Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mithross posted:

I'm not really upset, I tried to use the phrase "incentivized torture plan" to communicate that, but I forgot this was the internet, where people can and do complain vocally about every thing, so you had every reason to assume I was completely serious.

Speaking as the guy who made a perfectly innocuous joke or two conflating the birth of Adolf Hitler with the demeaned celebration of our savior's divine resurrection in a red state and was apparently taken kinda sorta seriously by a nonzero number of people:

I get you.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Energy drinks have got to be loving rotten for you. Cold brew coffee passed through a superbag and rounded out with simple syrup. Great for sustained energy and not so acidic you give yourself an ulcer.

At work front-house always has a hot coffee tank going and its open season for employees, but it's StarbucksTM Brand Blended Coffee Product and each morning I make Sophie's Choice between working uncaffinated and imbibing coffee themed body punishment juice to unfortunately immediate consequences.

Each day if/when the lull hits I take five to ten to poo poo and read some of the paper, and ahahahah its all in good fun but, no, seriously, but. But. BUTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also there's this insistence we use styrofoam cups, but they didn't stock lids too so technically there is no way to caffinate on the job that isn't stealing, violating company policy or violating the health code, so in summary 100% of the kitchen staff blithely violate the gently caress out of some rule or other and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a behavioral experiment put on by some kind of University research department.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Boring day, no business, clocked out, asked to grill a smash patty since I was starving to death, did it up.

The banquet sous comes in as I'm finishing my grub and ropes me into a chore or two off the clock. gently caress it, we talk we joke I pitch in with five minutes of cleaning. gently caress it, five minutes. gently caress it.

Then he says "get sunday brunch cold items squared away on saturday so you can do hot items sunday morning, also if it gets busy you should be running too. I'm manager-on-duty that day but I won't be there much"

HOOOOKAY theres a lot going on there but: I don't know what you think the combination of words manager-on-duty means, friend, but it does connotate physical loving presence. I mean, we're gonna be dead that day fine whatever but on the other hand we're gonna be dead that day. Braising a butt and slicing some skirt and chicken for fajitas is your one loving guaranteed culinary act that day and you just delegated it to the garde manger so you can gently caress off and watch the world cup at the bar while flirting with the barely legal teens we get to staff it. I want to watch the world cup at the bar. gently caress you, kid! You're salaried at almost double what I make and do nothing! gently caress you! :tizzy:

I have never been more glad there's a 100% full court press to get this dude fired for cause ASAP.

BOY I SURE AM GLAD there's some kind of celebration of something or other going on outside. Time to join it.

e; no world cup on sunday. maybe he'll just watch tv for a bit.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 5, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Uncle Lizard posted:

I really like it when they make you do inventory, but they act like it's a treat for you. Like its some sort of promotion, without a pay increase or title. "We're going to LET you do inventory today".

ohmygod yes, that's how he says it exactly! Hey Willie, I'm gonna do you a favor, you get to do my job for a day! Isn't that cool?! :haw:

and my choices are either be rankly lovely and insuboordinate, or act like a five year old stoked that we're gonna play The Pioneer Game where we clear the sticks and brush off the yard into a pile. And I can do the job just fine! It's not like its a ton of work or anything, but man, the attitude behind it from a guy who makes so much more money just agitates the gently caress out of my brain snakes. If I had any tolerance whatsoever for that flavor of poo poo I wouldn't be in culinary.

It won't last forever but getting over this dude is like passing a goddamned kidney stone.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Republicans posted:

Anyone got any tips on helping a restaurant die with dignity?

No, because there are none. Update your resume and get at least two references in order for your upcoming job hunt. Condolences. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

That's pretty common coming out of schools in the US, especially the more predatory for-profit ones. I've seen a ton of people come out with degrees and great enthusiasm only to leave the industry permanently six months later because they can't handle the stress and being constantly broke.

Fixed for every degree that isn't CS, engineering, or nursing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

poo poo, that sounds like a vacation compared to my temp agency factory job which was basically that with constant heavy lifting and I did ok there. What about the potential for advancing to a cook position?

Can I get a prep cook job with no restaurant experience?

If you can dice a 5 gallon bucket of potatoes for home fries sometime this morning without chopping a finger off, you're basically good to go as a prep cook. Prep cook is a monotonous loving job but there's much worse things than monotony and if you've been temping at factories and/or warehouses then you've seen/felt a couple of them. Honestly some of my favorite culinary times have been with a knife, a disgustingly large pile of raw product, a neatly curated soundtrack and my poo poo completely free of people up in it.

Dish pit... depends. There's dish pits and there's dish pits. Dish at an AM/Lunch cafe seating 70 tops? Neat! Scrub those teeny rear end plates! Dish at a hotel whose food and bev reciepts get into the millions? If it offered $25/hr with full benefits and annual raises I'd have to think about it. I might do it if they threw in a company car. Maybe.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Enthusiasm at eating skeletal muscle but reluctance to eat smooth muscle is one of those Things that, when you poke it a little, begins to reveal that pretty much none of Anglo-American culture makes any loving sense at all.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Annath posted:

As someone who doesn't work in the food industry, I gotta say I love that you included "showing up to work on time" in the list of things that provide value to the business.

You haven't lived until the PM lead heads out but stays on call, then you get half the city in for tapas and when you call she doesn't pick up on account of having asserted her civil rights while in someone else's car with a quarter-pound of weed in the trunk. And you don't find out what happens for three days because they take away your phone when you get sent to holding, even if you're only in holding for ten minutes before getting sent to county for the weekend.

That was a fun service. :)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Naelyan posted:

It's either whistling, singing, or farting.

Or movie quotes.

From Sichuan province to the foothills of Lyon to the blighted wastes of Topeka, Super Troopers is the Rosetta Stone of international culinary culture proving that wherever you go; there you are.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The eldritch and twisted sceience of modern man has gone too far and finally achieved the impossible: a front-house/room service manager so bubbly and manic and chatty that even the horndog kitchen manager-cum-cum-cum-sous wannabe can't even muster a decent flirt at her.

Now that this abomination in the eyes of God has been accomplished, I kinda wanna clone this chick and spread 500 of her simulacra all over the property. Kitchen productivity would increase 10,000% from one week to the next!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 14, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Dinner was boring until around 11pm when the other cook on the line started teetering around and fumbling with plates and platings and tools. I took over and he took five, then ten, then thirty as he got increasingly dizzy and having trouble speaking when he tried to come back and--here's where it gets actually scary-- kinda senile. Stuff like seeing me finish off a taco plate and pull the ticket, so he throws down tortillas for the tacos that just went out. Getting a ticket for kids chicken tenders and firing a full plate of wings instead. He wasn't drunk and he wasn't high, it wasn't that kinda cutesey doopy forgetfulness. poo poo that shoulda just flowed from muscle memory, and that I have personally seen flow from his muscle memory in a few different mental states now, was all kinds of hosed up and not working. I offered to cover for him and thats the story of how I wound up pulling a double through third shift.

I've seen that symptom combo firsthand only once before IRL. They were having a stroke. I really, really hope the guy is okay. He refused to go to the hospital on account of not being able to afford bankruptcy and the manager on duty was all "well whattaya gonna do, twist his arm?" and... I mean, he wasn't wrong I guess... :(

Tender Child Loins posted:

Thomas Keller just called me on my cell to invite me to cook at a competition at Bouchon. I can finally die in peace.*

*But not until I destroy the competition.

People say "congratulations" for any dumb old thing these days so instead please accept this video to be played through your earbuds while setting up your mise before the big event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

Good luck!!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 20, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Good news: He's not dead! I'm still convinced he has high blood pressure but whatever, I'm not the guy's dad.

What was dead was our restaurant on account of everyone being in the streets for Pride Week(end) and since I worked third shift that morning got a half day that evening. I actually had to fight to make my second plate of the day just so I could justify waking up and crawling in to the kitchen.

No workplace fatalities, and easy day that's 50% shorter than normal? awwww yeah, its Miller Time baby.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Awwwww yeaahhhh boyyyyyy! I'm hacking up alarmingly orange sputum, can't stay on my feet for more than a minute or so without getting so dizzy I have to sit, we're like five people short in the kitchen and I'm needed tomorrow morning for a capacity breakfast service! Time to play the game that's sweeping the nation: Bosses try to guilt you into coming in and being a giant loving lawsuit while I take my first sick day in a year and a half, or otherwise get the bosses to say in writing "I know you are sick, come in anyway"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Radio Help posted:

If your boss doesn't realize how incredibly bad it is for business to have a visibly sick person in a BOH position, then his/her business isn't going to last long, anyways. gently caress em. Stay home and eat pho.

edit: I say this knowing full well how exploitative BOH management can be. If you have the insurance for it, go to an urgent care facility and have one of the LPNs or docs write you a "yeah you're too sick to work" note. Covers your rear end in case they try to fire you for it.

The baller thing about institutional/corporate cooking is that this really isn't a concern. Even though kitchens are a world of their own, when they're part of a 1000+ organization that level of caprice really isn't a Thing.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work,

couple things here, a) i suck at telling Chef "no" at the best of times which is probably a good habit on balance and b) I had to do it with fever delerium and a head packed to bursting with DXM and sleep aids.

"serious? you're killing me, willie" OH GOD NO, CHEF. PLEASE DONT DIE. I DIDN'T MEAN IT WELL I DID BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS GOING FOR

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lurker1981 posted:

Yeah, gently caress those people who want to succeed.

You want to succeed, so in making a good first impression in industrythread your immediate act is naturally trying to rip on one of the most experienced and insightful voices in it over poo poo they definitely did not say.

Best wishes in your future endeavors, and good luck with your career.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Radio Help posted:

Nobody in the Stateside kitchen world gets paid what they're worth unless they're in an institutional setting.

Arguably not even then. I'll bust dish in smaller places no problem, but I've never seen a dishpit get whomped like at a capacity hotel doing 250+ cover banquet services.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm interested in pursuing culinary arts as a career. It's what I've always wanted to do, and now I have the option to do so. I know it will be difficult, but I've decided that it will be worth the experience if anything and it's something I am passionate about.

That being said, I live in NYC

lmao you have not thought this through at all and the real world is not big on second chances IME

Reiz posted:

If you want to work at a restaurant where the dishwashers bust out centimeter perfect 1/8" julienne for garnishes and you get laughed out of the building if you don't know how to pronounce "Chiffonade", "Accoutrement", or don't know what a "Coulis" is, probably take it seriously and spend money going to culinary school for the opportunity to maybe, if you're lucky, work an unpaid 6 month stage at <fancy restaurant>.

If you want to work literally anywhere else - get a job as a dishwasher and see where it takes you.

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, go wash a dish unless someone is paying for culinary school out of their pocket for you.

This is what you "want" to do, even if you don't know it yet.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"I have a strong passion for delicious food!" --100% of people whom require food to survive

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There's this lovely chick who works PM room service and occasionally tries to banter with us along the lines of "well I have a degree in Culinary Studies so I can throw down" but she's got a sense of humor about it so whatever.

One day I'm in Lime Juice Limbo prepspace and she says "oh hey I have a great trick for that, you put them in boiling water for about thirty seconds and..."

and I don't know what she said after that, because I could only give her a *look* shortly before a thin red froth began leaking from the corners of my mouth because in the middle of getting ready to get blitzed for a concert weekend where we need doubles of everything this otherwise great person of many redeeming qualitites said with a totally straight motherfucking face that when squeezing a goddamned lime, step one was to bring water to a boil.

This is your "don't go to culinary school" memo for October 7, 2014.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lime juice for the bar? I would be loving pissed if I found out my barback had boiled my limes. Majorly affect the flavor.

Equally as bad: for sauces, dressings, purees and such.

You NEED that acid kickin' for avocado puree, dawg. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

dunno, just my two cents. finding a balance between doing what you want to do, and not getting completely shat on by capitalism is a very hard thing.

Wisdom. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Already typed out "seltzer and lime" looked back up to finish reading your post and, yes, you'd already figured that one out. That's basically The Drink unless you like spicy drinks *spits* in which case, as also mentioned ginger and cayenne's the way to go.

One place I worked at had the door open in the kitchen to the backdoor of the building for "airflow" (because the hoods didn't work because why would you observe basic safety when you can bribe any regulators with coke? Don't Mess With Texas, Y'all) and so the flies and bees would come in for a sniff of our fine selection of daily ceviches and a very interesting thing would happen: They'd start making slow, lazy circles away from the food and descend to the floor or a prep surface, land, and after about ten minutes or so flop over belly-up. Turns out wasps and flies and such die at 117 degrees fahrenheit. The inside of that kitchen was north of 120 in summer. Hibiscus tea in lime and seltzer are the only things I credit to making it out of that shithole alive.

While its probably better for your workflow to do simple syrup what with your bar outlet, we found through testing and received Mexican Folk Wisdom (read: one of the old cooks long since moved on) that the death-avoiding effects were enhanced by just making a really thorough extraction of the petals in a Stupid Strong TeaTM, and then sweetening to taste after erring on the side of less. It won't slot into a cocktail like a simple syrup, but it's a goddamned health food in its own right if you live in any part of the world where heat stroke is a concern, ever.

Hibiscus vinaigrette is legit on salads (esp. julinenne salads imo), and hibiscus sorbet is worth doing murders for in summer but we're just sliding out of the weather for that as a slam dunk menu option. If you're braising a protein in red wine throw hibiscus into the sachet as well and then waft the smells into the dining room with a comically oversized fan for good cooking, free advertising of your special, and bonus showmanship which you cannot overlook as an entrepreneur.

Hibiscus is a bitter rear end in a top hat alone that's mostly aroma and lifesaving alkaloids, but as long as you have a strategy to work around its preposterous bitterness whether its a shitload of sugar or acid or effervescence its a slam dunk aromatic that'll also regionalize the gently caress out of your business in a really classy-but-not-snotty way.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The dude who came in to be the new line sous hosed the dog by acting like a diva and doofing up some pretty basic poo poo (ohmygod just learn this line. stop talking about your time in fine dining, if it was that fine then executing this really well shouldn't be so hard. stop flirting with the hostess you dingus and do work) and will probably be around to see a new guy transferring in get put into sous in his place, and tonight I learned the servers hate him so loving much that they've gone out of their way to avoid selling his specials. We lost Mucha Dinero on NY strip brought in for special entrees that didn't move because the servers stayed mum as a passive aggressive response to him making such outlandish demands as "pull your tickets" and "punch your tickets in right" and "take this food out of the window, TIA"

I haven't had to deal with this much utterly easily avoided drama since high school and I'm just trying to find a point in the chain of command to have a Talking about this for some impromptu group therapy because unlike high school I don't think this is solvable by getting the rich kids hooked on coke with the cut washed out.

OR IS IT?!?!?! :getin:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kenning posted:

Who buys a premium-priced protein to run as a special? Unless you're demo-ing a new menu item I guess.

I believe that was kinda sorta the intent, but that requires a lot of paperwork that would make that notion, how you say, silly? And we already have a ribeye on the menu? Maybe they just wanted a flashy showcase just to see what front-house could move, but thats a lot of money to do that considering we ran it for only a night! Anyway done's done and literally everyone is to blame and its all kinda vaguely pathetic but cute like the ending to Hamlet performed by a cast of three legged puppies who hadn't read the script. Whuteva...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dummies, mostly :v:

Oh god you have unknowingly leveraged Inside Humor to say the most godshittingly funny thing. It's a sign... its a sign...

Congratulations on the new management! Nothing hurts like being under the thumb of a sous or chef who doesn't bring it.

Sir Spaniard posted:

What's up with sous chefs that say stuff like 'head chef is so lazy' and 'I'm too good for this place' even though he couldn't even make napoli sauce to save his life. He was putting ketchup in it by the gallon.

E: and it was 50% water when he'd pull it off the flame too.
:c

Insecurity, with often rightful basis.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 20, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There's a young girl who bumbled her way out of a four year hospitality program at some out of state school and into a management position at our property. It is excruciatingly obvious to everyone that this is her first grown-up job and despite the nice clothes she gets to wear it's food service with all that entails.

Today we ran the bacon-stretcher gag on her.

She was missing for twenty-five minutes and came back upstairs trembling because she couldn't find the lightswitch in the purchasing office.

Four. Years. Of college.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
One of the sousesesesessses' at work lent me a copy of Ratio and I can confirm it's fantastic. I'm also poking slowly, slowly, oh so slowly, through The Modernist Cuisine which'll give you the scientific once over on all manner of bread and sweet and incidentally every other loving edible substance known to mankind in the last 6,000 years.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The People know what the People want and the People wanna eat cum, yo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Sadly where I live, IT Jobs are sorta this lovely no matter the place unless you know programming and I am terrible at that.

Edit: I will look into bakeries around here, I plan on moving for the sake of my fiancee soon but yeah.

it is easier to get better at programming than at culinary, hope this helps.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Code and planning is hard, boring, difficult to work with and tedious, been thinking about volume baking! Also, health insurance is still pretty expensive, time to cut out my gallbladder with a butter knife and wear it on my face like a clown nose!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Stuff the crust of your eight-meats alfredo pizza with ranch seasoned hollendaise that sets in baking, serve with a complimentary side shot of bacon aioli and a business card with the phone #'s of at least three reputable local cardiologists.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thoht posted:

So I'm in Seattle and thinking I want to try getting into the hotel side of things and I'd really like to do so in the next couple of months. I'm wondering if you all know if this would be a bad time of year to be trying or if that even matters that much. If I have to I can tough it out through 'til spring where I'm at but I'd rather not.

Now is a perfect time to jump in! If you make it in time for the holiday rush its a good chance to prove yourself and even if you don't then, generally speaking, big corporations do their "restructuring" shortly after the new year anyway.

Radio Help posted:

They're having a bookkeeper keep track of the numbers, and I suggested that maybe this person is accidentally factoring in durable goods into food cost but I have no real way of knowing if that's what's going on. This is my first time working in a bar scenario and I'm not doing the paperwork myself, so I'm at a loss. Any suggestions on where I should be looking?

Whether it's because they goofed on one of the most vital statistics in a food service business, or because they accurately parsed some really fuckin' critical information that they probably all have written down in one place, a friendly chat with that there bookkeeper is Priority #1A.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hauki posted:

Quail eggs are still like dirt cheap though.

Emu it is, then :twisted:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm gonna collate all my family meal/leftover surprise munchies, wraps, apps and plates and use them to open a pan-ethnic food truck called The Jewish Mother where all the names of the food are incredibly cryptic and never described beyond "You'll like it, its great!" unless its vegetarian in which case "ITS GOOD FOR YOU, EAT IT!"

Employees will be instructed to meet all orders below ten dollars with a minimum twenty seconds heckling along the lines of "Look at you, you're skin and bones! I worry! How are you going to meet a nice girl/boy and settle down without a good meal in you? Here's a ramekin of broth, you give it a smell, you're gonna get hungry, I've seen this, I know this."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

I'm sitting in my office with nothing to do. Management is so boring. But hey, at least I get paid $14/hr to do it!

Take some of our business! Please!

Below the executive I'm caught between two managers who don't do shitall. One of them is a tottering old FOH manager who only got the job through malign sorcery because it sure as poo poo wasn't any actual qualification. We'll be sixteen loving tickets deep and he'll walk up "Do you have the soup? Is this salmon salad for the bar? Have you seen Eduardo? We have... ah... three... no, yes, yes, no three--four! two, yes, two ribeye? Do we have it? Do we have the ribeye?"motherfucker we are cooking here. You do your job. Do that job. We cook and you manage the restaurant. Thank.

It's gotten so bad that servers are taking the (entirely reasonable, from their subjectivity) action of pushing tickets around on the rail to try and salvage heavy drop times and... ugh. Time To Write a Sternly Worded EmailTM

Then there's the "sous" who's more of a "sans". He's actually at his worst when we're slow, because he uses those times to flounce around the kitchen flirting and whining about how bored he is while I take on flying around like a dervish doing all the poo poo that needs done. Because--and please, y'all correct me if I'm off base here--but I was led to believe that in the slow times, that's when you get prepped up for the nutty times so the nutty times are an exercise in applying heat and sound platings to your ample prep.

And yesterday I'm told that the guy who I had to cover his overnight shift b/c he eyeballed a loving Xanax and almost faceplanted on the line is going to be the new PM lead, and hey, what do you think about being the new graveyard guy?

I think it's poo poo, friends! I think I'm not going to be doing that at all, actually!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You know who taught me not to eyeball a loving benzo? A seventeen year old crackhead in Burlington, VT name of Jay Kwest. Actual, christian name, I poo poo you not. We called him Questo. Questo would binge and stay up for two days programming homebrew DDR levels for his raps, but even he knew not to just "feel out" the dose on a mystery benzo. You know who doesn't know not to do that? My new boss. Pretty cool stuff, yo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

That 'sous' is going to be fired in 90 days, FYI. And then Scott's going to beg me to come back.

Knowing is not believing, friend.

Tonight that dingus threw up a dinner service with 48% occupancy on the property because in the last two days he has done no prep whatsoever, and I'm only one dude who leans on public transit and doesn't have the luxury of chillin 3 hours late to do what should have already been done that day. I don't care who you are, whether you work in a cafe or the MGM Grand, or what, if the ticket printer is fritzy or the oven is kicking out and back in and you gotta use a backup oven off the line, if the house is half full you do not get weeded. That's a loving stupid thing.

It could have been mitigated with a manager turning on Full Stalin Expo Mode, but we had to drag the other dingus out from wherever he was hiding and tell him, as line cooks, "hey, we need you here to direct traffic" so he turned in his most banner performance yet and just stood there. Staring. Silent. Looking back and forth at the proceedings, saying nothing for twenty minutes then tottering away.

Then I get left 30 minutes before the last bus to clean up, pack up, and put away the most hosed line on the third coast, and then get told 10 minutes before my cutoff point that some room service items were taken to the wrong outlets and now I have to unpack the mise and refire while the Lost and Dispossessed of Myanmar are mutely scrubbing away heedless of the proceedings with nobody able to concisely communicate "hey duder, wait ten on the grill brick okay?" all of which came dangerously close to a confrontation between me and the harried and hassled room service lady before we both took a step away and realized we were only butting heads because we were both doing our jobs plus the actual work of management. So we limped over the end of the service, grabbed a drink together, shot the poo poo, became fast friends, I briefly quit quitting smoking, then quit smoking again, bummed a ride from her, came home and made this post.

In summary: culinary is a place for friends and dinguses. Sometimes they're the same, and sometimes the dingus is actually oneself!

Also I'm not working graveyard ever, so that's pretty swell!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus what's with all the benzos? Just do cocaine like a respectable chef. Less likely to fall asleep and face plant into the fryer.

"hey bro sometime you gotta get your head right, y'know? and what its like 2mg, 4mg, whatever right? thats not a lot of mg. i'm like a million mg. teh. Teh. TEH"

For serious though, homie almost did faceplant into the deep fryer after firing the wrong stuff into it, so... actually yeah it was pretty dire.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JawKnee posted:

Sounds like an excellent way to make enemies behind the line

oh is it ever.

Say what you will about the benzo guy, that once incident aside he and I are a loving rock solid team who get the plates in the loving window, brainstorm ideas to execute quickly and gracefully, and generally leave the place not-pitted with a tastefully sparse lowboard at the end of service and my bitching aside his bump to PM lead is pretty legit on that basis. Also once he moves on to better things its likely gonna be me in that dinner lead slot which is cool.

Heya remember this post?

Vegetable Melange posted:

Until any one of these freaky service bots does more than 48 overnights in a two month period near the holidays, realizes they can't have meaningful relationships outside of the business, and begins to show up in shorter and shorter skirts whenever she needs an actual favor from the BoH...then just regular favors...

The inevitable degradation of man by men; isn't that what service is all about?

You fuckin' called it, friendo. Seriously, scarily prescient. :)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Pretty sure that "sternly worded email" I was talking about earlier just 86'd a dude's career in food service.
                                                               /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Did he torch his loving phone before going on vacation? Is his vacation a seven year retreat to the Lhasan hinterlands seeking enlightenment free of material constraint?

Sometimes you have to pick up some slack. This is the case everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRg9GPfFgE

• Locked thread