Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Waterhaul posted:

I am down with whatever crazy stuff Aguirre-Sacasa wants to do. Afterlife with Archie just continues to be great while still constantly having a feeling of "this really shouldn't exist". Like last weeks issue was easily one of the best small encapsulation of zombie horror in years while still being an Archie book that's attempting to push just how far it can go.

If you told me six months ago that one of the best books around would include Archie beating his father to death with a baseball bat I would have laughed it off as Deviant art levels of crazy fan fiction.

The premise and setup feel like bad fanfiction but it's really cool how much thought was put into what these characters would do in a zombie apocalypse. I'm also loving how things that were running jokes in the main series are shown in a whole new context in this title. Archie's jalopy was the butt of a lot of jokes in the strips but it's his saving grace in Afterlife.

I think the best part about Afterlife is how it shows the characters' personalities without the innocent, sitcom feel Archie comics are known for. Before the zombies even attack, Archie clearly shows how uncomfortable he is with his situation between Betty and Veronica and tells Reggie he's a fratboy prick to his face but in a matter-of-fact tone that I've never seen in the books.

Is Life with Archie kind of like that? An Archie title that takes itself a little more seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was at a Books A Million and found this Archie: the Adult Years collection. It's the third volume and switches between alternate futures where Archie marries Betty or Veronica. Didn't get it because I didn't wanna start in the middle but is it worth reading? The book mentions Reggie committing embezzlement and Moose running for mayor.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Oh so the Adult Years is Life with Archie? Sounds interesting and I might look for the first volume and try it out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Choco1980 posted:

Not going to lie, written today, a gender-swapped Archie might be an interesting read.

Would it? Gender-swap universe would be all those stories of Reggie and Archie one-upping each other to hook up with Veronica but with the characters shuffled.

I wanna know more about Megamind Archie over there.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was worried the series stopped but I'm glad Afterlife had more coming and looking forward to that Sabrina series.

• Locked thread