Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Turkeybone posted:

Xanthan gives a hot jism/boogery consistency which isn't always desired. I think more of the traditional starches should be fine. That being said, I would cheat sometimes on saute.. if a sauce was on the verge of breaking I would mix in a pinch of xanthan and viola!

I've seen places that have little squeeze bottles of "sauce fixer" on the stations. It's just a premixed water+xanthan solution so you don't even need to buzz in the xanthan.

I also don't like using it to for other than a very mild thickening. I like it for purees because it gives them a nice smoothness, shine and stability but I don't really add it for thickness.

Ultratex is pretty awesome for thickening things in place of xanthan. It thickens like a starch but it doesn't need heat to activate, just shear like xanthan. Novation is also really nice if you want to thicken something into an instaglaze without clouding it or adding too much starch flavor but it needs heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Weirdest kitchen injury I've had is definitely a dried fish splinter from shaving a sharp piece of katsuobushi that jammed and my hand kept going.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

feelz good man posted:

Ooh!! If we're playing this game, then I'll add spearing my thumb with a chicken bone

Salmonella injection.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
We don't even have music in the dining room, definitely no music in the kitchen. Fine dining totally rules :smuggo:

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Do we all need to reread the first chapter of The Devil in the Kitchen? If you start to shift away from working in a constant state of fear then you aren't pushing yourself.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
No way in hell is LA a top tier food city. It's come a long way in the past decade though.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Wait, places drug test the chefs?

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
It's sad that they won't just assume you're high at work anymore.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'm trailing at a unbelievably serious place tonight: think I should get my red wings shined?

Are you serious? Just make sure they're clean.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
We had a form for all stagiers that was not only a liability release but also made them acknowledge that it was completely voluntary and there was no expectation for compensation or future hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
The more reputable the restaurant is the more reliable dishwashers are valued over cooks. If you have 3 michelin stars or are on the world's top 50 you have a nearly endless supply of experienced cooks emailing you every week, many willing to work for free. At one of the places I worked we had a dishwasher who had been there for about 3 years and we half-joked that he was the highest paid employee.

• Locked thread