Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm in a similar situation i.e. I work as a waiter/dishwasher at a small place but want into the kitchen. The current chef loves me and I get to help him doing grunt work from time to time but it isn't enough to get any substantial experience and I'm still employed as a waiter. I'll be moving to a different city come autumn and I want to start in the kitchen but I feel like I lack the necessary experience. I'm picking up Larousse Gastronomique to learn some techniques but are there anything else I could do?

TLDR: I work as a waiter but love working in the kitchen, how do I get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

See if you can pick up some shifts as a prep cook. If you've got basic knife skills (practice at home) and can show up, follow directions, and work hard, it shouldn't be too hard to swing it into line cooking up the road.

That said, be aware you'll probably lose a significant amount of pay going FOH to BOH due to not taking tips.

I'm asking a whole bunch of questions (as I'm legitimately curious) and the times when I helped our chef (i.e. cutting poo poo for 12 hours straight) he loved me and said he needed me more.

That said it seems my problem is that the restaurant I'm working at is too small for this kind of movement, and we usually only have one guy in the kitchen (except those times where I had to step in and help). I'll look for a bigger place with more opportunities when I move.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Longtiem posted:

Serving in NYC: ask me about my other penthouse

Is the difference really that big?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tweek posted:

With RedWings, you can wear one pair as your 'dress' show when you need to be fancy. When it wears out to much to look alright paired with black slacks and a suitjacket, they become your kitchen shoes and you buy a new pair to be your dress shoes.

Even if you lose your income, you still have at least an extra year's kitchen shoe on backup.

These shoes are awesome, and they look good too (better/more discreet than Red Wings imo).

• Locked thread