Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wrought I think that has to be some sort of record for you. Congratulations! Time for a new thread? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jesus Christ, it's like Portlandia in real life. loving tilapia?! Who gives a flying gently caress when you're talking about one of the most worthless pieces of fish. That's like asking for the source of your fried cube steak at a diner.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love the idea that everyone should be forced to work as a server so they know what it's like. It'd result in a much better working environment and prevent people treating their servers like poo poo as happens so often.

I also think it's a good idea for everyone to party with restaurant workers at least a couple times. Having worked in restaurants (FOH, but hung out with BOH staff as well), honestly no one else compares. You take your average Joe who thinks he knows a guy who parties too much, and you give him one night out with restaurant workers. He would be shocked...no...HORRIFIED at what he experiences. No one else does it better. When a girl I worked with snorted a line of coke so she could keep drinking to keep up with her line cook alcoholic boyfriend despite it being 4am and them needing to be in to work at 10, I knew I'd found good people.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

Yikes. The only knife I have of my own is a bread knife, so it looks like I'll have to do some scrounging/borrowing. It'll take a few days for my coat to get up here from my ma's so I've got some time to put everything together.

I think the main reason I wanted to bring something in was more to show it's something I care a lot about--one of my biggest motivations in pursuing this is just learning more stuff to improve my craft.

Thanks again for the advice, dudes and dudettes. It's nice feeling optimistic again.

Bring your bread knife, and a large spoon. Maybe a warped cutting board. It shows that even though you're not that well-equipped, you have a can-do attitude and are willing to give it your best!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hip Hoptimus Prime, I know nothing about the military but I just want to express my condolences to you for being a teacher in NC. A good friend of mine taught elementary school here for 5 years and had to stop doing it because her stress level was through the roof, and she made poo poo for pay. She also abandoned her Master's due to the elimination of the extra pay for the advanced degree. Luckily I was able to help get her a full time job at the company I work for, despite her having no experience in this field. She even makes more money now, entry-level, than she did teaching.

Hang in there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony is dead. Long live Wroughtirony!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Quoting this for truth. If your current locations aren't profitable after overhead, adding -more overhead- is not going to change that.

This is like trying to save a romantic relationship by having a child. Not gonna end well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Plan Z posted:

The food truck's done for the season now, and we somehow posted great profits trying to serve authentic Mexican food in rural PA. It's a boost, but now I have to find an off-season job. I'm thinking of either hitting up a temp agency, or just taking a season off with some old inheritance money I kept stashed away.

I'd recommend trying to find something. Better to have that old inheritance money when you need it, than spend it for no good reason.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, wait, if you get a non-kitchen job, is it still a new thread?

Are you kidding me? Can you imagine Wrought in corporate America? It'd be like every single trainwreck thread all rolled into one (no offense Wrought). Consider my interest piqued.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Black August posted:

I know. I was just really eager to finally be a server and make a liveable wage, and now I'm in a red hot panic since I have no money left after this month, and still no other job prospects after all the resumes and calls made so far. I've only been assigned to work 3 days this week, one of which is NOT Thanksgiving, so I'll miss out on those tips -- it's already become obvious the owner is trying to phase out people he doesn't like, the same is happening to other servers and not just me. Now I'm worried nobody else is going to hire during the holiday times, so I'm just completely lost and upset. I never thought I'd be employed and STILL at risk of becoming homeless.

I'm not sure about the situation at your place being that it sounds like the owner may have it out for you, but from personal experience I've found that it's pretty easy to pick up shifts from other servers who'd prefer to have the time off on/around Thanksgiving (and most other holidays). You should ask around or post a note on the schedule offering to pick up anyone's shifts who's interested in giving them to you. At least it'd help keep you off the streets for a while...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

Consulting crossed my mind but I dismissed it thinking I was underqualified- I've never been Exec at any place larger than a 35-foot schooner. I might revisit that at some point.

The current Great Idea is to go to school to be a radiologic technician. Pay is good, the course is 18 months and there's room for upward mobility. Health care is a growing field so getting a job would be fairly easy, and I'd still be interacting with "guests" and not sitting down very much. And I would get to wear a very comfortable uniform. I think this one might be a winner. Office work is not going to work out for me unless I wake up one day and find I suddenly enjoy it. Also, I can get tuition assistance from the Army since it's considered a "portable career" and doesn't require a Bachelors. (Military spouses can't get tuition assistance for anything above an Associates. Yeah. I know.) I'd only have to take out a couple grand in student loans.

Next step is more research and finding the downsides.

Why not join the military so you're always with your husband, can't get fired (even YOU couldn't screw that one up [I kid because I love]), will get some on-the-job skills for whatever employment path you follow, AND get GI Bill money? It's win-win-win-win!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My brother works 3rd shift as a corrections officer and has a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Every time he sends me a picture he has this haunted look in his eyes, I'd have killed myself long ago.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cercies posted:

Last night I got word from my GM that the chef and her husband are expecting an invite to the holiday party I am hosting next week. I really don't want to invite her, because none of the staff particularly enjoys her company and it was a chance for us all to get drunk and bag on work for a moment. Normally I would just send an email explaining that this is for the hourly crew at a dive bar, but she has a bad reputation of taking it out on people who don't invite her to things. Also, she just gave me a raise and complimented my work (which is another rarity) and I don't want to jeopardize me being in her good graces for once.

Any advice on how to invite the boss but not actually invite her?

Invite her, but schedule her arrival time two hours after the party actually starts.

1) You and your crew will be able to poo poo-talk her for two hours
2) Chef doesn't feel spurned and take it out on you or anyone else
3) By the time she gets there people will be feeling pretty good and either enjoy/tolerate her company or say something completely inappropriate and cause a scene. Both of these options are acceptable

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

It is your fault. You did your best which clearly wasn't enough. I mean what type of restaurant gets shut down even while making a profit?? That means that ownership was just unhappy with management, including you. They probably decided to keep you due to lack of legal grounds to fire you, even though they can lay off the rest of the staff due to the restaurant closing. If I were you, I'd just begin a bender and keep drinking until your liver quits.

(I am totally kidding, Wrought is right, you are blameless. Merry Christmas!!)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Don't quit right away, and don't put in your two weeks without another job lined up. It may suck in the short term, but you don't want to screw yourself over longer term because of the situation. If you've been working under some talented chefs and have some marketable skills, you shouldn't have a problem finding another job in your line of work. Start looking now. Don't burn your bridges with your current place just yet, but you don't owe them a single loving thing either - if their business acumen (or lack thereof) is causing the place to crash and burn, it may be time for you to look elsewhere anyway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

What the gently caress do they teach these loving people in culinary school these days?

I spent fifteen minutes trying to get my hand to stop bleeding tonight at work. Ended up resorting to just walking around swearing with it elevated and under pressure, and then supergluing a skin flap down on my knuckle. How'd I cut it?

Our newest baker, who just finished her degree at Johnson & Wales in CO, apparently doesn't have the sense god gave little green apples. Not only did she decide to use one of the store's paring knives to open loving boxes of butter, she left that cocksucker in the fridge. So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

I wish to do murder right now.

That sounds less like a lack of education and more like a dangerous lack of common sense. Luckily those people tend to weed themselves out pretty quickly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Black August posted:

What hosed up reality do they live in where that's a liveable wage?

But don't you see, s/he should be grateful for the opportunity coming from the Job Creator making the offer. $30,000 would be a princely sum!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Simoom posted:

Hello industry thread. I don't know where to post this or who to ask. After years of working in crummy diners I got bored and applied to a bunch of places and a very very very upscale small french place really liked my interview. They want me to come in next week for a trial run and have already said they do not expect me to know anything, as my resume shows I clearly do not have the knowledge for this level of fine dining. They said it was cool and would be willing to teach me from the ground up if "the week goes well" because I seem to have the drive for it and have proven in my years of diner work that I most certainly can stand for eleven hours at a stretch.

I have never worked in a fine kitchen and have never even touched half of these ingredients. I've honestly never even seen a few of them and had to google when I got home. Does anyone with experience higher than kitchen manager in a greasy spoon [my peak so far] know what they'll be looking for specifically? Other than ability to pay attention. Should I ask lots of questions? Am I overthinking this?

Yes, you're overthinking it. Obviously they liked the cut of your jib and are giving you a shot, with eyes wide open regarding your lack of fine dining experience. All you need to do is maintain that go-getter attitude that got you the spot to begin with. Yes, ask lots of questions. They know you don't know poo poo - if you're not asking questions, they're going to wonder why.

Also, congrats!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CommonShore posted:

I have seen so many places tank on that whole "Make it up on the drinks" approach. It's just a way to shoot yourself in the loving foot because either a) you're making yourself work for no pay by selling something that costs you money to serve, b) you'll have to change/remove the dish before long and the people who were coming for that dish will stop coming (not that they were helping you keep your doors open anyway). Every six months or so my neighbourhood seems to have some bar and grill open with insanely underpriced food for the a while and soon goes to poo poo.

This Mexican place opened in a high-end shopping mall near my workplace. They had a soft open in April of 2012. To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, they offered their entire menu for $5, regardless of the dish...for the entire month of May. Guess who went out of business shortly afterward?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steritech is loving insane. We'd be due for a visit and would basically spend just as much time after close scrubbing down every single surface/cambro/knife/you name it as we would actually serving customers when we were open. A couple times I ended up staying until early morning because my manager was so anal about it. Rightfully so, since we never got a perfect score, which he was desperately hoping for.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Second is a pork belly banh mi. When selling to the masses I can make a pretty drat good simple one with traditional flavors, but I'm curious as to if anyone has experimented with non traditional flavor profiles and how successful they were.

You should do a banh mi "double down". Slice of pork belly at the bottom. Next comes a layer of cilantro and shredded carrot. In the middle of the sandwich is a slice of baguette with a thick smear of pate spread on the bottom and a light spread of mayo on the top. On top of that is cucumber and jalapeno slices. Topped by another slice of pork belly.

I'm only half kidding.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Little bit of schadenfreude tonight. I happened to drive by my old bakery, and they're still closed since June. Sign up on the door that they'd reopen in late July after some remodeling, and the place is a mess of half-finished construction.

Delivery van's gone, nobody doing doing the overnight baking for morning deliveries. Guess the overnight breakfast business that I spent two years with a single break longer than 36 hours running fell apart after I left. Can't say as I'm too sorry, the pay sucked and when it started showing up late I hit the door.

Glad you got out when you did. Your liver is probably in a much better place now.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Your posts are fun to read because it's like you wrote the post, popped it into Google Translate to a foreign language, then translated THAT back to English.

Yeah, get the gently caress out of there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Simoom posted:

I'm not qualified to work for the government to get my foot in the door there, nor am I competent enough to stage any acts of mass violence! I meant that the chef in question was really emotional and loud and it causes stress- all of my friends told me to leave, as did posters in this very thread! I think it was right to do, but compared to not getting paid proper, seeing people take food from the garbage to serve on the plate and getting dicked around for three or four interviews I found working with him this weekend to be very pleasant and invigorating and I sort of miss him in an odd way!

That's called Stockholm syndrome

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ascendance posted:

Agreed.

So why are restaurant onions so much less stinky? They just soak the onions for a bit?

My guess would be that since the onions are prepped before service, and are probably sitting already sliced for a while, that enough time goes by for the most volatile compounds to evaporate as opposed to using freshly-cut onions when you're preparing them at home and using them immediately.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

colbamf posted:

I work as a shift lead at a hot sandwich shop chain. Another of the SL's, who was on tap to be the GM within a couple months, just put in his notice to be 49% owner of a food truck and wants me to work for him. I'd get more money and have no corporate bullshit to deal with...but since we're in a college town they completely close for a couple months when the kids are gone in the Winter. Am I making the wrong choice taking him up on it?

Edit: There's a non-compete clause, so doing both isn't an option.

Edit 2: I would also be giving up benefits, bonuses, and my GM is very good at her job and one of the nicest people I know.

Don't do it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

Hi thread.

Just finished our company wide winter vacation, nobody has really started working yet. Come work in the wine biz, this is ridic.

You're not nearly as fun when you're not miserable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A crazy person posted:

2) how do you expect local residents to become familiar with the place? Haphazzardly stumble across it online and proactively "plan" to make a reservation when they've never tasted your food before and must just "HOPE" that it's good???

Yes. That is how making a reservation works, whether you've been to a place or not.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Secret Spoon posted:

We do about 80lbs at once? Im kind of guessing. We would make about 240 lbs every Friday, and if memory serves we only had to do 3 batches.

E: its been over 6 months since I worked back of house, so it is anyone's guess. Chef did a tasting and saw a cig butt and was like what the gently caress. After some digging and a lot of finger pointing from the sous later, they figured it out.

I get that's lovely and all, and regrettable, but is it really a fireable offense? I mean if the dude realized he dropped his cigarettes into the mixer and didn't say anything, that's one thing, and if he did it maliciously, that's another, but what if it was just an honest mistake and he didn't realize it? It's not like 80 lbs of potatoes are that terribly expensive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

When I was still in the business, our wine rep got fired from the distributor and promptly showed up at my restaurant and trashed them as hard as he could. Then immediately segued into why we should move our portfolio to his new employer because the quality is much higher. I don't understand how anyone thinks that's a smart way to win an account, even if they were an existing customer.

In my experience, sales people in general aren't in their field for their smarts.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

The event will also feature live DJs and local designers selling non-brodo goods.

Who the gently caress would want non-brodo goods? Get the gently caress out of here.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Man and his dog posted:

To clarify all of this I have worked with this guy for like 8 years. Are GM is leaving and the HC is now becoming GM and he is going on some loving power trip.....

No one cares

It is basically impossible to get 100% in NC

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What a load of poo poo. You think 100 is difficult in NC? Try loving Steritech. We'd get lambasted if we got any LESS than 100 (and frequently scored higher) on the standard health inspection.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm also the one with a criminal record that will always get passed over for someone without a criminal record..... So yes I stick to my poo poo job making $35k a year where I can do what I want and smoke weed all day and live on the beach.... I mean Damnnnmmmn life's rough.

Lol "oh my god this place got a 97 not a 100 honey we can't eat here"

$35k?! Truly living the life.

Really, stop while you're behind.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have been fighting and fighting it but I believe I am surrendering. I guess the people can have a loving fried egg on god damned everything if they want. But I'm charging 2 dollars for 1 God damned egg because I hate you.

Ugh.

Make that money!

Out of curiosity, why are you so hesitant to offer it as an add-on to dishes? Good on you for making it $2/egg anyway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I need to find out as we'll so when go on my next NYC trip i can haven mutiple food allergies and demand food created with ingredients I brought myself.

...topped with a fried egg.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

.... a local bakery just started advertising for bakers at up to $20.

I know better than to do this.

Going over there to have a chat with the owner and scope the place out later.

Don't do it you idiot!!! You're one of the ones who got out!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CommonShore posted:

What story is this?

Wroughtirony posted:

I've gotten a few allergy cards as a server. I like them because I'm a little more comfortable handing them over to the chef, though with severe allergies and simple dishes I would usually just make it myself on separate pans. Because I was the Best Waitress Ever, As a chef, I've had one guy with allergies so multiple and severe that he actually went shopping with me (private dining setting, not restaurant) and we went over all my recipes to see what he could eat and what I could alter. He spent a lot of time in the galley chopping veggies and keeping an eye on me, but he was good at prep and I was good at not poisoning him so it worked it. What did not work out was the guy who was "allergic" to salt. He was traveling with his daughter who had a huge list of everything he couldn't have and she was INSISTENT that he have full options to eat at every meal with limited special options just for him. So the whole boat got baked goods with no salt that cruise (because even 1/4 tsp over a batch of cookies would basically kill him.) Fine, I'll do that for someone with a legit disorder. Until we get to the lobster bake and I see this guy with a plate containing two lobsters and a cob of corn. I run after him screaming bloody murder because a single bite of what was on his plate would surely kill him on the spot (his daughter said he WOULD DIE if he ate salt) and he's like, "oh, I can splurge once in awhile and have a little salt." "This is not a little salt," I say, "Everything on your plate was boiled in seawater!" "Oh it's fine now and then," his daughter chimed in. I am still awaiting my medal for not punching her in the face.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You know, if you did call them, they may have made you an even better counter-counteroffer. I'd recommend just giving them a ring...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't remember the last time I was at a place that served steak and when asking you how you wanted your meat cooked, didn't reinforce it by giving a description of how you wanted it cooked (like if you said medium rare, they'd respond "so with a cool pink center?" or something to that effect).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also that chick sucked and was fired after a week.

Did she "get down"

• Locked thread