Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

From what I understand

-Writer named Ken Penders writes the series for like 9 years and invents like 150 characters (half of which are Echindnas to give Knuckles a ridiculously bloated extended family): what's worse is that half the time the comic focuses on all these characters instead of, you know, Sonic. Penders is also one of those incredibly arrogant, self-absorbed assholes who vastly inflates his own skill and importance and creative genius. Everything wrong with fiction, really: some stories suggest Panders may be outright insane. Finally, Penders tries to pull a power play and quit the comic wanting Archie Comics to beg him to come back. Reality smacks him in the face and Penders is replaced by the far superior in talent and attitude Ian Flynn.
-Flynn spends several years cleaning up Penders' mess and generally making chicken salad out of chicken poo poo.
-Penders files a lawsuit to claim ownership of all the characters he invented. It should have been an open and shut case, except Archie Comics was so badly mismanaged in the late 90's that they'd actually lost Penders' original contract that would have said 'Anything you create belongs to us'. Without the original document, they cannot prove ownership, so Penders ends up winning and gains control of these 150 characters.
-As these characters can no longer be used in the wider Sonic comic fictional universe, they must reboot continuity to remove them all.

So yeah, it's Penders' fault.
Weren't most of them like slightly different variations of Knuckles anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm pretty nervous about the possibility of doing something very interesting with this many characters and universes.

With all these characters and universes they're cramming in, how exactly are they going to make a coherent story from all of this? Unless most of them are just cameos and the main focus is still on Megaman and Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'm always surprised that companies are game for these kind of crossovers. I'd have naively imagined that the IP stuff would be such a hassle to make it not worth it.

To be honest, Archie's done a few crossovers with various IPs over the years. Off the top of my head there's this, The Punisher, Predator, TMNT and Sonic. Am I missing anything?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 7, 2017

• Locked thread