Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Otherwise the main title is basically the best thing Waid's writing, to the point where it almost feels like he's more focused on it than his Marvel work.

That might explain why Champions is hot garbage, Waid only has enough teen-speak in him to shoulder one book at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's more that he doesn't really try to use hip teen-speak in Archie, knowing that Archie is supposed to be timeless, to a point.

Also possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pacey slept with his teacher when I was a kid a billion years ago :shrug:

Yeah but was she hot?

Also Boston Public had numerous teacher/student sex plots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macaluso posted:

There were some fine honeys on that show.

Also that show was loving awesome.

This has nothing to do with Archie

I was just giving an example of the trope being used elsewhere!

But yes, many fine honeys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent_grey posted:

Whats the likelihood of Archie: The Married Life vol 1 getting reprinted? Its been out of print for a while while the rest are available. Im sure the series was super dumb but ive always wanted to read it.

I did just read The Wedding trade, and in the spirit of the chat about old men writing teenager dialogue over in the marvel thread, Dilton proclaiming that he was going to tell everyone of the engagement by "text-blast and e-blast" them was worth it alone.

As Archie's financial situation improves they are more likely to reissue popular sold out books. Just be patient.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you're right, but it's worth noting periodic hiatuses are much more of a thing these days. Saga in particular goes on hiatus constantly.

Archie comics going on hiatus is nothing like Saga's schedule breaks in publishing. Archie is still having financial problems on the publishing end and it hinders their ability to put material out in a timely manner. Saga has structured breaks in their publishing schedule because Fiona Staples can not put out 12 issues a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I've been waiting on an issue of The Shield for how long now? What's that? You've never heard of The Shield? Well it's a good comic that literally comes out like once a year so I'm not surprised you've never heard of it.

LoL, keep waiting my dude. That whole line has probably been binned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Archie's really hurting financially right now. The stupid "WHO GONNA DIE" thing was supposed to massively bump up orders but a few retailers called their bluff so that massive sales bump isn't as big as they expected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't think it's really a bluff when the writer actually says he's not killing anyone in interviews about it.

Their marketing team sent out press releases to retailers saying otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

I guess the disconnect between marketing and editorial isn't just a Marvel thing...

Don't get me started man!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe the company is privately owned currently? So unless the owners need money it won't be going anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They haven't released a new Sonic comic in like 6 months. They knew this was happening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Archie/Sega relationship has been by all reports, super lovely for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

How does IDW keep getting all the licenses anyway?

They make a pitch and if the owner of the IP likes it they are awarded the licence.

That or Ryall sucks a lot of dick.

• Locked thread