Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

We have a pastry position open. Clearly you should move to Austin, work 5a-1p, have insurance, PTO, etc, etc. and make ~12bux/hr.

Did I mention Austin?

Also, literally everyone at work is quitting. We have 6 positions open. Out of 20. Chef just told me to be prepared to be destroyed if we don't have anyone hired by the time we get back into the busy season, which is about 2 weeks away.

I am going to be destroyed.

Just think about the OT just think about the OT just think about the OT just think about the OT...

I've been running through my lil' rolodex of people on the east side who would be a good fit/could maybe probably pass the background check and most of whose left get real real interested looking when I mention the compensation and bennies and then its like "oh btw you might have to wake up in the morning" and the look of horror and disgust on their faces my god

I don't wanna get into High Politics Mode but it's seriously making me reevaluate some poo poo I thought I knew about my contemporaries. C'mon guys, sack up! Opportunity knocks! Greet The Sun! (jk you'll be on before it rises)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Go with Christ posted:

The stores aren't too bad, everyone else inside likes to whine like a bitch but seriously, its a pizza shop, there's a huge loving oven in the middle of the store, its only like 80 degrees. Drink some water and take a break in the walk-in.

At my last job the owner insisted on an open door to the outside next to the kitchen entrance because why not? The lack of fans and airflow in the space does not make the kitchen any cooler while simultaneously allowing flies and other insects into our area where we're prepping and serving raw seafood. It's a win win!

Anyway every so often a wasp, hornet or bee would fly in attracted to some sweet thing we had on the line. And they'd buzz and be angry and scary and confused for a bit. But then the circles would get slower, the orbits would get lower, and they'd descend in a helical pattern onto one of the prep tables or the floor. And they'd hit the ground and stop for a bit, and just... roll over. And they'd kick their little legs around for about ten minutes and stop.

Turns out hornets and wasps die from temperatures north of ~120 degrees Fahrenheit. I worked six days a week in that heat. lol

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BlueGrot posted:

Are people seriously doing coke to cope with work?

Are you not?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Also, I am currently top contender for restaurant sous :woop:

There is absolutely no way you're not going to get the bump to sous. Sorry, I realize life is very boring without drama, but you're two shoes-in.

------
Bad things about today:

-Went outside with friends yesterday to be social and poo poo. Got sunburned everywhere. Except my face didn't even get a tan so with a shirt on I still look like a slightly less healthy Iggy Pop. You know you hosed up when prepping other stations' poo poo means your focus on knifework means that for a few minutes you can think about something other than how Every Moment You Live Is Agony.
-Got three hours of sleep on account of each toss and turn in bed feeling like my skin was suppurating.
-WHY WOULD YOU CLOSE SOUTH CONGRESS. WHY CLOSE THE BUSIEST THOROUGHFARE IN AUSTIN AT QUARTER OF FIVE IN THE MORNING YOU FUCKS, BAT NIGHT ISN'T UNTIL *THE NIGHT*. Holy poo poo on top of everything else getting most of the way to work then having to drive a meandering semicircle in the opposite direction when you already left late, oh god oh god so angry.
-Checking the schedule, instead of being fifteen minutes late, was forty-five minutes early. On a morning where I really, really could've used an extra hour of sleep. But I wasn't late on account of the City of Twee Dumbfuck Austin. Got even madder for being made to feel mad. This makes perfect sense on three hours of sleep two hours into a service.

Good things about today:

-Multitasked like a motherfucker.
-Got concrete proof that my knife skills are like, 50x better than they were a month ago. Growing as a professional and person owns, imo.
-Got my poo poo done and then some, making tomorrow real easy.
-Helped out other stations during a psycho service, currently look like a boss. The kind of boss with little responsibility and is merely a reasonably helpful coworker, but a boss.

Was in such a toxic mood at the start of the day but by the end everything felt... good! I'm no longer getting bitched out for slowness and even getting occasional attaboys, so either I've been written off as a lost cause and people are fluffing me up until I'm let go at my 90 day review or I'm being seen to be stepping up. There's really only one thing to do: slather my body in aloe and lidocaine, chasing my martini(s) with High Life while lighting a hookah and listening to Miles Davis keep showing up on time and doing my best.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Every Moment We Live is Agony would be the best name for a breakout post-punk band. I can play one bass chord every four seconds, lets get two other food service goons who can do the same and we'll leave this life of luxury, cut a record, become the darlings of Pitchfork Media and go on tour.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Black August posted:

It appears you need to either be a very savvy and determined human, or a very gross and loving stupid one, to run a restaurant.

My last boss strutted into the kitchen during an increasingly rare dinner rush since he ran the place into the loving dirt, coked up to the eyeballs, and started grilling us about how service was proceeding (its loving busy, kindly leave and let us make you some loving money, TIA) while we answered him he apparently got jittery and awkward and reached for the prep bowl containing three pieces of chicken destined for a milanesa, tossing them in the fry-dredge in an awkward up-and-down motion instead of a shoveling motion but whatever it seems to make him happy. After the twenty second or so interrogation he dumps the whole loving thing raw chicken included back into the pan containing the rest of the dredge. Luckily, his inept tossing of the chicken meant there was still a lot of juice to get wicked up by the rest of the dredge creating little cat litter clumps.

I am still not entirely sure what he thought we were doing, tossing the chicken in flour and breadcrumbs before frying it. He saw us doing this a hundred times and somehow it just... never penetrated his mind.

In summary: agreed, friendo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On a related note, Papi Tino's Authentic Mexican Cantina LLC is now open for service only two days a week (friday and saturday) because on considered analysis the owner saw most of the money was made on friday and saturday and--are you ready for this brainwave?!--realized he could lower overhead by only being open those two days! Now he can "concentrate on those two days," and not spend every day "worrying if we have enough tomatoes."

What a... smart loving guy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

now I have to spend some time up on the mountain thinking about benefits and other factors..

So thats what the kids are calling it these days :2bong:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
O' LORD, grant me the serenity to avoid cussing the gently caress out of the well-coiffed turk who asked for his complimentary guest platter eleven hours into a tweleve hour shift thats nothin but weeds.

The courage to keep on truckin with the stream of intense Anglo-Saxon prose long after its clear he can hear every word my coworker and I are saying.

And the wisdom to hand that fucker off in a timely fashion anyway with a straight face and solemn nod.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Oh poo poo I think he's serious, folks.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

* You can use the toaster, microwave and wash dishes

THANK YOU, YOUR'RE MAJESTY

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
* Spend no mroe than 4 consecutive hrs at a time in apt and no more than 12 in a 24 hr period
* Please remain feet keep off the floor
* Do not acknowledge Terry

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
GOOFUS shows up to work with a hangover.

GALLANT drinks howevermuch, sleeps for three hours, pounds a beer right after waking and stumbles into work hollering most of Open Road Song by Eve 6 before pulling a double and change. Hangover averted.

I no longer fear death, having lived through this week.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

"In two quarters we stopped losing money and started making money? Hell yeah, life don't git no better than this" *orders someone else to shutter the business and goes drinking for new years to commemorate the hard work they've done*

Corporate culture is so awesome. Sorry for your situation, but kudos to you for helping some people land on their feet. Thats the kind of predicament where the only thing you can really control is you. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The egg is for scale

Was gonna give you poo poo for that until I saw the multiple fried eggs on there. Nicely done. That's a good boss you got there, Lou.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Phanatic posted:

There's this guy named Matt Swartz.

Just crazy enough to be true.

I have the arrest warrant for my last boss framed at home. Nothing truly righteous like our friend Matt, just unpaid parking tickets. He decided such matters were the wheelhouse of the restaurant manager and not, say, his lawyer. This is the same guy who put the ice box in the shitter.

Currently working on a thesis paper that people with no food service experience who open restaurants are Not So Smart In The Brainbox, seeking a publisher and peer review.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Minclark posted:

Nope! I still make the best bacon. Add some steak seasoning and separate your bacon tray into 3 stacks: super crunch, crunch and soft. Then when your regulars come up to the front you can get them the bacon done the way they want. Watch those timers though you don't want to waste food.

drat good poo poo, sir. *takes notes*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i am literally unsure of who is more insincere right now

poe's law is a motherfucker

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

slimskinny posted:

GM: I've tried everything, short of dragging her out.

Well that narrows your options right the gently caress down now, don't it? Good talk, y'all.

infiniteguest posted:

Bar manager is pretty sassy for obviously overserving a guest.

Yes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

"Well boss, the good news is today's blood orange curd is seriously loving real."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Today was a rockin' service out front on bitch detail omlette station, tons of business, lovely customers, and either early-90's David Bowie or his doppleganger tipped me bus fare and beer money. Good times, great oldies. But HOLY loving GOD my runner. This loving guy...

After two straight hours of slamming service I'm finally out of arugula. Normally its spinach, we had no spinach, gently caress it arugula owns. With the third hand I didn't know I had I wave the runner over and ask for more--he says we have none. Huh? In the last twelve hours we've gone through like four flats of arugula? Okay, gently caress it stranger things have happened. "Get me kale, get me mixed greens, just give me something leafy and green in a six pan"

He comes back holding a six pan with two bunches of cilantro in it, and he's definitely not kidding, and I get that vertiginous feeling where either some really loving absurd poo poo is going down or the terminally large gulf between myself and the rest of humanity has at long last opened.

He claims that after our produce delivery there was simply no sorting everything out, stuff was all over! I check the cooler after service and not only is there there approximately 2.5 fuckloads of arugula that hasn't been touched since I touched it yesterday, in the section of the cooler that is specifically for leafy green poo poo, there's also a bunch of other greens we got in the delivery that would have been really great to have about three hours ago.

Homie was getting the gears for a bunch of other poo poo too so I let it slide because aside from that things went really really well, but, drat.

e; oh, also, his idea of cutting strawberries is ripping off the leaves at the top and leaving the woody part of the stem 100% intact, but we can work on that later. baby steps.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also, temps in this neck of the woods have taken a dip and interior temps front of house get as uncivilly low as *gasp* sixty degrees!! And: If I see. One more. loving. Server. Huddled in their little kiosk, shoulders slumped, going "bbrrrrrrrrrr oh my gosh! its so cooollllddd!!!" I swear to the beautiful black baby jesus I will warm them up with a can of sterno and a matchbook.

Here's a fun winter survival tip from a reared and raised Vermonter: MOVE AROUND. You are a server. You have tables. You are wearing long sleeves and at least an undershirt. Walk! Left foot, right foot, repeat as necessary. If it gets too bad, go to the loving kitchen, there's a window there with heat lamps and everything. At no cost to you, we've also placed in that warm spot the plates your customers have been asking after for twenty loving minutes now. You know, the plates? The things with food on them the cooks have gotten disgusted looking at as tickets pile up and taken out themselves?

e; I gotta restate though, this was a really loving great day really. This is not actually a poster typing these words, this is a big ol' ball of adrenaline breating out the fire on the internet aided with the gains of his David Bowie's Clone's beer money. Thank you GWS, I feel much better now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 7, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

So, paychecks weren't in this morning. I'm starting to get the fear.

Naw, that's compound exhaustion from prolonged third shift combined with early onset delirium tremens.

The recommended course of action is basically the same, though.

There are only two people I know IRL who approach your level of hosed By Culinary, both of them at my last job. The first one got cut to two days a week but doesn't care because he's selling weed until his probation's up and can leave the state, the other fell off the grid somewhere between Texas and Hawaii travelling back from a job that fell through, current status unknown.

Turkeybone posted:

And now for whatever reason, we're off for Lincoln's birthday.

Dont you talk poo poo about lincoln, dog *rolls up sleeve to reveal a Monty Python foot tattoo squashing the block-print words STATES RIGHTS*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

gyrobot posted:

At least you are finished, I just getting back into work on a down note, having been snubbed to going to two meet ups I planned to go, one because my family forced me to not go to one and the other from one of my friends who other friends don't really appreciate my company. And tomorrow I have to clean steamed egg which is a complete bitch to clean up. Any advice on coping with last second anger issues so that I don't wind up losing my job?

Smoke weed.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am being completely serious BTW in case you think I'm being glib or making a joke at your expense. You're dishpit. Its the one job back of house that can definitely, absolutely, 100% be done to perfection while utterly gerschtunkenfleunct. Furthermore, you have a repetitive manual task as your job. That owns. Put on some music with a strong beat and scrub in time while so stoned you're hard. Become one with that steamed egg, which is not steamed egg, but, in fact, comma, job insurance the likes of which mortal men can only dream of manifest before you in material guise as a glommed-on mess. Your lot is simple, you are measured in how many clean dishes you make. How hosed are they who must evaluate their worth through eldritch functions of adding "value" to an enterprise.

If you think I'm bullshitting you, you are not nearly high enough.

Also go to some motherfucking groups hermano, therapy is a longshot on dishpit salary but if you're proximal to a kindof sortof urban area there should be group meetings to get out what you're keeping in and you clearly need to get it out because it's poisoning you.

You make dirty dishes into clean dishes. Smoke weed like its your job because it is. Its at least the subtext, anyway.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if you need it spelled out for you and/or are currently not smoking weed (which sounds probable from your posting tbqh) here is:

Willie Tomg's Patented Weed Procurement Strategy For Food Service WorkersTM: Proven across no less than three (3) United States!

*inhales, turns vaguely toward line but addresses all in earshot*

MAN I COULD SMOKE THE gently caress OUT OF A BOWL RIGHT NOW. IS ANYONE COOL IN THIS ROOM? WHERE THE WEED AT?

*get contact info of relevant individuals, turns back around, goes back to work*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kenning posted:

In other news, my restaurant has been way over-staffed for months. I know it's the slow season, etc. etc. but I can't live off of 2-3 shifts a week. Guess it's time to update the resume again.

The grass is always greener, friendo. We're still short in our house, the banquet board is four motherfucking columns deep with tickets for tomorrow alone, and bossman's bossman has made it very very very crystal clear in voluminous and voluble deployments of Anglo-Saxon prose that there is to be not so much as one beshitted minute of OT. For anyone. No excuses. The budget, you know?

Oh Hey, Another Great Reason To Never Accept Salary

e; I saw a beautiful thing today. The new banquet sous came over to the cold side of the kitchen for some odd thing or other and saw a server and new restaurant manager--who, for the record, looks exactly like a jack russel terrier in what's admittedly an immaculately cut and kept suit--both (ugh) looking for a handful of rolls (argh) with the walkin cooler door flung and kept wide open for reasons that likely made sense to them at the time (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA).

And I saw it. I saw, in the wild, the side-to-side-oh-god-no-what-no-oh-jesus-no-not-this-never-this-oh-jesus-gently caress-help-no-i-cant-believe mortified head shake from Italian Spiderman completely unprompted and unconscious.

Might start a betting pool whether the sous has a stroke or lives long enough to release hulkmania upon the front house staff

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 26, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kaitline posted:

Have any of you ever been taken off the schedule after attempting to put notice in? I haven't put in my notice yet, but I'm very concerned.

I've worked in some primo grade A shitheaps and while I've heard some things from friends of friends, IME schedule fuckery is more a passive-aggressive way of shooing an employee out the door without laying them off and *gasp* maybe paying some unemployment maybe.

If you're the kind of responsible where you give notice before leaving, and the kind of skilled where you get poached by prior employers, generally the logistics of replacing you on the schedule are gonna be pretty dicey without a new hire waiting in the wings anyway.

quote:

So, how do I put my notice in? I want to be professional and give a month of notice, but I also don't want to be treated like the enemy, or just taken off the schedule.

"Hey boss, got a minute? I've been offered a position at this great new place opening up in April and lately I've been thinking its time for me to move on. Consider this my notice, I'll get it to you in writing at such a point if you want blah blah." Its that easy.

If pressed for specifics when having the mirror of this conversation with the owner then obliquely mention some friction with the GM and how you really thought you were going to get some advancment. If pressed further, then get into particulars but absofuckingloutely not until then. The owner hired that GM, the owner clearly trusts that GM, and entrepreneurs who are dissatisfied with their businesses tend to make it known so he clearly does not share your value judgments of her. If losing you is such a blow that the owner is burning to know what went wrong then you'll get a chance to say your piece, if not then not and best of luck in your future endeavors.

quote:

One of the main reasons I'm leaving is how people get treated. People that leave are usually treated as traitors and taken off the schedule as soon as possible.
I do also want to meet with the owner and tell him of a few behaviors I think he would like to know:
1. Her niece works as a hostess and is above the law. She spends most of her shift in the kitchen harrassing the cooks to give her free snacks. When she is late the GM usually calls in on her behalf. When another hostess goes out to a bar with her an mentions having a crush on the same server, the poor hostess's hours get cut suspiciously..
2. Once she taunted a former sous by showing him that one of the buss boys made more tips than the sous's salary.
3. Servers and bartenders get on her "poo poo list" for little to no reason and are passively aggressively punished. Once a bartender did not reply when the GM walked in and said hello. It was brunch and the bartender was making about 12 bloody marys at once. All day I have to hear, "Does she know who I am? I'm the GM, I could FIRE her for that!" and for weeks afterward the bartender is accused of being a weak link, getting drunk all the time, coming in to work "looking like poo poo". Needless to say, none of this was true.
4. Sometimes the best servers get on the "poo poo list" and I am forced to either put someone weak in a hard section, or to get pulled off the floor and get a lecture for up to an hour(during peak business!) about how server X is a piece of poo poo and does not deserve to make money. Sometimes she then also insinuates that she thinks they are a drug addict. One of the frequent victims of this claim is a smart,perky mother of a nursing baby.
5. She refused to help me get former employees their W2s that did not make it to them. She told me, "I don't care if they get to do their taxes, they left the company and are a drug addict." I secretly visited the company accountant who actually helped me, and said, "You didn't need to come all the way to my office, I told GM exactly what to do with these days ago."
Also other things, but this post is getting too long. Sorry for being so longwinded, most people I know have been telling me to quit this job for months and don't want to hear about it anymore. Thanks for listenening.

yeah heres a surprisingly comprehensive list of things you should not say unprompted when giving notice, anywhere, ever

I feel you so hard about a restaurant you like, and like working at, turning into a circular firing squad because of managerial incompetence imported from eldritch angles, but you gotta get real about the fact that the owner is 100% cool with that behavior as exhibited by the fact that she got the GM position and you did not and even if he isn't, frontloading your spiel with OMG GM'S poo poo IS WEAK AS gently caress AND HERES WHY is the exact thing that makes you the bad guy, especially if you're planning on hanging around for another month.

e; vvvvvv And yeah, what this person below said too, 100%

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You know who else was loyal?

thaaaaaaaats right!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

breadingbutter posted:

personal update - well i ran a few computer simulations and found out how to boost my productivity in the dishpit substantially.

is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Serving the SXSW crowds is great, everyone's really chill and nice and clearly glad to be in town and having a good time. What's not great is getting poo poo on for taking ten extra minutes to make sure tomorrow's product is wrapped because room service and banquet middle management freakin LOVE giving food away for free and now the people with the least spare time on the property now have even less because, you see, the budget, therefore, *flails arms wildly*

hey, ya fuckin' geniuses I may be just a simple ol' countrah lawyah, but what i'm not is in OT because i left 20 minutes early yesterday but even if i were then maybe if you want me out the door on time don't loving extend service by one hour to serve two covers. I can stay, I can leave, I'll work either way, but make up your loving minds and/or leave me the gently caress alone.

After almost two months of this clownshoes bullshit it is becoming increasingly difficult to take the whims of management seriously.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

That's pretty high. I have a staff of 18, and we lose 2-3 people a year.

Or night, weirdo drunken sleepover love triangles permitting.

But yeah losing people every week is, how you say, "not so good" in terms of both workplace morale and institutional knowledge of how to do things.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

A friend's bar near the Giants stadium here in SF got a bad yelp last year that was like "stopped in after the game on my way to BART, asked Mrs. Bartender to plug in my phone and for a glass of water and she told me I had to buy something to take up a barstool, WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT? Never going here again - 1 star"

Pretty sure you gotta be a customer to get customer service, bro.

When looking at reviews to go somewhere or buy something I generally take samples of the highest and lowest and then look at what specifically people liked/hated about the thing. If the one star reviews are like you mention, then I know the product or location is legit. So really that dude was doing your friend a favor. Kinda. Sorta. Ish.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Lets bring back shoe chat now that someone realized my "black nonslip shoes" are actually "black nonslip combat boots" and I need to buy some.

:D :D :D SHOECHAT!!! WOOOOOOOOOO! :derp:

I got new shoes today! They're black leather high top steel toed bitches on wheels (figuratively, that'd be dope if they were those wheelie sneakers though) and I got new insoles for my new shoes and everything! These shoes rule! My old shoes have 9 months of asskicking on them and don't owe me a thing but the leather is in tatters where it is not otherwise worn paper thin! Those shoes suck! My new shoes have great ankle control and lace up real nice with a satisfying swishy motion which is not important really and yet! They also have tons of toe room where my other shoes were a little cramped and made unsightly chafing marks after a few consecutive 14 hour days 'round about the holidays! Let's party!

pr0k posted:

Oh, nevermind me then. I have small-kitchen bias.

IME small kitchens own except for the part where people who tend to purchase small restaurants try to run them, and then, well, *flails arms wildly*

Doesn't work like that in a corporate hotel. The bartender/server is just a dickhead and only cares about their tip. We've got some lifer servers that make 10-12/hr, plus 150-250 in tips most days, and they'll still sell breakfast after noon, and lunch before ten. Never do a drat thing for you, but god forbid you don't want/have time to make hollandaise and get out the breakfast prep for that one hungover guy they told could definitely have a benedict at 1:30PM.

I'd bend over backwards for any order if I got a beer out of it, most times I don't even get a thankyou.

Q: How many servers does it take to look at a cook break down the buffet line with no covers in the house?

A: One to watch, two to supervise.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The irony of shoechat is the only correct answer is "crocs. yes. those crocs. seriously."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

Allow me to impart the age old wisdom passed down to me by my mentor on the occasion of my first kitchen promotion:

DONT gently caress UP!

Wait what?

OH GODDAMMIT IVE BEEN DOING IT WRONG FOR YEARS

(congrats general! Just remember: for every time you're tasked to mince 50 pounds of onions, you'll get a time to chiffonade a flat of basil. Shortly before you'll be tasked to mince another 100 pounds of onions. Time is a wheel, watch True Detective for more info. That bump from pit to prep is a good'un, no doubt.)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
While I was expecting a few changes moving to a red state, it turned my goddamned stomach to see so many people in fancy dress binge on fine food and drink off a special buffet line in celebration of Adolph Hitler's birthday. Today's service was a trial of liberal tolerance.

fuckin' texans, man

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am clownishly earnest in all things except for this post and the post immediately before it.

They were, in fact, celebrating the international weed holiday in their Sunday best.

I mean, it is still Austin, so,

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Nah, that wasn't griping, just being silly.

The service itself went really well and mostly quietly once it got set up, plus the holiday bonus pay didn't hurt either.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

So what should we call this overreaction? Charity-shaming?

Or am I missing a sarcastic/joking tone? :(

Unless Republicans works for the Highest Margin Food Service Operation In America, which as such can casually afford to comp parties of 30-40+, like, totes NBD, then yeah its earnest and incidentally factually correct as well. Its glibly mercenary at best, but that's working class America for ya.

quote:

I can feed a self-service party of 40 standing on my head and we would generate some very welcome goodwill and positive word-of-mouth in the community.

Okay keeping in mind that your boss sounds like a total rear end in other circumstances and stipulating my ignorance of your situation, the size of your locality, the (poor?) regard your restaurant is held in, etc,

That you can do it and that it would be well received isn't the issue, really. There is a big difference between "hey, boss, can we serve entree items but buffet-style at cost?" and "hey boss, I really wanna make it work with this client, maybe I could crank out a couple composed salads, braise a pork shoulder, grill some tortillas and maybe we get out from under this for no more than 125, ask for 400 settle for 350 if they press?" If a catered party isn't willing to make it work for $10 USD per individual, human person, then there's another option that will likely be in their price range, its called a picnic and it just so happens we're in the right time of year for one.

IMPORTANT SEPARATION FROM MAIN TEXT

And, homie. I'm gonna talk at you for real for a second here. I'm saying this as a freelancer who was driven into culinary at the bottom motherfucking rung by this nonsense, but: Get Paid For Working, Please. You literally, not figuratively or metaphorically but literally and in a measurably concrete sense devalue everyone in your community who does what you do by working for free. If you are posting in this thread and you do not have your Michelin stars in your eyesight right now as you read this, you are in a tax bracket where you and the people like you really cannot afford those monkeyshines. Exchange your labor creating a given product for stated wages metered as a function of time, IMHO.

Don't be part of the problem of lovely late-period capitalism, be part of the other problem, which is normally functioning idealized capitalism.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

On the other hand, once one person accepted a reduced wage for the same job in the company, the company hired everyone after him at that reduced rate (meaning that everyone after he was hired made $10K a year less than everyone before him, for doing the exact same job even with the exact same qualifications). Guess which guy got hated by everyone on the floor until the day he quit?

I don't think it's an overreaction at all - the moment you let one paying group know that they can expect to set their own price for service, they're going to start spreading your name and everyone else is going to expect the same. I get the whole idea of supporting local organizations and all, but I've seen (both first-hand and from friends in various service fields) the aftermath of doing so. "Why are you charging me full price for (product/service) when Mr. Blah at XYZ company told me you let him have the same thing at cost?", at which point your company gets accused of being ripoff artists.

So true it hurts and so transferable over so many experiences as well. Good post, poster! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mithross posted:

The owner of my restaurant is giving me $100 to quit drinking and energy drinks for a month, in what I can only assume is some sort of weird incentivized torture plan. I'm giving it a shot, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate every minute.

If your drinking registers on your boss's radar at all then, yeah, that's a thing.

energy drinks though?

What, are you like, stealing them? Drinking them from the can over food prep areas? Using them as a hangover crutch? Wha?

• Locked thread