Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Always ask new hostesses to run across the parking lot to the next restaurant and get "Ice Mix" because the ice machine is running low. Never failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Garregus posted:

I really wish I had a kitchen with drains so I could powerwash

hahaha, drains? Start mopping buddy, gotta push that water outside somehow!

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Wroughtirony posted:

show up sober and showered

When is the best time to ask your manager for a Saturday off?

C. Two weeks ahead of time, written on the back of a receipt you handed to the night manager.

Today's goal: No yelling

I can't make any promises.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

At my last job we got kicked out of the place where we were holding our holiday party because everyone's secret Santa gift was booze and it as well did not make it out of the party.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

So a month and a half ago I quit my job at a fairly popular Canadian chain restaurant(as a bartender) because the new owners were running it into the ground and cutting my hours. I made the mistake of not having anything lined up afterwards and so I'm just now going for my second interview at a combined bar/restaurant/pool hall/bowling alley and I'm just hoping for the best at this point. My main point behind this whole paragraph, don't try and find a job in Southwest Ontario right now. They're nearly none existent.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Naelyan posted:

I dunno man, I've had a few people who do hiring come to me lately asking if I know anyone looking for a FOH position in KW/Cambridge/Guelph. All the university towns should be busy as poo poo and all the lovely part time students that they hired that aren't working out are either quitting or getting fired at the end of this month. If the place you're interviewing with doesn't work out, try every place within walking distance of a university and if you can show you can handle volume, you should have no issues getting a job.

I live in London and like 2 minutes from Western. It's becoming easier now, since I wrote that post, I've had the second interview and two jobs call me for resumes I must have dropped off nearly a month ago. It's going to suck having missed the first rush of university/college kids with money they shouldn't be blowing but as long as I have something secure I'll be happy :)

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

madisonbleek posted:

I have a question, as somebody who has a few years of experience in the restaurant industry but is still not very good at finding work:
How is it that I would be able to find that these jobs are available? Apart from this thread, i mean. I ended up finding work, but for several months of this year I was looking for something exactly like these you have available: 30 hrs/week line cook, 25 hrs/week busser, etc. I was kind of clueless about the process -- I looked on craigslist all the time, wandered in to restaurants, but I always got a standard line "We're always accepting applications, we'll call you if there's a fit." As somebody with decent qualification and being a pretty good worker, how could I increase my chances of finding job openings like this?

It is honestly all about knowing someone. I've yet to receive a job where I didn't have some connection to the person who was hiring me. Or just be superman, that helps too.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

I work at a combination bar/restaurant/bowling alley/pool hall/arcade/ping pong/laser tag place. We book A LOT of Christmas/holiday parties starting pretty much right now. We have one kitchen and one bar. It gets crazy. 9-10 hour nights are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

In Canada, it's pretty much an expectation that you tip out the BOH after every shift. The places I've worked the general idea is tipping out 1-2% of your sales.

• Locked thread