Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Some bussers don't learn about saying behind until you catch them coming and throat check them with a bloody cutting board you're "taking to the dish pit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ill never understand how owners reaction to an unprofitable chain is to open more locations

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

:getout:

$3 an hour is six grand a year. If you can't get medical coverage for yourself for six grand a year, something is horribly wrong. Take it and run like the wind.

Its -6000

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You've worked a dishpit seven years trying to be a cook? If this isn't French laundry or something you've made a terrible mistake

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Find a new job, then give 2 weeks

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Can o worms: tipping out boh is not bullshit because nobody goes somewhere with lovely food and great service unless its a strip club or hooters and servers could easily tip the kitchen 20% and still earn more than line cooks, per shift (and server shifts are shorter) in every fine dining place I've worked

E: that said ca laws are still better than most places

Manager tips are pretty shady though

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 18, 2014

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The restaurant relies on work that gets done whenever it gets done. The tips that we do get boh (minor) are split evenly between the people who prep all day and the people who use that prep all night on the line.

Why would it be otherwise

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We call it "restaurant iq," when some people walk across a room they do 4 useful things, when a twice a month banquet server walks through the kitchen they get in 2 people's ways and spill something.

Edit: I just learned awful app doesn't refresh if you go straight to the thread you read last

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 7, 2014

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

rayray00 posted:

Had 5 days off this week, come back yesterday to find 5 new cameras installed in the kitchen :what:

In more than 10 years working in this industry, always in places w cameras on the staff other than one place where the owner was weird and watched feeds from his home office on a laptop, the only times I've seen footage actually pulled from them were a) a sexual harassment complaint, b)a pretty major theft, and c)a fistfight in the kitchen.

The more hours you're open each day the less chance anyone will ever watch that footage, just don't give them any reason to.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The onion rings are on the sandwich though. And are the only onion on the dish, so :iiam:

We have the "type it, talk it" rule, meaning that if we didn't give you a button to order it and you need to type it in, you need to come back and ask/explain what your customer wants to the chef/expo.

It works great when they actually do it...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Happy new year to anyone else who did nye service and is coming back before opening to do inventory...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You aren't allowed to engage in illegal contracts so if your state doesn't allow non-compete clauses it doesn't matter whether you signed one or not, it's not valid.

I feel like all of my best employees are the ones that work 2 jobs anyways...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I use a combination system: essential knives, steel and 1 peeler in a roll and goes into a backpack that goes with me to and from work, then a toolbox with more knives, backup knives, tongs, whisks, olive pitter etc that I keep in my office

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've smoked quails then picked them up to order in a fryer, the parcooked smoked birds are good for 2-3 days

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If it ever becomes easy for me to post pics from my phone I will, but picture a fried quail that looks like a crispy skin roasted duck in a chinese store window that's been smoked in pipe tobacco and hickory, served over a parsnip puree with wilted kale and a sweet brandy sauce thickened with pureed caramelized red onions. (EDIT I MEAN BRANDIED SOUBISE)

Also re: that menu I haven't read your whole menu and dont know how big it is but hibiscus seems like it's not ubiquitous enough to be on 2/4 dishes. I understand cross prep/utilization but dry hibiscus and even a hibiscus syrup should be shelf stable enough that you aren't losing much of it. To be constructive, if you swapped the hibiscus in that quinoa for some olive oil and toasted nuts or caramelized fennel or something I'd would make more sense as a dish to me anyway.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 4, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only time I've ever claimed unemployment I spent 8 months in court for 3 weeks pay because apparently my employer is allowed to appeal and request a hearing, then not show up for it, over and over FOREVER. It didn't stop until I accused the court of being complicit in harassing me since I'd missed 6 days of work at my new job at that point trying to attend appeals that the appellant wasn't coming to.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Especially since cashews aren't even nuts

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've done that before... server comes back and says that the customer wants shrimp tacos, but she's allergic to shrimp unless it's fried, so make sure we fry it. I told him I won't serve shrimp to someone who just said they're allergic to shrimp under any circumstances and she got a burger instead.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

if you aren't frantically phoning CERN for time on the large hadron supercollider when its time to backup croutons then just GET. THE gently caress. OUT. Thanks. namaste.

What the gently caress does this mean?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

nuru posted:

Is there more to this "bone broth" bullshit than fleecing hipsters for all they can to sell them broth/stock?

Kobe Bryant's physical therapist said she made him "bone broth" and he recovers from injuries super fast because of it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is the brass tax high where you live?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh lordy lord the only thing worse than needing to burn the ice because of a glass chip is being a manager who has to diplomatically tell a bartender that no, they DO need to burn the ice because there's a shard of glass in there somewhere you dumb gently caress.

I settled this argument by squirting a bunch of Sriracha into the ice too

Edit: stupid phone not loading posts.

That instagram is incredible.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 7, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Your opinion is that you should be paid to sit there and read your phone, and that one of the people responsible for managing you and your labor told you to get back to work and that that's egregiously unfair.

You're an entitled little bitch. You are why places have lovely relations between boh and foh. You "work" a shift half as long, don't do poo poo, bitch about any actual work you're told to do and then complain about how much cash you're walking with when if you can make $2 an hour in tips you're out earning most kitchen staff (as long as this isn't a hell hole state where servers get below minimum). You're probably also one of those garbage servers who thinks the kitchen should "be able to figure out" mysterious poo poo you write or don't write on your tickets and never shows up to run food to your own tables, let alone anyone else's.

Edit: I wrote up an expediter last week for watching college basketball on his phone when we had no tables.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

A Man and his dog posted:

*has worked same job for 8 years, lives comfortably, is loved by all his customers

Obviously poo poo at job

*posts in thread that job security is threatened due to poor performance*

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Proper procedure for putting on gloves is to wash your hands before and after putting them in and taking them off.
Wearing gloves is not a substitute for hand washing.

For serious if you were going to have to wash your hands you need to change gloves, and you have to touch your gloves to take them off so you will get whatever was on the gloves that necessitated washing off onto your hands, then need to clean it off of your hands before touching clean gloves anyways. (And yes you're trained in how to take gloves off without touching the gloves but you STILL wash your hands)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is that better or worse than an event coordinator who sells beer braised meat as a gluten free option

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A man and his dog has a poor understanding of labour law? Why i

He understands perfectly what he thinks someone told him

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Seriously "I worked until 9pm and I have to be back at 11am! The humanity!"

I worked a wedding reception tonight as sole boh staff until 1030pm and I open at 7am tomorrow. At least I'm getting fired on tuesday!

Fake edit: I work in a hotel and they didn't understand why letting me crash in a room from midnight until 4am wasn't very good compensation for me working 12-12 nye, doing inventory from 4am until 11am and then coming back to work dinner service NYD.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 25, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Apparently anonymous employee opinion surveys are a Big Deal.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Going through the same thing with a fish purveyor, we only buy one product from them now unless we need an emergency shipment of something because their rep literally told me on the phone that they don't and won't make any effort to ship me the amount of fish I ordered. (They shipped me 5.4lbs of halibut when i ordered 10 and told me that it's a wild fish so they don't know the yield of each one until they cut it and they won't cut another fish to fill the order)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Welp, didn't even manage to stay unemployed a full week, got 2 new jobs now, both with chefs I've worked with before. I'm actually kind of stoked to be back on hourly... while I don't really mind 12 hr shifts it's nice to know they're incentivized to get me out of there sooner and I'll actually be compensated if not. Let's see if this all plays put as well as I think it will nothing does .

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Out of curiosity, how many of those send backs were ordered at not - real temperatures? I've noticed an epidemic of "between mid rare and medium" lately as if that's a real place

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Republicans posted:

This talk of $100+ steak reminded me of something I've been thinking about lately: Am I missing out on important perspective on becoming a better cook by not eating at restaurants very often? Every time I do I look at the bill and think about what I could have made at home with that money and how much better it would have been than what I just ate. I avoid higher end establishments like the plague because I know if I drop $100 on a steak and it isn't four times better than a $20 steak cooked with $5 worth of charcoal I'm gonna feel tremendously ripped off.

If you can and enjoy cooking it's rarely worth it to eat out. Honestly.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What sort of hellhole wasteland do you live in so I never have to loving go there?

You should be eating out, often, to experience new food and perspectives.

I live in San Luis Obispo, and there are a few restaurants around that are absolutely fantastic, and that I have always enjoyed splurging at. They are the exception and not the rule.

I guess I should be a little more detailed but I really can't remember a time that I was impressed, enlightened or really even satisfied with my purchases at a restaurant that is not in my "top tier". I'm always willing to try new places and even in this relatively small town type area I'd say I try a new place 2 or 3 times a month, but I'd also say that 95% of the time I am disappointed and would have enjoyed my time and the meal itself more if I had prepared it myself at home. I love to try new foods, and my favorite way to do so is to learn to prepare them. Maybe I'm just a picky rear end in a top hat, but as someone who greatly enjoys cooking I have trouble paying a 300+% markup for something I could and would enjoy doing myself, better. There are definitely things that I can't make better than some places, pho and ramen as CdC mentioned are a couple of them.

It's really a personal choice as to whether or not you would trade 12 hours of your labor for a single meal and declare it "worth it." I should have been less general in my original statement.

As a professional chef I'm definitely not telling you never eat in restaurants, but blindly assuming every restaurant will produce the finest iteration of each of their menu items and provide good value is dumb, and I was directly responding to someone who asked about why he doesn't appreciate a mediocre and expensive steak more than one he prepared himself, well.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 7, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
130 is not mid rare...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

All that said, I generally eat at James Beard type places, so I'm not disappointed.

This is my point: you "generally" go out to eat at award winning places in the top .1% of restaurants because those are the rare occasions I referred to in my original post where the value is there. I am 100% on board with that. You're right, 200 is a little high but even spending more 100$ on anything is usually a purchase I will consider at least a little before making.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Was the guy happy with it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Show up in interview clothes. Definitely take all your stuff, it's a good idea, but keep it in a car/backpack until they tell you that's what they want.

Personally it's never bothered me but the last 2 chefs that I worked for/hired for hated people who wore kitchen clothes to interviews, idk why.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Simoom posted:

Oh. does anyone know a good way to get pomegranate seeds out without any sort of white stuff on them that doesn't involve whacking them into a bowl and picking through them for 5 minutes a piece? I'm sick of losing a half hour of my time on this planet because I have to do 8 or 10 of them by smacking them angrily into a bowl with a spoon. No we don't have a prep cook anymore.

Fill the bowl with water, seeds sink and the white bits float

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I call back whatever I think the order was, to make sure I got it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
2 burgers is better than a double double for me, I think the ratio of bun to ingredients to burger is better, but I also get them no tomato extra lettuce because I'm a heathen who doesn't like raw tomato

• Locked thread