Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
So my old head chef called my new place looking for me and to badmouth me to my new boss. Some one posted an ad on craigslist to not work at my old place because the owner/chef will gently caress with your hours and credit card tip amounts and a bunch of other stuff. He thought it was me even though the thing was mostly about FOH stuff. He called her to warn her that I would make up things on the internet if I didn't get my way. He then asked my boss a bunch of personal questions about me and then about her and her business. In summation, my old boss has gone completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

Delicious Sci Fi Well, know you're going to find out a lot about your new boss by how she reacts to that crap.

He already has a rep as being a crazy person and that pretty much cemented his status as a crazy person to my boss. She told me about it and asked if I needed any help dealing with him and that she asked him not to call back. I told her no and then we laughed about how crazy he is.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

iphone/ipod right now and lately we've been listening to Gogol Bordello radio on Pandora and then switching to Tom Waits radio when it gets towards closing.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Morbid Fiesta posted:

So, my 60 day review for my new job is on Monday and unless I show up drunk and stab somebody I'm guaranteed a raise. I've taken over as the Garde Manger and after service last night the chef mentioned the strong possibly of offering me a salaried position during my review.

The rub being that I'd have to quit my other, formerly full time kitchen job. I stayed on part time to open a day or two a week since I like most of the staff and getting half off at the bar never hurts. But I'm more than okay with putting in my notice.

I'm just not sure what a good baseline would be for working on salary, since I'd be putting in on average 65 hours a week. I live in PA, and was wondering if I'd be making a mistake going on salary depending on their offer and what are the substantial differences between working on salary versus hourly?

Take what you'll be making after the raise and calculate how much you'll make per pay period at 65 hours a week. Turn that amount into an annual amount and ask for more than whatever that amount is. Other contributing factors would be if you get extra PTO or benefits for being a salaried employee instead of a hourly dude.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Worked all three days at the restaurant during Raleigh's annual music festival, Hopscotch, and made around 400 tacos during those three days. That is approximately 398 more tacos than I have ever made in a restaurant before. They were our best seller by far and are good enough they are probably going to go on the regular menu. They were a Korean pork taco that had pork in a korean bbq/chipolte glaze, pickled onions, pickled bok choy, jimica with lime juice and some spices I forget and greens and cilantro. We did almost 1000 people in those three days which is a lot for us.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's hard here too. I couldn't find a job sucking dick if I tried, and I'm in San Francisco.

Well there's probably a lot of people out there better at it than you.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

I get 4 days off, today through christmas because my manager is tired of paying me a bunch of money in overtime. I'm gonna get drunk and make poor online gift purchasing decisions.

Also I love me some overtime money right before christmas.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Ughhhh. The new Sous chef is kinda being crazy and trying to establish dominance or something. I got yelled at today when a co-worker asked me how to do something, I told him the way I did it, and the sous sees him doing it, yells at him he is doing wrong and then yells at me for going behind her back since I told him what to do and stormed off. The Owner/exec came in a couple of minutes later and talked with me and asked me to stop undermining the new sous. I told the Exec that all I did was answer a question and wasn't trying to do anything to the new sous. The Exec seemed like she understood and said i didn't do anything wrong but just direct anyone asking questions to the Sous which I agreed to do.

The new sous hasn't been very popular due to her lack of cleaning or prepping of anything and pawning off work, so it seems like she is going to go the loud and angry route to try and get respect.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

We have a 32 top tomorrow and a guy working the line that has only worked like 4 shifts and is totally lovely. We are gonna get blown up and chef is gonna freak.

We also had a dude leave a Yelp review where he claimed that we served him pork shoulder instead of pork belly. While at the restaurant that night, he asked if he could have pork belly on something else besides the dish it is served on. Got huffy when the manager said no and then got super huffy when, after he ordered the pork belly, it wasn't crisped and sliced. We just braise it and send it out warmed in the braising liquid.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

My boss just informed me that he's pretty close to closing on a contract that'll triple our overnight production and delivery numbers.

My liver nearly quit in protest.

You are going to become 80% whiskey.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Got absolutely dominated tonight when a bunch of tickets came in at once and just destroyed us for 2 1/2 hours. I think our long ticket time was 40 minutes when the flat top guy forgot to fire a couple things. Not a good night.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

ughhh got dominated tonight as the guy running saute called in (for the 3rd week in a row on tues) and everyone came out to eat tonight because of the nice weather. It was not fun running two stations all night and getting yelled at by expo for being behind. luckily that dude isn't gonna be calling in anymore and we got another person coming in next week.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Hauki posted:

Danskos are definitely the most comfortable for me but I wish the loving soles weren't so thick. I feel like I'm tottering around on platforms or some poo poo. I have a really nice pair of birki clogs as well that I tend to prefer just because of the thinner sole even though the fit is a bit worse.

I love the pair of berkis I got but I've always like wearing clogs and the slightly too large fit feel nice. I was wearing crocs but the inserts on the soles kept falling out after like 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Thoht posted:

My guess is he means the nonslip pads glued to the bottom of the sole, which do indeed start coming off eventually but hey, pretty much any shoe is gonna get busted eventually in this line of work.

That is what I mean

• Locked thread