Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I love how Archie as a company has been evolving over the near decade I have been reading their books, from when I first found out the Barnes & Noble by my house carried the Sonic comic(around the time Ian started writing and at this point I mostly knew about the comics due to the cover gallery that was included in Sonic Mega Collection), which just kept getting better and better(I still loathe Penders immensely for almost ruining things, but at least the comic is still good, although I hope one day Archie can solve the legal issues and bring back most of the characters lost in legal limbo currently), and then Archie started getting better as well, eventually leading to the point that Archie is probably the most consistently high quality comics company around at the moment, which is pretty amazing considering a decade ago in 2004 Archie was practically the laughingstock of the industry in several respects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's too bad Jughead's comic is going to be stuck with an incredibly awful artist, Erica Henderson is just hilariously incompetent, almost single handedly making the Squirrel Girl comic over at Marvel unreadable(the writing isn't very good either but my god the art almost makes Land look like a talented artist in comparison)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I'd make some glib 'sorry your eyes don't work' joke here, but I genuinely can't see what people who say this stuff are seeing. I see a poppy, dynamic, cartoony/caricatured style loaded with charm when I look at Henderson. This isn't even a Humberto Ramos kind of thing where mostly it's "I dislike the aesthetic, but I get why people may like it", it's more like I assume their shop is selling out and getting the owner's 3 year to crayon some replacement copies of Squirrel Girl, because otherwise the division of opinion just doesn't make sense to me.

well besides the fact that she can't draw faces well at all(and everything else is pretty meh as well), she's also kind of a total twat on social media and can't take criticism at all(kinda like Slott and a fair amount of other people working at marvel these days) which in my opinion makes things even worse(say what you want about Liefield's drawing abilities but he's apparently a really nice and friendly person, which is a huge reason he still gets work in the industry despite being one of it's worst active artists)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Archie vs. Sharknado was surprisingly bloody. It was funny for what it was, though I think having it drawn by Dan Parent helped nail it down. I feel like there were about 1000 references that went right over my head, though I guess that makes sense since it is a Sharknado tie-in.

They got rid of Sabrina in a very lazy manner though even by Archie Horror standards, so that's definitely a minus for it(you'd think they'd figure out a better way to keep her from solving everything with her magic than just killing her off lazily and/or marrying her to Cthulhu)

Actually you know that makes me realize something, they really need to nerf Sabrina's power levels, cause this is a consistent issue with Sabrina when she shows up in stuff outside of her own title

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that why the Mega Man comic is ending?

No it's due to Archie's finances being in the toilet so they had to can both it and Sonic Boom's comic so they can fix things, Mega Man actually has a pretty good chance of coming back from this hiatus(it was actually selling pretty well unlike Boom), they're just being vague about it for some reason, probably to avoid causing a ruckus with the fanbase, so it'll probably be back in a year or two

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, I see. I hadn't been aware that Archie was in a bad way about money.

They're not doomed or anything, they just made some really dumb mistakes in the last year or two that's cost them a lot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, Penders has been hinting on the twitters that he's going to launch another Lawsuit at Archie.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/20/ken-penders-hints-second-lawsuit-in-tweet/

So the assumed reason is that Archie hasn't been reprinting any comics with 'his' characters or using them in stories. Which I don't think Archie is legally obligated to do, they're only legally obligated to pay him if they do them.

So can we all agree that the world would be a better place if he were to get hit by a train or something, hopefully Archie can stomp this one down fast before SEGA's ire is raised

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geizt posted:

It's actually over, then? I thought it was just going on extended hiatus or something.

They've been intentionally vague about it, so it could go either way, helps that the reason this is happening isn't due to sales(from what I recall Mega Man sold about as well as Sonic Universe most months), it's due to Archie's finances being so screwed up that they literally can't afford to print Mega Man or Sonic Boom's comic anymore, so it's possible that it could return in the future once things get better for Archie(assuming they hold onto the Mega Man rights)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I assume that's more due to the artists than anything.

It's probably a bit of both

Also if Archie does go under(since they've had a lot of problems lately), who do you think would buy up their stuff?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine Disney would be keen to have the feather in their cap.

Yeah Disney is probably the most likely candidate, although I can see Time-Warner/Turner or Viacom taking an interest, or maybe even one of the bigger non-Big Two publishers like IDW throwing a bid in

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning that another former Sonic writer has decided to sue Archie and Sega over the rights to their old characters(probably at the behest of Penders), hopefully Archie can take care of this before Sega gets mad at them again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know how poo poo Archie's contracts were, but any not-retarded comic company would include a fairly explicit Work for Hire clause about characters no?

Archie lost the original contracts in a fire, and due to it's lawyers at the time of the Penders trial being incompetent morons the backups they had got thrown out as being legally valid(Archie would fire these lawyers due to this), which is why that mess even made it to trial in the first place

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

X-O posted:

Is Archie being a gigantic klutz and screw up a carry over from the old comics? My entry point to Archie was pretty much Afterlife when I heard the buzz for it. But I have to say Archie crashing and burning at every job he gets is one of my favorite running gags ever. I could read a whole issue of Archie job montages.

Near as I can tell it is, although it had been downplayed a lot in more modern comics till the reboot

Also someone should post the ice cream fire scene, that one is my favorite

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Argue posted:

I liked how even in this modernized, more "grounded" take on the characters, they apparently still called each other "Little Archie", and presumably "Little Betty" and "Little Jughead" when they were kids, the same way they do in the Little Archie comics.

Also I have no evidence for this whatsoever, but since Ms. Grundy is, by leaps and bounds, so much further from her character than any other depicted on the show, I wonder if it's really her. Like, maybe a grifter who stole an old lady's identity or something? Betty's mom is the only other character who's a lot different from her comics character, but she also has a lot less visibility than Ms. Grundy does in the comics.

Maybe they'll introduce a relative later on who'll be closer to the comic's version, seems like the kind of thing I could see the show doing, kinda like how Smallville had two versions of Jimmy Olsen over its run(at least if I'm remembering correctly)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Apparently Marvel has just made a deal with Archie as well, to distribute digest comics for them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So if Archie goes down as an independent, who do you think will buy them out?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So apparently IDW now has the Sonic license, so I guess we'll need a new thread for the Sonic comics when they start publishing them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

feetnotes posted:

So hey am I allowed to post, say, old Wilbur or Katy Keene comics that are in the public domain? Would anyone be interested in seeing stuff like that in this thread? I thought it might liven up discussion or at least be fun to look at for a little bit. Not sure if that breaks rules.

If it's in the Public Domain it should be perfectly fine to post, maybe post some Golden Age MLJ Superhero comics as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Speaking of Archie screwing up, anyone got that panel from the first issue of the reboot where Archie somehow sets ice cream on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That guy's reaction is just pure comedy gold

• Locked thread