Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

They're adorable. One asked why so many cooks have knee problems.

Gotta get that promotion somehow! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dunno how Aloha works, but MicrOS lets us automatically append a surcharge for adds and subs.

So if someone orders a Manhattan but they want Bulleit, it adds 2.50 when you pick Bulleit. Is it possible for you to do that?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I wear Crocs. Used to wear Red Wings, but they kept splitting, and at $120/pair and only a transferable 1yr warranty, it wasn't worth it.

Crocs do look a little goofy, but my feet don't hurt after a 12hr day, so who cares.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I don't have any problem getting dried black currants. Never bothered trying to get fresh though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cooks do in fact love free food. I'm pretty sure it's half the reason we do it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Work for a hotel. The pay will be decent, and military guys are easily promotable. Hours should be fairly set, and schedules are at least weekly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

heyfresh888 posted:

I worked at Bouchon, Per Se and The French Laundry. I can go anywhere and do anything I want now I guess you could say but I'm a bit burned out. Not to mention I've really limited myself to that sort of food

I would kill for a decent cook to apply. We pay more than Michelin restaurants, you get PTO, you don't get called in on your days off, you always get your hours, and overtime if you want it. And yet all I get are goddamn kids straight out of culinary school that think they're hefs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's like a chef, but you forget the 'c'

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I just wanted to share our new catering director's menu writing skills with you all

e: Yes, that is two proteins with 3 veg, 3 sauces, and a starch.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 18, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

They're our bread and butter though. I do usually get to do my favorite menu, which is chef's choice, $60/head and we can make whatever we want.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

We want to move to the same square plates we use in the restaurant for banquets, but they're $35/ea, not counting the cost of the covers. We'd need at least 600 plates, preferably 1k. I don't see it happening. I think we'll just stick with the 11.95 steelite plates.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but the covers are about $500 for 24 since they're a special order from American Metalcraft. So it'd be like 200k for enough lids.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

More like 20k...

In my defense, that was after I finished off that bottle of bourbon.

Also, getting promoted, just not to sous. Kitchen Manager works until a sous spot opens up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Those plates look fantastic heyfresh. What's in the roll for that caesar? anchovy and parm?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

heyfresh888 posted:

Roasted romaine chiffonade, black pepper mignonette, pain de campagne, creme fraiche and horseradish. It's wrapped in a blanched leaf.

I left anchovy out of the whole thing because of how sensitive people are to it, but if I had to include it I would be anchovy powder tossed on the plate.

Clearly top them with a seared fresh anchovy. I'd be all over that, but I love anchovies.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Since the topic came up, I've heard several times that people with bar tending classes are less desirable to hire than people with no bar / serving experience. That's got to be an exaggeration, right?

Not really. I'd take no experience over no experience + bartending school. All you learn there are stupid tricks that don't belong in a real bar, and a bunch of drinks nobody orders.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Work for an Omni. Best hotel chain IMO.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Trying to explain to banquet staff what things are and aren't gluten free is such a pain. A banquet captain asked if our chips are gluten free. I tell her no, they are not because they are cooked in a fryer with items that contain gluten. She then freaks out because she already told someone that they are and that person was already eating them.

I tell these idiot servers and banquet staff that if someone is actually deathly allergic to anything, they will give you the little 'I Will Die If:' card. And they still freak out when I tell them nothing is actually gluten free in this kitchen, they're just 99% gluten free.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean communicate? Like notes for the next shift? Or literal communication throughout the day?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

We're hiring an outlets(restaurant & bar) supervisor. But it's in Austin, and I couldn't guarantee you the job. Kitchen's actually full for once.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Got an email to shoot at or should I just fly over on Monday? (Only half a joke)

If you want to apply, here's the listing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If you're going to work in this industry and aren't going to manage in the Beard/Michelin circuit, work for a luxury hotel, or get out ASAP.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I hate the holiday season. Goddamn 70 hour weeks just so random companies can spend more money than I make in a year on food alone, and I get stuck working their carving stations and putting on that fake goddamn smile and have to tell them how glad I am that they are there, having fun, while I haven't spent any time with my wife in over a week.

I really need a vacation. Or a new job.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kenning posted:

To be fair he had someone watching his section.

CdC I thought you liked your restaurant gig?

I do, we've just been short staffed for like the past 6 months, and I'm getting stretched thin. Things will get better as soon as I've got these new guys trained, and the new menu rolled out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Every cook is a masochist. Why else would we gladly work 60+ hours a week?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun.

Well yeah, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it.

There is something satisfying about being able to ignore physical pain much better than everyone else. Sometimes I don't even notice that I've burned myself until the next day.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

At least kitchen life isn't monotonous.

Now to drink all the beer because.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dimloep posted:

And now we do the dance of slow-as-gently caress holiday week. Nine days off. I might go mad.

I will also trade you. It's a slow week, I'll still probably work 50hrs, then the holiday party binge begins.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ghost peppers cure sinus infections, I think I'm onto something here.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thanksgiving photo dump.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why can't my doctor just give me more drugs for my muscle spasms instead of sending me to physical therapy? I don't have time for that, I have to work!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Huzzah! Flexeril. My new doctor is the best doctor, and I am so glad he was a cook when he was younger, so that when I tell him something hurts, he actually gets that it hurts and doesn't tell me to just work out more for the back pain.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've been taking flexeril for the past 6 months, doctor just didn't want to renew the scrip because ~addiction~. So he put me on nabumetone and I woke up at 3am on the 3rd day and had some kind of mild heart attack as one of the unlikely, but serious side effects.

New doc can't see any reason as to why I have muscle spasms, I'm in good physical shape, all of my X-rays look fine, etc.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo, be careful with that Flexeril... my GF could barely walk upright when she was on that.

YAY, the hard part!

Selling the work is often harder then doing the work, in part because you often figure out most of what you need do during the sales process. I've been both a one-man-shop and an agency employee, and when you are by yourself, selling and doing all the work simultaneously is a difficult balance.

I have a ridiculous tolerance for narcotics for some reason. 10mg of flexeril knocks everyone I know out, all it does for me is stop the muscle spasms.

Also, my back just got manhandled by a doctor and now I feel like I'm 16 again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

O' LORD, grant me the serenity to avoid cussing the gently caress out of the well-coiffed turk who asked for his complimentary guest platter eleven hours into a tweleve hour shift thats nothin but weeds.

The courage to keep on truckin with the stream of intense Anglo-Saxon prose long after its clear he can hear every word my coworker and I are saying.

And the wisdom to hand that fucker off in a timely fashion anyway with a straight face and solemn nod.

Word.

We have an Apple corporate party next weekend. 2100 people, they've rented out the entire hotel, it's going to be a minimum 100k in F&B revenue, probably double that.

We aren't getting any temp cooks, still shorthanded by 2 cooks, and it'll be cake. My kitchen is a goddamn beast. :woop:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh poo poo I think he's serious, folks.

Word, again.

And if I don't get this banquet sous promotion, I will not be a pleasant person. :chef:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

So how can I get you a bottle of booze on Saturday? Sort of a I love your posts and sorry I was part of the locust swarm gift?

Are you going to be at that party? Because that's pretty cool, and I'm honestly excited to cook for 2000 with a small team.

e: This past weekend was much worse, total of 950 on Saturday, 5 different menus, all parties went out at 7PM. And the Apple party of 320 was being bottlenecked by their people taking forever to hand out drink tickets and nametags. So most people weren't actually hitting the pasta bar and carving stations until 8 to 8:30. Everything was supposed to get pulled at 9 so we could send out the late night snacks at 10, but it was more of a quick flip at 9:30.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

Yes, I'll be there & staying the night at the hotel. I have been looking forward to your Sunday Brunch for a while now, and finally have an excuse to sleep in and wander downstairs to eat it =)

Bad news for you, we're currently renovating the restaurant. No brunch until after Christmas :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

:stonk: Well, at least I didn't find out day of. Anywhere else downtown you care to recommend?

You can still get breakfast/lunch in the bar. Just won't have the buffet open. Other than that, your best options are the other hotels. Not many places open for breakfast downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Ugh. Living with someone in NY would save me like $500-600 a month. The downside, of course, is:

"* No allowed to cook- yuo need to help keeping de pleace clean
* You can use the toaster, microwave and wash dishes
* Please no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no pets
* Pay rent on time is very important
* One mount rent + one mouth deposit to move in "

Room with a cook, obviously.

• Locked thread