Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cats
May 11, 2009
Jumping in on this thread - I'm about to accept a job offer near Boston starting in mid-February - tell me where to live (cheaply)!

The job's actually in Norwood, but I'd like to live closer to/in the city, I think. It's my first real job out of college, I'm just starting to put a tentative budget together but I think I'll be able to afford a max monthly rent of ~$900? Obviously the cheaper the better though. Can I find places for ~$600-700? I'd be looking a one-bedroom or maybe a two-bedroom apartment and find a roommate at some point, not too crazy about moving into an existing living situation. The HR lady suggested looking at Brookline, Newton, and South End, and also Quincy, Sharon, Easton, Norwood, Westwood, Medfield, Millis, Canton. I think that second list is mostly suburby, right? Not sure I'm into that.

Uhh what else? I'm 23, female, living near Chicago right now so I'm used to cold and misery. I'll have a car but I'd like to be near public transport (if it's good in Boston) and nightlife things. I don't want a super long commute. 40 minutes MAX. Which way does the traffic usually go in the mornings/evenings? Like, if I'll be working south of the city and living/near the city, would I be going with or against traffic in my commute?

Thanks!

cats fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cats
May 11, 2009

Riptor posted:

Your HR lady doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. The first three places she recommended are some of the most expensive in the area, and the others are wayyyy suburby and not at all what you're probably looking for.

EDIT: except Quincy. That might work for you

Yeah to be fair to her she's located at the company corporate headquarters here in IL, and the second list was from someone at the Norwood location but I'm assuming it was a real adult person who could afford these things. Upon revisiting my budget I can max out at about $1200/mo for rent. Affordable, but not preferable.

cats fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 26, 2013

• Locked thread