of the orders and sales and and and and... Basically sitting in a dark restaurant (if I turn the lights on people start knocking and asking if we decided to re-open) staring at excel sheets. I'm supposed to be relocated to another restaurant or to the "about to be finished" central kitchen that they're going to start preparing in-chain their own versions of a lot of our sysco/U.S. Food's products inside of. But that's "Not until February at least". Empty restaurants really really are the bleakest thing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Well I done did it. Put in my 2 weeks notice and found myself a little cafe inside an office building to go on vacation in. Monday to Friday, 6-4, holidays off. Good hourly rate and tips.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Dear Restaurants that aren't chains: Get some loving online ordering/delivery systems setup or at least a method to take delivery orders that are paid via card. I never keep cash anymore and I want a pizza without going out in the cold. Your inability to exit the 90's is forcing me to get chain food.

Seriously though, just helped setup online ordering at my new job and it was actually stunningly simple.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I mean if delivery isn't part of your concept, great. Keep on keeping on, I'll be in to eat some time. But if you already offer delivery or if its a big part of your business, I'm looking at you really good pizza joint that I love dearly, you really need to find a way to take credit cards for delivery orders. Even if it just means me coming in once and buying a $100 gift card to use as a tab.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It depends on who takes the call apparently. Some of their staff just don't bother taking cards on the phone.... Now that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Also I opened my fat mouth at my new job on Friday and now the owner is bringing me in on her plans to open a second café in partnership with a local brewery. Damnit. But it's a really cool idea that is perfectly in line with my current intersts! poo poo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 19, 2014

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Guys... Guys! I've found it. I've found the pinnacle of Good Jobs (hourly) in this industry. Catering and Event bartender. Absolutely absurd hourly rate, 100% tips in my pocket and all of the fun of bartending with none of the drudgery of working in a bar! Between doing catering stuff on weekends and occasional nights and mindless serving espresso at a cafe I've achieved hourly-hospitality-nirvana. Hopefully my boss/owner of cafe doesn't manage to get that lease she wants for the expansion she wants me to run.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Oh, I don't work for a catering company. I'm full time at the cafe job. But I'm now the go to bartender to call in for caterings that request bar service beyond "vodka sprite". So I get my comfy hipster job that pays well and the occasional ridiculous lump sum income

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Of course comfy café job is too good to be true. First paycheck bounced. Time to start searching again. Awesome.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

mindphlux posted:

what does that even mean? the owners are knowingly stiffing you? do you go in and say like 'hey, my check bounced?'? is the place hopelessly underwater or something? Or are you saying you just aren't gonna show up and take the loss?

please go in :(

you have knives, afterall :)

Oh, yeah. I'm going in today to work my shift and ask the owner. It's actually doing rather well as a business, but the owner is having some pretty severe difficulties in her private life that are starting to interfere with things. Ideally I'll get a proper check that doesn't bounce and I'll continue working happily until I find another job where I don't have to worry about getting entangled in someone else's affairs. Or she flips her poo poo and I walk and contact the labor board. Honestly as hosed as her personal life seems to be getting I wouldn't be too surprised if she didn't handle this well either.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Just looking for a bit of validation here. I've turned down jobs at my 2 favorite hangouts for the 2nd time today because I enjoy them too much as a customer. They're both really excellent places to work that both are near the top of their respective games for this city and having astoundingly good business.

I'm not being too stupid am I?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
After narrowly affording rent and finally getting my hands on my 3 weeks pay that I worked for in January I've finally landed a full time job with a corporate hotel from a chain known for being pretty great with their employees. I'm making more money than I did as a manager of a smaller restaurant already. Also paid time off, health care, sick days and the staff I deal with are all lifers.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 12, 2014

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Lets bring back shoe chat now that someone realized my "black nonslip shoes" are actually "black nonslip combat boots" and I need to buy some.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So apparently someone caught on that I had asked for and then gotten trained in 4 different departments and was picking up shifts in all of them to work 16-18 hour days a few times a week. Didn't get in trouble actually. Got dinner bought for me and told to expect to actually be scheduled this much automatically instead of having to hunt down shifts myself. This is so weird. Since I was hired at the start of March I've had 15+ hours of overtime every week. Are hotels really this different with how they handle labor costs?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've almost entirely divorced myself from restaurants via working for a corporate hotel and asking to be trained in other departments everytime I see a job ad go up. And I couldn't be happier. I didn't even know I was unhappy before. All of the people posting about ditching food service are right and everyone with literally any other options should ditch it immediately.

Edit: if you're half competent in the industry all of your new coworkers will think you're an amazing hardworker with a work ethic the pilgrims would be jealous of while overlooking your rough edges.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have a good recording of a micros hotline printer I could use as a ring tone?

• Locked thread