Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
How about hardened rice? Scraping it off a bowl or pot with my fingernail has, a couple times, really torn up the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Had a co-worker at my old Cheesesteak place who had a permanent red ring around a finger from when a slice of onion got wrapped around it, and wouldn't come off.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
So I've just got my first job offer for a position outside of the service industry. For two years I've been working in a hospital's kitchen, delivering trays to patients. Five years before that, I was short-order, cooking cheesesteaks at a family-run joint.

If I take this job, I'll be working a tech support line at my university, for a business that does Networking around the Maine area. I'll be taking a ~3 dollar pay decrease and losing medical benefits. As far as cons go, that's it. In exchange, I'll be gaining experience on a career path that more closely resembles my actual long-term plans and getting a schedule that'll let me breathe while I attend college.

The hospital job hasn't challenged me in more than a year, and the corporate way it's run drives me nuts.

Still can't help but wonder if it's a big mistake, though.

bottles and cans fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 29, 2013

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

reserve posted:

How old are you?

Twenty-three.

Thanks dino. :3:

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I started my new job today. A seven hour shift in an office, and I got out at 5 PM. Guys, I didn't exactly have it bad at my old job at the hospital, I was paid something like 12$ an hour ($10 base, plus evening and weekend differentials), had employer health insurance, dental, retirement fund and paid earned time off (to the order of 4 hours per week worked).

But god drat if I didn't have to squat to the floor, or lift something heavy, or scald myself with steam from the steam table or the dish-machine, or literally smell a dying person covered in poo poo a single time today.

OFFICE JOBS, YOU GUYS.

e:

I have Saturday AND Sunday off of work WHAT IS THIS

bottles and cans fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 15, 2013

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Enjoying cooking and rapidly executed detail-oriented labor therefore entering the culinary industry is like wishing Middle East could know unity in our time therefore smuggling yourself into Syria and joining ISIS.

Sure, you're gonna get a nonzero portion of what you like. You're also going to get a very very large portion of things that you won't like that are the opposite of what you want because of the culture you're entering into, and you won't be able to control that, and then you are going to die.

"No, listen dude, come in on Sunday, and we'll give you seventy-two virgin daiquiris!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I worked two, three years as a food service attendant in a hospital (not a cook, think tray assembly + tray runs).

The food was actually really good, with meals generally being either fresh fish or roasts (roast pork, roast turkey, beef tips in gravy, etc...). The downside was that it would be the same menu every week, and because food had to be made to fit all diets, ( a disproportionate amount of patients are there due to cardiac or diabetic issues, as you might expect...) they couldn't add salt or sugar of any kind to any of the dishes. This being New England, they didn't add much in the way of seasoning, either, but I'm not sure if I can chalk that up to hospital restrictions of cultural bias.

As for dumping pre-packaged food in the microwave, I can't think of any cases at all where that happened. Most meals were cooked in giant steamers, but there would at least be a minimum of prep work done in terms of slicing/portioning the meats.
That said, people on gluten free diets kind of got the shaft - since our kitchen included a full bakery, pretty much everything specially gluten free was indeed kept frozen until ordered.

Hope this helps.

• Locked thread