Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The "art of fighting without fighting" scene is a favorite of mine to this day.

So much of the coolness of that movie is in the way Lee delivers his lines. "It is like a finger, pointing away to da moon..."

edit: I guess the sequel to Drunken Master is too modern for the theme of this thread? The fight choreography in that is untouchable in my opinion.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

Thing about Chan is his best films aren't really martial arts movies. They all incorporate martial arts, but when I think of Jackie Chan I think of Police Story, Rumble in the Bronx, Who Am I, and then his later American films. I would never discount the inclusion of his earlier work on the genre (Drunken Master is basically required viewing), but Chan in his prime and at his best was the spectacle of stuntwork and choreography, with the martial arts serving to back those up. Traditional kung fu flicks are also thematically very different from the films he became famous for.

This would be true if The Legend of Drunken Master (Drunken Master II) didn't exist. It's the pinnacle of Chan's physical humor (I don't think he could abuse himself like that when he got a little older) and the fight scenes are really just masterpieces. It has the Axe Gang fight to top all Axe Gang fights (arguably I guess) and the final sequence is just flat out amazing. My memory's not totally clear on this but I think the last bad guy was portrayed by Chan's real life bodyguard, and the scene resulted in some actual serious injury to both parties. I wish I was better at describing films so I could do more than just rave about how great this movie is, but you work with what you got I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A world in which Drunken Master 2 "doesn't count" is not a world I want to live in.

Yesss.