Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pleasant Friend posted:

Sonic

The Sonic comic is a huge long beast that has not been very much like the game series for most of its life, but is slowly drifting towards more fidelity. A controversial series, but it has its fans. Currently undergoing strange real world legal problems with a previous writer of the comic which has resulted in a sizable bunch of the cast being left unusable. Undergoing a soft reboot after World Collides ends, with many of the characters getting big redesigns.

I remember reading that comic as a kid (from near the beginning up through like 60-something) and it amazes me that it's still going. How do they have legal issues that prevent them from using characters? You'd think that as long as Archie Comics has been around they'd have a contract that would prevent something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LateToTheParty posted:

It's not Sega causing legal problems for Archie but it is actually one of the previous writers of the Sonic comics, Ken Penders. Essentially Penders claims that he owns all the "original characters" he made for the Knuckles comics. He wanted to use those characters in a graphic novel series called the The Lara-Su Chronicles. Archie responded to this by throwing all the Echidnas besides Knuckles into another dimension.

Bringing that up gives me an excuse to post these images.

I'm still astounded that when Archie hired Ken Penders, one of the terms of the contract wasn't "btw we own everything you produce on the clock here" or something like that. I love the "throw them all into another dimension" response, though, that's hilarious.

Also, those images, wow. Someone saw himself as the Carl Barks of Knuckles McDuck the Echidna

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pleasant Friend posted:

I believe that’s from the House of Cards Arc. Where Tails fights Sonic because Tails’ parents returned from outer space to bring democracy to their new home planet through means of violent revolution, but Sonic sides with the monarchy because he’s screwing the princess. But the "real" reason Tails is pissed off at Sonic is because Sonic was dating Tails’ unrequited love interest, who turned out to be cheating on Sonic with Evil-Sonic anyway.

Pffffthahahahahaha I really hope that was the actual story because that is hilarious.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, I'm pretty sure like the first twenty issues at least are mostly light comedy. Maybe the first forty even? I remember the arc leading up to issue 50 being all ~serious business~.

The pinball machine is almost certainly a reference to a Sonic-themed pinball game that came out back then.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I like that. Reminds me of the old Mario comics from the early Nintendo Power magazines.

• Locked thread