Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Last night I told these two knuckleheads to check the beef I had been braising right before they left and put it in the walk-in if it was done, or if it wasn't to call me so that I could come back later and get it out... I came in this morning to find that what they had in fact done was to drain the liquid off, but then put it back in the 325 degree oven and leave it there over night? anyway, it wasn't a total loss because I got to overhand slam dunk a giant roasting pan into the dish sink and then go on a hulk like rampage through the dining room for the first time ever which felt pretty good

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Going back to bug chat:

Flies. We have a serious fly problem now that summer's in full swing here in VA. I mean, it's not a plague of biblical proportions, but it's bad enough that I'm terrified of accidentally packing out a clamshell with a fly in it. Someone will ask "JD, where's [thing in the walk-in]?", I'll turn away for second to answer, and when I look back there's three flies just chillin', getting their curry mango chix salad on. Blech.

Heard we had an Orkin dude come in the other day, but if it's anything like how fast stuff usually gets fixed (eg, took five loving days to get someone to look at our one fridge that was running at 50 degrees), I'm stuck with these flies for a while, unless someone's got some cool tips...?

One of the managers said we can't hang fly paper because it's against code, but I'm thinking that's BS. I've seen plenty of places with fly paper (granted most of them were hole-in-the-wall Chinese/taco joints); is that really verboten in kitchens? Frankly I'd rather risk an easily correctable VDH write-up than an irate customer finding a fly in their food --- and this being a co-op, you just KNOW it would be a vegan board member or some poo poo.

also: CdC, best wishes for your upgrade to cyberchef! :black101:

The thing I have learned about pest control is that no matter what professional service you use, you won't be happy, and flies are probably the hardest thing to control of all. Our restaurant has an especially hard time with them since we have this open air vibe thing going with two huge garage doors that lead from the dining room onto the patio. The only way I have managed to get flies under control is by making the front of house KEEP THOSE DOORS loving CLOSED. You need to get probably some fly lights (and preferably blowers for your kitchen entry/exit), or rent them from your pest control company, and then just try to keep your doors closed as much as you can (make sure nobody is propping them open for deliveries, convenience, "fresh air" or whatever). Also look for anything gross around your entrances like sloppy loading areas, mop stations, grease recycling bins, linen hampers etc. and clean that poo poo up. My staff also completely obliterate the air with contact insecticide twice a day when no one is in the building, but I can't in good conscience recommend that to anyone else. As far as I know, at least where I am, the fly strips that hang from the ceiling are a health code violation, but if I were in between inspections and felt like I wouldn't be seeing anybody from the dept. I wouldn't feel too bad putting some up, because it's definitely less gross than having flies landing in/on your food!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 5, 2017

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
80 hours this week :toot:

• Locked thread