Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

just solo'd the floor of my 23 table breakfast joint from open to close

Nice. Yesterday, the guy who was closing dinner decided he didn't feel like coming in for 2 hours, so I had to cover despite the fact I opened and closed lunch. I used it as mean leverage to tell them I wasn't coming in for the night when we already had too many servers on anyways, which was good since I was on 4 hours sleep. He didn't get reprimanded though, people usually don't for coming in late. People just come in whenever they want really.

At 5pm, I managed to have the entire floor clean, wiped, and done by myself, with nobody seated since it was so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

lurker1981 posted:

Yeah, gently caress those people who want to succeed.

r u ok

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Why would you ever want to buy and run a restaurant. Ever. Why. Here's an idea -- shatter your own knees; I mean loving PULP them with a claw hammer, while fully awake and sober and without anesthesia. Do it very slowly and deliberately. Don't stop until you could bottle it and sell it as a fine jelly. Then spend $17,000 on new replacement knees.

There. That was a faster and better investment than buying a restaurant and trying to run it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I kind of like owning my own restaurant.

You're a Gin Monk. You cheat and have powers beyond our understanding.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

The place being profitable and being able to pay you are kind of related.

Not always. A lovely head-hosed owner can make all the difference. Well, they can make a perfectly profitable place unprofitable by meddling and pigheadedness, but they can also have a perfectly good amount of money coming in and just not spend it on paying you when they can spend it on a new car.

Granted that's a rare case. Most of the time yeah places just don't make money, and who the hell knows why people keep trying.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, anyone got a solid suggestion for some all-day server walkers? I got some new slip-ons that have been ok to me so far outside of ankle pain and breaking them in, but I am seriously concerned about how much longterm damage I might be doing to myself.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Welp, I did it, made it to Cat Chain where I live in Seattle now. Stuck on a dude's couch until I raise enough scratch to get a place of my own, and Cat Chain is not helping with that, even with vastly improved minimum wage. They played wordgames and lied to me when they said they needed some backwaiting help since half their staff quit over the holidays; instead I get one serving shift a week and a shitload of backwait shifts and a smug reply of "Well we TOLD you you'd be a backwaiter". I need to find a new place to work, I'm tired of being praised for being a good worker and not getting poo poo for it. Granted it's hard since I don't want to risk a new gig until I know where I'm living so I don't end up with a two hour commute, but still, goddamn.

That plus the Microsoft parties with the legions of low-tipping jerkwads isn't doing anyone any favors. Got the pleasure of seeing some poor bastard get his entire arm lambasted with hot grease last night, too. All the same, I'm so much happier here than on the east coast.

EDIT: As an aside, God save you who live in Seattle or in Massachusetts and have to work this Sunday. I can only imagine the bloodshed that'll go down at the sports bars. It was already carnage last Sunday when the clutch victory came out of nowhere. I was on break going down the street and there was suddenly screaming everywhere like it was the end times and every single bar was packed within the hour.

Black August fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I appreciate the recs. I hear that breweries are a good way to go -- it's a hateful thing when I struggle to make a $100 in one very long shift, and some dude tells me he popped $450 in one weekend at a brewery job. I'm fine with retarded busy too, it's what I'm used to. They didn't seem to believe me when I told them I was used to running 8 tables at once with a bad kitchen until they tossed me on the floor and told me they were surprised at how well I did, even if I felt like I did pretty shoddy. My friend jokes that the west coast is just slow and doesn't have the work ethic of good old puritan MA, but I don't give a poo poo about that kind of dickwaving, I just want the hours and tips.

I guess another thing I'm salty about is that I was going to qualify for benefits after my one year, but they tossed that and said I have to wait until November enrollment time. Soooooo that was a huge waste.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uncle Lizard posted:

I think the younger generation is just more lazy in general and probably has nothing to do with the region, but everyone could be stoned here too

Ehhhh, I don't buy into that. I see plenty of kids working just fine and plenty of olds going slow. Might just be regional attitudes. Or being stoned. Good God the stench of some tables. One dude had to take 2 minutes to ask me, very confused, if we served chicken and if the portions would be enough to feed me. Not him, but me.

I'll say this though, I'm living in a dry house right now and I'm very happy to ditch that as my industry cure-all for the occasional now-legal treat here.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I love being on on-call. Because I never get called in an end up with 20 hours a week. Then someone texts me while I'm grumpily back asleep about taking their shift one hour before it's due and I miss it and the chance to go in and make cash. Who the gently caress does on call? Ever? Does the kitchen have on calls? No, of course they loving don't! Because it's vital to keep your staff in and working!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

good to see you're still just as angry on the best coast Black August

this corporate cat and its sugary salty sloppy poo poo food is going to kill me

As soon as I can afford to live like a normal human being and work at a real restaurant I'll have nothing left to bark about. Then I can focus into getting into something useful like wine distribution.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm in the unique position of having come from Massachusetts. But I want the Patriots to lose horribly because I'm sick of the Patriots and the reheated fervor New England has for them, so while I won't be any sort of Seahawks fanatic, I won't lose much sleep if they kick the Patriots' skull in.

At the least it'll be good for business. People won't tip and they won't be nice, and most of our clientele will be bleedoff from the sports bars, but at least it'll be some money from sheer volume.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I can almost see the lines of red rage slowly become visible in the kitchen's collective faces when they keep getting duties changed every other day since the place is being 'restructured' for 'enhanced productivity' and 'customer satisfaction'. But now the poor bastards have to mix an extra three kinds of sauces for us to use, every day. This place seriously reeks of a company going under when they can't seem to make up their minds for how to run the business anymore -- even better was the chef making the darkest growling noise I've ever heard someone make when she found out firecracker chicken is coming back to the menu. Last time it was on I think it was ordered, like, six times total.

At least I got a bunch of Amazon people who tipped me an incredible amount. Decided to be healthy and better to myself and spent a tiny bit of it on cheap blueberries so I can make weeks worth of blueberry sludge shakes, instead of buying fried crap all the time.

Thoht posted:

Aw man, you know how expensive those drat nuts are?

Every time I see a sheet tray of charcoal nuts some cook forgot in the oven my heart breaks a little.

When I know it's going to be a long bad day and I have no money or stomach, I always snag a little plastic cup of them since jesus christ there's like a month of calories in just a few of those things.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Republicans posted:

Probably a favorite of the owner. We had a roasted chicken dish my boss loved but people would order it maybe once a week tops. At least nothing ever went to waste because what we didn't sell we could just debone and dice up for use as pizza topping. We sold a lot of chicken/bacon/artichoke heart pizzas with alfredo sauce.

Worse. It's corporate. It's a yearly thing, or was brought back out of desperation to drive sales or somesuch.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

In other news, I will not be doing wings for a Superbowl special. Its loving Korean BBQ boar ribs. Deal With It.

Boar ribs are a thing?

Why did nobody tell me boar ribs are a thing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh god help the seahawks are winning I don't wanna die

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thank god NEVERMIND

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Riots and mobs in the streets. They closed the place down at 8. Least we all got out early, kitchen went from enraged to scrambling to close. Godspeed to the New England people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

(I imagine yelling at me for being a condescending bitch is going to be your starting point...) but know that your life won't get better until you stop doing what you're doing.

I'm... Kinda shocked you think I'd say that. I'm not sure why you'd think I'd say that. I got nothing but like and respect for you all in this thread which is why I post here. I only share the negative stories because I thought this was the space to grouse about the pitfalls of restaurant life.

Look, if I come across as a loud rear end in a top hat, fine, I probably do, since I come here to be grumpy about the lows so I can safely scream in a virtual walk-in and maintain a professional demeanor at work. I've got nothing but praise from managers and plenty of great tables, I just don't waste time talking about it. Yeah, half my misery is my own fault, I know. It's why I sat down with management and talked it out and have more server hours now. I'm low on money, had a major life change getting away from a bad place, have to work a lot, and so I'm stressed and scared and barky. If I gave you offense, it wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions and help here. I understand this thread is more for cooks and such, so I'll take my leave. Luck everyone.

• Locked thread