Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
We have drains in our kitchen! I mean, they're half clogged and the whole kitchen smells like fresh dog poo poo if you push any real amount of water into them, but they're technically drains...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Went to work today, for the slowest boringest night in a long time. I think I fed 12 people total.

Following that, I came home to find my roommates gun safe had been broken into and emptied out. Nothing else was stolen, not even the hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment that had to be moved before you could even open the gun safe.

I'm not sure if there's a point to that story, except maybe another reason to hate boring nights. It just sucked really badly and I wanted to share.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Cryptozoology posted:

drinking with cooks owns i hope that this helps you

He does not lie. Cooks drink like there is no tomorrow. You should have seen our last Christmas party. The owner stupidly decided it would have an open bar. Two hours in, only cooks were left, and between us we proceeded to try at least one drink of everything in the house. I'm pretty sure between three cooks we cost (not would have spent, but actually cost) the owners about $400 in liquor. And that's only because we're in a hick town and don't stock really expensive poo poo.

Fake edit: that said, no cook I've drank with is the would give you poo poo for not keeping up. Most of us seem to be of the "know your limit and you're ok" variety, not "drink as much as me or you suck" variety.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 2, 2013

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

brick cow posted:

I've only ever lost flesh and blood and required stitches doing prep work while I was sober. Never once cut myself while inebriated. I'm pretty sure there no lesson you need to take about prepping from that but it's true.

Now that I think back, that's true for me too. Plenty of nasty cuts/burns/etc sober, but I can't recall any actual damage while/after drinking.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tonight a waitress came back and asked for a knife to cut a cake for a birthday party we had in. I was on break (read, spending five minutes standing outside to calm down, tonight was hosed. Half the shift was late, and half the previous shift left early). The only person on the line handed over one of my knives, because why loving not? It comes back and the waitress tosses it into the silverware bus tub without telling anyone. If the dishwasher hadn't gotten incredibly lucky and happened to grab the handle...

The worst part is the same waitress did the same loving thing a month ago, and I tore her a new one for both borrowing a personal knife (we have a ton of shop knives), and for throwing the loving thing into the dish pit. I'm not sure if she's too stupid to learn, or just doesn't care if other people have fingers. Or both. I'm leaning towards both.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I got lucky. My roommate is happy with one of my nice knives. He just kind of picked out his own favorite from my nice things and it stays in the kitchen. I've only seen it in the sink a couple times over the last year, it's usually cleaned after every use, so I don't bitch. For the most part my other knives get locked up at work (we have lockers) when I'm not using them. I consider the extra wear on my knife part of my rent, since I pay basically nothing.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ulmont posted:

So what if you have flat feet?

I have flat feet and I bought a pair of red wings (the ones I got are more boot than shoe, but nobody seems to mind). They were the most incredibly uncomfortable shoes I'd ever worn for a couple weeks, and then they became amazing. I love them now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

'Free time?' I do not understand this thing you speak of. Is it like sleep?

I'm pretty sure free time is one of those things that fantasy creatures of the forest have. It's certainly not something I've run into.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

The owner of my restaurant is giving me $100 to quit drinking and energy drinks for a month, in what I can only assume is some sort of weird incentivized torture plan. I'm giving it a shot, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate every minute.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

If your drinking registers on your boss's radar at all then, yeah, that's a thing.

energy drinks though?

What, are you like, stealing them? Drinking them from the can over food prep areas? Using them as a hangover crutch? Wha?

Actually, my boss overheard me saying I was thinking about taking a break from drinking and decided to support me, it wasn't like a last ditch plan to reign me in. As for the energy drinks, the owners have decided they're about the unhealthiest thing you can consume, and have told me on more than one occasion that I was killing myself by drinking them at all. So they got lumped in to the cash reward.

I'm not really upset, I tried to use the phrase "incentivized torture plan" to communicate that, but I forgot this was the internet, where people can and do complain vocally about every thing, so you had every reason to assume I was completely serious.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Uncle Lizard posted:

I really like it when they make you do inventory, but they act like it's a treat for you. Like its some sort of promotion, without a pay increase or title. "We're going to LET you do inventory today".

My favorite so far (that's happened to me) was "We're going to "Let" you lock up the restaurant tonight." At first it made me happy with the show of trust, then I realized it was because the owners didn't want to be there anymore and they didn't think I'd steal anything.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

The question is, is it gluten-free too?

The other night I had a server come back and tell me a customer wanted a gluten free ribeye. He was checking to make sure we could do that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Radio Help posted:

Edit: shouldn't the thread title say "There's Very Little Meat in These Floor Mats"?
cuz that'd be gross

Nope, it's a Simpsons quote.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

pile of brown posted:

In more than 10 years working in this industry, always in places w cameras on the staff other than one place where the owner was weird and watched feeds from his home office on a laptop, the only times I've seen footage actually pulled from them were a) a sexual harassment complaint, b)a pretty major theft, and c)a fistfight in the kitchen.

The more hours you're open each day the less chance anyone will ever watch that footage, just don't give them any reason to.

The owners at my restaurant watches the feeds from our kitchen constantly. For awhile it got so bad he'd call if he saw an employee leaving the building with food, to make sure they'd paid for it. It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd been having problems with loss, but it was all preemptive.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tonight I was yelled at, and the radio was removed from the kitchen, because I failed to anticipate a song chef not liking coming on to the radio, and therefor did not change the station before he had to hear it.

It wasn't even an offensive song or station, it was just oldies rock, but they move a little into the 90s from time to time I guess. Not 20 minutes before that he was singing along to the music, on the same channel.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread