Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

curufinor posted:

They sell chain mail gloves for mandolin safety

Worth their weight in gold for cleaning deli slicers, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheKennedys posted:

poo poo, one of our shift managers had an interview at another place the other day and they asked what she'd do if someone robbed them. "Give them the loving money, why is this a question, my life is worth more than the $600 in the register" is apparently not a common answer from a 24-year-old girl

poo poo, it should be. I got robbed at gunpoint working a Dairy Queen in mid-February in Iowa back in high school. Just stuck everything from the register in a bag, handed it to the dude, and called the cops once he left.

They picked him up on the way, having crashed his stolen car into a ditch due to the storm. There was a total of maybe $90 in the entire store at the time, because who the gently caress buys ice cream during a blizzard in a midwest winter?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Also, I note that we're a couple weeks out on the thread's 5th birthday. I think that's a good milestone for a new one. Anyone interested in working up a nice OP?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So am I.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The one true heezy posted:

I am so sick of this gluten free poo poo.

I don't miss dealing with this in the slightest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

The big problem with Celiac's isn't that it's not real, it's that people with actual Celiac's know better than to go into a bakery. Like the guy at the pizza joint mentioned - a production bakery is going to have flour everywhere, and it's simply not possible to do anything about it without shutting the doors for a few days for a top to bottom deep clean. Locations like that need to just post a sign saying "We cannot accommodate gluten-free requests, and the interior may be harmful to your health if you have a gluten allergy."

There was a similar story here about someone working at a confectionery or something similar where there are ground nuts everywhere from making candy, they had to post a warning about peanuts. Nobody in this thread wants to someone up with allergies, but people with actual serious, potentially life threatening allergies need to be cognizant that some businesses simply cannot do anything for them.

Back when I was a baker, we actually had a sign on the door warning people with Celiac's not to come in the building due to all the flour in the air. We added another a couple months later for tree nuts and peanuts after someone came in and had a minor reaction. To legally meet the standards to call something we made 'gluten free' we needed to shut down for three days, clean top down, and have the entire ventilation system purged. That was never, ever happening.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Excellent.

I've said it before, and will never stop saying it: If you can't afford to pay your workers a decent wage, your business has already failed, and you're just relying on others to prop it up out of their pockets.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

odinson posted:

Anyone ever used the Crocs Bistro or Bistro Pro shoes? There is a sale going on. I've had one co-worker use them before and he seemed to like them. I've had my current ones for 11 months and the bottom part starting at the toe is starting to rip off heavily.

Deal: https://dealnews.com/Crocs-4-th-of-July-Sale-35-off-10-off-free-shipping-w-25/2022983.html Free Shipping on both.

Regular Bistro: $26.32

Pro: $35.09

Old shoe: ~$30 https://www.amazon.com/Townforst-Re...c+Work+Shoes+12

I used to rock Bistros back in the day, pretty comfortable and good non-slip, plus they can go through the dishwasher.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Steels meaning steel toe? Totally not necessary, but something that doesn't let 350 degree oil in is, and the Bistro and Bistro Pro models referenced above scare me.

None of the work models of Croc have holes in the toe. They're just a rubber clog with a back strap instead of a low heel. They're as good against hot oil as any other low shoe and aren't permeable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pile of brown posted:

My produce driver gave me attitude the other day when they sent me Daikon sprouts instead of pea shoots and I sent them back. "Well I don't even see what's the difference" well then go get a different job you shithead.

Sysco once delivered me a cracked watermelon in a box marked as 20lbs of jalapenos.

My rep just stared at me when I sent him a picture, came by and swapped it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Something like that isn't the delivery driver's fault, if you'd ordered a watermelon and he showed up with a cracked one, that might be his fault, but no one shows up with a busted as watermelon to a place expecting 20 pounds of jalapenos without it being the fault of someone higher on the totem pole.

It was one of those boxes that aren't all the way closed, so there's a couple inch wide hole in the top of the box you can look into.

It was the warehouse's fault, but he should have caught it. So should the rear end in a top hat who was receiving truck that day, IE me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
It won't be in the resume, but it'll be subtly asked in the interview. Not openly, because that could open them to discrimination accusations, but subtly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Happy Anniversary, Thread!

New thread is here, after four years and 325 pages this one deserves a smoke break.

• Locked thread