Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

Turkeybone posted:

Why do you have to yell at them? Are they literally children?

I know, right? Why yell when you can mumble and then throw out all of someone's MEP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Makob posted:

I don't have much kitchen experience beyond learning from my abuelita, She made some amazing tamales that I would always help wrap for her. Since her passing I inherited the recipe. Everyone that tries them seems to really like them and I've thought about selling them but there appears to be laws against selling homemade foods in my state. I know no other restaurants sell tamales in this town, I've looked. Should I just see if I can get nearby Mexican restaurants to try them and see if they'll purchase them? Since I got a few tamale spreaders I can churn them out pretty quickly.

If your state has laws about producing food at home and selling it, then you certainly can't sell it to a restaurant-- that's actually more illegal!

What you can do is look for commissaries that rent space to small food businesses, or look for a food lab that has multiple small cooking operations. Or! If you know anyone who owns a bar with a kitchen and proper food production licensure, you can go for it there.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

I Was Minding My Own Business When You Seriously Bothered Me and Then I Flipped Out, Publicly Embarrassing Both of Us: a Tony award winning one-act play starring me and all of my coworkers.

This sums up my workday pretty accurately. I'm basically playing a giant game of emotional chicken with everyone around me included my laptop.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Kimitsu posted:

On the other hand, I'm kind of curious what it's like when cooks go drinking. The cooks at my place like me enough that they've invited me to go with them a couple of times, I've just never done it and I kind of want an idea of what it'll be like before I bite the bullet. (They are also apparently the rare kind who don't really do substance abuse, but I do work in a sushi restaurant.)

In my experience NYC cooks drink like everyone else I've ever met, just later at night and straight on till morning.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Per what we've been told by the inspectors lately, to make something we can call 'gluten free', we'd have to shut the whole place down for 3-4 hours to let the flour dust settle, clean and sanitize the bakery top to bottom including the ductwork and ceiling tiles, and -then- we could start production of gluten free items. It's not worth our time in any way.

Buy some Cup4Cup and make gluten-free products with a note that there may be trace amounts of flour in them.

My chef did a lot of research into producing gluten-free foods in a facility that uses lots of flour (we have a pretty large fresh pasta program) and came to the conclusion that gluten intolerance/allergy isn't the same as, say, a peanut allergy, where a tiny amount of peanut can kill someone. With this in mind, you can probably make a gluten free muffin or two if they're clearly marked.

All of our pastas are available gluten free, and we have special bread for gluten free guests. People cry, that's how exciting it is for them.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Invisible Ted posted:

So I've decided I'm going to be moving cities once my lease is up in 7 months, and I was wondering what goons had to say about staging. How long before being able to work in the area is it reasonable to stage in a kitchen? I'm working on a list of desired workplaces by recommendation from my chef, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting it off too late.

Where are you moving? Staging is illegal in a number of states now.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Kenning posted:

Plus, when was the last time a restaurant gave a gently caress about labor law.

Where I work labor laws are a top priority. It makes sense after you've been sued.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Admirable Gusto posted:

I spend most of my time looking at technology venture investments, but my boss has a lot of investments on the side including a piece of a restaurant chain. They're planning to expand aggressively in 2014 and need to get their operations really dialed in before they do so. So I'm digging through the financials and metrics, and working with the CFO/COO to get a handle on things.

So restaurant goons - aside from the really obvious things e.g. average check size, number of covers, etc., what would you track and optimize for if you were running a restaurant chain?

(also the average hourly wage numbers make me :gonk:)

Hourly labor, seasonal profit ranges for your area. Do they have spread hours in CA?

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

bottles and cans posted:

So I've just got my first job offer for a position outside of the service industry. For two years I've been working in a hospital's kitchen, delivering trays to patients. Five years before that, I was short-order, cooking cheesesteaks at a family-run joint.

If I take this job, I'll be working a tech support line at my university, for a business that does Networking around the Maine area. I'll be taking a ~3 dollar pay decrease and losing medical benefits. As far as cons go, that's it. In exchange, I'll be gaining experience on a career path that more closely resembles my actual long-term plans and getting a schedule that'll let me breathe while I attend college.

The hospital job hasn't challenged me in more than a year, and the corporate way it's run drives me nuts.

Still can't help but wonder if it's a big mistake, though.

How old are you?

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

Alcohol, nicotine, and 430am Fujanese food is all the drugs I need thank you very much.

You smoke????? How ghastly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

I have a desk job... In a restaurant.

reserve fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2013

• Locked thread