Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

Boxer's Omen indeed owns but I didn't even realize it was a Shaw film, since it feels so different from most of their catalogue.

They made some bomb rear end horror movies in the late 70s-80s. Titles like Black Magic I+II, Ghost Eyes, Bewitched, and more: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063643093/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Are there any women-led drunken-style fighting films out there?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ynohtna posted:

Are there any women-led drunken-style fighting films out there?

Story of Drunken Master from 1979 is a brother/sister duo, and Sharon Yeung gets some great moves

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Watched a pretty cool SB flick called The Black Tavern last night. Seems to be a pretty direct inspiration for The Hateful 8, but more fun. Lots of great fights, pretty nice camera work (including some interesting shots during one of the outdoor fights) and a great cast of characters. Highly recommended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5EK1bYKIo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

E: I was wrong

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 3, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was bored and came up with the idea for a movie genre compass, because charts are fun. How do you guys feel about this?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'd swap out big trouble in little china for say, God of Cookery, because I don't consider BTiLC to be a kung fu movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's a shitload of Kung Fu in it though?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I tried to put mostly famous titles on there as sort of a primer to the genre I guess. Big Trouble is a spoof of horror wuxia films so I think it counts, even if it doesn't have much pure kung fu in it. Neither does Love on Delivery but I still think it fits the genre. Going to watch some more movies this weekend to see if I can't weed out some of the weaker picks and to add diversity. I'd love to get some Sammo Hung on there and maybe Who Killed Captain Alex?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"That's a filthy habit, Jackie. It'll kill you if you don't quit."
"So you mean if I quit smoking I'll be unkillable?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4zvkBnlp2k

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Story of Drunken Master from 1979 is a brother/sister duo, and Sharon Yeung gets some great moves

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for this strong recommendation. Thank you!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

I was bored and came up with the idea for a movie genre compass, because charts are fun. How do you guys feel about this?

Where does The Grandmaster sit relative to IP Man

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Want to ask, how do you guys feel about hitting the gym to practice martial arts? I did boxing a little bit just before the pandemic hit, and now I just feel so anxious to go back to my gym. Not sure if my fears of maybe getting covid in gyms are overblown or if playing it safe is the right call. My family in particular is immunocompromised so I've been very conservative about activities.

Right now, I think I wanna start again but maybe keep my mask on and distance myself as much as I can in class (unless we have like partner drills or something like that) and pass on any sparring sessions. Not sure if that's realistic.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Artelier posted:

Want to ask, how do you guys feel about hitting the gym to practice martial arts? I did boxing a little bit just before the pandemic hit, and now I just feel so anxious to go back to my gym. Not sure if my fears of maybe getting covid in gyms are overblown or if playing it safe is the right call. My family in particular is immunocompromised so I've been very conservative about activities.

Right now, I think I wanna start again but maybe keep my mask on and distance myself as much as I can in class (unless we have like partner drills or something like that) and pass on any sparring sessions. Not sure if that's realistic.

Our martial arts teacher taught outdoors and when they couldn't be out made everyone wear masks, said it was good resistance training, heh. But he's hardcore. Try and find a place like that?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

iko beat up an interior designer (allegedly)

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/article/3181648/iko-uwais-indonesian-martial-arts-star-who-rose-fame-hollywood-and

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/master-of-the-flying-guillotine-posters-on-sale-info

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched Yes, Madam!, definitely a product of its era and a very fun watch. I loved all the unnecessary wardrobe changes the Michelle and Cynthia had. The ending was abrupt and kinda nonsensical but the action was good.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
How did you watch it? Like is there a cost effective(free) way to watch these hong kong classics that aren't :filez:?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

How did you watch it? Like is there a cost effective(free) way to watch these hong kong classics that aren't :filez:?

A surprising amount are on YouTube due to murky copyright.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Tubi has a really good martial arts selection, it's a free app with ads. Great horror picks too.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Tubi has a really good martial arts selection, it's a free app with ads. Great horror picks too.

Nice, I'll check it out

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It was files sadly, I don't even know where Yes, Madam! is available. It isn't listed on justwatch.com

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just Watch isn't always accurate. See, Yes Madam is clearly on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/667983/yes-madam?start=true

Uh, wait a second

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Just Watch isn't always accurate. See, Yes Madam is clearly on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/667983/yes-madam?start=true

Uh, wait a second

I just randomly scrubbed to what I hope is the weirdest part of that movie...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
:smith: RIP Gene Lebell

dude should have choked out Steven Seagal just a little bit longer

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

he was still alive???? rip to pink choke king

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Ready for some original footage? Okay, here's Thrilling Sword from 1981: https://youtu.be/MDRdT0N5UH4

Some super fun laser wuxia action, with a really gross meatball man and tons of cheesy 80s optical effects. Boutique label "Gold Ninja Video" just put out a limited edition BLU-RAY (!!!) of this film from a 2k scan, and it's already sold out! I did just see goon Tars Tarkas say over at his site (he provided a commentary track) that they're going to reissue it at some point tbd. I will definitely be watching out for that, this is like the low budget sleaze version of Buddha's Palm.

Hey, missed this when it was first posted but the reprint of the bluray is up on pre-order as part of a two-disc set at gold ninja - https://goldninjavideo.com/

The guy who does the commentary on Revengeful Swordswoman (Dylan Cheung) is pretty good and it is a new scan of the print which looks way better than the versions you can find easily online. It stars Chia Ling/Judy Lee and has a guy who shoots metal skull rockets at people

https://twitter.com/GoldNinjaVideo/status/1558821450534031361

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hey, missed this when it was first posted but the reprint of the bluray is up on pre-order as part of a two-disc set at gold ninja - https://goldninjavideo.com/

The guy who does the commentary on Revengeful Swordswoman (Dylan Cheung) is pretty good and it is a new scan of the print which looks way better than the versions you can find easily online. It stars Chia Ling/Judy Lee and has a guy who shoots metal skull rockets at people

https://twitter.com/GoldNinjaVideo/status/1558821450534031361

YESSS! Never saw Revengeful Swordswoman but it looks awesome too. I remember I used to binge thru the reviews of weirdo Asian movies on your site, Boy With Magic Box and the like.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pre-ordered that double pack. Very excited to get to watch those movies they look sick.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/shawscope-volume-two-limited-edition/13941080.html

Arrow Video put up a page for Shawscope Vol 2. It comes out in November.

Films:

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Return to the 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Disciples of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Five Superfighters
Invincible Shaolin
Kid with the Golden Arm
Magnificent Ruffians
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
My Young Auntie
Mercenaries from Hong Kong
The Boxer's Omen
Martial Arts of Shaolin
The Bare-Footed Kid

I've seen 9/14. I'd buy this even if I had seen them all a hundred times tbh.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's an incredible lineup

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

YESSS! Never saw Revengeful Swordswoman but it looks awesome too. I remember I used to binge thru the reviews of weirdo Asian movies on your site, Boy With Magic Box and the like.

Thanks for reading, hopefully will get back to it by the end of the year, lots of neat rare things popped up in the two years I have been on babby hiatus

Like this Korean monster movie - Space Monster Wangmagwi - https://www.scifijapan.com/kaiju-mo...n-monster-movie

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Funny question but I remember a weapon referred to as "capital chopper" or something like that but I can't remember what movie or weapon it was.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Funny question but I remember a weapon referred to as "capital chopper" or something like that but I can't remember what movie or weapon it was.

Pu Dao (horse chopper?)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A sublabel of Terracotta Films called 88 films (I hope that's not an allusion to what it sounds like) is releasing a bunch of Jackie Chan Golden Harvest films in November, and the region is listed as ABC, this should mean I can watch it on a North American DVD player from the googling I did, is that correct?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Oracle posted:

Pu Dao (horse chopper?)

zhanmadao is the horse chopper.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A sublabel of Terracotta Films called 88 films (I hope that's not an allusion to what it sounds like) is releasing a bunch of Jackie Chan Golden Harvest films in November, and the region is listed as ABC, this should mean I can watch it on a North American DVD player from the googling I did, is that correct?

88 is considered a lucky number in China (also greater Asia?) so it's not unusual to see 88 associated with Chinese cultural stuff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

First the swastika, now the number 88. Every E Asian symbol of luck will be coopted by Nazis eventually.

Anyways Region A is North America so they should work fine.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I'm a big fan of this guy's Twitter and now YouTube since he does a lot of video quality / color grading comparisons such that sometimes, having your TV/player upscale a DVD is actually the best looking option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NUC5qz4gE

As far as 88 Films goes: while I have some of their releases, I generally only go for them if they're the only place selling the thing (example: Mark Dacascos' Drive on Blu-Ray). There are two reasons for this: first, when multiple labels have releases of a given title such that you can compare, the video quality of 88 Films releases is generally not the best compared to other boutique labels, even if they frequently have the nicest packaging (and every once in a while the best audio mix).

Second, the people who run 88 Films do seem to continually make some iffy posts and questionable decisions, and so I'm wary to give them the benefit of the doubt. For instance, it was only until about a week or two ago that they decided they would no longer work with Bey Logan, who despite having a colossal amount of knowledge, access, and exclusive materials is too closely involved with the Harvey Weinstein #MeToo sexual assault stuff for the comfort of many. Those raising objections to that working relationship on their social media generally get blocked/banned/etc. Make of that what you will.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I DM'd them about the name and they said it was a BTTF reference. They take you back to the past by selling retro movies or something? Eh whatever. I doubt they're Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
seen at Brooklyn's Spectacle Theater yesterday: The Dragon Lives Again, the infamously bizarre Bruceploitation feature in which “Bruce Lee” awakens in the underworld (which looks suspiciously like the real one, or rather how you’d expect the "real world" to look in a low-budget martial arts film from 1977) and quickly becomes embroiled in a power struggle for the throne involving numerous copyright-infringing knockoffs of iconic pop-culture characters, including “Clint Eastwood” as the Man with No Name, “James Bond,” Dracula, “The Godfather,” “The Exorcist,” “Emmanuelle,” and “Popeye,” among others. I can't say it quite lives up to that premise - among other things, it's too talky, the fight choreography isn't great, and there's some pretty bad comedy - but you can't really come away with ill will towards a movie in which "Bruce Lee" defeats Dracula by kicking him in the head with a literal "third leg," or where a Hong Kong Popeye knockoff downs a can of spinach before defeating a gang of mummies in a kung fu fight.