Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Regardless of all that, I hope he doesn't mean he's done making movies.

edit:the guy is almost 40 now! I'm guessing he's lost his touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Forty is nothing. He's got six decades of movies left in him probably.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Keep in mind, Jackie Chan was forty when he made Drunken Master 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Exactly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moller posted:

In the version of the story I read at the time, he rode off on an elephant after pissing off said bosses. I hope that part is true.

The ideal version of reality really is any one that involves riding an elephant away from your pissed off boss.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Either he pissed off some flavor of Asian mob or he pissed off his bosses in the film industry depending who you ask,
These two things are pretty much intertwined in Asia still.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it could totally be both honestly

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
The Thai mafia are looking to get some of that Furious franchise money, then

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Keep in mind that Jackie Chan is pretty much a one of a kind, freak talent both in front of and behind the camera.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I already posted this in the "Identify a movie for me" thread a couple of weeks ago, but maybe the chances of someone knowing this movie are better in here.

I posted:

Mine's a Kung Fu movie as well, and I also only remember the ending, the final fight to be precise. There's the two good guys and as one of them fights the villain, the other one is throwing sheets of paper with drawings of different techniques (I think animal-based, like scorpion etc.) in sequence so they appear almost like an animation which the first guy is using as a guide to defeat his opponent.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

FeastForCows posted:

I already posted this in the "Identify a movie for me" thread a couple of weeks ago, but maybe the chances of someone knowing this movie are better in here.

The end of Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is similar, minus the animations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FeastForCows posted:

I think the Scorpion King (not the one with the Rock) has a similar sequence.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huh. Jackie Chan's putting out an autobiography in April, and actually talks frankly about poo poo like all his extramarital affairs. Far as I know the only biography of him is My Life and is pretty dated (and sanitized) so this should be interesting.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Boinks posted:

The end of Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is similar, minus the animations.

Holy poo poo, I think that's it. I don't know where I got the bit with the "animation" from (maybe still from a different movie), but I'm pretty sure I was thinking of this one. Thanks!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

FeastForCows posted:

Holy poo poo, I think that's it. I don't know where I got the bit with the "animation" from (maybe still from a different movie), but I'm pretty sure I was thinking of this one. Thanks!

No problem! I actually just watched it a few weeks ago so it was fresh in my mind.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Watching Chan practice the 'Concubine' move always cracks me up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oracle posted:

Huh. Jackie Chan's putting out an autobiography in April, and actually talks frankly about poo poo like all his extramarital affairs. Far as I know the only biography of him is My Life and is pretty dated (and sanitized) so this should be interesting.

I mean his son might be getting executed for weed, I think any hope of his image staying completely untarnished is pretty much gone so it makes sense for him to just own it and hope for the best.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean his son might be getting executed for weed, I think any hope of his image staying completely untarnished is pretty much gone so it makes sense for him to just own it and hope for the best.
They let him out in Feb. I think he'll pull through.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ah, he got let out? I remember the buzz was he was probably gonna die when I heard about it. Still, sort of beside the point- the PR mess probably shook Jackie up a little about this stuff.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Ah, he got let out? I remember the buzz was he was probably gonna die when I heard about it. Still, sort of beside the point- the PR mess probably shook Jackie up a little about this stuff.
Almost nobody rich and connected in China gets actual consequences for their actions. He was definitely mightily pissed his kid got caught I'm sure, but I seriously doubt his life was ever in any danger.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm bummed so I'm going to watch Nine Demons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdZtCRAe0w

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any modern female martial arts stars that are worth watching? I liked Yanin Vismitananda in Chocolate and Raging Phoenix, but I don't really know anyone else.

Yeoh was good in Reign of Assassins five years ago, I guess.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Gina Carano and Ronda Rousey are some of the few actual martial artists in films these days.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looked them up. Haywire starring Carano looks decent.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Luxia Jiang is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFR9mPs99oo

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Haywire is amazing. the movie is ground breaking, doing stuff on film that has never been done before imho

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Haywire owns, but a lot of it is slower paced and more serious than you might expect. It's not like Taken where everything is a pretext for constantly murdering scumbags.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Carano is not a pro actor and the whole movie is built around that fact to try and turn it into a strength. i loving hate hollywood and how they usually portray women like a pile of emotions ready to explode when something in their love life goes wrong. They have her portray someone that talks like someone would talk or act in real life and not like someone would in a movie, she doesnt always show the emotions of her character so the viewer can see it 100% of the time, real people can hide their emotions from others while still having those emotions inside of them.

they use natural sound and show the movement and the impact from the strikes in the same shot, it has tons of cuts but they dont hide anything they just give you a better angle to see every move ALSO NO SHAKY CAM. Its like what a fight looks and sounds like in a dojo where there is nobody around shouting or making any noise like you see in the ufc where there are thousands of screaming fans in the audience. they take this reality and then up the brutality level and flashyness by a lot so you get fight scenes that are increadibly effective on the viewer

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im gonna watch the raid now and see what that thing is all about.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slaapaav posted:

Carano is not a pro actor and the whole movie is built around that fact to try and turn it into a strength. i loving hate hollywood and how they usually portray women like a pile of emotions ready to explode when something in their love life goes wrong. They have her portray someone that talks like someone would talk or act in real life and not like someone would in a movie, she doesnt always show the emotions of her character so the viewer can see it 100% of the time, real people can hide their emotions from others while still having those emotions inside of them.

they use natural sound and show the movement and the impact from the strikes in the same shot, it has tons of cuts but they dont hide anything they just give you a better angle to see every move ALSO NO SHAKY CAM. Its like what a fight looks and sounds like in a dojo where there is nobody around shouting or making any noise like you see in the ufc where there are thousands of screaming fans in the audience. they take this reality and then up the brutality level and flashyness by a lot so you get fight scenes that are increadibly effective on the viewer

Yeah it's just a shame there's only like 2 brief fight scenes in the whole movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
For old school female martial artists, you really need to check out the Heroic Trio. Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, and Michelle Yeoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSMUo7XjEIk

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Quote not edit...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The problem with Haywire is it's set up like The Raid with a relatively bare plot that serves as a pretext for murdering fools... and then proceeds to only have a couple of scenes of murdering fools and a whole lot of just straight up nothing happening, including the non-ending.

e: I legitimately thought I was at the halfway point of the movie when it ended, then the credits rolled and I was like "...wait, WHAT? That was loving it?"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going through the list in the OP, really really enjoyed Come Drink With Me, I like the idea of a tiered system of bad guys that the main dude has to kill. With that knowledge, should my next series be Lady Snowblood or One Armed Boxer? I'm mostly looking for ridiculousness instead of seriousness.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Slaapaav posted:

Sold.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The problem with Haywire is it's set up like The Raid with a relatively bare plot that serves as a pretext for murdering fools... and then proceeds to only have a couple of scenes of murdering fools and a whole lot of just straight up nothing happening, including the non-ending.

e: I legitimately thought I was at the halfway point of the movie when it ended, then the credits rolled and I was like "...wait, WHAT? That was loving it?"
I don't really mind that. One of my favourite films with martial arts (maybe not really a martial arts movie) is Red Belt, which has relatively few fights, but they all mean something.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

For old school female martial artists, you really need to check out the Heroic Trio. Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, and Michelle Yeoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSMUo7XjEIk
Yeah, I loved Heroic Trio. That's part of the reason I was curious whether there were actresses of similar stature today.

e: Found Iron Angels on youtube and it's pretty badass.

Haha this has an amazing synth soundtrack.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 19, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Abu Dave posted:

I'm going through the list in the OP, really really enjoyed Come Drink With Me, I like the idea of a tiered system of bad guys that the main dude has to kill. With that knowledge, should my next series be Lady Snowblood or One Armed Boxer? I'm mostly looking for ridiculousness instead of seriousness.

More or less every Shaw Bros movie directed by Chang Cheh, almost to an absurd degree.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

I don't really mind that. One of my favourite films with martial arts (maybe not really a martial arts movie) is Red Belt, which has relatively few fights, but they all mean something.

Redbelt like, has the decency to have things happen when people aren't punching each other, though. Haywire was a little bit of punching and a whole lot of jack poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Abu Dave posted:

Also, One Armed Boxer, simply because Master of the Flying Guillotine is the best goddamn thing ever

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

More or less every Shaw Bros movie directed by Chang Cheh, almost to an absurd degree.

Guess i'm going through the One Armed series then, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Those are some loving amazing legs she's got. She needs a better choreographer, but holy crap what an athlete.