Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A lot of it is in her control, by the end of the season you're supposed to have the distinct impression that Piper is one the more horrible people in the prison.

Android Blues posted:

I think this is totally wrong, honestly. Alex is the one who says this; Alex is a selfish, manipulative monster who lies to Piper and puts her down as a method of keeping control. She says this specifically to sabotage Piper's chances at reunion with Larry, because, again, she's selfish and bitter. Piper's not an absolute saint but taking Alex's word as gospel re: her character development is a misreading imo.
This is a situation where I am pretty sure the truth is in the middle. Alex openly admits to being very good at manipulating young, rich, rebellious girls to be drug mules, but claims her relationship with Piper was different. Piper claims that she was manipulated/controlled by Alex, but appears to be self centered and quite manipulative herself.

In my opinion they are both manipulative and selfish. The whole relationship, as we see it now, is two sociopaths trying to make the other see herself as the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

computer parts posted:

If we hadn't had the scene where Piper literally goes "oh your mom died? well, I'm still leaving cya" then you might have a point.

She was in a manipulated into a dangerous situation that she did not want to be in, every further moment she was there exposed her to more risk there wasn't a single reason she should of stayed there.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

computer parts posted:

If we hadn't had the scene where Piper literally goes "oh your mom died? well, I'm still leaving cya" then you might have a point.

I had the complete opposite reaction to that scene. Alex had just hidden Piper's plane ticket to try and force her to stay. When that scheme failed, she used her own mother's death as a last-ditch effort to guilt trip Piper into staying. That's crazy manipulative behavior. Piper was right to leave.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bass Bottles posted:

I had the complete opposite reaction to that scene. Alex had just hidden Piper's plane ticket to try and force her to stay. When that scheme failed, she used her own mother's death as a last-ditch effort to guilt trip Piper into staying. That's crazy manipulative behavior. Piper was right to leave.

I'm 100% with you, even though her mom did die, Alex is a manipulative gently caress and Piper was completely right to get as far away as possible.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Avoiding reading the thread for spoilers since I'm only a few episodes in, but has there been any sort of mea culpa that Jenji Kohan has pulled for basically half of Weeds being an unwatchable pile of garbage?

All the ads I've seen are sure to mention Jenji/Weeds' first few seasons but ignoring where it went to poo poo. I actually like most of the show so far but I feel like I'm giving Veena Sud another chance to just throw battery acid in my face.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Midnight City posted:

Avoiding reading the thread for spoilers since I'm only a few episodes in, but has there been any sort of mea culpa that Jenji Kohan has pulled for basically half of Weeds being an unwatchable pile of garbage?

All the ads I've seen are sure to mention Jenji/Weeds' first few seasons but ignoring where it went to poo poo. I actually like most of the show so far but I feel like I'm giving Veena Sud another chance to just throw battery acid in my face.

All of season 1 is pretty great, it could certainly jump the shark and is sort of looking like it will come season 2 but you won't go wrong here man. :)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All shows have potential to turn to poo poo after a great first season. Even the beginning of Weeds was great.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

All shows have potential to turn to poo poo after a great first season. Even the beginning of Weeds was great.

just remember Heroes. I actually love that show just because it jumps the shark, and it loving keeps going. Like, you think it can't possibly get worse, boom, ancient japan, boom, alternate timelines.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Has anyone else been watching Wentworth? It hits some similar themes to OitNB.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

computer parts posted:

Alex is trying to guilt Piper into staying with her in that scene. She literally hides Piper's plane ticket. That isn't healthy, okay behaviour; she's trying to use her personal tragedy to force Piper to be her girlfriend forever, even though Piper has real, pressing reasons to leave the relationship (see: Alex's disregard for her personal safety and attempts to groom her for international drug trade). Frankly with how often and how manipulatively Alex lies to Piper to get what she wants, I wouldn't be surprised if she was lying about her mom dying in a last-ditch effort to make Piper stay.

But that's not the point; even if Alex's grief is real, she attempts to use it as a bludgeon to guilt Piper into doing what she wants. She attempts to turn Piper into the villain for leaving, as if the good person thing to do would be to stay with Alex because, even though she hurts you and you don't want to be with her, she'd be sad if you left.

Basically Alex's behaviour, up to and including painting Piper as a villainous evil selfish person, is textbook abusive relationship stuff. It serves her interests to destroy Piper's self-esteem because then she's more likely to turn to Alex for comfort, and less likely to blame Alex for the (many) things Alex actually did wrong.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The first half of the season started pretty well, the last half is Weeds 2.0.

Jenji Kohan's weird as poo poo fetish with Christianity is nauseating. And I say this as a non-Christian. Weeds had a lot of really transparent Christianity bashing bullshit too. I could handle it if she was actually deconstructing the harmful beliefs system in a clever or interesting way but every single joke is basically superficial DURR CHRISTIANS.

The guard situation started off pretty well, it showed you how one super lovely guard could manage to do a lot of harm, too bad Jenji Kohan is incapable of not turning things up to 11 and by the end of the season we have almost every guard being a rapist, drug dealer, money embezzler or attempted murderer.

It really is Weeds 2.0, they both started off as dramedies based on a privileged white woman who quickly turns completely unlikable, then forgot the show was supposed to be part comedy as 90% of the episode spends its time constantly increasing in levels of stupidity. Nobody to blame but myself since I knew it was Jenji Kohan who avoided all criticism of bad writing by blaming it on the viewers.

The Maroon Ninja
Sep 19, 2005

Olmeethee, Woolyaayen, Onthecanabeedum
dumbarroomdingum
You know, I thought this show was really 3/4 of the season, with awesome super strong and really well thought out and realized/acted female characters. You know, until the writer(s) decided to go an undermine it's whole premise in an episode designed to reveal the true reality and internal identity of the of the characters.

drat, so disappointing. Not even going to finish the season, wish they had "thought it through".

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Maroon Ninja posted:

You know, I thought this show was really 3/4 of the season, with awesome super strong and really well thought out and realized/acted female characters. You know, until the writer(s) decided to go an undermine it's whole premise in an episode designed to reveal the true reality and internal identity of the of the characters.

drat, so disappointing. Not even going to finish the season, wish they had "thought it through".

What episode are you talking about?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a massive bump I know, but I spent last week watching Orange is the New Black for the first time, and I just really wanted to talk about it. Season 1 was so good, and I can't wait for Season 2 to air. I was told by a friend that filming for Season 2 finished up last Friday. I really hope Netflix is getting a lot of credit for making this show too. They deserve it, because lets be honest, statistically the odds of a show with an almost all female cast, and many different female actors from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, would not exist on cable t.v.

I liked all of the characters, but my favorites were Piper, Alex, and Red. I also loved all of the background sequences that explain how each character got into prison in the first place. I liked that it left some of it open and we don't know the full stories yet. I assume Season 2 will continue those background stories.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

This is a massive bump I know, but I spent last week watching Orange is the New Black for the first time, and I just really wanted to talk about it. Season 1 was so good, and I can't wait for Season 2 to air. I was told by a friend that filming for Season 2 finished up last Friday. I really hope Netflix is getting a lot of credit for making this show too. They deserve it, because lets be honest, statistically the odds of a show with an almost all female cast, and many different female actors from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, would not exist on cable t.v.

I liked all of the characters, but my favorites were Piper, Alex, and Red. I also loved all of the background sequences that explain how each character got into prison in the first place. I liked that it left some of it open and we don't know the full stories yet. I assume Season 2 will continue those background stories.

Apparently Alex is supposed to take a much shorter role in the next season, which is lame because she's a really great character. Personally, the standouts were Crazy Eyes, Tasty, and Pousse

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Austrian mook posted:

Apparently Alex is supposed to take a much shorter role in the next season, which is lame because she's a really great character.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I never quite got the appeal. Granted, Alex put Piper in prison to start with, but since then she has had the same basic function in the show as Nichols -- a Greek chorus-type of commentator on prison life and what's going on. Except I personally like Nichols more, I think she gets better lines.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Looks like Season 2 is dropping on June 6th. I'm looking forwards to it- I started watching this show because I was sick of seeing it on my recommended list and burned through all the episodes in a weekend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Austrian mook posted:

Apparently Alex is supposed to take a much shorter role in the next season, which is lame because she's a really great character. Personally, the standouts were Crazy Eyes, Tasty, and Pousse

They worked out the contract dispute and apparently she's back to season one level relevance.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They worked out the contract dispute and apparently she's back to season one level relevance.

Really? That's great, it really wouldn't make any sense for her to just leave, and she was one of the highlights for me. This is a niche little show, and I'm really worried that they're going to gently caress it all up in season 2, but I wanna see where they go with this.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I hope there isn't a new thread for this, I have this one bookmarked.

The new episodes are out in less than a week. Hope I'm not the only one who re-watched the entire first season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been rewatching too. I still have 5 or so left to go though.

Midnight City posted:

The guard situation started off pretty well, it showed you how one super lovely guard could manage to do a lot of harm, too bad Jenji Kohan is incapable of not turning things up to 11 and by the end of the season we have almost every guard being a rapist, drug dealer, money embezzler or attempted murderer.

Wait, who other than Mendez and Healy are any of those things? The others range from being pretty decent to being not particularly nice, but none of them are disgusting, criminal lunatics (unless I'm forgetting something major in the last 5 episodes).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stereotype posted:

I hope there isn't a new thread for this, I have this one bookmarked.

I imagine there will be, as it'll be the usual 'once episode 2x01 is released, the very next post could contain a spoiler from the last 5 minutes of the season'. Yeah it's a pretty dumb, Aatrek era ruling.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

If you were still my wife I would tell you all the time how much I like yo TITTIES

Because girls like that. And that is a tip, from me to you.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, who other than Mendez and Healy are any of those things? The others range from being pretty decent to being not particularly nice, but none of them are disgusting, criminal lunatics (unless I'm forgetting something major in the last 5 episodes).

Some of the other guards are needlessly antagonistic or apathetic to prisoners issues, but yeah none of the other ones are really vindictive or exploitative.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I posted that like 8 months ago, I don't remember any of their names, there's the fat guy who hates lesbians that tries to get the main woman killed, the pedo stash guy who's flat out raping women, the other male guard who starts loving the hispanic woman who even though she initiated it it's a severe abuse of power, the warden or superintendent or whatever who's embezzling money instead of using it to support the women, didn't even the fresh eyed new woman guard end up doing some shady poo poo by the end?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Midnight City posted:

I posted that like 8 months ago, I don't remember any of their names, there's the fat guy who hates lesbians that tries to get the main woman killed, the pedo stash guy who's flat out raping women, the other male guard who starts loving the hispanic woman who even though she initiated it it's a severe abuse of power, the warden or superintendent or whatever who's embezzling money instead of using it to support the women, didn't even the fresh eyed new woman guard end up doing some shady poo poo by the end?

Yeah you could argue that all of them are dicks in some way, but I still maintain that only the first two are horrible, unsalvagable people. Yeah Bennett's doing some illegal, morally dubious poo poo, but it's more because he's a young, naive idiot than a bad person.

And I don't think Susan ends up doing anything wrong. I'll have to get back to you though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nah Susan is just all around nice the whole time.

She tries to be mean for a few episodes after Copernick (or whatever, the other mustache guy) tells her to, but she always is faux-mean at the worst possible times. Like every time she is even a little stern someone was already right on the verge of tears.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

One of her fake-stern attempts pushes Miss Claudette over the edge, but that's not exactly her fault.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Burned through this show over the last week a couple episodes a day. Was wondering what time netflix shows usually launch. June 6th right at midnight, at noon, later in the evening?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irish Joe posted:

I skipped all of Bigg's scenes, but I hate his character on principle for going on NPR.

What? Do you have some kind of problem with public service broadcasting or something? I'm confused.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

thehustler posted:

What? Do you have some kind of problem with public service broadcasting or something? I'm confused.

In other words: Republican spotted.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thehustler posted:

The problem with NPR is that it tries to hide how shallow its programming is beneath a veneer of intellectualism. The only objective difference between NPR and Fox News is that Fox News wouldn't waste precious airtime on a guy who married a convict because "his" story is not, in fact, some wonderfully twee misadventure that would make a great Zooey Deschenel movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with NPR is that it tries to hide how shallow its programming is beneath a veneer of intellectualism. The only objective difference between NPR and Fox News is that Fox News wouldn't waste precious airtime on a guy who married a convict because "his" story is not, in fact, some wonderfully twee misadventure that would make a great movie starring Zooey Deschenel.

You really skipped through an entire character's plotline in a TV drama? Is that a thing that people actually do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with NPR is that it tries to hide how shallow its programming is beneath a veneer of intellectualism.

The end is nigh, I agree with Irish Joe on something. :psyduck:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with NPR is that it tries to hide how shallow its programming is beneath a veneer of intellectualism. The only objective difference between NPR and Fox News is that Fox News wouldn't waste precious airtime on a guy who married a convict because "his" story is not, in fact, some wonderfully twee misadventure that would make a great Zooey Deschenel movie.

You realize that this show isn't a documentary filmed in real-time, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

None of this matters because Orange is the New Black didn't really happen.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I said come in! posted:

None of this matters because Orange is the New Black didn't really happen.

Well it did but not at all in the way it's being presented to us.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Well Biggs' character is pretty gross and unrelatable so I understand why people would skip his scenes if they have the option.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Well Biggs' character is pretty gross and unrelatable so I understand why people would skip his scenes if they have the option.

That's like saying 'I thought Carmella Soprano was a pretty horrible person, so I skipped those bits'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Child Loins posted:

I don't relate to any of the characters on the show and I still like them.

• Locked thread