Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

rndmnmbr posted:

"A backbreaking physical labor job in terrible conditions with piss poor pay, benefits, and job security, plus a terrible cocaine/heroin habit, and occasionally getting to score with waitresses? I have an erection already!"

Every time this thread reboots I like to point out that anyone who can last in a kitchen should be able to hack it as a stagehand and even the most grunt and skilless work will usually pay like $12-15 an hour in or around big cities. It is a really flexible job and would mesh well with kitchen stuff time-wise and will give you a whole nother peer group of shady motherfuckers to complain with, try to nail, and buy drugs from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You guys really are like stagehands.

I am so used to "behind", "hold", and "heads" that I yell them out in public all the time. Its kinda embarrassing at times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

For my chili dog, we also engineered an unbreakable* cheese sauce that used xanthan, agar, velveeta, and cheddar. It was amazing.

I still dream of that dog. I never make it to Bmore much anymore sadly so I haven't been to BA in like a year and a half maybe.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
This is random but does anyone here have a contract for a food truck in the DC/NOVA area with a license to serve on NPS land and would be interested in a catering gig for a fee days? If so PM me, I have a lead.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How would that be made illegal, or does it last longer than a one shift "does dude's skills match his resume" type thing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

It's the same in the states as best I can tell. Granted, I really only talk to craft brew people, but I don't think I've met any who aren't totally jazzed about their jobs selling/brewing beer. Dunno if liquor and wine are the same, but I imagine so.

As a pretty regular weekday bar patron, I have noticed that beer and liquor reps seem to be pretty relaxed and happy dudes. Even the the ones who have to service taps while in business causal seem pretty cheerful about getting covered in beer spray.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I dont think I have ever sent anything, food or drink, back. I either just never comeback or if it is somewhere that is usually good I just chalk it up to being an off day or whatever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

While I'll admit to sometimes doing the same, it really sucks to do this. Any good manager would much rather you say something so that they can attempt to fix the problem (or at least be made aware of it). I've got a couple local restaurants that I frequent where they hosed up the first plate they sent to me, but I said something and they fixed it and now I go back all the time because the food is awesome (but I wouldn't have known that if I'd just eaten my overcooked whatever and never come back).

Edit: Basically, if the manager is any good at all, they'll appreciate you saying something and giving them the opportunity to fix it. If they brush you off, then at least you know for sure that you never want to go back.

Yeah, I know but my threshold for "never come back" is pretty high and usually not something that can be fixed short of burning the place to the ground. It takes 2-3 bad meals in a row ususally and at that point signs point to an overall slip in quality that complaining about isn't going to help. The saddest example of this is a formerly decent Mexican place near by. They went from "decent cheese-bomb Mexican w/ huge, cheap margaritas" to watery and more expensive drinks and food that seems like it was made the day before. I gave them like three try's before I gave up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Sounds like a fun gig. That debit card poo poo is super hosed too, it's like a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from being paid in company scrip.

Eh, when I was young and poor that would have been the best poo poo ever, makes it impossible to overdraft your checking account and loose an entire DD check.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If you have lovely housemates just switch to Chinese cleavers, no tip to mangle and they sharpen back up in seconds.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot fathom doing dishes all day and not being stoned. Hell, if you have to be sober you might as well do landscaping.

Here is a question, a friend and I have been arguing back and forth about minimum wage hikes and what, if any negative effects it would cause. Clearly restaurants both pay very low wages and seemingly operate on the brink of financial collapse. So my question is, what level of pay raises could the "average" small to medium independent place be able to swallow without being driven out of business?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tweek posted:

Has, "If you don't like it, you can leave" -ever- actually been true?

Sure, assuming you are willing to take the chance on not being able to find another job.

So if labor isn't a huge part of a restaurant's budget, what is? Food costs, rent, gas? I do a lot of budget related work for the event industry and labor is normal 50% or more of any given event and even a 4-5% hike is huge. The restaurant industry is fascinating to me with how dysfunctional it seems and how high the failure rate is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

no don't you see GLUTEN FREE is far more important and vital to your restaurant and isn't it funny how only a very small portion of the population had celiac's disease until a few years ago

Eh, I have some friends with legit diagnosed gluten issues and I think that with an increased awareness leads to people with less serious but still unpleasant reactions getting a proper diagnoses. Specifically I have a buddy who can eat a sauce with flour in it and be fine but say a bowl of bread pudding will force a long date with a toilet. He is pretty pleased to now know what is going on so he can work out what is "worth it" in terms of pleasure/poop.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think people can mentally make themselves poop pudding but idk, not a doctor or pudding pooper. I seem to remember lactose intolerance being a "thing" maybe 10 years ago with the same status as a fad and a similar small group of friends who were able to use that knowledge to achieve firmer poops, which is all anyone really wants.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

That's more or less what I was thinking; I was just worried some organization would bring out their lawyers if we just made our own/dubbed ourselves so.

Just throw condoms at them until they go away.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, a random gift of a dryer is kinda nice, if weird. Even weirder if you are not close enough to just talk to the dude.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The Saurus you should become a cook if you want to never see your wife and want to make approximately minimum wage for the next 8 years.

Also you can maintain drug contacts once you hit middle age, if you consider that a plus.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. I'm not really taking to NY so well, but I basically sit around in a cubicle and do excel and talk about wine and restaurants all day long.

What don't you like about it? I enjoy it when ever I go there but it never really struck me as "man I want to live here".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
When I was a theatrical rigger a coworker made her ringtone the sound of a chain motor dumping it's chain i.e. "Heavy poo poo falling from height". It is a very distinct sound and builds as more chain slips from the bag.

We made her change it after about 2 days.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How do places, like a stereotypical Greek diner, with these menus that run 5-6 pages plus breakfast manage inventory? The specific place that made me think about this can't have much in the way of storage, looking at the seating area vs building footprint.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I dip horrible pizza in Frank's all the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Just go Tudor and make peacock.

The farm I live on has peacocks and a few people have admitted to killing and eating one. No one really liked it though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Yep. I loving hate raw onions and will go to the ends of the earth to pick them all out, but I will put the hurt on a basket of onion rings.

Madness. Cooked onions are often too sweet, someone make an onion ring that where somehow the onion is still raw and I will sing their praises to the heavens.

Edit: onionrings on sandwiches are unpleasant due to the tendency of cooked onion to not bite through cleanly which can pull toppings off of the sandwich.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, is there an easy way to peel a ton of raw shrimp?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
M

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Make someone else do it.

My girlfriend wants more then $10 an hour. :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Be really good at it, or hire someone who is. Alternatively, buy PUDs.

What's a PUD?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Peeled Undeveined

I don't know if I've ever seen such a thing for sale. My only recollection of seeing peeled shrimp are those sad little frozen ones you buy at the big bags.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so shell on shrimp dishes only, got you.

Can you make stock out of shrimp peeled after cooking or is that gross?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Every time I have a lovely day at my gig I read this thread for a bit and feel so much better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alobar posted:

Don't let them sucker you back in. Always have a plan when you put in your notice.

Or just quit at the height of the recession with no plan other then "gently caress this" and get hired right back as a freelancer making almost double. But maybe I just got lucky.

But really, any of you all who like fast paced, high pressure, team based work should look at the live event industry. The hours and conditions still suck but you can make a pretty decent income.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

And then some people order medium rare, it's explained, they want to look like a real steak eater so they confirm, then they send it back because they really want a hockey puck.

It took my girlfriend a few years to admit to this, but now she is a happy medium steak eater. Oddly enough, I often prefer her medium to my m-rare a lot of the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We go to this fancy steakhouse in Annapolis and I once answered "however the chef thinks is best for the cut" as I had ordered a porterhouse, which I never really get so I honestly didn't know what I prefer. The waitress was a bit taken back but she went with it. About a minute later chef comes out of the kitchen, we discuss the cut, which I guess is tricky due to the bone, consensus was reached, wine was drunk, the steak was excellent, the negroni was amazing, and a huge tip was left. I don't know why people pay someone to do a job and then tell them how to do it.

The only special thing I usually ask for is to have my margaritas tart and that is just because even places that make good ones tend to make them too sweet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I also don't like a long special recital. Like, just give me the general idea and if I'm interested we can go into where the potatoes were grown and what not.

I also really really like it when a server asks our preference in meal pace. I get the need to turn tables but sometimes you want to linger a little but sometimes you have tickets to a show and I really enjoy everyone being on the same page about it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I never really considered that FOH folks manage time to keep the kitchen moving. Like, it makes perfect sense and seems obvious but it never occurred to me. Very interesting stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I eat out very often and generally don't mind paying for quality but a burger that costs more then $15 w/ fries needs to be pretty life changing for me to be ok with it. I just checked, the best burg I have ever had, the Korean at the Little Goat in Chicago, cost $13 w/o fries. And that thing was so good I had to go back two days later to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Question, what in a restaurant generally has a better margin, food, beer/wine, or spirits?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I though that was the case but I have noticed that a lot of the places I go will sell decent beer at like $7-10 per bottle for stuff that cost like $10-13 per sixer retail, but will charge like $12-16 for a cocktail made with decent but not super premium liquor. It seems like lowering the price of mixed drinks closer to beer would help move more volume of a more profitable product.

Restaurants are endlessly interesting to me, sorry if the questions are annoying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Most of those $12-16 cocktails are made with more than one spirit thought, like a sazerac, or manhattan, etc. Most of your shot + mixer drinks will be anywhere from $3.50 to $8.

Specifically I was salty about a $14 Billit Rye Old Fashioned. The liquor is like $20-25 retail and I can't assume the bitters, cherry, and twist could be more then like $0.50 per drink. At the current price, I had two and switched to beer, at like $10, I would have had four or five of them.

I am mostly thinking about places that "specialize" in cocktails. It seems odd that if spirits have such a good margin, why offer so many beer options? I would think they would want enough to keep non-liquor people happy but not so many at low enough prices to driver people away from the liquor. But I guess that most people don't have my drunkard's memory for booze prices.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Beer and liquor are not directly substitutable for most people and most people aren't trying to maximize their alcohol / dollar once they graduate college. In addition, prices are never a direct function of the underlying components, they are a function of what the market will accept, and people will pay more for fancy cocktails than they will for an equivalent amount of alcohol in beer. Probably because anyone can pop open a beer while making fancy cocktails requires an initial investment of time and money.

Why are you assuming the increase in sales will make up for the price drop? If they did their homework they have found the rough equilibrium between supply and demand to maximize the profit.

Eh, all my musings are based on my personal feelings and my observations of my circle of friends, most of whom have the same drinking/spending habits as I do. It's less a matter of "maximize their alcohol / dollar" then feeling a bit like chump when I order a $15 drink, even if in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't affect my over all budget any more than a $10 one.

I'm also working on the assumption that the huge failure rate of restaurant is due in part to owners/managers not doing their homework about cost/profit and what the market will bear.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just had a wrathfully lovely day at work but then I read this thread and man I feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

e; actually let's make this messed up post a good question: Does anyone have that feeling occasionally, training up a dubiously qualified new hire on a station maybe on a night that didn't go so smooth, where you're like: I was never that bad, was I? Did I just have to explain "large dice" to a guy? Did I just say I was making sauce twice to a guy who looked away and lost object permanence and asked again in 30 seconds? Was I ever that bad?!?

(i probably was tho)

Dude I once saw a "stagehand" try to plug two female cable ends together. He then, looking puzzled, flipped one upside down and tried again.

Someone got to haul sandbags around the rest of the shift.

And yea, as a newbie I once, while "fixing" an breakout box, decided to cut all the cables off flush for reasons. It still gets brought up at least once a year

• Locked thread