Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

What's I love about sammo hung is how completely off guard he catches you with his round physique, then suddenly BAM super agile kung fu master.

'The magnificent Butcher' is pretty awesome too.

My favourite Sammo Hung fight in one of his best, however lesser known, movies: Pedicab Driver.

Sammo Hung vs. Lau Kar-Leung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Wrageowrapper posted:

PS. If you're one of the ironic types who really like god awful abominations of film then let me just leave you with these words. Fantasy Mission Force

Love this movie! You might regret watching it, but you'll never forget it!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

SlipUp posted:

A great change of pace narrative in the martial arts genre. Whereas Bruce Lee is a stoic man of virtue that no man can lay a hand on, Sonny Chiba is a cowardly and ruthless mercenary, bandit, occasional slaver. His fights are a mess of broken bones and blood, not philosophical art. I highly recommend it as one of the best martial arts movies of all time.

I'm a big fan of the Street Fighter series! Sonny Chiba spits and hisses at bad guys before ripping them to shreds with his bare hands. Awesome!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Illinois Smith posted:

Speaking of Jimmy Wang Yu, I'm gonna throw out a recommendation for The Man From Hong-Kong.

This is like the polar opposite of those 80s Jackie Chan movies where he tried to enter the American market but ended up in lovely buddy cop movies where he shoots and swears a lot. It's a joint Australian-Hong Kong co-production released two years after Enter The Dragon that features The One-Armed Boxer vs James Bond well, George Lazenby anyhow with fight choreography by Sammo Hung.

This is a great one! Great car chases (like most ozploitation), great action, great stunts, hilarious dialogue -- it's all there. I watch this one a couple times a year. Speaking of movies I watch a couple times a year, I believe you were talking about The Protector, a violent buddy cop movie with Jackie Chan and Danny Aiello of all people! It has comedy, nudity, explosions, cartoonish violence, racism and piss poor american fight choreography. It's not great, but it's a lot of fun!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

hseiken posted:

I'm a sucker for:

And I really hope this post belongs here...forgive me if this belongs elsewhere and I'll take my business right out of here.

I think the movie is a special kind of poop, but one thing that I actually do like that's not a 'so bad it's good' aspect of the movie, but an actually a, no poo poo, "this is cool stuff" is the soundtrack. I discovered by accident that three of the soundtrack cues in the movie is actually from ROCKY ("Philidelphia Morning", "Marines' Hymn Yankee Doodle" and "Reflections"). This got me thinking that the rest of the tracks are likely stolen from other sources. However, I've not been successful in locating any of them. Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this movie concerning soundtrack sources? I've looked on IMDB and several reviews including a fansite on the movie and none really research the soundtrack (though they did figure out "Bruce K. L. Lea" is actually Jun Chong who instructs Tae Kwon Do in LA currently) so that brings us to the gist of this post.

I was hoping maybe someone else has sat through this stinker of a movie recognized some of the tunes and could post title/artist or even leads as to where to look.

It's a public domain movie and is on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rEXS99dDI

Here are time stamps for the youtube link for all song cues (without posting repeats as several make multiple appearances). I've also pointed out the ones I've ID'd.

(NOTE: Only first movie cue of track listed, tune may appear in longer length elsewhere in film)

0:00:15 <-- also used on the trailer, seems to be completely uncut on the trailer which goes for 2 minutes.
0:00:42 <-- super funky spy sounding...James Bond soundtrack?
0:04:38 <-- the flugelhorn blues track, used constantly in the film...Blue Note?
0:05:00 <-- used twice I think, sounds like another film soundtrack
0:08:54 <-- used a couple of times, another one seemingly from a better movie's OST
0:09:20 <-- is this part of 0:09:32 or another cue?
0:09:32 <-- Godfather maybe? Some 70's mobster movie?
0:09:46 <-- good ol' lazy jazz/funk stuff...no idea even where to look for this
0:12:59 <-- DANGER! Another OST ripoff? Maybe same as 0:05:00's source?
0:17:14 <-- super groovy tune, the one I want to find most of all...shades of madlib digging in Blue Note's catalog...
0:19:52 <-- I swear I've heard tons of variations on this throughout 70's kung fu cinema. Various portions of same tune?
0:21:44 <-- also seems like classic 70's cheap soundtrack mill stuff...?
0:21:51 <-- ROCKY OST "Reflections"
0:22:28 <-- Also ROCKY? I didn't recognize it in the fanfares
0:22:54 <-- drat, this is some speedy funky fresh poo poo. I thought maybe it might be Spirit of Atlanta...nope. It also sounds edited, as if there might be singing or other elements that were undesirable cut out...
0:26:14 <-- possibly a western soundtrack? Would seem fitting in the context of the scene...the shadowy stranger at high noon.
0:26;59 <-- elevator bossa nova, but still...it begs to be ID'd...
0:28:27 <-- ROCKY "Philidelpha Morning"
0:31:23 <-- some synth-accordion love theme? Played pretty much from start to finish...
0:39:02 <-- Enter the Dragon?! Confirm? I don't have the OST
0:40:07 <-- check out the drums on this one...groovy! Needs ID for sure!
0:41:32 <-- goofy musical cue of a couple of low basson/saxaphone/tuba or something...menacing or comical? You decide!
0:43:07 <-- not only is this the most random scene in the movie (hard to achieve in random scene-ness which comprises the entire scope of the film) but the most out of place musical cue, lasts 1 second. Just an orchestral stab with evil dripped on it.
0:43:23 <-- horror film? What is this doing in a kung fu flick? ID...maybe Exorcist or something?
0:48:54 <-- sounds like it could be an edit of the western theme? No idea...
0:50:21 <-- more Exorcist?
0:51:00 <-- more James Bond? Or what?
0:51;50 <-- okay, one unidentified tune played on another...I HATE THIS MOVIE! ;)
0:52:33 <-- library music? This is making my head hurt...so many possible sources...music director is evil.
0:53:51 <-- ROCKY "Marine Hymn Yankee Doodle"
0:55:37 <-- is there no end to the music this movie borrows from?
1:04:29 <-- and another curveball...maybe the same soundtrack from 0:09:32? (an aside note...dig that spring reverb on the shoes, bro!)
1:04:58 <-- seriously, I can't tell anymore if this is more of a previous track or not...OST experts, here's your time to shine! Of special note, it seems to directly go right into the track at 0:40:07...or maybe that's just clever editing?
1:08:17 <-- surely someone can recognize the origins of that sinister percussion...or is it sinister windup toy?
1:09:49 <-- I don't even know anymore...is this a part of an earlier theme? You've got me...No idea...help!
1:16:44 <-- seemingly out of place musical cue...soundtrack guy out to lunch on this...but the source..?

And that's it. I do hope people can point me in the right direction.
Thanks for help in advance. Again, if this post is deemed to be moved, may I request it be moved with all info in tact.

I don't know the musical cues but I want to pitch in with my two cents. This film is one of the best pieces of Bruceploitation eber created. A Korean, who looks nothing like Bruce Lee, fights a Village People-esque gang of henchman (a Mexican, a Cowboy, a Chinese, a Japanese swordsman and a tall black dude) while investigating his friend's death. Truly a product of the mid-70's!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Folderol posted:

There seem to be a number of Shaw Brothers collections available, but (and I guess it's because it's been a hell of a long time since the Kung Fu Theatre days when I used to watch kick flicks on a regular basis) I don't recognize any of the titles. Are any of the collections worth buying?

The ones released by Dragon Dynasty are definitely worth a look. When it comes to Shaw Brothers films the only distributors worth a drat are Dragon Dynasty/Celestial

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
While doing some late-night wikipedia'ing I came across some sad news. One week ago Sir Run Run Shaw passed away at the tender age of 106. Everyone reading this thread, whether they know it or not, owes a lot to him. If it wasn't for Shaw Brothers Studios, this thread would not exist.

This week, in honor of him, I will rewatch all my favourites and post reviews in this thread when and where I can. Kung Fu Cinema will never die and, with luck, it's influence will be felt for years to come.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish they'd put Pedicab Driver out proper in Canada/US.

Jesus Christ this. Pedicab Driver is probably the best, unknown martial arts film of all time. Incredible fights (Sammo vs Chia-Liang Liu), great action (pedicab/car chase), comedy, romance, drama and a star-studded cast (Dick Wei!). This is an absolutely MUST-SEE film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's always rapes played for chuckles too which I'll never get the stomach for.

Avoid Sammo's The Iron-Fisted Monk (1977) at all costs!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm a big fan of Jet Li's Twin Warriors aka Tai Chi Master (1983) when it comes to early wire-fu epics. Sometimes the best kind of martial arts movies are the ones that are completely bonkers!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

brocked posted:

Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind

This is one of my all-time favourites, it's just so goofy! Sammo gets tricked into fighting a vampire (twice!), Sammo fights his own possessed hand, Sammo gets possessed by the Monkey God, there's a wizard duel, hopping vampires, slapstick comedy and more incredible kung fu!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish they'd put a proper Pedicab Driver release out.

Couldn't agree more, probably one of the best martial arts flicks out there that nobody's heard of. The fight between Sammo Hung and Chia-liang Liu is among the best I've ever seen!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Abu Dave posted:

Holy poo poo @ Return of the Five Deadly Venoms. :stare:

Are there other notable Venom movies? I really like this gang

Anything director Cheh Chang does should be similar. These movies are pretty drat fruity, but it's all the same crew and all the same plot line.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
To go back to "crazy martial arts movies" I want to recommend anything that has Chinese martial arts combined with sorcery. For starters, Sammo Hung's Spooky Encounters might be the easiest to find. If you can find it though, The Seventh Curse is the best of the best in my mind!

As for Fantasy Mission Force, I have it on a cheap 3-pack with 36 Crazy Fists and Young Master. Haven't watched the DVD itself (seen all the films on their own long ago) but for $4 I couldn't go wrong. I don't see it on Amazon now, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find.

While Fantasy Mission Force is completely bonkers, I've always been partial to Jackie's Spiritual Kung Fu. In said movie, Jackie learns kung fu from 5 miniature ghosts wearing red wigs and tutus, this is after he pees on them mind you. Aside from the craziness there are some wicked fight scenes here capped off with Jackie and a pair of tonfa taking on almost two dozen staff-wielding monks. So, yeah, check these both out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a couple of Korean movies with a broadly equitable style, like A Bittersweet Life and A City of Violence.

Agreed. A Bittersweet Life is one of my favourite Korean movies of all time! In terms of hectic tempo similar to the Raid films, check out the newest Judge Dredd movie (titled "Dredd"), and a french zombie film called "The Horde". Going back a bit further, I'd recommend some 70's/80's action stuff like: "Enemy Territory", "Vigilante", "Assault on Precinct 13" and "The Warriors".

Should be noted however, that none of these aforementioned movies fall into the Martial Arts category, but instead reside in the generic Action genre. There Will Be Guns.

Starscream fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 11, 2016