Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ChaosReaper posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for movies that use weapons more than hand to hand fighting? I recently watched the movie Revenger and in the middle is a pretty drat good fight scene involving machetes and swords. It was a bit more "grounded" than the Wuxia style I've normally seen use weapons. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but I've had no luck searching.

You could try thread favorite Heroes of the East or the significantly more grim Eight-Diagram Polefighter.

Edit: If we're branching out from HK cinema, how about modern indonesian stab-em-up The Night Comes for Us on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Really enjoyed the Black Magic subgenre discussion. We've been binging on those and Taiwanese kid's wuxia lately.

Also on the topic of vaguely spooky HK things, this is your regular reminder that The Untold Story: Human Meat Roast Pork Buns is streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I could really use that Mo rerelease right about now. It would be awesome to have Bewitched on Blu too.

In other extremely expensive disc news, apparently a label called Unearthed got the rights to Untold Story and will be releasing a Blu

In vaguely on-topic Amazon Prime news, looks like Miike's Happiness of the Katakuris is on prime streaming. As well, as, uh, Ninja III: The Domination.

Prime does have a bunch of early-mid 70s HK/Taiwan stuff with names like Little Mad Guy and Fearless Fighters but I have no idea what if any hidden gems are in there. Did notice the Yuen Biao flick Prodigal Son when I was scrolling through the dozens of vaguely titled chopsockies.

e. Oh, hey, Thundering Mantis is on Prime.

moller fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 27, 2020

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I was really befuddled at how Ninja III had the money for all those special effects, but the magic ninja sword looks like cardboard.

I liked how the main character and her apartment seemed to be lifted directly from Flashdance.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Hello HK thread,

Does anyone know if the Twilight Time Blu of Snake in Eagle's Shadow has the original cantonese track with the Jean Michele Jarre and Bond movie score?

Also, anyone with Amazon Prime should check out Kuei Chih-Hung's Killer Constable.

To me this movie seemed to have a very japanese sensibility, like an early pulpy seijun suzuki flick or something. A HK movie where swords hurt and everyone is a shithead. Directed by the guy who did Bewitched and Boxer's Omen.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Another Godfrey Ho movie worth (?) checking out is Undefeatable, which he directed under a pseudonym. It's not a movie-loaf like the ninja films but a semi-competent Cynthia Rothrock kickboxing/revenge joint. The villain Stingray is pretty memorable in a "needs therapy" sort of way. The end bit was immortalized as an early internet video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3BQGgj4Qs

Spoiler warning for Undefeatable - watch the movie instead! or don't!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

If anyone is in Chicago the Music Box is screening Boxer’s Omen tomorrow.

https://musicboxtheatre.com/films/the-boxers-omen

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Godfrey "Hall" is not exactly hiding his true identity lol

And yeah Undefeatable is a decent movie. Cynthia Rothrock is always awesome.

One big warning for that movie though: there is a really :yikes: sexual assault scene in there you probably want to skip past.

Yeah I was going to go more into the psychopathology of Stingray in my post but I wasn’t sure how to do it without being icky. I think Stingray fantasizes about performing sexual assault while beating a guy to death? Also there’s like an Oedipal incest angle to it?

Okay, maybe don’t watch Undefeatable.

Edit: Okay, maybe it was more Hitchcock's Vertigo than Oedipus.

moller fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 16, 2021

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Cat was also a Wisely movie like The Seventh Curse, starring some pulp adventurer scholar character that I don't really get at all having watched two Wisely movies. Apparently had a bunch of novels starting in the 60s.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1513691799755362307

Big, if true.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

So, about that ending...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I vote Wheels on Meals for the most Sammo Hung-rear end Sammo Hung movie.

Encounters of the Spooky Kind was also kind of a genre-definer.