Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently Marvel has just made a deal with Archie as well, to distribute digest comics for them

So is this a good thing? I was under the impression that the digest have been keeping the lights on for Archie all these years, I'm guessing this sounds good but don't know enough insider baseball to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Whats the likelihood of Archie: The Married Life vol 1 getting reprinted? Its been out of print for a while while the rest are available. Im sure the series was super dumb but ive always wanted to read it.

I did just read The Wedding trade, and in the spirit of the chat about old men writing teenager dialogue over in the marvel thread, Dilton proclaiming that he was going to tell everyone of the engagement by "text-blast and e-blast" them was worth it alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent_grey posted:

Whats the likelihood of Archie: The Married Life vol 1 getting reprinted? Its been out of print for a while while the rest are available. Im sure the series was super dumb but ive always wanted to read it.

I did just read The Wedding trade, and in the spirit of the chat about old men writing teenager dialogue over in the marvel thread, Dilton proclaiming that he was going to tell everyone of the engagement by "text-blast and e-blast" them was worth it alone.

As Archie's financial situation improves they are more likely to reissue popular sold out books. Just be patient.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Cool, I wasnt sure if they would more likely just focus on the new books than old (though as I type this I guess the marvel deal with the digests shows otherwise)

Let the sitting around until that drops commence.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
These are promises we've heard before, but Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is back in July with a 40-page issue, and supposedly they're already working on the two issues after that so it's not going to be long before those come out.

Where's Afterlife :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So this is a thing that's happening

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's the line. And they crossed it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NO.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If anybody can figure out a way to make it work, Paul Dini can.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If anybody can figure out a way to make it work, Paul Dini can.

So what you're saying is Mr. Lodge and Betty will gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't the Archie TV show already have him sleeping with his teacher?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't the Archie TV show already have him sleeping with his teacher?

Yep.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume, with the sheer quantity age and weirdness of Archie as a franchise, it has a rule similar to the Simpsons where it probably did EVERYTHING eventually

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

So what you're saying is Mr. Lodge and Betty will gently caress Zatanna Zatanna Zatanna Zatanna.

More accurate.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm always surprised that companies are game for these kind of crossovers. I'd have naively imagined that the IP stuff would be such a hassle to make it not worth it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I'm always surprised that companies are game for these kind of crossovers. I'd have naively imagined that the IP stuff would be such a hassle to make it not worth it.

It's literally a case of "do you have some rear end in a top hat in senior management who holds a grudge/is overprotective of the company's 'image'?" If the answer is no you can do whatever.

It doesn't hurt that companies have started to realize that people will pay any amount of money for something that has two of their favorite brands in it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

That's Bruce Timm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

That's Bruce Timm

I dunno, there was that one Batman Beyond episode that was directed by Paul Dini and they pretty strongly implied that poo poo. I think they're both way into it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

More accurate.

Veronica's wearing fishnets in this, huh?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, there was that one Batman Beyond episode that was directed by Paul Dini and they pretty strongly implied that poo poo. I think they're both way into it.

DCAU wiki is saying he never directed any episodes, do you mean written?

I know there was an episode that said they dated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes I did mean written. I remembered it as "the Paul Dini episode". It's the one with Ras, and one of the few genuinely great Beyond episodes. God I wish that show lived up to its premise more.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I assume, with the sheer quantity age and weirdness of Archie as a franchise, it has a rule similar to the Simpsons where it probably did EVERYTHING eventually

So, all those weird out of context Archie panels you see on the internet are in fact totally in context?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
With this, the last obstacle has been removed for Sonic to finally meet Batman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

With this, the last obstacle has been removed for Sonic to finally meet Batman

Already happened, assuming you count Lego.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

To be honest, Archie's done a few crossovers with various IPs over the years. Off the top of my head there's this, The Punisher, Predator, TMNT and Sonic. Am I missing anything?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 7, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Veronica's wearing fishnets in this, huh?

Nah, but the last four issues are just Zatanna and Sabrina making out. (I assume those two really will be the gimmick to facilitate the crossover, actually)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Larryb posted:

To be honest, Archie's done a few crossovers with various IPs over the years. Off the top of my head there's this, The Punisher, Predator, TMNT and Sonic. Am I missing anything?

Offhand I can think of Glee, Sharknado, KISS, The Ramones, Tiny Titans, and Barack Obama/Sarah Palin.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Does anyone know if they've canned Jughead? That was the only new Archie series I was reading (still waiting on AWA and Sabrina of course), but yeah, I can't find anything about any future issues.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's on "hiatus" which I assume is code for canned. The issue that came out a week or two ago is the last for a while.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Argue posted:

It's on "hiatus" which I assume is code for canned. The issue that came out a week or two ago is the last for a while.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you're right, but it's worth noting periodic hiatuses are much more of a thing these days. Saga in particular goes on hiatus constantly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Afterlife with Archie goes on hiatus after every issue.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Anyone read the Riverdale ongoing? I picked up the one shot and wasn't all that impressed with it, the previews seem like it's not worth the trouble.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you're right, but it's worth noting periodic hiatuses are much more of a thing these days. Saga in particular goes on hiatus constantly.

Archie comics going on hiatus is nothing like Saga's schedule breaks in publishing. Archie is still having financial problems on the publishing end and it hinders their ability to put material out in a timely manner. Saga has structured breaks in their publishing schedule because Fiona Staples can not put out 12 issues a year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been waiting on an issue of The Shield for how long now? What's that? You've never heard of The Shield? Well it's a good comic that literally comes out like once a year so I'm not surprised you've never heard of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I've been waiting on an issue of The Shield for how long now? What's that? You've never heard of The Shield? Well it's a good comic that literally comes out like once a year so I'm not surprised you've never heard of it.

LoL, keep waiting my dude. That whole line has probably been binned.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know. I just wish I could've gotten one arc at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Archie's really hurting financially right now. The stupid "WHO GONNA DIE" thing was supposed to massively bump up orders but a few retailers called their bluff so that massive sales bump isn't as big as they expected.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think it's really a bluff when the writer actually says he's not killing anyone in interviews about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't think it's really a bluff when the writer actually says he's not killing anyone in interviews about it.

Their marketing team sent out press releases to retailers saying otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I guess the disconnect between marketing and editorial isn't just a Marvel thing...

• Locked thread