Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, it's one of those things like culinary school, I figure. People who don't really do the math get enchanted by the idea of working in a Michelin-starred place, and don't really think about how bloody expensive living there is.

That said :

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Line-Cook-l-New-York,-NY.html

Average salary $24k in a city where a 1-bedroom in the outskirts is going for $1500+? No way in hell.

Our rent is 1,300~ish a month, and is rent stabilised. Size is about 1,000 square feet. It's a 1 bedroom with living room, dining room, kitchen, and full bathroom. Neighbourhood is safe, and I've got the subway pretty much across the street, and two short blocks down. There's at least two liquor stores that deliver good quality wine and gin. And I'm in Manhattan. I don't know who in their right mind would spend $1,500+ to live in the outskirts.

In other news, the kitchen is cooler than my apartment. Because it's in the basement, it feels like 10 - 20 degrees cooler (in Summer) and 10 - 20 degrees warmer (in Winter). That being said, having the ovens running will heat the place up pretty drat quick. We basically knock out the heavy oven stuff early in the day. Also, because it's summer, we're switching to cold soups, cold sides, and cold pretty much anything else we can find. Also bought one of those attic fans for the prep area to suck air outside. It seriously drops the temperature down.

I got home, and had to run straight to the bedroom, because that's the only room I keep cold (because I can't get sleep if it's too hot). That said, I am pretty thankful to have an a/c that does cool down the place even when it is bloody hot out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

cods posted:

Tasting went alright. Was more of a chopped/dig through our walk in and make four courses, but I do a write up about that later when I have more time because I just got home and I have to wake up in a few because I have a follow up thing for Jr. Sous crack of dawn early somewhere else.

Need quick advice: sell soul and be sous at hotel where there is a lot if frozen poo poo and everything comes pre-portioned or Jr. Sous at new farm to table resto but for a lot less money, no bennies etc? Also tomorrow is my last service at current restaurant so whatever I decide it has to be like soon.

Take the loving hotel job. It's not selling your soul. I really wish people would stop with that attitude that making money, and having set hours, and benefits is somehow "selling out" or something. A hotel is large enough that you'll be able to do really amazing things, like take vacations, have sick days, and get health insurance. You're not going to get that at the special snowflake restaurants. At the end of the day, take care of you first.

Once you get to the hotel, and have worked there for a time, there is nothing stopping you from crunching the numbers, and showing how buying some of the items fresh, and making them from scratch will still churn out consistent product (which is what a hotel will want; their customers want to know what to expect every time, and no surprises), and will save them money in ingredients, you have the option of bringing that in.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Unless you run a restaurant with startlingly good server loyalty (most of ours end up staying at least three years) you want something you can teach to a new group of idiots in a few seconds.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Your turn to make the new thread, TB.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Plan Z posted:

I personally prefer vegans, as they're usually really grateful when you make them good food, and aren't very picky as long as it's within the basic vegan parameters.
This is so true on so many levels. I was in South Jersey with my friends this weekend. They haven't got vegan restaurants, or even vegan friendly restaurants, unless you schlep out to Atlantic city. What they DO have is a boatload of independent restaurants. Those are always easier to eat at, because they'll work with you to find something. First night was at an Italian place. The chef made us a pasta primavera without the butter or cream, and left off the parmesan cheese that they tend to sprinkle onto /everything/. The second day was at a Mexican place, where they made us these bean enchiladas, and left off the cheese. Both meals cost us each about $20, but we didn't care because the food was delicious, and we were in the middle of nowhere.

There's times when I'll go back to a meaty place because they've done right by me in the past, and I want to let them know that I appreciate it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

Ill never understand how owners reaction to an unprofitable chain is to open more locations

Seriously. If the current locations haven't got it together, it makes no freaking sense to open even more.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's okay, they just need 25 more locations before economies of scale make this profitable :)

I swear to god, if I hear one more investor who thinks s/he knows what's going on say, "But when you buy in larger quantities, your overhead will go down, right?" And I'm like "No, you dumb cuntweasel, that works on scales like Trader Joe's versus the locally owned health food store."

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Are you making GBS threads me? Of course it's not a mistake.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Splizwarf posted:

It's weird how huge the market has always been for something that tastes like/is nothing.
It reminds me eerily of Good Omens, by Gaiman & Pratchett. Famine doesn't work by cutting off the food supply. Instead, he sells these zero calories meal replacement thingies, makes billions, and people are clamouring to buy his "food" and starve to death.
------------------

And this is a review for Il Mulino, which is a place that can run you around $500 for one person's dinner. Ugh. Clearly, class cannot be bought.

dino. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 8, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

If I get you in GWSSS you're getting a light therapy box and a bottle of whiskey.

Those light therapy boxes are a GODSEND, as are full spectrum lightbulbs for the whole entire house. This season would have been utter torture without.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Liquid Communism posted:

Can I look down on it because it fucks up your sense of taste and leads to oversalting absolutely everything instead?

Sure, if it were true. I over salted my [own] food long before I smoked, even though I've got a sensitive nose that can pick out things fairly easily.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Is it because your building has weird rules about letting delivery people into the place, and that's why you have to set it up yourself? Or is it that they're annoyed at never being left a decent tip, and don't feel like going out of their way for you? Or is it something else? If it's the first scenario, it's not the fault of the caterers that the building is being a butt. Leave them a tip. If it's the second scenario, call the catering manager, apologise for past mistakes, and promise to tip in future if they'll come help set up. If it's their company policy to not go further than getting you the food, and then gently caress off, ask the catering manager what to do, and they'll lead you right.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'd say that's a good plan.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Leaving New York in another two weeks. Leaving the Industry for (god, I hope and pray) for good once that happens. Seriously. gently caress restaurants.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Last day at work was today. Finished deleting the account I used to administer the facebook page for work, and transferring admin to my boss. Just deleted my work email address. Feels good, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Worked in a restaurant for about seven years. Was literally running the place after about six months. Left making $11/hour. My last pay cheque took a month to arrive. This is AFTER being really good friends with the owner, and doing every job in that loving place for all those years. To me, a job teaching kids is a pay upgrade. It's why I'm in Florida, taking classes alongside infants.

• Locked thread