Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I've spent the last two nights filling in for a dishwasher who up and quit. The Executive chef has been more than appreciative, the GM has thanked me with a $25 visa gift card yet I don't think it is that big of a deal.

I am still getting paid either way, work is work to me. It's hot as hell and my back is loving killing me. I keep a smile and just stay pleasant. They are promising me a job/training to get on the line (I work at a country club at the halfway house at the moment) and love my work ethic.

I'm definitely doing this to get my experience, to see if I really want to go this route. They throw me hours when there are banquets or big events, I told them I'd just sweep and cut veggies to get in the kitchen. I just hope they aren't blowing smoke and will let me go soon (I am rather cynical and jaded after 5 years in the military)

My only gripe so far is when I was getting slammed with dishes yet the line was dead, nobody lifted a finger to help put away the clean stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Boatswain posted:

I'm in a similar situation i.e. I work as a waiter/dishwasher at a small place but want into the kitchen. The current chef loves me and I get to help him doing grunt work from time to time but it isn't enough to get any substantial experience and I'm still employed as a waiter. I'll be moving to a different city come autumn and I want to start in the kitchen but I feel like I lack the necessary experience. I'm picking up Larousse Gastronomique to learn some techniques but are there anything else I could do?

TLDR: I work as a waiter but love working in the kitchen, how do I get there?

For me, I ask a ton of questions. Borderline inquisitive toddler style but not to the point of annoying (I hope). My last evaluation had specifically "Is VERY eager to learn and would love to have him as a banquet cook". Any chance you get, be it cutting vegetables to helping plate hors dovures, ask.

Just this week chef wanted me to work the outside grill station for a weekly event. Nothing special, I would be grilling NY strip and ribeye to order and general bullshitting with the guests. I asked about identifying cuts of meat, grilling techniques,ect. Turns out the grill was broken so we had to cancel. Still lead to me getting to help out in the kitchen and when I volunteered to cover for the MIA dishwasher.

Do your research. I cooked in the Navy, so I know my way around the kitchen and BASIC (in the loosest sense) culinary techniques. Look up a random recipe and make it on your day off. Watch an episode of good eats every now and then, google stuff.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Glad to help some. Got out late tonight, dishwasher broke down while I was a few loads short of being done. Thankfully my Navy days of having a similar machine on board helped, but I ghetto rigged it back together and finished.

That and I had two hydroxicut, a percocet and a 24oz Monster in my system. After these last three days I have the utmost respect for the lowest rung on the culinary ladder. I always tried to help the dish guys out when I could, but didnt realize just how bad it could be. Something as simple as how a cook puts a dish in the pit matters, toss a saute pan at me like Im not even there ?! Ill resent your rear end. Scrape out as much as you can from a 4 inch hotel pan, bang that fucker a few times and place it neatly, Ill make sure you get it back drat near brand new.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Exec chef put in his 2 weeks today.
Sous chef loving loves me.

I worked our Garde Manger station and have learned it. Worked our morning prep cook/pantry spot and learned it.

I am stuck in Banquet hell at $8.50 an hour. I love working there but hate the pay.

• Locked thread