Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feetnotes posted:

I actually haven't watched the show yet cause I think I might hate it. If it's JUST "This ain't your daddy's Archie :mrapig: I prolly won't dig it but I have to give it a shot before I decide!
It's weird because the show is really, really true to the characters but just in a Gossip Girl context. So, you get a scene where Jughead is investigating a murder. But he's investigating it at Pop's and Pop's looks exactly like Pop's and he steals his witness's ice cream while he grills him. And he's still wearing the crown. He's unarguably Jughead, just in a world with a different set of rules. It's also worth noting that it's a show that lets Veronica just strive as a character. It's a great performance and her threatening to scorch the Earth on privileged miscreants--her words--after being slut shamed works because it's over the top in a way that feels true to the character.

It's loyal to the comics without being true to them. It's also a comedy that never tips its hat or winks, but clearly knows how ridiculous it is. For all it's too clever dialogue, it still lets its characters do the work.

EDIT: Also spoiler about Grundy, turns out that Ms. Grundy is not just really old, but dead. And whoever Archie is sleeping with stole her identity.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread