Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

Wroughtirony posted:

having fun so far. Tomorrow I learn how to deal with the big, scary BOH. LOL

So how do you plan to present yourself to the kitchen? Are they the type of crew who will give you backlash for jumping over to FOH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Anyone coming in to Portland this week for feast Portland?

My chef is participating in seven events during it and it should be a killer business week. Then she dropped some catering gigs on us too for the week. I am not sure our kitchen is going to make it out alive without the two lead line cooks disfiguring each other.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

Kenning posted:

So I twisted the gently caress out of my ankle last night (not at work, unfortunately) but I don't think I'll be able to serve for a little while. Anybody have experience with sort of stop-gap income programs like temporary disability or whatever? This sucks.

I have used short term disability insurance for a month from aflac, and it paid out pretty quickly. It depends on your coverage, but I got 90% of my wages, and since I claimed all my tips, that was included as well

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Last night I got word from my GM that the chef and her husband are expecting an invite to the holiday party I am hosting next week. I really don't want to invite her, because none of the staff particularly enjoys her company and it was a chance for us all to get drunk and bag on work for a moment. Normally I would just send an email explaining that this is for the hourly crew at a dive bar, but she has a bad reputation of taking it out on people who don't invite her to things. Also, she just gave me a raise and complimented my work (which is another rarity) and I don't want to jeopardize me being in her good graces for once.

Any advice on how to invite the boss but not actually invite her?

Edit: Crisis averted, I sent an email inviting her, and she declined!

Cercies fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Good luck to everyone tonight. May you not go off on a murderous rage over some drunk rear end ruining your night. Especially to those in an open kitchen, where customers can walk up and take your mise.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

bowmore posted:

Baked eggs.

Our baked egg dish is two eggs baked in a house made tomato sauce, with oil cured olives and house cured bacon. During lunch we serve it with toasted baguette.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Chef is sorta famous, was on Top Chef and seems to have the ego to match. This should be interesting...

Good luck with that, my chef was just on Top Chef Masters and has been insufferable since.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

Wroughtirony posted:

Sounds like you need to change the rule to NOBODY TOUCHES MY KNIVES.

I sadly put my fiancee on this system. I at least bought her a block of knives from goodwill though for her own abuse.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
What is the minimum you all would take a salary position for in your restaurants?

I just got offered $27,500 at my job to move to salary and I said that is way too low to work the 60+ hours a week. My chef is trying to trade on her b-list star chef credentials to underpay on the position. They laughed at me and said I wanted too much at $30,000. I said I will just stay at hourly, and I already have a position with one of the top rated restaurants in the country next door that I will move in to in two months after I finish up my culinary degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
My Keens have lasted me a year, and they are starting to break apart. On average I am wearing them in kitchens about 80 hours a week though, and they have been super comfortable.

Downside: $115

• Locked thread